Get T-Shirts Made

Discussion in 'FanForce Activities' started by Lightsabre, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightsabre Fan Force Founder

VIP
    star 4
    Hey gang, those of you that are part of a line ought to think about having T-Shirts made. Contact a local vendor and see if they would donate the shirts if you allow them to put their logo,etc on the shirt. By keeping it simple, you'll have a better chance of getting them free. Put the name of your chapter and a link to fanforce.net and show the rest of the peeps in line who you are.
  2. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    Our club has had our shirts for the past year. Print By Night, where we had the shirts made, was nice enough to offer them at his cost if we allowed him to put his store logo on the sleeve.

The cost of the shirts, with the print, was 6.50 Canadian (or about $4.35 U.S.)/per shirt. We then charged $10.00 Canadian/per shirt and donated the proceeds to charity.

All three parties win.
    The storeowner gets his advertising.
    The charity benefits from receiving a cash donation.
    And your club has a means of promoting itself.

I think we've sold about 100 t-shirts over the past year.

You may be lucky enough to find a supplier to donate the shirts. If you do great, if you don't...you may need to eat some of the initial cost up front (in my case a few hundred bucks). But with a good product and some smart selling tactics you will be able to regain your loss in very little time.
  3. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Already on top of it, LS. Check out the Nashville forum. k kanon already has the designs for it and everything. I think we be pumped. :D
  4. MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY

star 5
    Anyone that has a Chapter T-shirt I want one, let me know how to get one :)
  5. Gold__Leader Jedi Youngling

The SSWS has a little store through cafepress.com where our members can go and order one of several different designs that our members create.

Though you can't have t-shirts there physically in line with you, it sure does avoid the "how many should we order and what sizes" dilemma. Plus here in Seattle we'll have an internet link at the line so people can order them here and have them delivered right too us.

Also, you don't have to handle the money and you make a percentage of the sales to which you can use to either give to a charity or help fund your event.

This may be a great way to do this. We've learned over the years that it really works for us and we love it. Enjoy all!

Official Force of the Northwest
    http://www.SeattleStarWars.com
    GoldLeader@SeattleStarWars.com

6. Doright Jedi Knight

star 5
    We are thinking of hooking up with the 501st in our area and going in costume. That said I wouldn't mind getting Tshirts for just general purposes. Are the rules from LFL about what you can use on the shirt? Can Say a Darth vader picture be a part of it?
  7. Darth_Yoda_ Jedi Youngling

Hey Guys, Is there anything wrong with putting starwars pcitures on it? Is there a trademark issue? As far as 20th Century fox and Lucas Arts?

-Thanks
    -Ben
  8. asax Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I couldn't say for certain about the policies of using SW characters, obviously I know that the answer would be "no" if the shirts were sold for any profit.

In NYC we had shirts made featuring our logo. We tried to make 'em nice, so it did cost a little bit - we charged $20, with (I believe) $8 of that going to the Starlight Children's Foundation. The thing is no Endor camaflouge though, it always seems to get noticed...
    [image=http://www.nyline.org/images/pic_002_lrg.gif]
  9. MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY

star 5
    I love my NYLine shirt. I wear it proudly. I cannot wait to wear it at SWC2.

It is also famous as it is on the TPM DVD for a split second. :D
  10. Darth_Yoda_ Jedi Youngling

Can any forum admins ask theforce.net people. They have shirts and they are in direct contact with LFL. Can we put things like Darth Vader, Anakin, Lightsabers on it?

I dont want LFL coming after me but I want to make a cool shirt.

Thanks
  11. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Chicago Force sold shirts at the EPI line and they were VERY successful. I HIGHLy recommendit to groups that are organized enough to do it. We got the shirts for about $4.oo a piece from a local vendor that was very cool, and we sold them for $12. (I think) All of our profits went to local charity, and we raised about $1,200.00 in the end. People loved them, especially after we told them we were selling them for charity. Not only do people in line like them as a momento, but they are great ?give-aways? to offer to theatre staff, police, restaurants, etc. Leftover shirts were also sold at a discount at later events. In terms of getting the shirts, a few of the founders fronted the cash and were reimbursed first when any funds came in.

For this time around, we are going to push for pre-orders via check, cash or paypal. The hope is that we will get enough in preorders to cover most of the up front costs. Even if it doesn?t, members of our jedi counsel (aka our Board of Directors; numbering 12) have all offered various amounts of ?loans? to cover the cost. Different systems will work for different groups; you will just have to find what works for you.

We are currently taking pre-orders, info can be found at the Chicago Fan Force boards. Remember folks, it?s all charity. :D The shirts will be black with our spiffy new logo on front and the phrase ?Your kind of scum? on the back. ;)

A word on the licensing issue. There are several factors to consider: How many will you make? Are you selling them for profit or any kind? What exactly are you putting on the shirt? Do you ever want to receive permission for any future shirts?

Below is an excerpt from a post I made in the CF forum on the same issue:

?..characters are the property of the creator, so Obi-Wan Kenobi, and any representation of him, is the property of LFL?.. Thus if you are creating an image (be it cartoon or Photoshop or silhouette or whatever) that is meant to be recognizable as a specific character, than you are using LFL intellectual property.

In reality, any image we put on a t-shirt will be designed to be recognized as a SW character, thus most likely it will be LFL property. We?re not going to put a pic of Hayden on our shirt just because we like his haircut. We would use it because he is playing a SW character.

The other thing to remember is that different groups have received permission from LFL to use images on shirts for charity projects. (www.StarWarsChicks.com). Personally, if we are going to use an image, I?d like to go all the way and use something that is fully recognizable, which would mean getting permission. Seeing as we do have the charity branch incorporated, I would hope that Georgie-boy would consent. A yoda with glasses would be uber-cool with the Yoda quote.

At this point, we are not looking to put any LFL images on the line-shirts, only our group logo and the winning quote. Also at this point I feel compelled to state here and now that Chicago Force is now way intends to infringe upon the intellectual property of LFL or George Lucas, and recognizes that all Star Wars characters and their portrayals are the sole property of LFL.

Further affiant sayith not.

~H~

If you are only making 5 shirts and just you and your buddies are going to wear them, than LFL will probably not take much notice of you. However, if you are selling 200 shirts for $15 bucks a piece and everyone is wearing them to Celebration with your group name under a clearly recognizable picture of yoda, then you are asking for trouble in my humble legal opinion. Unless, of course, you have 501(c)(3) charity status from the IRS, which is unlikely. But that would only make you more legitimate, not necessarily less culpable.

For our group, we are looking to get official permission down the road for our charity t-shirts, so we don?t want to ruffle any feathers at this point and are going a slightly cautious route. Other groups may have different thoughts and approaches, but that?s our plan for now.

And
  12. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    I love it when I kill a thread. Bumping this for the info that might be useful to others and to answer the question posted in the other t-shirt thread:

I would recommend you contact the PR person listed on the sw.com website (hit the link on the bottom of the page that says "Advertising Inquiries." The link goes to another site, but one of the people listed there should be able to tell you who to talk to.

~H~
  13. asax Jedi Youngling

star 1
    From [link=http://www.nyline.org]nyline.org[/link]:

The first NYLINE II shirts are now available!

For a limited time, from now until April 27th, the first day of the line up, an exclusive t-shirt is available for order. The front of the shirt features the image that will also be the NYLINE II badges - an appropriate Star Wars- themed parody of a New York City icon, the Metrocard. The back of the shirt reads 'NYLine II, April 27th - May 16, 2002, www.nyline.org'. You can get the shirt as a regular T, a baby doll T, or a long sleeve at $16.99, $19.99 and $21.99 respectively (all in a number of sizes). All of NYLine's profits from these shirts will go to the Starlight Children's Foundation.

This is not the 'official' NYLine II T-shirt, there will be other shirts available, but this shirt can only be ordered online and only until April 27th. And, if you won't be attending the line in New York, this will be your only chance to get a badge, so to speak!

(Note: the badge on the shirt DOES NOT COUNT as an actual badge.)

To view and order the shirt, go to [link=http://www.cafepress.com/badgeshirt]http://www.cafepress.com/badgeshirt[/link].
  14. Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Here is a few images from our Nashville After Darth T-shirts. :D

Front left lapel image:

[image=http://scottjohnstonart.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/scrapbook/NAD115.jpg]

T-shirt Back montage:

[image=http://scottjohnstonart.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/scrapbook/1NADbackSMALL.jpg]

We also put the 25th Anniversary coin image on the right sleeve and NASHVILLEFORCE.COM on the Left sleeve.

BTW, we only made a limited number of these with no profit factored in ;) CYA!!!
  15. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If there will be no profit on the shirts do we need copyright permission for SW characters/logos?
  16. Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm not going to tell you that you don't need Lucasfilm's permission, but chances are pretty good that you won't get it especially not before Episode II. Our T-shirts are for our FF chapter, while they are proliferated with copyrighted STAR WARS images, they are not being sold for profit, only for cost of materials, and are not being reproduced in mass quantities or sold on the internet, so I think we are pretty safe. The 501st got in trouble with theirs, because they were selling them on the net, in mass quantities for profit. The worst Lucasfilm did was tell them not to do it anymore by sending them a cease and desist letter. We aren't making any more of these other than the ones we have already, so it's kind of a mute point.
  17. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan

star 4
    So we'd probably be OK if we just made enough for our chapter and didn't sell them for a profit?
  18. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Probably is the key word here. It's just a function of how many, profit?, how outrageous, and how you are selling it. No-one can give you any guarantees, but you can always hedge your bets.

My understanding is that LFL has been fairly forgiving of fan clubs in the past, but as said above, it things get out of hand, they will take notice. Most likely you'll be fine.

~H~
  19. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.