main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get off Lucas' back!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthWolfie, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    >SWfan2002, you posted three different sources. JediMaster22 posted exactly one. <

WOW!

Just saying Episode II was A+ from 3 sources is BETTER than my opionion???

Yes, I only posted ONE (IMDB), but if you wish, go find out yourself that MOST everywhere else is the same, that if you compare it to LOTR or Minority Report, Signs (places with votes from general people), those movies are Rated highter than Star Wars:AOTC and TPM.

You guys are really wanting Star Wars prequels to have LOW standards!!!

I want it HIGHER, and there isn't nothing wrong with it! IS IT ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain]

Why NOT BETTER than LOTR, Minority Report??And your comment on LOTR is just YOURS, I am sure most people Loved LOTR!! And this forum isn't about LOTR, so another thread is a BETTER proper place for the discussion.

And, I DO RESPECT GL, thus why I continue to buy his works, discuss his creations over and over. I thought the detective story in AOTC was great, and action is Awesome. Otherwise, I would NOT buy & talk about any of SW again! I would give it up, and screw him, but...I am still a Huge fan, cuz I like AOTC, but that's NOT to say AOTC is Perfect in any way!!!

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, however, between Constructive Critism and Bashing. Bashing is like Cussing him and tell him to goto hell, or threaten him, something like that.

I have done none of that, all I SAID is he NEEDS to direct actors better, or it's a shame... that's ALL I am saying!

2. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Note to people saying Lucas needs to listen to constructive criticism: "U cant work with acting!!!! Hire someone with EMOTION like SPEILBERG!!!!!!" is not constructive criticism.

3. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    JediMaster your "evidence" doesn't show that AOTC was not liked, only that LOTR or MR or whatever was better liked. AOTC was still very well liked by all sources that I've seen. Add Moviefone to that list where AOTC has a 4/5 rating from users.

4. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    "I'm not that passionate about this story. I like it, it's fun and I enjoy doing it. But it's definitely not my life. I'm a bigger movie fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I like making movies." -George Lucas regarding Star Wars.

You see, get off his back. He doesn't really care, why should you?

5. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    >your "evidence" doesn't show that AOTC was not liked, only that LOTR or MR or whatever was better liked.<

That's MY POINT!!! LOTR, or MR or Signs was Better Liked than AOTC!

There is NO Excuse for what, and because I held Star Wars to HIGHER standards, which you guys seems don't!

6. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    Really Jedi Master? Every source adn poll I've seen people have rated star wars better than the movies you have mentioned. I just visited a movie site that had a poll for best movie of the year and Star Wars was #1 followed by signs and in 3rd was spiderman.

7. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    Why NOT BETTER than LOTR, Minority Report??

In my mind it already is better than LOTR and that wasn't difficult. All a matter of perception.

And your comment on LOTR is just YOURS, I am sure most people Loved LOTR!!

Ah, just what we need another uniformed, speculating based on his own opinion person who thinks that his opinion speaks for "everyone else". Stop it, please. You ARE wrong when you do that.

And this forum isn't about LOTR, so another thread is a BETTER proper place for the discussion.

Please stop comparing the two. I liked LOTR, but compared to all of the films in the Star Wars Saga, even the PT, it's just another jonny-come-lately Fantasy action movie. It was well done, but the story does not have the instant accesability that SW does for "regular people" who you seem to think liked LOTR better than AOTC. I've heard too many "regular" people who didn't read Tolkien's books say the action was great, but they really didn't get all the plot points. So that throws your theory out the window.

8. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    >"I'm not that passionate about this story. I like it, it's fun and I enjoy doing it. But it's definitely not my life. I'm a bigger movie fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I like making movies." -George Lucas regarding Star Wars. <

WOW, I have NOT heard of this quote ever BEFORE. And, this is certainly the MOST Ironic statement I've ever heard!

The story, the basic plot of AOTC ROCKED! NO OTHER Director can write this kind of story!!! It's NOT only FUN, but fancinating (Who is Syfo-Dyas, why did Yoda hear Qui-Gon while Meditating), but you see it's really the way HOW the movie was made/cut (Mostly in the Love story, the need-to-work-on dialogs I have to admit!) I have some issues with!

9. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    "Please stop comparing the two. I liked LOTR, but compared to all of the films in the Star Wars Saga, even the PT, it's just another jonny-come-lately Fantasy action movie. It was well done, but the story does not have the instant accesability that SW does for "regular people" who you seem to think liked LOTR better than AOTC. I've heard too many "regular" people who didn't read Tolkien's books say the action was great, but they really didn't get all the plot points. So that throws your theory out the window."

If your statement is true, and the "regular" people found that SW was instantly accessable, then please explain how LOTR is going to generate more BO revenue with a movie that is thirty percent longer in length? Did all the "non-regulars" enjoy it? What does your quote suggest?

10. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    There is NO Excuse for what, and because I held Star Wars to HIGHER standards, which you guys seems don't!

And AOTC was better, waaay better than LOTR to me, so why should I care if someone else likes LOTR better?

11. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    I liked both Star Wars and LOTR, but I am a star wars fan so I liked AOTC better. Although I prefer not to compare them. To me they are both amazing movies, but LOTR is very different movie in my opinion. I think it's like comparing apples and oranges.

12. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    JediMaster22,

Here is the link to the quote:

Lucas quote

13. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Thank God GL is not a huge fan of his own work. Unlike that nerd hack Peter Jackson...

14. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Do you know what happens when someone finds themselves at a loss in a debate? They find the need to lash out against ather people with slanders and often cusses. I would think that the maturity level in here should be on a higher level.

Foxbatkllr,

I am getting the impression that somewhere along the line, I offended you personally. If this is the case, please let me know so that I can make amends.

15. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    im beginning to think that you "gushers" dont want the films to be better. as long as its passable thats "good enough" for most of you. well gee, would it be such a terrible thing if it was good enough so that it could earn the kind of universal appeal the the OT had? maybe you are happy its bad because it weeds out the fanbase and makes you more of an uberfan than the others since you will settle for this crap and others wont. "im so hardcore ill like it no matter what"

congratulations on your big fan status. we are all so very impressed

"Saying, "It's good enough," in the course of film production is perfectly valid, and only those ignorant of the production process would even question this statement (no doubt taken out of context, but it's a valid statement none the less). When someone says, "It's good enough," it means exactly that. It doesn't mean, "I know it sucks, but leave it." It doesn't mean, "I don't feel like wasting money to get it right." It means, "Any further tinkering will make this different but not necessarily better. Leave it alone because it's good enough."

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

the same man who said "it's good enough" also said "I'm not that passionate about this story. I like it, it's fun and I enjoy doing it. But it's definitely not my life. I'm a bigger movie fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I like making movies."

its exactly comments like "it's good enough" and "I'm not that passionate about this story" that has turned hollywood into a crap mill. maybe "its good enough" works on whatever uninteresting local podunk news broadcast you produce durwood, but that kind of BS sure as hell wont fly on something IM working on. and beleive me, ive been there. and this is on projects that dont have the HUGE BUDGETS that lucas has to work with.

but now i see where you are coming from durwood, and i see that you obviously dont care about how good you can make something even if it is at the expense of the schedule.

i bet you would never hear speilberg say "its good enough" until IT IS. in my experience "its good enough" separates the artists from the buisinessmen and hacks.

16. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "would it be such a terrible thing if it was good enough so that it could earn the kind of universal appeal the the OT had?"

No it wouldn't, DrE. But, on the other hand, would it be such a terrible thing if people could just enjoy movies without worrying about whether critics or other fans thought they were good enough? It doesn't bother me that you don't like the prequels, and I hope it doesn't offend you that I like them, so why do we have to argue?

I will say this, though. The "universal appeal" of the OT isn't nearly as universal as we are led to believe. If only this forum was around back then :)

17. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Ok, so you think my comments are NOT constructive?

Maybe because you CHOOSE to skip the praises I already mentioned for GL, but omited while saying those negative aspects cuz I thought it wasn't necessary.

Let's see if I can make it MORE constructive for you, Combining the praises and critism TOGETHER...

To George Lucas:

George, there's NO question that the lastest Star Wars movies (The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones) became the Coolest, and the fanciest Digital Effect in Hollywood. There is also NO question Attack Of The Clones was BETTER than The Phantom Menace, even though Darth Maul did NOT reprise his COOL SITH role.

The story, the basic plot of AOTC ROCKED! NO OTHER Director can write this kind of COOL story!!! It's NOT only FUN, but very fancinating (Who is Syfo-Dyas, why did Yoda hear Qui-Gon while Meditating just to name a couple) and I appreciate you for THESE things!!!

And you know, George, both Hayden and Natalie said you are very cool/friendly person. So, YES, you are Definately NOT a bad director, AT ALL!

Although, have you looked at the General audiences reactions to Lord Of the Rings, Minority Report, Sign,etc ?? My God, all of these movie looks like are rated better than Attack of the Clones.

Yes, People said AOTC was Indeed Better than TPM, but still the Love story was pretty lacking! They believed the movie was misleading because the love story was short, while you advertised it as much more love story. Plus, its not as good as the Han/Leia's love story. I DO agree with that, and for many reasons I don't blame it on YOUR actors - Hayden and Natalie! Do you? Do you think you hired the wrong actors?

And, I didn't think TPM/AOTC was horrible either, but I wanted it better as well!

And you know, if you can become as good at directing the love story as well as directing the Action sequences, Episode II would be a MasterPiece, and be a favorite to MANY people FOR SURE!

Why NOT? Your Final battle WASN'T the problem! You Action scenes WASN'T the problem either! Anakin's Emotional Step to the Darkside on Tatooine WASN'T the problem either! The Speeder chase, Obi-wan vs Jango ALSO WASN'T the problem!!! The plot, the whole plan WAS VERY VERY Intelligent, NOT a PROBLEM either! Natalie's Confession of Love to Anakin on Geonosis was Great, so that also WASN'T a problem!

You see, you have about 2/3 of the movie IN Great CONTROL! People's main problem with the movie was the way Anakin and Padme fall in love on Naboo, which again YOU and Lucasfilm advertised as a bigger theme ("Episode II will be a love story" - You!!!), but it failed to do so on Many levels.

In some scenes, both Hayden(Anakin) & Natalie(Padme) acted more natural (Picnic scene), in other scenes (FirePlace, etc) she acted like there is no life. That is VERY awkward to people who DO not know why!

Because you deleted MANY Important scenes (These scenes will explaining why it is so), and because your dialogs that doesn't make sense to those OTHER than your MOST dedicated followers, they couldn't Follow as well as I DO (Since I read the script, they HAVE NOT. I have a better understanding why, but you see they Don't!) The love story only came in around 10 minutes, way too short for a real love story, and the flirting was Non-sense. As I said it felt awkward, it probably wouldn't be so if you never deleted some scenes!

Now, with the POWER of DVD, you could at LEAST use the technology used on Terminator II/X-men (Seamless) to INSERT back some of those Dialogs that may help explain your love story MUCH better. However, from what I heard you choose to just put the deleted scenes on Disk 2, and we are not even sure if more Love scenes will be added or not.

I really Don't hate or dislike you, GL, but what were you thinking when you released Episode II with such a weak Love story? And, you advertised as if it's A love story people will not forget?

Please, DO all of us a favor, including yourself. So, any criticism like this will be gone forever.

If there are Scenes on the cutting Room f

18. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Do you know what happens when someone finds themselves at a loss in a debate? They find the need to lash out against ather people with slanders and often cusses. I would think that the maturity level in here should be on a higher level.

Foxbatkllr,

I am getting the impression that somewhere along the line, I offended you personally. If this is the case, please let me know so that I can make amends.

I called Peter Jackson exactly what he is. I truly believe that he is a nerd hack. I didn't personally slander anyone here. No you haven't personally offended me. My bitterness and hostility comes from months of people on these boards telling me that I'm stupid for enjoying what I thought was a great movie.

19. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    People who would accuse someone of being stupid because of their taste in movies probably have some issues that you can't help them with. You just have to shrug it off. Attacking another film is only adding fuel to the fire.

I personally enjoyed both films. As I told Elfstar earlier, win-win for me! :)

20. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    If your statement is true, and the "regular" people found that SW was instantly accessable, then please explain how LOTR is going to generate more BO revenue with a movie that is thirty percent longer in length? Did all the "non-regulars" enjoy it? What does your quote suggest?

BO revenue has nothing to do with the reaction after the fact. Word of mouth and marketing overhype causes BO revenue, not quality of film. Like I said, a lot of people thought LOTR was a good action movie, which it was. That generated BO revenue, even thought the plot may have been a bit muddled to joe six pack, he paid his 9 bucks to see bows and arrows and stuff and got just that. Die Hard 25 with a Death Wish will probably generate lots of BO revenue, that doesn't put it in the same category as Star Wars either. And I'm sure it's most accessable.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but LOTR is playing in the theater anymore, it isn't generating anything BO-wise. DVD sales and rentals are NOT BO revenue. I don't know the final theatrical tally for LOTR because it's not going in my pocket, so I have no interest in how much other people make, just myself. But I'd be willing to bet LOTR doesn't even come close to AOTC in overall $$.

21. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    no DarthHomer, im not offended at all that you enjoyed the prequels. im happy that you did. and im not worried about what critics said or what fans think. i just want the films to be up to the quality of the rest of the saga, and to me, they simply are not.

22. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I think a lot of people are upset at the attention that LOTR is getting and wind up hating it just out of spite.

I am a "gusher". I love the PT. But, I will admit that after seeing LOTR, the acting and dialogue were much better. Not a single moment stood out as cheesy.

AOTC had a few moments like that. BUT THAT"S WHAT MAKES IT SW! Go back and watch the OT and you will see just as many bad lines as in the PT.

23. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Foxbatkllr,
    I've felt like that, I think AOTC is a great movie and I've been slated for it. And I have to agree about Jackson, oh yeah FOTR is great [face_plain] its about as interesting as Scooby Doo [face_plain]

And out of the so called big blockbusters this summer only 2 fulfilled the enjoyment I hoped for, AOTC and Austin Powers.

24. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    >Like I said, a lot of people thought LOTR was a good action movie<

Many people thought LOTR was GOOD in Action AS WELL AS it is GOOD in Quality Drama, means it is WELL BALANCED!

AOTC however, is GREAT in Action, but weak in Love story, thus the reaction from audiences it's NOT well Balanced!!!

25. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    there may have been "cheesy" lines in the OT but none of them compare to the terrible ones of the PT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.