main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get in line - A Social Countdown to Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    You can thank the Millennials for that:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/moviepass-works-why-is-hollywood-so-meh.html

They finally are showing in going to the movies again though so I guess that is progress! :p

EviL_eLF likes this.
  2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I got mine pretty quickly, but I know they've had such an influx of new customers that production of cards is getting backed up.

You go to one movie in a month it's paid for that month. I don't know about you but there is rarely a month that goes by when there is zero movies I want to see...1 in a month its my minimum. Everything else is a gift!

You don't worry about movie times anymore either matinee vs prime time prices have no effect on you.

Also, you are willing to see more movies overall anyway since you're no longer worried about throwing away so much money on a movie that turns out not so great. The trailer gets my interest on any level, I'll go see it now, reviews be damned.

That stacks up the reward points faster too, to free concessions and movie tickets... the free tickets I then use to see movies I want too see on the large format screen that moviepass won't cover.

Example, I saw IT free on the large format screen, since then I've seen Wonder Woman, Unlocked, mother! and IT again using moviepass, tonight I'll see American Assassin, that will trigger me for another free ticket, which I'll use to see Kingsman next week on a large format screen.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, well, sounds like MoviePass needs to get their act together something fast. I'll keep checking to see if card wait times diminish. Until such time, cheap screenings or waiting a long time to rent, I do not do 3D or IMAX as much as possible.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  4. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You get charged the 9.95 right away, but your billing cycle doesn't begin until you physically have your card, so there is no loss in the wait for the card.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Look I don't mean to sound rude but I don't really care about all that technical Jargon my HD TV looks phenomenal I am not paying 3K for a TV no normal person should, may be if I was as rich as Trump I would buy one but I am not. When the 4K resolution TV is closer to 300 dollars then I will may be think about it. you know how long VHS was around, over 20 years People aren't going to by into changing there tech every 5 to 10 years its going to fail that way unless they drop the prices considerably which eventually they will but until they do the average joe cant afford it. TECH cant be constantly obsolete people like consistency like VHS staying the in thing for over 20 years. Its like the I-Phone they are way over priced and keep changing and suckers like my sister keeps buying every new incarnation of the I-Phone it keeps changing and doesn't let you catch up fast enough the same can honestly be said for video games. I have X-Box ONE and that is fine by me. I am actually going to look into buying the Retro Super Nintendo that is how old school I am. I will also point out a lot of times when say watching a movie on my LG 42 Inch HD TV A movie like American Graffiti On Blu-ray It looks way better then when originally viewed in the theater and that is good enough for me..

On another Note I have a Disney Trip I am going Friday we were originally going to check in our room on Friday and then catch the fireworks and ride some rides at the Magic Kingdom on Friday and then on Saturday Go to Animal Kingdom and Sunday go to Epcot and Monday Disney Springs for Shopping and to see the movie IT at the AMC Dine In theater. but plans have changed because they are doing a Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom On Friday and I believe It starts at 9 PM and Then If you don't have reservations for the Halloween Party they kick you out of the park. So Instead on Friday We are checking In to the hotel hanging out at the Pool and I hear they have a hot tub! and then later that night going to see the movie It at the AMC Disney Springs Dine in theater. so instead of doing the movie Monday we are doing the movie Friday....

Finland Skywalker and EviL_eLF like this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you as always for the info.

Hope you are feeling better.

Leoluca Randisi and EviL_eLF like this.
  7. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You can't expect any technology to last 20 years anymore. That's simply not realistic.

Chances are your tv won't live much beyond 10 years just within it's own lifespan. With electronics getting miniaturized so much, heat cycles are more rough on the components and connections will fail. Repair will require board replacement, and the cost of that will be as much or more than a new tv anyway.

The days of a VCR getting you by for your movie collection for 20+years is gone.

The world is advancing faster than that. If you are happy with older tech, that's fine, many people are. In most cases I am as well. I agree that you don't need to upgrade with every latest and greatest tech that comes along. Only a few tech jumps have been worth the upgrade. SD to HD was such a tech jump that was worth the upgrade. HD to 3D was not. HD to 4k is not, HD to 4k with HDR is.

That means in screen tech, it's been 13 years give or take between must have tv tech upgrades.

The nice thing about these new techs though? Unlike from VHS to DVD, going from DVD to blu ray to 4kuhd blu ray... Everything is still backwards compatible, which means your current library doesn't need to be replaced.

I wasn't posting that jargon to say you need ALL the latest tech, I was just showing they finally came up with a new tech after 13 years of HD affordable at home, that is worth stepping up to to take advantage of for the next 10-15 years before the next real breakthrough.

I bought my OLED tv because of the new tech, but also mainly because it wad time to replace my 2006 model flat panel cfl backlit tv. So, I spent good money on a tv for the first time in 5 years, got the latest and greatest for my living room to take advantage of what's available today and future proof my purchase. My living room tv went to my loft for my computer and gaming stuff, my loft tv went to the bedroom to replace that ancient cfl flat panel LCD.

I am middle class myself, no 6 figure income here, I just enjoy high quality video image, and a tech has finally come along that is worth spending the money on imo, not just a buzzword from a marketing scam to try to get people to buy things that aren't needed (don't waste money on a curved tv, there is ZERO benefit to a tv being curved).

EHT, Leoluca Randisi and Master_Lok like this.
  8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    No problem... and thanks, a bit better every day. I find myself no longer even taking the extra strength Tylenol now... still move around gingerly because things are still tender obviously, but there isn't really much soreness overall... just momentary soreness because of the tenderness when going from sitting to standing or laying down to sitting etc. I'll be back at work Friday. I should have no problem tailgating for the Vikings game Sunday. ;)

Leoluca Randisi and Master_Lok like this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

bottom line most Americans aren't spending 3K on a TV

EviL_eLF likes this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I will eventually upgrade my tv, but most of the movies I own are barely HD (Due to the actual age and condition of the source negatives. You'd all cry if you saw how poorly Shaw Brothers kept their movies for decades. Their current distributor is slowing converting some titles to true HD, as are some boutique distributors with select European titles.)

That said, I'm all for new technology that makes the movie going experience all the more enjoyable at home. I recently realized my own usage means I don't need the latest and greatest devices (despite my capitulating twice this year), whatever works.

I think it's awesome that folks are up on this stuff. Thank you for explaining the ins and outs EviL_eLF.

Leoluca Randisi and EviL_eLF like this.
  11. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Most Americans aren't upgrading to 4kuhd blu ray yet either which started this conversation, when you asked about it. I never said they were either, I was just pointing out that if you are interested, you don't want to shop the bargain bin tv's to utilize them.

I was saying if you want that, you need to aim higher on your tv situation is all. Otherwise, you don't want it yet.

I wasn't saying do both now if the price isn't right for you. I was saying if you want 4kuhd blu ray, that $300 tv won't do anything for you and overall you will feel you threw away your money.

Master_Lok and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

LG aint a bargain bin TV its just my family in Particular buys TV's that used to be top of the line but we buy them when the Tech is older and the prices go down ;)
    I assume this Is how most middle class families buy things. Not to get to personal here but are you a Middle class family or are you rich like in the millions because you talk about buying things like money grows on trees?

Oh and EviL_eLF
    thanks for giving me all this Tech info I appreciate It I hope you feel better soon:)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  13. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    When have I talked about buying things like money grows on trees? I've already stated I am middle class.

As for bargain bin tv... even LG has bargain bin models. They serve the entire spectrum of customers from those looking for the super high end, to those looking for cheap and reliable.

All bargain bin tv's are based on years old tech, that's why it's cheap. ;)

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

No my LG when the technology was brand new It was top of the line It looks fantastic movie theater quality. All I meant by the Money grows on trees line was It seemed you were intimating that 3K for a TV was nothing You explained what you meant sorry for misinterpreting what you said my friend, my bad:)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  15. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    When I say LG bargain bin tv's are bargain bin, I'm saying the tech that is behind the top of the line ones now, in 5 years is the exact same tech you will see in their bargain bin ones (not likely OLED that cheap since there is no path yet for bargain bin OLED tv's yet, other than getting used or refurbished later that is).

So it's essentially the same thing, you bought a former high end model years later, or a bargain bin model that is new at that time, you're essentially getting the same thing either way when it's a brand like LG. ;)

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Luke02 likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Terminator...makes sense. I'll miss Michael Biehn though.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  19. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Official trailer for Netflix / Marvel's 'The Punisher'. [face_hypnotized] :eek:^:)^

( **violence warning...but do I really need to say that? It's The Punisher...**)

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    home now. power's back. yay (sarcasm) only took 10 days.... looking forward to the punisher.

21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Btw... can I just say that I am completely embarrassed, living in a country that voted Trump into the White House? 8-}

22. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    You're not the only one, pal. I've been facepalming constantly since before the election! :oops:Kenobi had it right...politicians (career or otherwise) are not to be trusted!

23. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think that general attitude towards all politicians (and government) is partly what propelled Trump, who had zero record of (or interest in) public service, into the Presidency. It's a dumb line from Obi-Wan, not least as there are a lot of great, selfless people in public service. In the Star Wars world, there was Padme, Bail, Mothma, etc. But contempt for the democratic process (of which politics plays a large part) helped bring Palpatine to power - as it has for many authoritarians in modern history.

So I'd correct Obi-wan's statement and say:

"Non-politicians who enter politics and claim to be non-politicians are not to be trusted." ;)

24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    True and I cannot wait until the elections in Germany are over. Just so bored of all the tv shows about it. 1-2 were quite good, but it is just too much. :rolleyes:

25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    It's not "true." It's frankly a dangerous generalization that mostly helps destructive forces in society achieve power. Whether it's Trump here in America, or people like LePen in France and Wilders in the Netherlands. They thrive on the apathy of voters, and their contempt for those who govern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.