main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN [GET IN LINE NOW] Celebration V in 2010

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Wow... Why don't they just come out and admit they don't know what they're doing? Epic fail, indeed.

And we thought GenCon sucked.

2. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
  3. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    You know... I saw the "sweet" at Dragon Con and really just wanted to jump him and demand a date/time/location/ anything really... The whole thing where he said that they've inked these things six month out... Well... um.... scary...

Anyway, There is the upcoming Star Wars Fan Days III in Plano, TX... which has Sansweet as a guest... So... there is probability that we'll get an announcement since it's a Ben Stevens show and that means Official Pix and Celebration can announce together.... Who knows???

The bright side is that assuming that it's somewhere we can get to... LEGACY will be taking over.... Remember Palpatine beat down in his office by the Windu and his whiny "the Jedi are taking over" line... Well... it's like that only better!!!!

Legacy FTW!!!

4. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
  5. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Lord help us if it turns out to be Orlando in August. You'd see alot of folks in costume dropping like flies from heat exhaustion. [face_tired]

I'm still hopeful for Indy or Chicago.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm still trying to get excited about this. The fact that LFL can't seem to get their crap straight with less than a year to go is making me think we'll be paying a lot of money for very little Celebration.

7. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I've heard that Cleveland is the other top contender. Which would definitely be easier on the costumers, especially those in armor.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The only thing about Orlando and Cleveland is they aren't really within driving distance. [face_frustrated] Technically anywhere in the US that isn't Hawaii is "driving distance" I know, but I count under 8 hrs (and that's pushing it) as doable.

*crosses fingers and chants for Indy or Chicago*

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    12 hours is my limit. 12 hours and 1 minute... I'm really grumpy.

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Don't be a Grumpy McGrump!

11. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    From Fan Days and the mouth of "the Man"

According to Steve Sansweet, a partner contract has not yet been reached for the convention, but should be finalized within the next 6-8 weeks.

Check out the little blurb in the news section...

Gah. Wah. Oh well.... A fanboy Christmas announcement????

12. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    About 10hrs is my driving limit (that's what Columbus/Ohio State is). Anything farther than that and I fly.

Lin

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    8 months until the beginning of next summer and no official announcement. However, no one knows anything for sure, but they sure as heck are acting like they do! For instance, I got this email from the high school kid who started the "Star Wars Celebration V" group on Facebook, who apparently knows everything about what's going on:

Dan Grote November 2 at 11:57pm
    Hello everyone!

I am sorry that I haven't updated this group in a while, I nearly forgot that I administrated this group, but as I'm sure most of you know, it looks like the Florida Convention Center is most likely to be the site for Star Wars Celebration V. Celebration V will, without a doubt, happen this summer, it is now just a question of where it will happen. Also, note that if it does not end up at the Florida Convention Center, it will still be on the East Coast. Please read the "description" portion of the group page for a more info on the most recent CV update. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed your Halloween!

Best Regards,
    Dan

LFL... Get off your Clone-Wars-Loving-Butts and make an announcement. This has been their biggest PR clusterfrig since... well... ever.

14. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    You know... They were planning on us not knowing anything... but hasbro goofed up...

15. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Well, I guess a rejected city is better than no news at all....

Baltimore Bid For Celebration V Rejected

Posted By Justin on November 6, 2009

Bad news for fans living in the Baltimore area who were hoping that Star Wars Celebration V would be coming to their backyard next year: Our own Jay Shepard informs us of a story reported on the Baltimore Business Journal website stating that the city's bid for hosting CV was rejected due to insufficient convention center space.

See the excerpt from the report below and then click HERE for the full read.

"Organizers of the Star Wars Celebration V rejected the city because its convention center doesn?t have enough room, said Tom Noonan, who heads the city tourist bureau. The four-day gathering could have attracted 35,000 visitors and filled 12,000 hotel room nights ? a larger impact than any convention the city currently hosts."

Guess we can scratch Baltimore off the list of potential CV locations. The other heavily-rumored locations (Chicago, Orlando, Minneapolis, etc) are still "all in play" until we get official confirmation otherwise.

As always, stay tuned right here for any and all CV-related stories as they happen.

It's from the Latest news blurb down there on the bottom...

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, they announced it... officially:

Celebration V
    Orlando, FL
    August 12-15, 2010
    $120 a pop for 4-day passes on sale Dec 10, with special "VIP" passes available in limited quantities starting sometime early next year.

(Thanks a lot for the advance notice, LFL- especially in this current economy.)

It's going to be hard to go to Orlando and not want to go to Universal, Busch Gardens, or Sea World instead of a convention center, especially when the new Harry Potter section will be open at Universal.

17. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    Florida in August? [face_plain] Lord help us all. When are we starting the pool on how many costumers drop from heat exhaustion?

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Traci and I said the same thing, Nicki.

Plus, it's only a couple of weeks before DragonCon. There are a lot of folks on Facebook saying they're not going to CV because it's too close to DragonCon and they can't take off work and/or afford to do both.

One thing I noticed under the media section of the Celebration site is that they're telling members of the media that they're allowed access to the free portions of the convention, but not "ticketed" events. I'm guessing from that statement that they're going to charge extra to get into certain things? I guess we're not going to get a whole lot for $120. (Given the current state of Star Wars, I'm not expecting much as it is.)

Oh... And it's 13 hours and 23 minutes from here to Orlando if you drive. $357.00 a person if you fly in the day before and leave the day after. ($377 if you include your luggage. Our friends in Tupperware will have to mortgage their houses since they'll have more than one bag to check.)

19. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    Lin and I are going to have to think long and hard about this. I'd love to go, but you're looking at $1,200 - $1,500 minimum. That's alot of cash on top of everything else we are discussing for next year.

I didn't even think about Dragon*Con when the dates were announced. That is going to force some folks to choose between the two, and alot are going to choose Dragon*Con.

It would be cheaper to ship your costumes to Orlando via FedEx than to take that stuff on the plane.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    You're right on all points there, Nicki. Hell, it'll cost at least $600 for the room, not to mention food... and booze. And I'm tired of traveling to other cities for cons and not seeing or doing anything that isn't between the hotel and the convention center. I want to see some sites for once instead of spending the entire day cooped up in a convention center. (And if the programming is of the same caliber as CIV, there won't be much too much that's worth the admission price.)

Even driving, we're talking a minimum of $1,200 after hotel, gas, food, and badges. If I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather go to New York ComicCon or another big convention that features other genres. For me, Star Wars- in it's current state- just doesn't hold enough appeal to justify the expense involved. The only real reason I'd want to go is to see John and Jan. (And hopefully Mary, too, if she goes.) There are all of our other friends from TFN, too, that I'd like to see, but I'm wondering if they'll even bother going considering the location and the way LFL handled this.

Plus, I've got Emma and Rachel asking if we can go to Universal next summer, and they'll be in school by the time CV rolls around. I would feel like a total jerk telling them we can't afford to go, only to turn around and go to Orlando after they're back in school.

21. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    I have it, Tim! If the guys who sold the foam lightsabers at C4 can make a killing, surely we can finance our C5 trip by selling bottled water from the back of my truck to the heat-exhausted masses in PVC. :p

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Brilliant!

And I'll build two vinyl, zip-up booths that have a 110 air-conditioner attached that we can power from the 12-volt car plug-in. We'll charge $2 a minute to cool off. ($3 if it's really hot.)

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Really? Orlando?

If anyone is going near Orlando late next year, they'll be going to Universal, so that was pretty stupid.

24. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I've been wanting to go back to Orlando in late Sept/early Oct to do Horror Nights, Harry Potter, and run around Islands of Adventure again. If' I'm going to be standing in line in Orlando I'd like for it to be there.

And yep, now that I has wheels I have to start saving up for other things...[face_whistling]

Lin

25. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    A bit late, but they have released the Hotel booking stuff... (a bit back but it still shows rooms)

Just in case you're interested in going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.