main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get off Lucas' back!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthWolfie, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zanath

Zanath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    Maceo: So anyone who likes AOTC is ignorant? That's what I'm gathering from your post. If that is not what you intended, I suggest you rephrase your post, so not to confuse/offend people.

PS: I love AOTC, but I also love a lot of those other movies, like Citizen Kane (I don't like Chinatown, though, which is strange, cuz I usually like those kind of movies).

2. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    Rear Window kicks ass.

Well, see ya!

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    One thing I learned during the Basher-Gusher wars in the Phantom Menace boards is that the people who think these new films are great are no more "correct" than the people who think they stink. They just end up enjoying themselves more.

I feel very privileged to enjoy these films, and wish more of you could do that.

4. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    DarthWolfie,

People are incensed with Lucas for different reasons...not just because of the way he's doing the trilogies.

Tell me Darth...what do you think of Lucas' decission to "not" make the original version of the trilogy (not the Special Edition) available and DVD? Not just on DVD but period.

Did your father take you to see the "original" trilogy three times when you were five years old? Mine did. Do you understand what it means to love something and then have it ripped away from you?

Here's what really bugs me. I've heard Lucas say, "The movies are mine and I can do whatever I want with them." Obviously it sounds like you concur with this sentiment. While it may be true that he can do whatever he wants with them, should he?

Let me pose a question...

Who made Star Wars a success in 1977?

Who gave Lucas the means to do what he damn well pleases with his money and his movies?

It was simple schmucks like me, that's who!

It was me and millions of other poor slobs like me!

In other words it was the fans.

The fans lined up around the block. The fans bought the tickets. The fans went back to see it over and over again. It was the fans who gave Lucas the means to do whatever the hell he wants with these prequels. Get my drift?

Where would Lucas be without complainers like me who loved the orginal trilogy and hate the new one? (so far)

Lucas owes it to his original fan base to make the original version of the original trilogy available. Instead he's choosing to say "fu#@ you."

Prequels are one thing. Theoretically I can still enjoy the original trilogy even if I don't like the new trilogy but Lucas won't even let me do that.

You're damn right I'm pissed off at Lucas.

Don't tell me to Get off Lucas' back!!!

Just don't do it!

5. DarthWolfie

DarthWolfie Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2002
    Firstly, what's all this talk about "perfect" movies? It is simply not possible for a movie (or anything eg Mona Lisa) to be perfect, there is always something which can be improved upon. At least that's what I think, some people will surely disagree.
    Kryatt_Dragon
    "Tell me Darth...what do you think of Lucas' decission to "not" make the original version of the trilogy (not the Special Edition) available and DVD? Not just on DVD but period."
    Are you telling me that the few minor additions that Lucas made to the original films ruined it for you? Are you saying that improved special effects and 1 or 2 extra scenes turned a great movie into one that you no longer enjoy?
    Besides, didn't he have to touch up the "original" because of the condition of the film anyway? That's what I thought.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Nothing is being "ripped away" from anyone. You love the way the films were before? Hold on to your VHS's and laser discs. Lucas is where he is because he went out there and made it all happen in the first place. You paid to see some movies and maybe buy some related merchandise, that doesn't give you a say in how Lucas tells his own story. If you like it, then great. If not, then don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out of the theater.

7. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    Better start putting your head through the wall again. GL's directing, storytelling and plot all stink for this DIE-HARD STAR WARS FAN.

Star Wars is GL's baby and he can do with it whatever the hell he wants! Your right, He has every right to ruin his franchise if he wants too.

Long live GL!!!! YES!!!but please don't make EP III, I don't wan to go home depressed again!

GEORGE LUCAS CHANGES HIS MIND LIKE THE WIND BUT HE HIS NEVER IS MAN ENOUGH TO ADMIT WHEN HE CHANGES HIS MIND. "I NEVER SAID THERE WOULD BE 9 MOVIES" - Right, sir that must have been YODA that said that back in 1983 after you released ROTJ.

SIR, YOU SOLD OUT ON ALL THE REAL STAR WARS FANS!

STAR WARS IS DEAD - ACCEPT IT

8. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    STAR WARS IS DEAD

Dead, except for the movie that's out in theaters, the DVD for said movie in November, Episode III and its DVD, the OT DVDs, and the millions of fans.

Right...

If this is "dead", then most movie franchises probably can't wait to be dead.

9. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    Are you telling me that the few minor additions that Lucas made to the original films ruined it for you? Are you saying that improved special effects and 1 or 2 extra scenes turned a great movie into one that you no longer enjoy?

Can you imagine if Leonardo DaVinci wanted to alter the Mona Lisa two decades after he painted it?

No one else has ever done anything like Lucas has done with the original trilogy, ever...and you make it sound like it's no big deal.

I don't think you saw the original trilogy when you were a kid did you?

1 or 2 extra scenes?

If you want to talk about 1 or 2 extra scenes watch the newest version of Close Encounters. The SW special editions hardly have just a few new scenes. The very fact that you can say that is evidence of your age and lack of empathy. I'd like to see how you react when someone changes a movie you loved 25 years ago and then tells you that the old version will no longer be available.

Tell me...

How long do you think a VHS tape of the original version is going to last when it's already a decade old?

Do the old VHS versions have the benefit of a touched-up negative?

Do the old VHS versions have the re-inserted Biggs footage at the end of the movie?

Is having the orginal versions on VHS comparable to having them on DVD?

The answers are no, no, no, and no.

Besides, didn't he have to touch up the "original" because of the condition of the film anyway? That's what I thought

This is an entirely separate issue. Of course I don't mind having a touched up negative. Truthfully, I actually like some of the new footage but most of it I don't. But since I can't pick and choose I would have to settle for everything being the way it used to be...which is fine by me.

Can you give me one good reason why Lucas can't make both versions available?

It seems to me he could actually make more money this way.

Chémus likes this.
  10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    So, that's just what YOU want.

What about what Lucas, the guy who made this all possible in the first place wants?

Do you even care?

He doesn't owe you guys a thing.

11. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Can you give me one good reason why Lucas can't make both versions available?

It seems to me he could actually make more money this way.

Too little demand. The people who buy the originals will be die-hard fans. Most would by the UEs. So it financially wouldn't make sense to put out two editions.

However, I do agree that putting the OEs along with the SEs would make sense. But there are two reasons against that:
    1. Lucas doesn't believe that the OEs are finished works. Many fans may believe that, but your asking why Lucas doesn't do it, and that's a reason.
    2. Once again, cost. Look at the TPM DVD. One DVD for the movie, and one for extras. If he included the originals with the UEs, there would need to be three DVDs per movie. That's nine discs total, three more than would be needed otherwise. And consumer demand probably isn't high enough to do that.

12. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    "if you and GL choose to ignore them or cant come up with anything better thats your problem."

What was bad besides some acting and dialogue issues? All films have bad acting and dialogue. I just watched A Beautiful Mind, and while I think it was incredible, I even spotted some iffy scripting and acting.

What's wrong with Episode II? I'd like to know. Seemed like the story, action, music, character development, and everything else was pretty solid.

That's just my opinion though. Oh, and in the future, respect opinions rather than making bland comments like that. Lucas made it...he watched it...wrote it...I'm sure if something wasn't right, HE would notice, not people like you or I. You just don't agree with the path he is taking, and that's fine. But calling people ignorant and saying we don't have the ability to notice faults is just, well, retarded.

13. DarthBone7686

DarthBone7686 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    How do we know the originals of the OTwon't be offered on DVD? Was this released and I missed it? I think it's pretty possible that, when the saga is released as a whole DVD set, they may be included. From what I've gathered, the total DVD count would be 12 (2 per movie). Separate OT discs would make it 15, not 9.

Each OT Movie could be 2 discs...

Disk 1: Special Special (Archival, I guess) Edition
    Disk 2 (double-sided): Original release/documentaries and all other extras

It doesn't seem to be the style, though.

14. DarthBone7686

DarthBone7686 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    My bad...you weren't including PT in your disc count. Sorry.

15. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    K-Dragon,

I was 12 when ANH first came out. I was out there in 1977, in line for hours ON EACH VIEWING. I was in line wrapped around the building. I used to ride the bus to the theater 20 miles away with my friends. I could recite the movie word-for-word from beginning to end.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT I LOVE THE SE's (with the exception of "Greedo Shoots First" thing, which I plan on fixing with my own Phantom Edit). I like the Jabba scene, I LOVE the Battle on the Deathstar, I like the bigger Mose Eisley, I like Biggs, I like "Close the Blast Door".

SO GET OFF LUCAS' BACK!!!

16. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    So, that's just what YOU want.

What about what Lucas, the guy who made this all possible in the first place wants?

Do you even care?

He doesn't owe you guys a thing.

First of all it's not just what I want. Millions of other fans want it too. It's in high demand. Secondly, Lucas didn't make it all possible by himself...he had lots of help from very talented people and he had help from fans in the form of money to do everything after the original Star Wars. Thirdly, in repsonse to he doesn't owe us a thing, I disagree emphatically Do you really think he doesn't owe his fans anything? If you made a movie that you weren't even sure was going to break even and it became the highest grossing film of all time wouldn't you feel "some" gratitude toward your fan base?

Too little demand. The people who buy the originals will be die-hard fans. Most would by the UEs. So it financially wouldn't make sense to put out two editions.

Well, maybe it's not financially feasable for me either. For all the appreciation Lucas has shown toward his fans maybe I can't afford to support him anymore. All he has to do is coordinate the amount of supply for how much demand there is. The guy is the richest movie-maker of all time. He can certainly afford to release the original versions.

Lucas doesn't believe that the OEs are finished works.

What gets finished? Does any film-maker ever get to finish something completely? How many film-makers can look at a film they did 20 years ago and not find anything that they'd want to change?

It's about letting go. Lucas is an obssessive-compulsive who can't find it in himself to love his own creation unconditionally. He cares more about his shame than his devotion to his fans.

It's bad enough that he has to conjure up excuses for everything but it's a double whammy when his own fans come to his rescue.

17. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>Can you imagine if Leonardo DaVinci wanted to alter the Mona Lisa two decades after he painted it?<<<

How do you know he didn't? Here we are, some 500 years later--we don't have two version to compare and nitpick and bicker about. We just have the one classic, that can be called the artist's final vision.

I imagine that's what'll happen to Star Wars. Fans like us might bitch about it, but newcomers to the series won't care or even notice the changes. They'll just see it as a cool, classic movie.

(and for the record, I agree with you--there were some cool new bits, but the special editions were mostly bad. I wish Lucas would restore the negative for the original films and release them on DVD. Ok, maybe he can keep the SE ending of RotJ, just to give the movies a better sense of closure--but beyond that, leave everything alone!)

18. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Ha.. funny that you say that George Lucas needs to let go, the man that says that "letting go" is one of Anakin's problems..

Let's put it this way, you fell in love with a movie that the creator didn't even think was what he wanted. So, when he got the chance to do it, he fixed it up to the way he wanted. Sounds reasonable? No, because it's NOT what you grew up with, it's not what you want. You perceived Mos Eisley as a not so populated town, but that's not was Lucas thought originally.

What to do, what to do.

19. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    PS, no, Lucas DOESN'T owe the fans anything. It's not like we paid him money out of the goodness of our heart. We weren't investing in future Lucasfilm productions.

We paid money to see a movie. We saw said movie. That's the end of the transaction, buddy. Sorry if you wanted more, but I thought everything was pretty clear.

>>>The guy is the richest movie-maker of all time. He can certainly afford to release the original versions.<<<

He can also afford to give out a free puppy with every purchase of the DVD set...so what? He doesn't want to, he doesn't have to, and as someone else pointed out, it's not the smartest business decision ever. Internet nerds like us are in the minority--the general public would probably prefer shiny, newly colored ultra editions with better effects. Why pay the same amount of money for a movie without all the scenes, with worse special effects, and with bad-looking, faded film?

20. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    Daniel,

No offense but IMHO anyone who wholeheartedly embraces the special editions and dismisses the originals never had that much emotional investment in the originals to begin with. How much of a movie has to be dinked with before people such as yourself understand the stupidity of it? Love the superfluous, god-awful special editions if you want but don't tell us purists that our opinions don't matter. I'm sure there are plenty of people in hollywood who are shaking their heads at Lucas' arrogance as well...including some or all of his colleagues.

I'm on Lucas' back and I'm gonna stay there...so :p

21. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Lucas wanted money, so he went and ruined ROTJ with 2 stupid scenes; jabba band and ending. ANH and ESB were ok exept the Greedo scene. If you think of all the people that worked on the original scenes, all the hard work it took to make those scenes only to them replaced by CGs than GL should think of them before he releases the DVDs and erase more hard work.

Don't forget:
    There were people inside those costumes.

People moved those models inch by inch.

I think people have every right to be mad at Lucas.

22. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    and i guess if you dont want to pay more for gas you should pay whatever the oil company wants you to pay because its their gas and they can do whatever they want with it.

and dont ever send food back in a restaurant because that is the way the chef made it.

if you dont like my post TOO BAD... THAT IS THE WAY I WANT IT AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DEBATE IT. JUST LIKE NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO QUESTION THE JUDGEMENT OR SINCERITY OF YOUR LORD AND MASTER GEORGE LUCAS.

man the lengths people will go to defend lucas and his ever changing whims.

what suckers you are!

23. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    PS, no, Lucas DOESN'T owe the fans anything. It's not like we paid him money out of the goodness of our heart. We weren't investing in future Lucasfilm productions.

arrrrggg...YES HE DOES!!!!!

Please explain this concept more clearly as I seem to be having difficulty understanding it.

So we weren't investing in future Lucasfilm products? LOL

but...but...we were

We paid to see his movie and he used "our" money which "we" so kindly gave him so "he" could "invest" it in future Lucas endeavors.

Imagine if Shaquil O'Neal came out and announced, "I don't owe anything to my fans." How do you think his fans would react to that? How would fans of other film-makers react if they announced that they didn't owe anything to their fans? Please explain this to me. I don't get it.

Come on guys...see the light

24. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I saw the light after the SE but I still see the movies and play the games. Just wait till the DVDs are released. Goodbye Yoda puppet.

Did Lucas buy every last VHS before the SEs?Alot of people have not seen the originals. There has to be some out there.

25. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    Probably not, Solo.

You'd probably have to get a bootleg.

Nice huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.