main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Get In Line, NSA Edition - A Social Countdown to The Mandalorian and Grogu

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by mavjade , Aug 2, 2013.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Red Sox all the way!! :D
    (I only started watching baseball last year and have since found myself completely sucked in. Never would have thought I'd end up a baseball fan. )

Er, um, anyway... congrats on your last day of classes! And hey, getting any money back from books is quite the acomplishment.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That loosing streak was awful. I don't even watch baseball bar World Series games and I still felt depressed about the Sox. [face_plain]

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You should feel even worse for the Cubs.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, but you expect that with the Cubs. At least the Sox have had varied success since the 2004 WS.

5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh.... yes. That was quite embarrassing. Luckily it's over and hopefully stays that way!

But as a big West Virginia University football fan, I'm also used to losing and frequently saying "Well, there's always next year!", so I guess I can handle it if it comes to that. :p

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I remember college text books going something like this:
    Buy book for $50
    Sell book back for $5
    See same book later for sale used for $45
    [face_plain]

JainaSoloYJK and DarthTunick like this.
  7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep, that sounds about right!

I remember one time they offered me $1.75 and I said it was worth more to me as packing material or to use to wrap gifts... and while I hate doing that to a book, I think it was math related (Maybe Trig?) so I didn't really care. :p

JainaSoloYJK and EHT like this.
  8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Or toilet paper. :p

JainaSoloYJK and mavjade like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I got 50 cents for a book once. Don't remember how much it cost. It's absurd selling books back.

10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I used my giant books on Java and C++ as firewood when I was done with them. Money well spent. [face_mischief]

EHT and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Back in my (brief) college days, selling back the textbooks from that semester was always the best day.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think I still have my HTML and XML books from the courses I took six years ago. It's probably badly outdated.

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    BTW nice last line in your sig, Tunick. That episode's a classic.

DarthTunick likes this.
  14. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008

$50? Where is this magical land where college textbooks are that cheap? :eek:

They're more like $150 these days.

EHT likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Todd the Jedi I've watched a fair number of episodes now via Netflix; I'm falling in love with that show. It's so demented, crazy & obscene... a live action South Park in some respects. Can't get enough of DeVito's Frank Reynolds.

:D

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I actually stopped watching this past season. But until now I'd seen every episode and yeah, it's great how horrible they all are. It's like Seinfeld, but Irish and slightly dumber. [face_good_luck]

I do love that Charlie Day at least is getting a lot of great movie roles. A big reason he was cast in Pacific Rim was because of the way he acts on Always Sunny. He's just so freakin' hilarious. Wild Card indeed. :D As for Frank, I love whenever he randomly pulls out his gun, since he clearly has no idea how to properly handle the thing. [face_laugh]

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    My favorite Frank moment to date:

NSFW

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Might wanna add an NSFW tag to that buddy. :p But yeah, his steady progression from semi-normal in season 2 to.... that, is something to behold.

Actually now that I think about it I did watch at least the first 2-3 episodes before I quit on it. I might catch back up during the off-season.

19. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Checking in again! We finally got a little run line put together for the dog so she can be in the backyard without constant supervision...and don't worry, she's never out there alone and never for more than a few minutes in the heat. In other news, we have a plumbing problem. :( In short the tub had a clog and when Dad tried to fix it he made it worse. That rarely happens to him and everyone is really ticked off. [face_nail_biting]Thankfully the plumber visit is covered by home insurance.

So nothing new? Ok. Hope everyone is doing well! [:D]

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm doing as well as I can... I keep applying for work, but no luck so far; I've received 4 e-mails so far this week, each from different jobs of course, each with this similar line present somewhere in the message: "Though your qualifications are good, we've decided to pursue other candidates." [face_plain]

21. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I usually don't get rejections unless I push for them. Is that a California thing? Rejection email. ****, even the places that say they are interested don't want to tell me anything.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Sorry to hear that... hang in there. So the one you shaved your beard off for didn't pan out, or you don't know about that one yet?

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    They decided to not hire me; went with folks with prior experience as security guards.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Have you considered going after a temp job or internship, whether it be paid or unpaid? A lot of times having something like that on your resume will make you that much more desirable when you're looking for a more full-time job. I know one big reason a lot of places wouldn't hire me when I was fresh out of college was because I never did an internship and therefore had little experience.

The good thing about a temp job is that you're often given a lot of leeway in making your own hours, so you can simultaneously work and gain experience while still looking for a real job.

Runjedirun likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've applied to some temporary jobs, but have got nowhere. Now, an actual internship? Not yet. Most of the ones I come across are internships that I'm not currently eligible for (ie: college degrees and or currently being in school being a requirement). I want to focus & get a job first before I go back to school.