Social Get In Line, NSA Edition - A Social Countdown to Episode VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by mavjade, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    Why don't you invent something? You could make a million and buy lots of beer and whiskey. Or couldn't you dress as a super hero and charge for letting tourists take a picture? How about going for a record deal? Have you been applying for jobs out of your city and state?
    DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Well then all I can say is just keep it up. You see a job you really want, you attack it. Submit an application with a cover letter, possibly visit the place you're applying to and speak with a few people who work there, especially if they're in HR. If you don't hear back within a week, give them a call to tell them you're interested. That often goes a long way with the person doing the hiring in showing them how dedicated you are.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Go into the job and start working without even discussing this with management. Just start loading a truck or waiting a table or whatever. When they notice your commitment they will either pay you or you will have to run.
  4. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I very much appreciate the advice & support, guys. It means a lot.

[IMG]

But still exciting! :D
  5. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I believe this approach worked for George Costanza on an episode of Seinfeld.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Yes, I remember that vividly. That is precisely who to model this approach after.
    EHT likes this.
  7. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    "Do what George Costanza did" truly equals great advice. :p
    Todd the Jedi likes this.
  8. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I wish I can say that I've seen enough Seinfeld to fully understand that reference, but I can't.
  9. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
  10. Pensivia Force Ghost

star 4

I think George tried something like this as well, but the ep I remember was the one where Kramer just showed up and started "working" in an office and then ended up getting "fired" in this humorous scene:

I just love the way Kramer protests "But I don't even really work here!" and the boss responds, "That's what makes this so difficult."

Edit: So while DarthTunick may not want to take this approach:p , hopefully the clip can at least give him a bit of a chuckle in the midst of the frustration of the job hunting process:)
    Last edited by Pensivia, Jun 8, 2014
  11. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I liked it; In almost sort-of-the-same-way, the two times I've gone back to my old Walmart, I felt right back (mentally) into work mode. :p

And concerning Seinfeld in general, when it comes to Larry David created/produced productions, I'm a Curb Your Enthusiasm guy. I LOVE that show; Larry David's version of himself on it is my spirit animal. :D

language warning!
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Jun 8, 2014
    Pensivia likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Ah, Seinfeld. I miss 90s sitcoms.
    Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Jun 9, 2014
    Runjedirun likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Favorite episode? Soup Nazi or the one where they are in a parking garage for the whole time would be mine.
    Runjedirun likes this.
  14. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    I know my least favorite episode was the very last episode. That aside I really like Seinfeld it's been too long to remember much. As a runner I have to give a nod to the episode where Jerry hosted the runner and they messed up setting his alarm. (very foggy memory was he there to run the New York City Marathon?) I can never sleep the night before a big event. I don't even need to set an alarm :p
  15. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Yes, I'd agree with that.
    Runjedirun likes this.
  16. Anakin Solo Revanchist Force Ghost

star 4
    That was the one episode I thought of when I saw where this thread was going, as well :p
  17. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    90's sitcoms? My favorite, by far, is Roseanne.

Frank T. and Yanksfan like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
  19. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    I agree, @DarthTunick "Roseanne" is definitely one of the best 90s shows. Well, at least the first 4 or 5 seasons--before it kinda went off the rails. I have an absurd crush on Dan Conner. I just love him. He's my fantasy husband.

Also, "Seinfeld", of course.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  20. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    In my humble opinion, only the last season truly went off the rails, but even then there was good episodes & moments; I LOVED the series finale.
    Runjedirun and Frank T. like this.
  21. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    I actually have the same taste as Tunes on this one. Roseanne by far. I never was really into any other sitcom for long.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  22. Pensivia Force Ghost

star 4
    Seinfeld is prob my favorite TV series of all time.. I liked Curb a lot, too. Kept thinking for a while that LD would make one more season, but I guess not! Always loved Suzy's rants against Larry and Jeff!

Never saw Roseanne.
    Last edited by Pensivia, Jun 10, 2014
  23. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    I enjoy watching Cheers once in awhile
  24. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

language!

Some of the best stuff ever on that show; I'd love another season too, but at this point it doesn't matter much... we've got enough from those guys. You should give Roseanne a try... it's one of the best, true to the middle-class sitcoms you'll ever see.

@Frank T. I love,love, LOVE Cheers. It's my favorite show of all time; also, in my humble opinion, the best analogy/metaphor for the JC.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Jun 10, 2014
    Pensivia likes this.
  25. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    I think what makes Cheers great is it is a good analogy for almost any social life.
    Pensivia and DarthTunick like this.