main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get off Lucas' back!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthWolfie, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "If "the PT stinks to me so far..." then don't watch Episode 3 in the future."

i will because even though the PT and GL have done everything to indicate otherwise, i still have hope that it can be good.

2. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    i feel a lot worse for someone who settles for whatever they get and just blithely accepts any garbage tossed their way.

It´sureley hard to accept the garbage you´re posting here everyday. :p

rutsch mir doch den Buckel runter

3. devil24

devil24 Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002
    The prequels are awesome. I feel sorry for someone who is so disgusted by it and feel it doesn't live up to expectations of the OS that you feel the need to bash it on a website. You wouldn't find me on some movie's website that I hated just cuz i didn't like it, i've got other stuff i could do. If you think it's trash, then why would you give it the time of day? Watch your OT and leave it at that if you must.

4. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    oh, is this the pick on DrE portion of the thread? [face_plain]
    how lame

"If "the PT stinks to me so far..." then don't watch Episode 3 in the future."

that's a weak attack.
    it seems that DrE is able to go into each installment of star wars and form his own opinion on the movies individually, much like most of the rest of society.

why not discuss the movies, instead of name-calling and telling people not to watch the movies or talk about what they found to be its short-comings?

i see a lot of "gushers" stating that they love the prequels, and then listing a bunch of mental defects of those who didn't. seriously, guys, i'd just like to hear some discussions on why you find these movies so good?

5. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    why do you feel sorry for me? im glad i can tell when something is good and something isnt. i feel a lot worse for someone who settles for whatever they get and just blithely accepts any garbage tossed their way.

So how exactly do you account for me? I don't accept the garbage of TPM. I do however, love AOTC. Uh oh someone's thrown a kink in your gears...

6. Marsguo

Jul 9, 2000
    It´s hard to discuss the movie on this negative basis.

(reply to zeekveerko)

7. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Don't hate DrEvazan he's a fellow fan. :D

8. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Here's a attack, as you would put it zeekveerko. [face_plain]

For example:

Say you buy the first episode of Enterprise the series on video and hate it? Would you continue to buy Star Trek: Enterprise expecting it to get better each episode?

9. devil24

devil24 Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002
    I'll be the first to say that the PT has it faults. But I wouldn't go as far to say that it is garbage. It's George Lucas, you all know what to expect from him. Horrible dialogue, jumpy scenes. That was also apparent in the OT. You can still enjoy a movie despite them. I love Star Wars for other reasons. Criticizing a movie and bashing it are two differnent things.

10. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    of course you're right, marguo.
    i've seen this thread rise and fall from arguments to intelligent discussion and back and forth again. i guess i just have to hold out for the intelligent stuff again.

please, somebody discuss what is SO good about the prequels. on a personal, emotional level, i love the movies. they bring back the magic of watching another good fantasy flick, and the originals were my first. on an intellectual level i can recognize that these movies are lacking in quality on certain levels.
    the ot's shortcomings were made up for by its sheer originality, and groundbreaking special fx. i can't say the same for the pt. it has the wit and visual stunningness of the ot, but none of the other stuff.
    i can't speak for others, but i know good filmmaking from bad from watching every movie that happens to pass before me (even crud like scooby doo and reign of fire) and also from making a short film with my brother last year i learned a few ins and outs.
    a film can be rated on style, cinematography, story, characterization, dialogue, originality... etc.
    in my quest for the perfect movie i've found that i can sit down and watch 90% of the movies out there without the urge to vomit or send my remote control spinning wildly into the screen ('gummo' was one of the elite few that earned that response).

11. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Why would you not be unhappy about disliking the prequels? I know I would. If you're not unhappy that would suggest you wanted to hate them, and that ain't right

12. Marsguo

Jul 9, 2000
    IMDB: "Gummo : Uniquely compelling film that is not for people with closed-minds" ;)

13. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    im unhappy they were not as good as they could have been and dissapointed by the PT films in general, but im certianly not a unhappy person because of it, and it was that characterization of me by others that i was responding to.

i am unhappy about the current state of the star wars fims. that is why i speak up about it, because the saga deserves better installments than these rushed, seemingly underplanned prequels.

is that too much to expect after 20 years of potential prep time?

i dont think so.

14. devil24

devil24 Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002
    What i liked about Episode I was the music, podrace sequence and the lightsaber duels. No where in the original did you find that kind of lightsabre action. It was awesome. Now, I will admit that Episode I was very slow at times. But you have to take in to consideration that its the opening act. We don't get into the real meat of the whole story yet. I didn't like TPM as much as the OT, but I accept it as a Star Wars movie into the saga.

As for AOTC. I groaned at those cheesy lines between Heyden and Portman. But what I did like seeing was the Coruscant chase in the begginning. That was just visually stunning as all hell. Slave One and the asteroid sequence was sweet. I like how Anakin got all wicked when he smoked the Tusken. I also thought that Ewan McGregor and Christopher Lee were magnificent. Obi-wan was great and Lee is such a suave villain. The lightsabre action did again for me as well. The last 45 minutes in AOTC was the best 45 minutes in the whole saga so far. Now i feel that these parts more than make up for the cheesy lines which I thought were horrible.

As I stated before, if you can't enjoy Star Wars for focusing on all the negative aspects of it then I feel sorry for you.

15. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    foxbat wrote: "So how exactly do you account for me? I don't accept the garbage of TPM. I do however, love AOTC. Uh oh someone's thrown a kink in your gears..."

i would say you are a fan who didnt like TPM, and found enough to like in AOTC to really enjoy it...

Go-Mer on the other hand would say you are not a fan because you dont like all the films of the saga equally, and you failed as a viewer by not liking TPM. he thinks you didnt like TPM because of some understanding you lack, and not because the film was bad.

16. devil24

devil24 Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002

so you're arguing that I'm not a true fan?

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Hey you are a fan if you think you are, that is the only requirement I can think of.

I just meant that there are so few of us who are capable of enjoying the entire SW saga.

If you feel better about yourself for being able to tell the difference between "good things" and "bad things", then congratulations.

I am just trying to tell you that in my opinion, people with the perception that the prequel trilogy is somehow more "flawed" than the classic trilogy is simply not able to separate their larger than life emotional reaction to the original films from their actual level of quality from a film making perspective.

You may think I am being delusional, or somehow trying to elevate the prequels to some sort of "flawless" status.

If that is what you think, then it seems obvious to me that you think the classic trilogy is of a flawless status, because all I am saying is that they are all equally flawed.

Certainly the matter is dependant on perspective, but just imagine the loss you take by dismissing the possibility outright.

You don't seem to mind spending all this time complaining and coming up with new and exiting ways to misunderstand what Lucas is trying to do, why not spend -some- of that time entertaining the possibility that Lucas might just know a little bit more about this saga than you do. Meet Lucas half way and -attempt- to understand what he is doing.

He gave you half of your SW fandom with the classic trilogy, don't you think you owe him that much now?

18. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    thanks for your response, devil 24 - i'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, myself. i'm more into the plot development and suspenseful build-up (r2's encounter with the jawas in anh is one of my favorite scenes in the saga)

Jedi learner - "Here's a attack, as you would put it zeekveerko.

For example:

Say you buy the first episode of Enterprise the series on video and hate it? Would you continue to buy Star Trek: Enterprise
    expecting it to get better each episode?"

well, i've never been a star trek fan, but i've given it the benefit of the doubt on repeated occasions, to discern what it is that people like about it. i can sit through it, it's just boring. the trailer for the newest installment in the movie series does look a bit interesting, though, i must admit.
    here's why your argument doesn't hold water: what you're proposing is for someone who hates the first installment of a series to stop watching the series - sage advice; well-said. the problem with this argument is that tpm is not the first installment of star wars - a new hope holds that honor - a worthy start to a wonderful series of films. pt. 2 - esb - even more captivating, visually, with a lovely cliffhanger ending that leaves you anxiously awaiting the next installment. pt. 3 - an appropriate cap to (arguably) the best trilogy of movies ever made (yet) this one appeals more to the action lovers who found the first two a bit slow, thrusts us into an intense climax, and turns the tables on us, changing our perception of good guys and bad guys - if vader's the hero of the saga, then there's no such thing as absolute evil, according to this movie.
    tpm is the fourth installment of star wars. attack of the clones the fifth. how can somebody simply abandon a movie that's affected their childhood and perceptions of reality simply because they find some parts of the newer installments questionable, or even annoyingly terrible?
    what you're proposing is that someone completely give up their love for something that's been a part of their lives for over 20 years, and to me, that's just not possible. i just can't wait to find out how anakin really becomes vader, and all those other unanswered questions we've been waiting for so long.
    let DrE and everyone else who hates eps 1&2 still give star wars the benefit of the doubt and hold out for ep3, hoping it will strike that cord that drew them into the series in the first place.

19. devil24

devil24 Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002

All that I can say is that I have enjoyed the prequels very much so far, and can't wait until the day where I can watch them as one gigantic movie. I just don't see how some people dismiss the prequels as not true Star Wars movies.

20. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Since you put it that way zeekveerko, I'm sorry for being ignorant.

As long as people accept that Episode 1 and 2 are part of the sega of Star Wars, no matter how good or bad you think they are, then thats good for me.

21. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/starwarsmoviepage/duel.gif]

24 and jedi learner - i agree. the prequels are star wars, like it or not. i, for one, am glad that the new movies are not what i wanted or thought they would be - they're products of gl's imagination, and nobody can argue that. some people may choose not to watch them again, but myself, i've actually had the urge for the prequels more than the ot's lately, because they're new, and i've seen those others enough to have them memorized (to an extent).
    i'm not a basher nor a gusher, just a young american man who loves watching movies, evaluating them, talking about them with as many different people who can enjoy that line of conversation. natually, i ended up here. :D

Edit: unfortunately, that gif up above is dodgy, at best. it's either there or not, with no pattern whatsoever.

22. devil24

devil24 Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002

zeev,

I agree. i also love the prequels cuz they're new. heck, i used to pop the OT in my vcr to help me fall asleep sometimes just cuz i've seen them so many times.

23. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I think it's safe to say that about 99 percent of the population pretty much blindly accept any movie that gets enough hype. I was luckily blessed/cursed with a discerning eye for quality and although it often puts me in the minority I would never trade places with the people who accept every movie that comes out just because it's new.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Some of you seem so worried about wasting time on something that "isn't well done", that you can't see the irony of hanging out here in this forum, keeping eternal vigil so that you don't accidentally enjoy something just because it's "new".

25. luwho4sale

luwho4sale Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    SORRY BUT LUCAS IS DOING A VERY GOOD JOB WITH THE PT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.