main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN [GET IN LINE NOW] Celebration V in 2010

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    ...okay, maybe.

But it's looking better than it was before SDCC.

CV Confirmed?

From the front page:

The "big one" that fans have eagerly been hoping to hear announced at San Diego Comic-Con has been officially revealed... partially.

According to this article posted up on the Hasbro promo site asking fans to partake in a contest that involves re-creating their favorite Star Wars scenes using Hasbro action figures, Star Wars Celebration V has in fact been confirmed for a 2010 release!!

See the intro to the promo release below:

Bring Star Wars: The Clone Wars to Life!

Create your favorite Star Wars: The Clone Wars scene or another of your favorite moments from the Star Wars saga using your Hasbro action figures and vehicles. You could win over $1000 of Hasbro Star Wars toys AND have the chance to display your creation at the 2010 Star Wars Celebration!

We're half way home to the promised land, folks!! I think it safe now to fully expect the official CV location to be announced at SDCC!

We're gonna be all over this announcement like a starving wampa on a tauntaun, so stay right here for all the breaking Celebration V news the second it is revealed!

2. Darth_RobDog

Darth_RobDog Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    G4 will be broadcasting the entire Star Wars panel Saturday. I think it comes on at 1pm. That is where we will be hearing more info.

Set the TiVo!!

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I think we broke that link. The page won't even load, LOL.

2010?

ZOMG, that is like NO time to make new costumes! ACK!

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    This line is capped.

5. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    :eek: *whimper*

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

6. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Where's Qui-Gon with the plastic lightsaber to check our badges?

7. Darth_RobDog

Oct 4, 2004
    He's hanging with Billy Dee Williams in the Con Suite drinking a Colt 45.

8. Darth_RobDog

Oct 4, 2004
    According the Steve Sansweet, C V will be sometime Summer 2010. There is no location or dates announced yet.

9. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    I never thought I'd say this, but I'm seriously considering not going to C5, especially if I have to fly to it. No announcement of when or where, but it's going to be in 2010? Less than a year's notice not only for fans but for possible guests? I get the impression that this is being thrown together at the last minute. [face_plain]

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    It all depends on where it is. If it's driving distance, definitely. (I mean, if I'll drive to a Superman celebration, I'll sure as hell drive to a Star Wars Celebration. :p) But if it's way out west or something...

I'm REALLY hoping the 2010 date is wrong. Has anyone watched the G4 coverage of the SW spectacular? Did Sansweet actually say the date or is it just hearsay?

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I was thinking the same thing, Nicki. If they're going to do this in just under- or over- a year, then it's going to really suck. The only saving grace of CIV was getting to hang out with our fellow JC-ers from around the world. (Oh, and meeting Karen Traviss, Randy Stradley, Jan Duursema, and buy the first Legacy TPB that got Traci hooked.) Otherwise CIV would not have been worth it at all.

CV will suffer the same problems because we have no longer have any movies to look forward to- Just a live-action TV show we keep getting promised is in production- which some of us aren't too enthused about- and an animated TV show that is very much aimed at younger audiences. The books are sucking major vacuum right now, so I can't get excited about anything Del-Rey is throwing out there and slapping the brand name on. Oh, and let's not forget the buttload of toys and SW merchandise they'll be pushing, of which I already own too much, or can't afford the pieces I really want. Aside from the comics programming, the only thing I would look forward to is the social aspect of meeting up with our friends from around the planet, and I don't think I could justify spending a couple of grand- on something that isn't a family vacation- just to go hang out.

LFL has got to wake up and realize that the global economy still sucks major hind-end right now and do the smart thing: push this back a year or two. CIV felt slapped-together as it was, and they had two years to put it together. For the massive expense involved, which most folks- myself included- really can't afford right now, they need to take their time and do it right, and they need to bear in mind the current economy and how it affects the average SW fan.

Oh, and do we really need to do this every two years? Every five years would be much more reasonable for a movie franchise that has been completed. (Well, let's hope it stays that way. No telling what our increasingly-senile Uncle George will pull out of his butt in the years to come. I thought he was moving on to other things!)

12. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Maybe I'm turning into an old fart, but cons just don't seem to interest me these days. The last 2 or 3 I've been to, I've ended up thinking that I could have spent the money elsewhere (even just entrance money, since there's no merchandise or autographs I particularly want).

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    That's why I like Cons that are within driving distance, Ben. Going to a big con is more expensive than a major vacation. CIV cost us a whole lot more than going to Disney and Universal in Florida, and that was a family vacation! But, I know how you feel- You do begin to get a bit jaded after a while: "I've already met that actor and he was "meh", I've already got her autograph, those toys are a rehash/repackage, this new book series is complete tripe, etc, etc, etc." It's easy to become bored, especially when many convention organizers are recycling the same con they did 5, 10, or 15 years ago over and over again, even if they don't have the guest line-up or programming they had in years past to pull it off. (CIV was kind of like that, I thought.)

The comics guests have become the saving grace at cons for me. We've lucked out- primarily thanks to Lin and Traci- and had some really good comics guests at our local convention and at Superman Celebration. Even better, some of them have become friends. That's the only thing that's getting me to conventions like Mid-South Con and Superman Celebration. You can actually talk to comics creators at these smaller conventions, whereas you'd be lucky to even get two minutes of face time with them at a mega-convention like SDCC or Dragon-Con.

14. Darth_RobDog

Oct 4, 2004
    Traci: The information I posted was from the G4 Star Wars Spectacular (the Star Wars Panel @ Comic-Con).

15. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    I couldn't find any video online of the actual panel. You can see the videos shown during the panel on the OS.

Newsarama

5:57 Next year is the 30th anniversary of Empire, so plans are under way for a Star Wars Celebration V at a date and place to be determined.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175303

Following this was when Steve Sansweet took the stage to announce that there is a plan to have Star Wars Celebration next summer, considering that it's the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back, but no announcement of WHERE it is going to be, so don't start booking your hotels and flights just yet.

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Do they just remove Sansweet from Uncle George's rear-end for SDCC and Celebration, or does he get to run around on his own all the time? Maybe he wasn't dressed as an Ewok at the CIV opening ceremonies- Maybe he was supposed to be a gerbil. o_O

I had to mention CIV opening ceremonies... The flashbacks! The flashbacks! :eek: Had a bomb gone off as was threatened, it would've been an improvement!

How about we wait for the 30th anniversary of ROTJ and just have a kick-ass Celebration instead of a thrown-together, sucky one?

17. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    C6 in 2013!

BTW: Who's going to run this thing? It's not going to be Gen-Con. If it's going to be Wizard, I could see them announcing this in Chicago, especially if C5 is going to be held there.

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Let's just skip C5 and go straight to C6.

Chicago would be great. I'd like Indy, too. (The city, not the refrigerator-surfing character.)

19. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    The last major convention of the year after Chicago is Dragon-Con. They are running out of time to announce C5 and build any buzz behind it.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Unless they're not expecting as many people as CIV, which had a significant attendance drop-off compared to CIII, so they're not worried about advertising it as much. Makes me think that they're expecting only the die-hards, which will mean that the programming and guests will be even more scaled-back than CIV, (which was pretty scant compared to CIII). They've really marketed the past several Celebrations as a Mecca to the fans, giving them plenty of advance notice to make plans and reservations, as well as to save up for it. With the way they're treating this one, I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything special.

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    This.

If I'll mess with MidSouthCon or some of the other rinky dink ones, I'll definitely go if I can drive.

And I'm with you on the Cons, Ben. [face_tired] I'll go for the party and social aspect, but as far as walking around in my nerd gear or going into geek mode, I just can't seem to work up the energy to want be into it that much anymore. I can't remember the last time I watched a SW movie or bought a comic book or action figure. C5 will be about the partying and seeing people I rarely get to see outside the internet.

22. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I for one have a feeling that the announcemnt might come this weekend, since I have heard things from people at another con that C5 will be in Chicago. I for one would love for it to be back in Indy again... a little more easy to navigate.

I think that the main reason that the attendance "dropped off" from C3 to C4 was that George wasn't there. People were lined up the day before (and it rained that night too... [face_laugh] ) just to see Uncle George! I could have gotten into the third panel that he did, but I had to work a shift, but I was late anyways, so I couldn't work it. Oh well, my loss.

I'll probably go to C5, I've been looking forward to another SW convention since C3. I'm just hoping that it is going to be close, because I don't want to fly there... and probably won't.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Chicago or Indy would be awesome. And relatively inexpensive compared to LA.

24. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    At this point it would be only a little less time than the CIV announcement assuming it's in May for the Empire Anniversary... which was announced on Memorial Day weekend the year before. There has been a lot of rumored planning going on behind the scenes and it only got a mention at SDCC cause Hasbro jumped the gun in their diaroma contest announcement (which they changed rather quickly but jut not before the scum, that would be rebel scum, posted it everywhere)

So he kind of came out in the Star Wars Spectacular paned and was like, yes Hasbro was correct it will be next year, more info to come...

So, the Chicago idea is a fairly good bet as to an announcement from the Sweet, as he was a last minute add on.

I think part of the let down with LA was we were in kriffing CA for the love a of Sarlaac but still got a fairly mediocre guest list... I mean the get Mark Hammil for SDCC but for a STAR WARS CELEBRATION??? And George, you just live down the road (so to speak)... And we get a video that you're working on Indy... (after the end of that one... you should have come to the con)

So, I'd like to see them do it Mid West, which they seem to like... LA was too pricey. I'd like to see them cut the costs a bit. How about a little more affordable hotel bracket? Somewhere with Hotels better located near the convention center... I'd go back to Indy... It's a nice drive.

I'm with roo that it's more about getting to see people you don't get to see but they do need to take the economy into consideration... And I'm wondering how they'll work the whole volunteer hour carry over and such if they switch who's running it back to Wizard. There was a level of volunteer duties based on hours worked the previous C3 hours worked with Gen Con...

So who knows...

It's going to be one of those wait and see things... At least if it's within driving distance, you can stay a bit farther away and drive and save some cash on the hotel prices. I'll probably go cause I want to take my kids to one and let them experience it.

25. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    This has fail written all over it. [face_plain]

Per Sansweet:

- No deal has been signed with the company who will be organizing the event with Lucasfilm. It doesn't seem as though a final decision even on what company to sell the license to has even been made.

- Celebration V will take place next summer (2010) to commemorate the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back.

- No Place or time has been set since the organizer hasn't been contracted, and they will have input in the time and place. Sansweet said that they've inked deals like this as late as 6 months out.

- It will be on the "right half of the country" (which, according to Sansweet, means that it will be somewhere between Chicago and the Atlantic.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.