Get off Lucas' back!!!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by DarthWolfie, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    >AOTC and Austin Powers. <

Putting AOTC and Austin Powers in the SAME Class is a Disgrace, [face_plain]
  2. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I_WAS_JUST_BANNED,

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

Current BO total for LOTR:FOTR = $860.1 Zillion Gillion Bazillion.

It is still showing at a minimal number of theaters in the US (33 weeks).

As far as Box Office sales are evaluated against the popularity of a movie, here is my opinion. It's pretty safe to assume that both films have a very large fan base. I don't know for a fact, but I would assume that Star Wars may be slightly larger in that sense. Of course, in the US, FOTR will end up with more revenue which tells me that it was more accessable as a whole because more tickets were purchased resulting in more people attending resulting in a long run-on sentence. Breathe.

Both movies have been very successful. Both Directors are and will be acclaimed for their respective works. Why is it that they can share a sandbox but the fans will not?
  3. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling

star 1
    im beginning to think that you "gushers" dont want the films to be better.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

We don't think they need to be better. You do.

its exactly comments like "it's good enough" and "I'm not that passionate about this story" that has turned hollywood into a crap mill. maybe "its good enough" works on whatever uninteresting local podunk news broadcast you produce durwood, but that kind of BS sure as hell wont fly on something IM working on. and beleive me, ive been there. and this is on projects that dont have the HUGE BUDGETS that lucas has to work with.

Something tells me you'd have a GREEN lightsaber. I've said "it's good enough" plenty of times on my projects (music) and you know what? I said it because that's what it was - GOOD ENOUGH. To me, good enough usually means, "you're not going to get it any better and more takes means less concentration, more distraction and poorer performance. When you've got it, you got it, and it's GOOD ENOUGH. It's Millah Time..
  4. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    $860.1 Billion.

Wow that must be a record ;)
  5. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    No I'm not putting them in the same class, I'm saying I found them both more emjoyable than the other "blockbusters".

Austin Powers is not in the same class but I do find it entertaining.

I'm sorry you ignorantly took my words the wrong way. [face_plain]
  6. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  7. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    Quotes are being taken out of context again. Lucas isn't saying "I hate Star Wars, it bores me and I wish I were at home doing laundry". He's basically just re-stating what he's said a few times before, that he doesn't really care about pleasing all the hardassed fans who nitpick every little detail and say the movie sucks.

He probably could have chosen better words to express this, but eh, whatcha gonna do. Let's all stop being such dicks.
  8. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "good enough" to lucas also means that lovely and incredibly well-executed greedo shooting first scene that fans were so thrilled about.
  9. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    George doesn't know what he is talking about his own movies... I think.

What he said about Episode III

The third film, which must finish Anakin's transition from Jedi prodigy to evil overlord, will, as Lucas says, be "a tragedy." Preparing early for fans' backlash, he says, "It's not a happy movie by any stretch of the imagination. It will probably be the least successful of all the Star Wars movies...

It will probably be the least successful of all the Star Wars movies???

Wow, He Evidentally UnderESTIMATE the power of Teen-Adults, and OverEstimate the power of kiddies!!! [face_plain]

See, that's why many people argue with GL's decisions, like Director of Empire Strikes Back, about how to direct it.

He simply lost it, it will probably be the MOST Successful of All the Star Wars movies, if it's Dark and Emotional as hell, I'd say!!!

Cuz, average moviegoers just like Dark movies! Empire succeed better in that aspect, thus why Empire is the best OT film to majority of SW fans!
  10. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    get over it Dr.E, just get over it no mtter of moaning about one shot or a film will ever change it.
  11. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    Jedimaster22: that if you compare it to LOTR or Minority Report, Signs (places with votes from general people), those movies are Rated highter than Star Wars:AOTC and TPM.

You guys are really wanting Star Wars prequels to have LOW standards!!!

I want it HIGHER, and there isn't nothing wrong with it! IS IT

Why NOT BETTER than LOTR, Minority Report??

I second that. Why settle for mediocrity? The fact is the cinema going public (non Star Wars fans with action figures in there bedrooms, posters on there walls etc) thought AOTC was a mediocre summer blockbuster. It shouldnt be, it should be up there with the best, like the old films were.
  12. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Cuz, average moviegoers just like Dark movies! Empire succeed better in that aspect, thus why Empire is the best OT film to majority of SW fans!

Uh...By least successful GL was talking about box office.

Empire Strikes Back: Darkest movie, only SW movie not to make $300 million.

AOTC: Way darker and better than TPM. Made much less than TPM.

Darkness does not breed box office success.
  13. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    The only people who will say something like that PLACE TOO MUCH stupid importance on KIDS!!!!

Titanic, Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, Lord Of The Rings, Independence Day, Sixth Sense, Jaws, Batman, etc... are NO MORE Happy stories/Kid Friendlier than Star Wars is!

Even though, there will be A lot of Killings in Ep3, a lot of Seriousness, doesn't stop any kid who is Familiar with Any of the ABOVE-LISTED movies (All time Box Champs) to think Jedi, Sith, Yoda, Darth Sidious, Darth Vader is Cool.

Anything Cool, kids will like regardless of how dark it is. Doesn't GL know better???
  14. SlowLearner Jedi Knight

star 3
    <<<The fact is the cinema going public (non Star Wars fans with action figures in there bedrooms, posters on there walls etc) thought AOTC was a mediocre summer blockbuster.>>>

I disagree. If the general cinema going public thought AOTC was mediocre, it would never have made 300 million at the box office. In my book, a mediocre summer blockbuster would be MIB2.
  15. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    >I disagree. If the general cinema going public thought AOTC was mediocre, it would never have made 300 million at the box office. <

ONCE again, Hype will get you $300 million!!!

Reputation based on the two words "Star Wars" alone will get you that!

Some people think AOTC is better than TPM(Which is many) should also get you that!

A bunch of General Cineam going public thought AOTC was Mediocre, IS A FACT REALLY! It's pointless to argue about that, as if AOTC was loved by everybody just like you or me.
  16. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hype may be responsible for AOTC's first few weeks, but it was positive word of mouth that carried it from there.
  17. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    >Hype may be responsible for AOTC's first few weeks, but it was positive word of mouth that carried it from there. <

NO!!!

How was $300 million Great?

For Jedi's sakes, AOTC is much better than TPM was and didn't even come close to the TPM figure.

And, don't tell me that's because AOTC was LESS kid friendly... As I said, Titanic, Jurrasic Park, Lord Of The Rings, ID4 AREN'T really kid friendly either.

Especially Titanic, why didn't Teens goto AOTC over and OVER just to see Hayden and Natalie's Hotness? Cuz, the love story failed, it made no sense to them!! Not because both Actors aren't attractive, they both are good-looking people!

For many people, they don't need any Word Of Mouth to see Star Wars, for them, all they need to hear is "Star Wars is coming out", they will see it! And, yes, they find the movie disappointing!!!
  18. stone_jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    The positive word of mouth that I kept hearing was "It's better than The Phantom Menace". ;)

19. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling

star 1
    "good enough" to lucas also means that lovely and incredibly well-executed greedo shooting first scene that fans were so thrilled about.

You are the first and only person I've ever known to groan about this scene. I'm sure there are others like you, just as I'm sure they are the extremely small numbered, yet very opinionated and vocal minority.

I actually liked this scene. To me it was "good enough" in the literal sense, not the sarcastic, jaded by rejection, I could do better but I'd rather just bitch about somebody else's work instead of do something great on my own sense.
  20. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe AOTC didn't do as well as TPM because Lucasfilm only spent 25 million to market it-- the same amount as Insomnia. TPM got TONS of free advertising from the press, AOTC did not.
  21. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    "Its George Lucas's baby so he can do what he wants with it."

To all the people (many of them there are)that write the above comment:

If George Lucas filmed 2 hours of a blank cinema screen with the occasional Eskimo and polar bear, you would all probably be saying the same thing.
  22. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ONCE again, Hype will get you $300 million!!!

Not to burst your bubble there, but AOTC was hardly hyped.
  23. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't believe we have to keep making the same arguments over and over again...

LOTR- Highly anticipated movie...Fans of the book have been squealing like 14 year old girls for 50 years for this one to be made...and it didn't beat Titanic? Ha! It had no competition when it came out all the way back in December. Sounds like a failure to me.

AOTC- Not only is this the 5th movie in a long running movie franchise, Spider-Man, another highly anticipated 1st movie, got a 2 week headstart on AOTC. It obviously wasn't going to run out of steam in its 3rd weekend. Then came a gaggle of one-week wonders to further draw away certain demographic groups. And AOTC still made it to $300 million, a distant 2nd to 1st-run Spiderman, but still heads and shoulders above anything else this summer.

Sidenote: Did anyone else happen to notice that Time Magazine, the most widely read news magazine, put Spiderman on its cover the week AOTC came out. Oops! No media bias there.

24. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling

star 1
    If George Lucas filmed 2 hours of a blank cinema screen with the occasional Eskimo and polar bear, you would all probably be saying the same thing.

And by the same line of thinking, If it was as good as ANH and ESB, if not better, you would still pull out the microscope and find miniscule things to exaggerate so that you would have something to complain about and say it doesn't hold up to the OT, thereby justfying your existence.

If we're all predisposed to feel one way or another about these movies, which it seems pretty obvious most people who come here are, I sure as hell would rather be one of those going home happy from seeing AOTC rather than whiny and upset.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

- Dean Wormer, Animal House

25. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    AOTC Was better than ESB in A LOT OF ways, InDeed! I sincerely acknowledge that, really!

My Opinion is, this is THE. BEST. STAR WARS MOVIE. EVER!!!!! Considering plotwise, and Special Effect wise, it's a WINNER!

However, probably NOT the BEST overall movie! I did think AOTC was BEST EVER at one point, cuz like many of you I lowered the Standard for the way the Love story is handled.

I always, from the start blamed GL for given Actors such poor lines to work with, which is No surprise.

At first, after I watch AOTC for the first time, I find the love story issues to be very minor, but after time I just realized the reason I was FINE with the love story was because what I know from the scripts. The spoilers helped me understand the love story better, but seeing it from General audience's point of view, I understand where they come from, and I don't blame them. The love story is awkward, and it should never been for the final Cut!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.