main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get in line - A Social Countdown to Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003

:_|

"Here kitty kitty kitty! Jonesy! Jonesy!"

2. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    RIP Harry Dean Stanton. What an amazing career this guy had. My first exposure to his work is still as gripping as ever:

I didn't see 'Alien' 'til a bit later than 'Red Dawn'. VHS era and all...

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    RIP Harry Dean Stanton.

On a happier note:
    I saw "IT" tonight. Quite good. The kids are great, and I enjoyed Bill's take on Pennywise. They left out some of the creepier sound effects from the trailer (bummer), and I didn't care for the score. It also had a few poor cgi moments, but overall I really liked it, and plan to see it again.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Is the remake of IT just with more modern effects compared to the original one, or has it some new story elements? How do you compare it in general to the original version?

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I've never seen the original all the way through. When I was a kid, I was too scared to watch it.

6. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    ohhh, it was one of my fave King versions done onscreen and it was nice that John Boy from the Waltons was in this version as well. :p

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, the cast were excellent pretty much across the board, and Tim Curry was so good that I don't know if I can think of Pennywise as anyone else.

Luke'sSeveredHand and nightangel like this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't compare them, but I can say that the new cast was quite good.

nightangel likes this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's only the flashback part of the story, when they were kids, correct?

nightangel likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, it's only the story of when they were kids. And, the kids did a great job. Sophia Lillis, who plays Beverly, is going to be a star.

nightangel and Artoo-Dion like this.
  11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    ahhh, so it is only the first part of the story? I guess part 2 will follow then as a movie?

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes.

thejeditraitor and nightangel like this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the tv movie has not aged well.

14. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I have the tv movie 'IT' on dvd in my Stephen King collection. The new version starts in cinema on 27th September in Germany. May give it a try.

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I never particularly liked the TV movie, although Tim Curry's performance was really good. I loved the new film, though. I went with my girlfriend, my brother, my best friend and his girlfriend; we all instantly wanted to watch it again, we've been talking about it for days. I'm slotting IT into my annual Halloween marathons for sure, it's probably the most smitten I've been with a horror film since The Cabin in the Woods came out.

16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I just got back from seeing it a 2nd time myself. First time I paid myself to see it on a large format screen, this time I used MoviePass. ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    They've made some minor changes here and there, yet at the same time, this version is much more true to the book in how Pennywise presents himself to different people in much more different ways than the tv miniseries did.

Also, since this is a rated R movie vs over the air broadcast television, they are able to take the film further in its horror direction than the tv miniseries even had the ability to do.

I love the book, I love the miniseries from the very early 90's, and I love the new film adaptation.

Tim Curry was great as Pennywise, but I think Skarsgard did just as well at worst, possibly even better, but that edge may only be there because of the lower restrictions on the story and presentation for a rated R film vs over the air broadcast tv ever could.

This is only "Chapter One" of IT. They are making a sequel when they come back as adults, and they will include flashbacks to them as kids in the sequel as well.

Also, I've seen it mentioned here about cheap CGI in spots, but I don't see it...i know elsewhere someone made the same remark and I asked what they meant, they specified the leper chasing Eddie...i had to correct them... that isn't CGI at all, that is an actual actor with actual makeup.

I thought the CGI itself was for the most part seamless.

thejeditraitor and nightangel like this.
  18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi SPOILER Pics! Part 103!

A new Star Destroyer? Luke gave Lor San Tekka the map, Crait comic, Canto Bight book, Rey and the Fox?

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    It would be wonderful if Movie Pass worked at revival movie theaters too, but I'll gladly throw down the ridiculous ticket price to catch an old movie I love on the big screen. MP sounds like a great deal if you go to the movies a lot.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You go once in a month, it pays for it. You go twice and it's a gift, anything more is completely gravy!

Master_Lok likes this.
  21. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Just watched the movie 'The Great Wall' on pay tv. Not bad, especially the mass fighting and flying scenes. I really enjoy Asian mythology, but for the story they could have come up with something different than standard Alien creatures. o_O Nevertheless not bad for a first big Hollywood/China blockbuster. Hope they work together on more movies. ;)

Master_Lok and GregMcP like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I found it quite fun. Yeah the monsters were a bit generic, but I rather the characters and that Chinese pride and patriotism and resourcefulness.

Not a classic, but a fun couple of hours.

(but hey, I got some fun out of "Gods of Egypt" so don't trust my tastes)

nightangel likes this.
  24. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    John Campea is speculating that Disney will one day do an adult-oriented, Game of Thrones-style TV-show set in the SW universe. Which is one of the reasons for their own streaming service launch. [face_dunno]

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah, they didn't use Asian monsters then, too bad.

I still need to rent this as Zimou is my favorite modern Chinese director when he makes wu xia and films like this. He's currently shooting a Three Kingdoms movie for China (which knowing Zimou will look gorgeous and have a good cast. Psyched to see his version of Guan Yu.)

Glad you enjoyed.

nightangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.