main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Get In Line, NSA Edition - A Social Countdown to The Mandalorian and Grogu

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by mavjade , Aug 2, 2013.

1. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    My parents literally go and watch episodes of Cheers on Project Free TV on almost a nightly basis. All that really matters to me about it is the mailman guy played the voice of Hamm in Toy Story.

2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    He was also in The Empire Strikes Back.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

"The shield doors must be closed."

jaqen likes this.
  4. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think that was his voice though. Later on, after Leia's instructions to the speeder pilots, I think he gets a line with his own voice.

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  6. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I might be wrong.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have heard this theory before. Have never read any verification of it, though. It may be Cliff Clavin all the way.

8. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Awesome Susie melt-down clip vid, DarthTunick! That first one about the decapitated doll head was always my fave Susie rant:p "GIVE ME THE ****IN' HEAD, LARRY!!!"

Cheers was always one of my very favorites too, though I haven't seen much of it since its original run and some of its initial rerun airings in the mid-90s. I'd be curious to see if I would enjoy it as much this many years later. I especially liked the early-to-middle part of its run.

It's amazing how different TV watching was back then (80s and 90s)--the whole "must-see" or "appointment" TV when so many people were watching the same thing at the same time. I remember how HUGE the airing of the last episode of Cheers was and also the last ep of Seinfeld (btw, I agree with the earlier comments about this last ep--it was somewhat of a disappointment). Things are so different now with so many "niche" and individualized forms of entertainment and even with the most popular shows, people are not seeing them all at the same time...better stop there, I'm starting to sound really old:p

And I really like the comparison of Cheers to the JC--very true!

I only realized that the actor who played Cliff was in ESB during last year's initial viewing of our Blu-ray...something about that just doesn't seem right!

DarthTunick likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Just a small sample size of great Cheers moments.

Frank T. and Pensivia like this.
  10. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    There are SO many great Cheers moments, aren't there?

Off the top of my head, one of the ones I always think of is this "Sam and Diane" classic:

The only prob with the vid is it cuts off before the funniest part of the scene--isn't it right after this exchange when Diane says "Are you as turned on as I am right now?" or something and then they start making out?! [face_laugh]

EHT, Frank T. and DarthTunick like this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Another one of the great Sam & Diane moments; loved their arc in Shelly Long's final season.

Frank T. likes this.
  12. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    oh my gosh...seeing those Cheers vids had quite the effect...hubby and I signed up for a free month trial of Amazon Prime tonight and just finished binge-watching the key Sam and Diane eps from Season 5 starting with the boat proposal:p

DarthTunick likes this.
  13. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Does she go to the convent after that?

14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    No, Frank, the convent outcome was from an earlier season (surely we don't have to spoiler tag such an old TV show?).

15. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    :p I have become very sensitive to any kind of spoilery bits lately.

Pensivia likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That was the season 4 premier; it was also Woody's debut episode.

17. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I need to go back and watch Diane's final appearance at the show's end

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

From Shelly's appearance on Fraiser as Diane. Kelsey plays this scene out brilliantly.

Pensivia and Frank T. like this.
  19. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This morning Mike and Mike were talking about how Rory Mcilroy ended his engagement. Mike Greenberg compared it to the wedding invitation incedent on Seinfeld with Susan and George. Which reminded me of this thread and another storyline on Seinfeld that ended in poor taste (ouch bad pun).

20. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    lol, I am so familiar with Seinfeld that here we are years after the final season, and I am still continually thinking of real life connections to Seinfeld eps on a regular basis.

But I have to remember not to make the reference most of the time because the show is so old and you can't count on anyone knowing the references anymore!

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That often happens to me when it comes to I Love Lucy. Me, my brother, and multiple members of our family love & have been watching it for years, but other people I know haven't, so references frequently fly-over their heads.

22. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, I haven't seen I Love Lucy since I was a kid and Fox used to run re-runs during the day. It was funny though. I'll never forget how Ricky pronounced the word psychiatrist. Sometimes I wish I had cable tv so I could see shows like that again, but then I remember I don't have the time anyway :p

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

William Frawley's 'Fred Mertz' is another spirit animal of mine.

:cool:

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tunick, didn't you have him as an avatar for a while?

DarthTunick likes this.