main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Richmond,VA Get together to talk Star Wars

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ibrahim, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibrahim

ibrahim Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2002
    I know it's been tried a few times and the Richmond FanForce has even recently been called a Black Hole :eek: but I'm keen to have a chance to hang out, swap stories and toys and even show off cool star wars stuff. I was talking to my friend today and he was telling me how he just got this cool pristine vintage Star Wars lunch box and I was the only person he knew that would appreciate it - I suddenly thought of this spot on the Star Wars map and told him about it - maybe an awakening can happen for the Comonwealth Cantina (it's a great name!)

I'm not a regular here so I'll introduce myself, my name is Luke and I live with my wife and daughter in the west end of Richmond (suburbia!!) I collect all kinds of different Star Wars stuff, do some costumes and props - I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I'm not that into the expanded universe but enough of my buddies are that I respect it and know more than I should about it :)

As long as the local CR is cool with it [face_thinking] I figured we could try to have a meet up at a central Richmond place like a cheap restaurant (with refills) like Pizza or mexican or maybe a bookshop or a coffee shop. I doubt there will be that many people coming so anywhere should be fine. I can be free most weekends or week nights and right now a week night would work best for me to start with. If there is any interest at all I'll set a time and date in the next week and if we get even a couple of us there that's a start, hopefully this could be a regular thing. I'll bring my Star Wars item that Harrison Ford gave me that GL himself gave to Harrison Ford - Seriously!!

What's the thinking here? [face_batting]

2. amaunet

amaunet Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Nice to see you back on the boards, Luke...

As far as a meeting is concerned, it would be nice to get everyone together for drinks/coffee/food. Just make sure that it is somewhere central to the majority who are attending and that it is done on a day that the most people can attend....But that kinda should have gone without saying :)

Since it was your suggestion, I will let you run with it (as far as suggestions for locations and dates), Just let me know if you need my help with anything.

3. ibrahim

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm not sure where everybody that might want to go is but for sure making it central makes loads of sense. I was just assuming close to the city. My thinking was to set a time and place and maybe try a few different times, days and places in the future to give people the chance to go or find a time and place that works. If I'm the only one there :( no big deal but maybe eventually we can meet up together as a group :) At least if there is always a meet up planned then people might find they can go. There will always be someone that can't go or will have a reason they can't but hopefully everyone will eventually sort out what can work for the group. What do you think amaunet?

4. StrangeWings

StrangeWings Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    I will do all in my power to attend.

5. ardvarkboy

ardvarkboy Jedi Knight

Apr 1, 2006
    Hello everyone. I am kinda new to checking out this board too.. but this sounds like a cool idea. I am also in the West End... but anywhere else would be alright too if everybody wants to get together.

6. DERTHH_MAWLZ

DERTHH_MAWLZ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2005
    I think we need to set a date, a time, a place, give people a week or so to make plans, and communicate through email (I know I don't check the boards often enough) to realistically set this up. Once the core team is communicated with through email and details are finalized, we can post the details and if anyone else reading the boards wants to show up all the better.

My email is JoeRichmondVA@aol.com to get us started.

Just my thoughts...

Joe

7. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    any suggestions on time, date and (centralized) location?

8. StrangeWings

Jun 10, 2005
    SO is this DOA?

9. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    Looks like things have gone quite (dead) again....but I think perhaps giving it another week before we pronounce it ;)

10. ibrahim

Nov 5, 2002
    Sorry for the lull on my part, I've been out of town and off board. First I was in Denver for StarFest which was a blast and the Denver Rocky Mountain FanForce was in full force - most were dressed as Tuskens this year! After that I was at the beach so no internet :( I did get together with some local Star Wars fans at Penny Lane pub in downtown Richmond mid April and we played Star wars trivial pursuit for awesome prizes and watched the original Hardware Wars and all the vintage Kenner commercials too. We couldn't hear a thing over the general din but it was a blast anyway. It was a send off for one of my buddies (moved to Denver) or I would have invited everyone here. I know it's best to keep get togethers out of the pub and in all ages places but it really did charge me up to revive the idea. Anyone else still want to get together?

Parameters for a setting - central, cheap, all ages... Is there a bookstore like Borders or Barnes and Noble with a cafe we could all meet at? Anyone have a public meeting place at an apartment building or familiar with a meeting place at a library? If a pub is a popular choice we can do that too.

Can someone PM me? I'm not sure the boards are emailing me correctly, thanks.

11. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    Its not just your abasence...it seems that there is a general lack of interest.

But....

That said, I think with regards to the "first" re-activation get-together, we should keep the following places in mind:

1) bookstores -- nice, public, generally long hours (early and late) and inexpensive (though volume may be an issue)
    2) coffee shops -- again nice and public with generally good hours though they can be pricy
    3) Mall Food Court -- public, decent hours range though if during a normal meal time--things can be LOUD and hard to find enough seating

I think that with regards to the pub, we should stay away from them unless we are planning an activity before or after. As you stated, it can be VERY hard to hear people and if the purpose is to "get to know people" that would be unrealistic. Also, it would eliminate people under age or who have issues with alcohol (underage, personal dislike, etc.)

12. ibrahim

Nov 5, 2002
    Alright. I like the idea of the bookshop/coffee shop, there are Barnes and Nobles all over the area too. Do they have free wireless too? That would be a bonus. Most of the coffee shops I know are too small I think, of course if only a couple people show up it would be perfect. Interest is limited I know but I know there must be people off this board who are eager to have Star Wars get togethers too so we might as well start. We have as many as the five here that have expressed interest. We can't not organise something just because not everyone can make it or that it might be small, nothing would ever come together.

When's a good time? I'll try to be flexible, evenings after 7pm would be best for me - any day of the week... We have two of us here in the West End, anyone else that's interested - where about in the Richmond area are you?

13. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, BN would be a good place. all have wifi

--though it annoys me to no end to think that i am going to take time out of my life to get together with people of similar interests only to find that 1/4 of the group is surfing the net while we are chatting....just a pet peeve of mine---

As for locations, we do have a thread around here that lists where everyone is... I am south of the river, I know we had someone from powhatan, and mechanicsville at one time. I initially thought what about Stony Point--they have a BN with limited seating and they have outdoor seating if there are no seats inside. As for time: I am best with weekends, though on Saturday I will have to work around the RPG. Mornings or evenings would be best --that way its not right in the middle of the day and i can still get the errands run. :)

14. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    Hi all. StrangeWings gave me a nudge to come over here from my cubby hole on the net. I am in Chesterfield, been in to Star Wars since I was a kid. Saw the movie back in the opening weekend when it was just called Star Wars. I do a little lightsaber building and have been known to throw on the Jedi gear every now and then for parties and such.

15. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    Welcome aboard!! Always nice to have more people who share our passion (re: obsession) for the Star Wars Universe :)

16. StrangeWings

Jun 10, 2005
    Soooo...are we getting together or not?

17. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    I am working on the date right now, looks like July 15th or 22nd.

18. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    really?? that is the first i have heard of a date being discussed...Looking around, I see no discussion with the group on the date. We NEED to remember to ASK EVERYONE before picking dates.

the 15th is no for me as I will be at a Convention for work at VA Beach that weekend.

As for getting together, I would love to do something soon with everyone. I know that right now I have RPG on the 20th and nothing until my parents come down sometime in June (date unknown but will keep updated).

How does everyone look for the next month? What day would work best to get togther for coffee/drinks and a chat (say about 1-2 hours)?

19. StrangeWings

Jun 10, 2005
    As long as it is either a Fri night or weekend I should be able to make it.

20. Tetmatek

Tetmatek Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    [image=[​IMG]]Just give me some dates as i am around most all the time and live in Chesterfield as well. So far i have met with in person Strangewings and Derth Mawlz. the thre of us are serious about getting somthing underway. I'ts funny with all the SW forums i'm on we have a large concentration of fans in this area. With that being said Let's have some fun SW style!!! [face_dancing]

[

21. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    Wow...Its amazing to me just how many people are intermitently interested in doing something, yet when asked for dates and location suggestions--they can provide none.

What we NEED is people telling us WHEN (not anytime) they can do things and WHAT they would like to do (and where they would like to meet).

Once we get this information, we can go from there. I have made NUMEROUS suggestions and am about 2 posts away from making the call. With the influx of "parents needing to bring kids along" I am starting to believe that meeting up at a park (where there are play areas for the kiddies to have something to do) would be the best bet.

22. Tetmatek

Tetmatek Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    How about Pocahontas State park? There's a place

23. DERTHH_MAWLZ

Aug 5, 2005
    Pocahontas State Park is a great place. Rockwood park might be good too, and maybe a little more centrally located, easy to get to from Courthouse rd, 288 and Chippenham.

24. amaunet

Mar 7, 2002
    Rockwood is a good place. We used to have the MFC picnic there.

Do we want to look into reserving a shelter, or just showing up and winging it?

25. DERTHH_MAWLZ

Aug 5, 2005
    Is there any cost to reserving a shelter? Maybe we should tailgate it and everyone can have their wares in their trunk. I do want hot dogs though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.