main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get off Lucas' back!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthWolfie, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    when gushers were hunted down Planet of the Apes-style by roving bands of bashers [face_laugh] That's probably one of the best descriptions of the fabled old school TPM forums that I've heard so far.

I don't mind criticism but I can't help but find it somewhat entertaining when people who absolutely despised AOTC keep taking time out of their schedules to come back and remind us how much they hated it and how people who enjoyed it are a bunch of idiots, etc, etc. Could they not use some of that energy to find something that they might enjoy?

2. Nephrite

Nephrite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    Imperial_Guard I completly agree with you.
    I mean I don't like The Matrix, but you don't see me hanging out on Matrix message boards calling people stupid for watching the movie. If they like it let them enjoy discussing 'bout it.

3. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I will give GL this much credit:

1. For coming up with a brilliant story and creating our beloved characters in the SW saga.

2. For having such a detailed imagination.

3. Using his technology well.

4. For directing 2 awesome films: American Grafitti and the original SW.

That is all.

4. rafterman

rafterman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    a lot of fans think that just because they buy so much Star Wars stuff they are allowed to over criticize and complain, when the best way to show your disgust is just to not buy the stuff....face it, this is George's baby and who cares what we think....he'll make it regardless....we have no right to complain about something that someone is willing to put out for us to see....

5. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    Although I didn't hate TPM from beginning to end, there were some aspects of the movie that were hmm...let's say bold choices by Lucas. Sorry, but all the analysis and endless debates over TPM by fans and critics were to be expected. Lucas made some interesting and controversial decisions with this movie. He reaped what he sowed.

I do think Lucas has taken unfair criticism in regards to AOTC though. To be branded a failure by some because it may "only" make $300 million in domestic box office is really a cheap shot. I also think the nitpicking by some fans over certain aspects of the movie is extreme. AOTC was clearly a great addition to the saga and shows that Lucas is a much better director than he gets credit for.

6. DarthWolfie

DarthWolfie Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2002
    Thanks for the replies everyone, good to see a bit of debate. In response to all the people who have said that GL shouldn't be above criticism, I agree. I never actually said that and if it was implied I didn't mean it. All I'm saying is that I'm tired of hearing people say how Lucas should've done this, Lucas should've done that, rather than just accepting that he's done what he chose to do with his creation (a good example is the CG clones thread: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6917115&page=10 ). If you didn't like it or thought you could have done it better, tough. Like I said in my original post, if you came up with such an enchanting story as Star Wars then you'd have every right to make it how you wanted.
    Oh yeah, homeless_jedi, what's so bad about this thread? I don't see any reason why it should be locked, it's EpII related and shouldn't be offensive in any way.

7. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Why do people on these boards bash Lucas?

I think it all boils down to this: "You always hurt the one you love!"

Think about how, in your personal lives, you nitpick your husband/wife/brother/sister/boyfriend/girlfriend to death. GL has created a Star Wars family. With that familial relationship, comes bickering.

8. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I don't think that fans should bash Lucas and although I thought that his directing of AOTC was bad I would never tell him not to direct Ep3. It's his movie and if he wants to direct it he should. However fans are entitled to criticise aspects of the movies that they don't like, this is not bashing, it is offering an opinion.

9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I think it all boils down to this: "You always hurt the one you love!"

Yea, I've always had hidden feelings for the Flanneled One [face_love]

[face_plain]

10. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    In Light of the Recent Posting about Skywalker on Earth:

I think Lucas better watch out because the agents of L.Ron Hubbard are onto his plans, and if "The Church of Skywalking" becomes a tax deductible organization...so will the IRS. How's that for getting off his back :p

BTW, I can't get off GL's back because it's filling up the entire room! Baby got back!

11. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    darth_pooh, please post a picture of padmepowerpuff here :)

12. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Well, since you're so interested. Here's one of her with Padme/Leia poofs on the side:

[image=http://powerpuff.co.uk/images/bubbles/bubble12.jpg][/image]

13. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Import_Jedi,

"Yea, I've always had hidden feelings for the Flanneled One" -- very cute!

"The one you love" that I was referring to is the SW family as a whole...not just GL.

Let me try to make my point with a little story. Think back to puberty. The little girls were wearing perfume and makeup the second their parents allowed it. The boys, on the other hand, came to the wonderful world of hygiene only after someone (usually Mom) just told them that they stink! In the basher's opinion, GL is a stinky little boy. (Flannel in Tunesia...pee-yuu :p ) That's the kind of brutal honesty from a loved one that I'm talking about.

14. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    Well im sure "Import_Jedi" loves him
    with 5,083 posts

u cant deny it

15. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    I agree that people overly criticize GL because they feel intitled to the best damn movie there ever was, which is just not possible 6 times in a row.

Also in all my years on these boards and communing with other Starwars fans, I have never once met anyone who has just loved any Starwars movie or product simply because it's Starwars. However, I have never had to look very far to find someone who absolutely hates Starwars just because it's Starwars.

16. Cosmo_Kramer

Cosmo_Kramer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    George Lucas' imagination has a name and it's called "Industrial Light And Magic".

17. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The people who bash are only ruining it for themselves. Let the windbags blow. It really doesn't bother me.

18. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Looks at bashers

Sucks to be you!

19. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Yeah right,ILM hired Lucas to pose as a figurehead for the intricate mythology that a bunch of computer programmers came up with(sarcasm).

20. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Darthwolfie's original post made my day.
    :) well said.

21. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Well im sure "Import_Jedi" loves him
    with 5,083 posts

u cant deny it

No, I posted that much because I love all of you wonderful people. [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

22. Greedos_a_bad_shot

Greedos_a_bad_shot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    guittarjedi, ILM designs all the Starcraft, Sithlords, Jedi,weapons, etc, that you see in the PT. I agree with Cosmo_Kramer that the true wizards of the PT are ILM.

23. Diogonese

Diogonese Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2002
    ...Get off Lucas' back? Why? There appears to be plenty of room there. I have to admit, for all it's weak points, AOTC was largely enjoyable. But let's face it, it could have been MUCH better. The Star Wars films started out with such promise. Lucas was painting a grand canvas when he did ANH and ESB. Unfortunatly, by the time ROTJ and TPM rolled around, he was using finger paints.

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    But let's face it, it could have been MUCH better.

I'd kinda like to know how.

25. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "But let's face it, it could have been MUCH better.

I'd kinda like to know how."

youve obviously read hundreds of peoples criticisms and suggestions on that subject.

if you and GL choose to ignore them or cant come up with anything better thats your problem.

as lucas once said about a sequence in ESB that gary kurtz and irwin kershner thought needed fixing... "it's good enough"

im glad AOTC and TPM are "good enough" for you. sorry to break it to ya but they are not "good enough" for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.