main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Get to know your NR members - Week One

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BobaChris12, Mar 16, 2014.

1. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    We've grown to the size where our (in)famous 17 questions would require a full day long meeting to get through. Each week a new question will be posted with the chance for everyone to respond.

Week One's Question:

What is your favorite Star Wars memory?

2. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    Great idea Chris!! Thanks!!

Favorite memory? That is difficult….
    I remember bursting with excitement at the release of ROJ in 1983- it was South Texas and the box office was outside, We had to stand in line in the South Texas heat for what felt like an eternity for the first showing on the first day!! But perhaps my favorite of that run is when my uncle took my brother and I to Mexico (we lived in South Texas and his house was walking distance from the border). We went to see Return of the Jedi at a movie theater for the 6th time (total, not 6th time seeing it in Mexico) they had the volume turned down so low you could barely hear the dialogue although there were spanish subtitles. My brother and I could already read and understand spanish at that time. For my brother and I who were STAR WARS obsessed, it was like a Mystery Science Theater episode. We had a blast!!! I was 11, and he was 9, almost the same ages as my boys now and funny thing, I can see them doing the same thing!! We went back to Mexico to watch it at least one more time, but not many more because my uncle was too embarrassed. By the end of the run, we saw ROTJ in the theaters 12 TIMES!!!

3. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I've got a bunch too! But, my most recent was May 21, 2005. It would the last movie shown at the Buffalo Drive-In on Harlem Road: Revenge of the Sith. I was dressed as Darth Vader for a birthday party and was now driving a van load of kids, sans helmet, to see that night's show. Before I turned into the driveway, the kids insisted I don the helmet; who was I to argue with 8-year-olds (the target audience). The result? Other drivers waved me past them. The ticket booth staff waved the admission fees for my entire van, filled with kids. And, when I got out of the van, one kid yelled, "there he is!" And then a hoard of lightsaber wielding children charged my van. I spent the next 90 minutes dueling every kid one-on-one as one kid elected to be my apprentice and organize the dueling line. I wouldn't have such a rewarding Star Wars experience until SWN12.

4. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I have so many, memories when I was a kid. But I think my favorite Star Wars moment was back in 2006. It was around 2am and I was up with Aiden (1.5 at the time) and he wouldn't go to sleep and he was sooo crabby. Nothing seemed to calm him. I decided to watch tv. But instead of watching the TeleTubbies for the 1,000th time I put on A New Hope. I sat Aiden in his little chair and when he saw the star destroyer come across the screen, he stopped fussing and was mesmerized. He was hooked and wanted to watch it over and over again. I had to cycle him through all the movies, with each one bringing new questions. To be able to share the films and the lessons that go with him are the moments I will always cherish.

5. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    I will share my first encounter with the NR at the Bisons game in 2010. A family from our daycare told me about the event and I really had no idea what to expect. Our son Aiden was 5 years old. We walked in and were completely blown away. Man you guys were no joke. Aiden was mesmerized and completely star struck. We waited in line for a light saber and found our seats. Aiden quickly got board with the ball game. So I took him out and walked the halls and took as many pictures with characters as we could. Aiden got Obi Wan's autograph. I'm not sure if he was NR or 501, but I was taken with how much time he spent with Aiden and their conversation. And then go see him doing the same with other kids. Aiden wasn't ready to go back and watch the game, so we walked to the end of the hall and he just swung his light saber around and spun and was in his own little world. That is a little memory a mom holds in her heart to see her little boy so happy. Ok, I'm getting teary eyed just typing this. What an amazing evening, building lasting memories. That first year was just us. Every year since then we have brought 20+ friends. Thank you for your time and sacrifice to make something magical.

6. LadySith22

LadySith22 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I know I could come up with a huge list of great memories associated with Star Wars (plenty of them include most of you ). But by far the best was seeing episode II and feeling Xander turn somersaults every time General Grievous spoke! And not just the first time we sat through the movie!

7. Spice Smuggler

Spice Smuggler Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Thank you for sharing these stories, I love reading them. I have so many favorite SW memories. Going to the midnight showing of Phantom Menace was great because I had waited so long for more SW on the big screen. Sure the movie has it's faults, but that night I only saw a cool new Jedi, the Jedi order, Darth Maul and epic lightsaber battles. Best of all I had a great night with my friends driving to the theater and back.
    Recently it has been my pleasure to get to know the NR. I've had so many great memories over this past year. Meeting the NR for the first time, a baseball stadium full of waving lightsabers, building my costume and collaborating with expert craftsmen (all of you) on how to make my costume better, and attending events with a group that always makes it count. It was amazing to see so many people who weren't SW fans come together to make The Empire Strikes for Bucks happen this past January. Not only did they have fun creating stuff, but they had fun interacting with NR characters. I have heard so many amazing stories from families that attended the event. Some kids who had never seen SW fans are now demanding SW movies and toys (true story). Kids with autism that have trouble connecting with most people (including family) felt comfortable and happy around NR characters. Some day I should write down all of the stories that people shared from the event. For me that's what SW was always about, sharing an emotional connection over stories and characters that you feel passionately about.

Darth Erebus and Wild Sidewalker like this.
  8. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Mine is still the one I have posted in my profile on the North Ridge web site....So if interested go check it out along the way you can check out our web site :p

9. Dark Lord Jedi

Dark Lord Jedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2013
    My favorite Star Wars memory is going to Celebration III. It was the first one I ever attended and was in awe of everything going on. I was amazed by the fan made costumes, movies, and all the shops selling merchandise. George Lucas was there and I was able to go see him. I met and talked with Steve Sansweet and saw Kenny Baker walk by 3 feet from me. It was an awesome experience.

10. MakanPyralis

MakanPyralis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    No surprise what my answer is, star wars galaxies. I have yet to find a massive multiplayer online game that lives up to that game.
    I spent countless hours on endor slaying ewoks in hopes that by the time the empire got to the planet, there would be no ewoks to get in their way.

Darth Erebus and Doubleblade86 like this.
  11. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Star Wars has been such a big part of my life for so long, I can't pinpoint any one memory. I have so many that come to mind. I've been reading the EU for the last 20 years, playing the video games for the last 15, and I've been a part of online communities for the last 12. I've not only been a part of the Fan Force for 12 years, but for 10 of that I was a part of an online gaming and writing club. I never actually met any of the people in that club in real life, but I came to call them my good friends through it, even still. I've been a member of two separate Fan Force groups, and have come to find family from both of them. Star Wars has allowed me to make strong friendships with so many amazing people. I think that might be my favorite thing about SW; its ability to bring people with the same obsession, together.

Darth Erebus and Wild Sidewalker like this.
  12. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    Easily the Space battle in Return of the Jedi. That coupled with the music from the Luke vs Vader fight and my entire Star Wars love is personified.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  13. GrandAdmDraco

GrandAdmDraco Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2011
    Looking back, I have no one favorite memory. I first started getting into star wars in the early 90's. I read the thrawn trilogy and I was hooked! I would have to say, probably my favorite memories were the epic battles my cousins, brother and I used to have with the figures and ewok village and the rancor and all the different toys. How we used to abuse them... *sighs* stupid stupid kid Bill. Toys are to be looked at, safe in their mint packaging, not to be played with! Oh how silly I was as a kid! =oP

14. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    When I was a kid my friend Stan and I would gather all the nick snacks and odd little pieces we could find and build our own star wars weapons. I remember building boushh's staff and designing my own lightsaber. Both of which I know are still intact and floating around at my grandmas house. Aside from that we would use spray paint and model paints to give realistic movie-esaue paint jobs to our toys star wars blasers. Whoever thought to make the han solo blaster toy bright orange I'm sue had a Lt of angry kids and nerds at them! But after our props were made we would take them band run off into the woods to go on adventures!

Other than that I am going to say all the time I spend with my north ridge family. You are all so amazing and I am thankful everyday that you are all part of my life and liams life.

15. Slee The Sloth

Slee The Sloth Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2013
    Like most of you I have so many Star Wars memories. But Every time I hear the opening them, I feel shivers run down my spine. Then I'm thrown back to the seen when the star destroyer goes over your head and then when R2 and c3po make their way down the hall while storm troopers where blasting away. OOO I'm 8 years old again and full of wonder and excitement. I left that theater dreaming of having my own droid and O how cool that would be..............

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  16. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    I'd say mine is still watching Marty duel during a performance of the Buffalo Philharmonic! For a close second, standing alone in front of 18,000 fans at the ballpark and having my call for help answered by all my Jedi friends.

17. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    I had my 7th birthday party at the former Ground Round in Niagara Falls. I received my first lightsaber as a gift - the old black plastic flashlights with the white tube blade that illuminated green. I'm sure this answers many

Lee Solara likes this.
  18. BobbyFromBUF

BobbyFromBUF Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 23, 2013
    Honestly, my favorite Star Wars memories are associated with the North Ridge. Bowling with everyone, pool party, and the zoo. I know I haven't been around much lately, but I think about you guys all the time :)

I recently broke a bone in my foot while coaching, so I am out of work on Short Term Disability. While I am off, I have been working hard to make some real progress on my Stormtrooper costume. Can't wait to finish, and make some more events this summer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Lee Solara and Wild Sidewalker like this.
  19. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
  20. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    My favorite Star Wars memories are made every time I suit up with my North Ridge/Star Wars family...