main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get To Know Your LACWAC Community! (Fun Facts Inside!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    User Name & Origin: Wanted something that sounded like a "real name" but wasn't (really mine, that is!).

Age: um, must I? :eek: For the non-math-challenged, I graduated high school the year we left Vietnam.

Status: Same as when I was born. Single. No, I am not that crazy woman with cats - I have ONE cat. He's (unfortunately) the only male in my life - and he's both neutered and non-human.

Astrological Sign: Aries

Job/School: Licensed insurance agent. (Ducks)

Favorite Food(s): Does it have cheese? Dark chocolate? Make you fat?

Favorite Drink: Pina Coladas or Diaquiris - but have them very rarely

Favorite Non-Alcoholic Drink: The doctor said to cut down on coffee.

Favorite Music: Easy listening, orchestral, 60's folk music... I'm pretty fond of most genres

Recent Stuff I've liked: Josh Groban, Sarah Brightman

Favorite (non-SW) Films: Moulin Rouge, non-foul-mouthed comedies

Favorite OT Film: Must I choose?

Favorite PT Film: Revenge of the Sith

Favorite TCW Episode: no particular one, but every episode gets bonus points if Obi-Wan actually does something :D

Favorite TV series: None currently - watch Discovery & History channel stuff (The Universe, etc)

All Time Favorite Game: [face_talk_hand] games, I play no games.

Currently Reading: fan fic

Last Vacation: 2 week road trip to Arizona via Bryce, Zion & Grand Canyon with my mother for grandfather's 100th - 1 week of hiking in Oregon (Bend) in September.

Current Car: 2009 Subaru Forester (which I love, btw, replacing an also loved 99 Subaru Impreza Sport Outback)

Other hobbies: Hiking, photography, snowshoeing, x-c skiing, reading fan boards ;)

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Cool, my wife and I have gotten into cross-country skiing the last couple of winters. The 5/6 months of winter are much more bearable this way.

Hiking in general is great, particularly in Alberta. We did our first "real" backpacking trip up the Berg Lake Trail off the backside of Mount Robson this summer, I should try to dig up some of the incredible photos we got.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Do you go to Calgary Expo Garth?

4. LordMarduk

LordMarduk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2007
    User Name and Origin: LordMarduk (Marduk is a black metla band from Norway)

Astrological Sign: Libra

Job/School: Image scanner

Favorite Food: Fried Chicken

Favorite Drink: Pepsi

Favorite Music: Death Metal
    Recent Stuff I liked: Seinfeld

Favorite Non Star Wars Films: Rambo First blood, Terminator 1 and 2, The Predator, Used Cars

Favorite OT Film: Empire Strikes Back

Favorite CW Episode: Cargo of Doom

Currently Reading: Book 5 from Rogue Squadron
    Last Vacation: Have not had any

Current Car: Toyota and a nissan frontier

5. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Don't even know what this is. [face_blush]

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Been there, done that :p

We took the copter in to Berg Lake and backpacked out a few years ago (Seattle Mountaineer group).

With the photo committee of said group I've been to Lk O'Hara several times and Assinoboine as well - in fact I was there up on Little Nub when 9-11 took place. I also coptered in/out for a spring snowshoe/x-c trip there staying in the wood-stove heated cabins with a final night in the lodge.

I mainly shot film in those days, so my digi photos are mainly digicam photos on my website (so far) (see profile if you want to take a look).

I love LOVE LOVE [face_love] the Canadian Rockies and California Sierras (not to mention my own Washington Cascades).

[image=http://mtnlover.smugmug.com/photos/9244626_fiMZ8-S.jpg]

[image=http://mtnlover.smugmug.com/photos/9244654_m9UVL-S.jpg]

7. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    http://www.calgaryexpo.com

I came out two years ago and met Daniel Logan......and was too impatient to hang around and chat with Matthew Wood. Looking back I wish I would have waited the extra couple hours. Anywho, it a fun Con. Peter Mayhew and Ray Park have been there in the past few years as well.

8. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Never been to any kind of a convention.

So, helicoptering into base camp, eh? The lap of luxury! We hiked up from Robson. I thought I did quite well for my first extended hiking trip. Berg Lake was incredible, I kinda thought if it was more accessible, it could beat out Lake Louise.

I should dig up some of my photos - got one of me actually swimming with the icebergs in Berg Lake.

Did you do the Snowbird Pass? It was crazy to see this huge expanse of sheer snow/ice....got a feeling of what the Ice Age must have been like. [face_hypnotized]

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, yes, Snowbird. Went on my own, sat up there staring at the ice sheet all by my lonesome (others came/went) while I was there. Felt like I had been thrown thousands of years into the past. It was rather awesome and humbling. (Back in 65 or so, we went on snowcats over the Columbia Glacier - it had not receded as far as it has now, but it wasn't quite so awesome and humbling).

We were asleep at the half way camp when a HUGE rockfall or thunder clap just reverberated behind us. Scared me awake. That was fun.

10. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Just wondering.. why do we have two social/community threads up? Is it to seperate the 'normal' people from the quacks?8-}

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, I thought my first post kinda explained it.

The Social Thread tends to pop up once every blue moon for a few days, then fades to obscurity.

We had done a similar "get to know your community" thread in 3NS I think, with [borat]Great Success![/borat]

The social thread is really about anything, this thread is supposed to be for people to post some interesting stuff about themselves.

Like, I have an Autobot tattoo on my left bicep.

12. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Hey Garth, are you going through some identity crisis? You've been changing colours and icons every other day recently!

It's so hard to keep up with who you're supposed to be that I almost banned you the other day... ;)

13. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    User Name & Origin: Darth KreVass

crevasse |kr?'vas|
    noun
    a deep open crack, esp. one in a glacier.
    ? a breach in the embankment of a river or canal.
    ORIGIN early 19th cent.: from French, from Old French crevace (see crevice ).

Job/School: Print & Web Design/Front End Developer

Favorite (non-SW) Films:BraveHeart, 300, Gladiator, Italian Job, American Gangster, Gone in Sixty Seconds

Favorite TCW Episodes: Trespass, Rookies

Last Vacation: Princess Cruise

Current Car: Subaru Legacy

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I'm kinda known as an ADD guy, always changing my colours and icons at a moment's notice.

Right now, because there's approximately 7 billion Hallow'en icons, I'm trying to do one per day if I remember.

15. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Hmm, random fun facts.. Here's something, movies I haven't seen: The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Citizen Kane, Slumdog Millionaire, Two Towers and Return of the King (and I hardly remember Fellowship), The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, Kill Bill, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Dark Knight..

Lots of acclaimed stuff everyone else seems to have seen.

And hey, I got my second star.

16. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Me neither. What's up with that? People really dig going to them, but I've just never had a hankering for meeting celebs or getting autographs signed.

17. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Oh yay. I'm not the only one who hasn't been to conventions, no matter how delicious the material seems. XD

I suppose it's due to the knowledge that I'm really just gonna get the complete thing in the future eventually.

So instead, I dream up novels and visit a variety of wikis, including TVTropes. XD

18. ZEM

ZEM Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 3, 2009
    Wow, cool, you sound just like me! :D

I actually admin a bunch of wikis, and managed to get the Thomas the Tank Engine, Pigeons, Jurassic Park, Left Behind, Theodore Tugboat and Primeval Wikis featured by Wikia. :)

I had help of course! I put the most work in the Thomas the Tank Engine and Primeval Wikis.

19. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Heh, glad you think it's cool, though I admit I'm really more of a viewer than an editor. :p

20. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    User Name & Origin: JediBendu

For this reason, the Skywalker entrusted the secret of The Force only to his twelve children, and they in turn passed on the knowledge only to their children, who became known as the "Jedi Bendu of the Ashla": "the servants of the force". For thousands of years, they brought peace and justice to the galaxy.
    - from the second draft of The Star Wars script

Astrological Sign: Dantooine

Job/School: IT Consultant

Favorite Food(s): Thai, French

Favorite Drink: Mojito

Favorite Music: All-time: Powderfinger, Raconteurs, Hunters and Collectors, Bowie, Eurythmics, White Stripes, Nick Cave and the Bad seeds

Recent Stuff I've liked: Brendan Benson, Ting Tings, regina Spektor, Johnny Flynn

Favorite (non-SW) Films: Seven, Brick, Casablanca, Dodgeball

Favorite OT Film: Star Wars

Favorite TCW Episode: Trespass

Currently Reading: Tokyo Year Zero by David Peace, About to start Jordan and Sanderson's The Gathering Storm

Last Vacation: A week in Havana, Cuba

Current Car: Ford Ka

21. cwquest

cwquest Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    User Name & Origin: CWQuest (i used to promote mma (cagefighting) for a company in england called Cage Warriors & my particular sub promotion was called Cage warriors quest, because it focused on up and coming tallent)

Astrological Sign: Cancer

Job/School: i own a printing company called 1 click print (www.1clickprint.com) Day to day I do graphic design work here.

Favorite Food(s): Im a complete foodie, absolutely love cooking & eating the food i rank above all others is still egg on toast though.

Favorite Drink: red wine, brandy, irish whisky

Favorite Music: The Prodigy, rage against the machine, faith no more (generally 90's metal)

Recent Stuff I've liked: Prison break, batman arkham asylum, halo ODST

Favorite (non-SW) Films: Aliens, starship troopers

Favorite TCW Episode: trespass or hostage crisis can't decide between the two

Currently Reading: The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Just finished Iain M. Banks' Matter.

Last Vacation: a week in corsica with the missus & friends, fantastic place, good food, nice scenery.

Current Car: 2008 mercedes slk 55 AMG brum!

general info:

Since being 3 years old i have lived and breathed star wars, when i was at school i was also a big fan of warhammer tabletop games and when they released the star wars micro machines figures back in 97 i set about making a star wars version of my favourite game (warhammer 40k) I have been working on it building scenery, customising & collecting ever since then (coming up 13 years) and a fair few thousand pounds later im about half way there. i have a website for my game here www.galactic-conflict.co.uk where you can check out my micro machine customs of some clone wars inspired stuff (commando droids, arc troopers etc.). We have an entire room in our house dedicated to my star wars stuff but my wife to be is very understanding about it all. I suppose thats why she's my wife to be [face_clown]

22. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    cwquest - did you just cut and paste my current readings, or are you actually reading the same books as me? [face_worried]

23. cwquest

cwquest Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    oops :)

im currently reading: Republic Commando order 66

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    More and more I just feel like I'm on completely the wrong forum here.

And to think that I just spent a whole weekend chatting with Alex Milne and watching him draw Transformers Garth;).

Conventions are about so much more than the celebrities. Gaming, Video Gaming, Retail(Dealer) areas, Costume Contests, Writing Workshops, Animation Workshops, Customizing Classes, Photo Oppurtunities and a lot more. Mostly its about gathering together with other people who have similar interests and just really having a great time.

All you who have never got a hankering check out these pics http://www.cccomiccon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=502 and then if you still don't feel like going, well there's nothing I can do for you then:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.