main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Get In Line, NSA Edition - A Social Countdown to The Mandalorian and Grogu

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by mavjade , Aug 2, 2013.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Why don't you invent something? You could make a million and buy lots of beer and whiskey. Or couldn't you dress as a super hero and charge for letting tourists take a picture? How about going for a record deal? Have you been applying for jobs out of your city and state?

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well then all I can say is just keep it up. You see a job you really want, you attack it. Submit an application with a cover letter, possibly visit the place you're applying to and speak with a few people who work there, especially if they're in HR. If you don't hear back within a week, give them a call to tell them you're interested. That often goes a long way with the person doing the hiring in showing them how dedicated you are.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Go into the job and start working without even discussing this with management. Just start loading a truck or waiting a table or whatever. When they notice your commitment they will either pay you or you will have to run.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I very much appreciate the advice & support, guys. It means a lot.

[​IMG]

But still exciting! :D

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I believe this approach worked for George Costanza on an episode of Seinfeld.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, I remember that vividly. That is precisely who to model this approach after.

EHT likes this.
  7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "Do what George Costanza did" truly equals great advice. :p

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I wish I can say that I've seen enough Seinfeld to fully understand that reference, but I can't.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    George Can'tstanya!

10. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

I think George tried something like this as well, but the ep I remember was the one where Kramer just showed up and started "working" in an office and then ended up getting "fired" in this humorous scene:

I just love the way Kramer protests "But I don't even really work here!" and the boss responds, "That's what makes this so difficult."

Edit: So while DarthTunick may not want to take this approach:p , hopefully the clip can at least give him a bit of a chuckle in the midst of the frustration of the job hunting process:)

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I liked it; In almost sort-of-the-same-way, the two times I've gone back to my old Walmart, I felt right back (mentally) into work mode. :p

And concerning Seinfeld in general, when it comes to Larry David created/produced productions, I'm a Curb Your Enthusiasm guy. I LOVE that show; Larry David's version of himself on it is my spirit animal. :D

language warning!

Pensivia likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, Seinfeld. I miss 90s sitcoms.

Runjedirun likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Favorite episode? Soup Nazi or the one where they are in a parking garage for the whole time would be mine.

Runjedirun likes this.
  14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I know my least favorite episode was the very last episode. That aside I really like Seinfeld it's been too long to remember much. As a runner I have to give a nod to the episode where Jerry hosted the runner and they messed up setting his alarm. (very foggy memory was he there to run the New York City Marathon?) I can never sleep the night before a big event. I don't even need to set an alarm :p

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I'd agree with that.

Runjedirun likes this.
  16. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    That was the one episode I thought of when I saw where this thread was going, as well :p

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    90's sitcoms? My favorite, by far, is Roseanne.

Frank T. and Yanksfan like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dharma and Greg:

19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I agree, DarthTunick "Roseanne" is definitely one of the best 90s shows. Well, at least the first 4 or 5 seasons--before it kinda went off the rails. I have an absurd crush on Dan Conner. I just love him. He's my fantasy husband.

Also, "Seinfeld", of course.

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    In my humble opinion, only the last season truly went off the rails, but even then there was good episodes & moments; I LOVED the series finale.

Runjedirun and Frank T. like this.
  21. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually have the same taste as Tunes on this one. Roseanne by far. I never was really into any other sitcom for long.

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Seinfeld is prob my favorite TV series of all time.. I liked Curb a lot, too. Kept thinking for a while that LD would make one more season, but I guess not! Always loved Suzy's rants against Larry and Jeff!

Never saw Roseanne.

23. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I enjoy watching Cheers once in awhile

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

language!

Some of the best stuff ever on that show; I'd love another season too, but at this point it doesn't matter much... we've got enough from those guys. You should give Roseanne a try... it's one of the best, true to the middle-class sitcoms you'll ever see.

Frank T. I love,love, LOVE Cheers. It's my favorite show of all time; also, in my humble opinion, the best analogy/metaphor for the JC.

Pensivia likes this.
  25. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I think what makes Cheers great is it is a good analogy for almost any social life.

Pensivia and DarthTunick like this.