main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get off Lucas' back!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthWolfie, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    there is a huge thread in the OT forum about the high demand for non-SE dvds of the OT. too bad for lucas, most people have decided to buy dvds from singapore.

he has no one to blame but himself.

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "If I read one more complaint about GL's directing, storytelling, plot or anything else I'm gonna put my head through the wall!!!"

Promise?

3. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>Lucas wanted money, so he went and ruined ROTJ with 2 stupid scenes; jabba band and ending. ANH and ESB were ok exept the Greedo scene.<<<

Are you kidding? What was wrong with the RotJ ending? I'd much rather see the galaxy-wide effects of the empire being overthrown than just a tribe of ewoks dancing around.

The jabba band was even worse than the original(which I didn't like either). Otherwise, the RotJ special edition was good. The Sarlaac was a lot more convincing in the SE, and I've already defended the ending.

ESB SE was pretty good too, now that I think about it. But oy, ANH...what a waste. Jabba was terrible...both the scene and the effects. Han shooting first...easily the worst, most cringe-inducing moment in any Star Wars movie. I can't remember what else was changed, but I remember hating just about everything about it. Oh well.

>>>If you think of all the people that worked on the original scenes, all the hard work it took to make those scenes only to them replaced by CGs than GL should think of them before he releases the DVDs and erase more hard work.<<<

Hmmm...what exactly got replaced? It's been a while since I've watched the RotJ SE, but they used the same puppets, didn't they? They just added some new CG shots. Oh, and I guess he replaced the guy who originally played Jabba, but what do you expect? He wasn't in the original movie anyway, so I don't see why he would complain.

4. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    The whole band, the wampa, I'm sure there ware others but I try not to watch the SEs much. ESB was the best SE thats the only one I can ber to watch.

5. VladTheImpaler

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>and i guess if you dont want to pay more for gas you should pay whatever the oil company wants you to pay because its their gas and they can do whatever they want with it.<<<

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You don't like gas?

>>>if you dont like my post TOO BAD... THAT IS THE WAY I WANT IT AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DEBATE IT. JUST LIKE NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO QUESTION THE JUDGEMENT OR SINCERITY OF YOUR LORD AND MASTER GEORGE LUCAS.<<<

Um... yeah. Ok.

I have neither the power nor desire to stop people I disagree with from posting here. I just think it's kind of weird/sad that people spend years on end posting on internet message boards about movies they don't even like.

I find many of your posts to be condescending and insulting. That's just my opinion, but let me tell you--I wouldn't be caught dead at a DrEvazan message board. I'm not going to spend years at DrEvazan.net posting about how disappointed I am in your most recent posts.

>>>So we weren't investing in future Lucasfilm products? LOL

but...but...we were

We paid to see his movie and he used "our" money which "we" so kindly gave him so "he" could "invest" it in future Lucas endeavors.<<<

Again, I think you weren't clear about the transaction. When you bought a ticket for the original Star Wars, you paid for THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS. You didn't enter some corporate contract, legally binding George Lucas to, 22 years down the line, make a prequel trilogy that pleases you and only you on every movie-going level.

>>>Imagine if Shaquil O'Neal came out and announced, "I don't owe anything to my fans." How do you think his fans would react to that? How would fans of other film-makers react if they announced that they didn't owe anything to their fans? Please explain this to me. I don't get it.<<<

Maybe it's just because I hate professional basketball, but seriously, I don't care. If Shaq really said that, it would be rude to his fans--but it would be absolutely true. He doesn't owe his fans anything. He played good basketball to help his team win games. That boosts ratings/ticket sales, of which a small fraction of a percent goes to his paycheck. Once again, fans didn't walk up to him on the streets and hand him 100 dollar bills as a gesture of good will. They paid to watch him play basketball, and that's what they got. What more do they want from him? A free puppy?

6. VladTheImpaler

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>The whole band, the wampa, I'm sure there ware others but I try not to watch the SEs much. ESB was the best SE thats the only one I can ber to watch.<<<

I agree that ESB was the best--I watch it way more than the others, which is why I don't remember if the ROTJ band was completely replaced.

But the ESB wampa was NOT replaced. It was added to, but not replaced. The exact same wampa shots from the original release of ESB are there. They just have a couple full-body shots added in, to make the monster more threatening.

7. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    DrEvazan,

If you are Gary Kurtz, I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank you for your contributions on ANH and ESB even though I find some of your posts coming off as arrogant and insulting. :D

As for the perfect film, it simply doesn't exist. This appies to all art. You don't have to look any farther than the artist who is usually never happy with his or her own work. Logistics prevents them from working on a creation forever. However, the technology exists now to tempt filmmakers to engage in such creative revisionism and tinkering instead of walking away and letting it go.

BTW, Reservoir Dogs was better than Pulp Fiction, IMHO of course. ;)

8. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    Again, I think you weren't clear about the transaction. When you bought a ticket for the original Star Wars, you paid for THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS. You didn't enter some corporate contract, legally binding George Lucas to, 22 years down the line, make a prequel trilogy that pleases you and only you on every movie-going level.

My god man, I'm not talking about "legal" responsibilities I'm talking about "moral" responsibilities. I don't give a crap that I don't have a legally binding contract with the guy. He has a moral responsibility to give something back to his fans. Making the original original trilogy available for purchase would be a very appreciative gesture on his part. Don't tell me I don't deserve it after paying to see his damn movie six times in 1977. The guy has a moral responsibility to make the original versions available...period...end of story.

9. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

He does not have a moral responsibility at all. Even though I prefer the original versions to the SE's, I understand Lucas' reasons for going backk to them and regarding them as the final flicks (until the next special editions).

10. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I just flat out disagree with you, Al.

I'll pose the question again...

Where would Lucas be without his original fans?

If there's no moral obligation then I guess all film-makers should dink with their creations on a whim every 2 decades.

Instead of just asserting opinions can anyone come up with a "real" reason why Lucas has no moral responsibility in this matter?

I haven't seen anything convincing yet.

11. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Tsk, such anger and conflict over such an unimportant subject. Once again it falls to me, the voice of reason in this forum, to bring order.

Here's the deal: if you love the prequels - you're wrong. If you hate them - you're wrong. If you think they're just okay - you're wrong.

There are no perfectly good or perfectly bad films. Apart from Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, This is Spinal Tap, Goodfellas and Monty Pyhton and the Holy Grail, which are all perfect.

As for the special editions, I'd rather Lucas not release the original versions rather than pay $60 for the pleasure of watching the non SE versions like that greedy hack Spielberg is expecting us to do with ET!

Finally, here's an amusing review from a gun-toting prequel hater (warning, may contain offensive language). See, that is where hate leads you. Don't hate the bashers (or the gushers, for that matter). Pity them. And Go-mer is right. Enjoying a film is always better, even if other people don't agree.

12. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    And Dr. I'll eat pizza for desert if I want to!

Planet of the Apes remake wasn't as bad as people say.

13. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Planet of the Apes remake wasn't as bad as people say.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

14. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Lucas' 'moral' responsibility is to put out a work he feels happy with, that best communicates what he is trying to do. The special editions, from his perspective, are the works he feels most accurately reflect his vision.
    If he didn't do so than he is neglecting his moral responsibility.

and what do you mean by the originals anyways? Is it the lack of Guido shooting first? Is it a transfer from shoddy film without proper restoration of colour? Is it the lack of 5.1 digital sound? Alot of Lucas' modifications are ones you probably wouldn't even notice yet enhance the experience nonetheless.

15. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Al,

maybe he meant that Planet of the Apes was WORSE than people say :)

16. jelaat-yubaani

jelaat-yubaani Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2002
    i have to agree. people do not seem to overstand that GL has entertained millions of people globally. if anything i think he should pay less regard to people and make the films exactly how he sees fit.

17. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    He has a moral responsibility to give something back to his fans.

He did return something to his fans. By spending several million dollars, he is making three more movies. The prequel trilogy, have you heard about it? He has said time and time again that he would rather be doing something else, but he does this to please everone.

But, then again, some people aren't happy with it, so I guess he just isn't living up to his fans' expectations. He just screwed everything up again.

Now I am not one to defend Lucas. I really don't care much about Lucas. However, I am grateful that he made these films because I love them. But thinking that he owes you ANYTHING is an absolutely ridiculous comment. You sound like a child fighting over whether you can play with the cool toy.

A moral obligation? Geez, nothing this guy does is good enough, is it?

If the SE's really bother you that much, then you have less of a life than I do.

18. Qui Gon Binks

Qui Gon Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    Amen to that Darth Olsen Twins.

The SEs had some problems but this self-righteous idea of a "moral responsibility" is going way over the top.

19. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    In Monty Python: The Life of Brian, there's a scene near the end where Brian yells "**** off!" to a mob of people who thinks he's the Messiah and are desperate to follow him. It's just something that popped into my head for some reason...

20. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Beautiful analogy

21. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    One thing I will never understand is the sheer depth of hatred that some 'bashers' appear to have for Lucas.

The amount of pleasure I get from watching just the original Star Wars more than makes up for any percieved faults I might see in the Prequel trilogy. I simply cannot express the debt of gratitude I feel to this guy.

Everyone has freedom of choice- it's not Lucas's fault you don't like the new films. He's not really putting you under any pressure to watch them. Anyone who lacks the self awareness to realise that although they may not like it, millions of people think the PT is great truly is a pathetic life form.

Remember- Lucas writes, directs and funds these films himself. He could easily have sold the rights to them, or hired top writers and directors to do the work for him. Instead he decided to commit himself to about a decade of draining, difficult work and is subjected to endless criticism by absolute NOBODIES who have no conception of how tough it is. I know he's rich. I think that's why he gets such a bad press. Thank god creative people can become successful.

Get off his back.

22. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    AL, did you read that review I posted a link to? You may have trouble looking in the mirror next time ;)

23. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Anyone who calls themselves a Star Wars fan yet bashes GL personally is sick, twisted and has a short memory. Criticism of the movies is valid but personal criticism of GL is way out of line.

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I just want to know what Lucas done to deserve bashing in the first place. People love his movies. They do. Episode I wouldn't be like at no. 3 on the all time charts. Episode II wouldn't be in the top 40 in box office. The originals wouldn't be so high on the list. The VHS and DVD versions of the film wouldn't have sold like hotcakes. People wouldn't be complaining about the lack of OT DVD's.

Face it. Lucas has done nothing wrong. He's a filmmaker; a creative genius- and you cannot argue that. Whether you absolutely, for some reason, totally despise the "prequels" he is still the one who started the story that has drawn millions of people in. Look at all these people, like ourselves, that collect things. Wait in line for his movies. You can hate the prequels all you want to, but he IS the one that started the originals, and in my opinion, he's doing superb with the prequels.

For those of you bashers who had the skills and opportunity, funding, and everything else to make a film- and you did- it's what YOU think is good. Not everyone will agree. Bashers think they could make the prequels better.

LOL

I seen that tried, with "The Phantom Edit" and well, rofl, it was so terrible. I didn't like it one bit. It messed with Jar Jar. Know what that means? It also messed with Episode II, thus ALSO, in the long run, messing up Episode III. So these people that thought they could make it "better" just totally screwed up the rest of the trilogy.

Bravo.

Lucas doesn't deserve bashing. You can disagree with what he does in the prequels, but that does NOT warrant bashing. It's what he thinks is good and goes well with the story. Some people like it, some people LOVE it, some people dislike it, some people HATE it. Like I said, you bashers and dissers of Lucas- if you made a movie, you'd get criticism. That's the way the world works.

So until you make a movie that is totally perfect and everyone agrees with,

Lay off Lucas' back.

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.