main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Get to know eachother better (no victoria's secret)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by BigBroadcastah, Apr 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Anyone who would say that the 80's was a dark time for Star Wars is not a true fan, for the 80's is what brought us the second half of the Original Trilogy. It was the 80's that saw American culture accept Star Wars as main stream. Why do you think there are some 800 references in 80's movies that refer in some way to Star Wars. And I'm not even counting the Kevin Smith movies.

The 80's was not, nor should it ever be considered dark times. The 80's was a period of "Acceptance" in the Star Wars Universe.

Critics beware....

2. chewboxer

chewboxer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2002
    Furthermore...

Who are you to bash anything that George Lucas does on a STAR WARS MESSAGE BOARD !?!

I hope that there will be no more speaking out of one's buttocks on the message board.... chisdude....

3. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    Uh, I think the point was 1984-1990 were the dark years. Not '80 and '83. No new "Star Wars" anything (except for those Ewok TV movies). A couple of references in a few non-Star Wars movies here and there is nothing.

As for the Zahn books, they were OK. It's just that by 1991--the year the first one came out--the world was starving for new "Star Wars" anything and they gave us a temporary fix. The books were about as satisfying as a joint to a cocaine addict. Not quite "Star Wars," but a decent temporary buzz nonetheless. I still remember the first time I saw "Heir to the Empire" in Waldenbooks, and the thrill of cracking it open.

Anticipation is half the fun of "Star Wars."

4. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Definitely.

5. sithspawn35

sithspawn35 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    I was really dissappointed with "Heir to the Empire." It took me almost a whole year to get through the whole thing. Now "Dark Force Rising," That's a different story. Finished the whole thing in one day while in the beach. (Talk about a BAD sunburn!!) "Dark Force Rising", to me, WAS the return of STAR WARS.

6. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    Agreed, Sithspawn. I think that is how some will feel with "Episode I" and "II."

7. TD 88

TD 88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1998
    Best part of "Heir" was when Luke returned to Dagobah. But that was only a chapter or so. The comic adaptations were pretty good, though.

8. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    Ummm...not criticize ANYTHING that George Lucas has ever done because this is a Star Wars board? Can you say: "Howard the Duck"?

Chewboxer...lighten up, hon.

M.M.

9. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Howard the Duck rocked! ;) 8-}

10. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    I even have a friend who was an extra in Howard the Duck (when he was a kid)!!!

And, I liked the Ewok movies I don't care what anyone says. I hope that Lucas will put them on DVD someday! :)

Just be fortunate that Lucas has decided to do the prequels at all. He could have just left the Original Trilogy as it was with no back story. I'm just fortunate that he has decided to finish the Star Wars story. I only wish he'd done Episodes 7-9. But we cannot look the proverbial gift Bantha in the mouth!

11. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, I have no problem with Howard the Duck. It was pretty cheesy even for the 80's, but it wasn't like I was totally turned off of it. It was good for a few laughs and I would watch it again if it were to appear on HBO or Showtime. I liked the Ewok movies too Mutt. They were a sort of side story to Star Wars and the first Star Wars EU movie too, not counting the Holiday Special which was neither a movie nor was it watchable more than once! :D

12. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    Can I still introduce myself in this thread, or has the topic gone south? :p

Anyway, I'm from the Western Panhandle of Maryland at Deep Creek Lake about 3 hours west of Baltimore, 2 1/2 hours from PIttsburgh, and 1 hour from Morgantown, WV. Unfortunately, attending any events in Baltimore is near to impossible for me considering the distance. :(

13. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    It's never too late to introduce yourself. Welcome. Even though you can't make the meetings, you can still be a member by posting in this forum. Maybe one of the meetings will be closer to you.

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Deep Creek Lake, huh. What a beautiful area of the state. I've been there many times, including trips to La Vale, Cumberland, Frostburg, and Swallow Falls. Awesome to have you aboard.

15. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Just like Beggar's Canyon back home!!!

16. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    "Members let's reconsider."

My fellow Jedi, Pilots, Dark Lords, Bounty Hunters, Humans, Aliens, everyone... I take this moment to talk to you about distance. Distance can hurt, but not if we work to reduce it. It's been many times that I have given thought to the same question: How can we reduce distance?

I have come to a single conclusion: travel. And it's not so bad after all. To make issues short, I would like to know how we can try to change meeting places at least two or three times a year. Why? Simple, we have named ourselves as the OFFICIAL MARYLAND FAN SITE, Right? Well, don't they have a right to be part of this important and wonderful council. I know this requires time and some sacrifice, but it can be done.

"Do or do not. There is no try"

Every Maryland fan should have the opportunity to be part of the great adventures, meetings, and fun times that are share on the meetings.

No, I'm not creating a mutiny or a rebellion, is just an issue I would like to bring to the High Members of the Charm City Council. I think about my fellow members that can't travel great distances to redezvous with us.

"Luke, I'll meet you at the rendezvous point."

Dear Members of the Council, remember that your actions can affect many. But most important, they are decision done for the good of the Charm City Council Forum.

Thanks for the time in reading thie message.

May the Force be with you... always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    CHARM CITY COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

17. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Well Fipe, we try to get as centralized a location as we can for us members to meet and we have no fixed meeting spots. So if we need to move the meeting places around so that everybody is able to attend, then that's what we should do. I know I wouldn?t like it if I had to travel great distances to a meeting every time. So I'll see about bringing a map and we can all look at a spot where it is more centralized and maybe has good spots to do things, like malls, laser tag games, theaters, book stores, etc..

We usually talk about the next meeting place at the meetings anyway. For those that can't attend, just post a couple of places where you think would be a good spot to meet and I or Mogook can print em out and bring em to the meeting so that the members can decide as to where the next meeting will be.

Everyone who is a member should have input in the meetings even if they aren't able to attend. What would be really cool is if someone had a laptop and a dial-up connection and we could meet somewhere where we could log on and do the meeting online as well. Maybe do a conference in Netmeeting or use an Instant Messenger or build a chat room program for our group and put it on the web site.

Hey, there's an Idea. I know there used to be free chat room progs that let you use for your website. I will look more into that. Mogook, do you or anyone else know of any chat room programs we could put on the site?

18. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Tell you what! I have a laptop with modem and dial up connection. And I have Net-Zero Account, which has many connection numbers around. Yeah, I know is not the best...but is the best I can offer. Probably we can arrange and have a session in a chat room while we conduct the meeting. But warning... is a slow machine (200MHZ) but reliable as it could be. Is really good. So, if you come across some INFO on that probably we can get in touch through the NET. But, where do we connect? A phone line from a house a restaurant? That would be just the trick.

Any ideas, anyone?

Yes, no?

May the Force be with you... always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    CHARM CITY COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I used to go with Net Zero, too.

20. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I use to use NetZero as well.

Fipe, I completely agree with you. The idea of this fanforce is to support all the fans. Not just the ones near one place. I think the laptop could be a great idea.

DRK_HLMT, when I had my Star Wars site a couple years back, I spent hours, maybe days, looking for the best free chat program. Some are pretty good. But, we can use the one on the Yahoo Group that Motterman set up. I went in there once to see how it was, it looked pretty good.

21. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    Is there a site for the maryland fan force? Just curious, as an artist.

Yes, it is beautiful up here, but very remote. I was just at Swallow Falls in February [as it is 10 minutes from my house]. It's beautiful as well in the winter time when the falls freeze. Another beautiful place here to visit it Cranesville Swamp [it's not actually swampy..it's right over the West Virginia State line. I was there this past winter and took a hike. I live about 15 minutes from the highest point in Maryland--it's gorgeous to stand atop Backbone Mtn. and see the surrounding valley, especially in the fall. Tourists flock here because of the ski resort and the lake.

I'm originally from downstate in Montgomery County...grew up in Germantown/Montgomery Village area. I try to get down there maybe once a year [because I am a mall addict] and when i want to see a good art show or symphony performance.

22. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    This site's address is in my signature.

http://www.marylandforce.net

23. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Hey sareah, welcome aboard, I live kinda near you, I live in Martinsburg, WV.

24. Luke_Starkiller

Luke_Starkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey...free chat rooms are available from www.beseen.com. Quick registration, and they send you the code/link.

25. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I remember them. I'll check them out. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.