main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Gettin' sick of car thieves...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Darth_Myles, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Myles

Darth_Myles Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    My girlfriend's sister's car was stolen out of her driveway at 5510 W. Beck Lane, last night between the hours of 1am - 6am this morning. Here is a description of the car.

1994 Red Acura Integra LS
    AZ License Plate: G8J-978
    Euro style (clear head & tail lights
    Red spoiler on the rear of the car

It was reported stolen with Glendale PD this nmorning. Can you guys just keep an eye out and let me know if you see anything please call the police immediately and then call me. :D My cell phone number is 623-229-7708, and my e-mail address is myles77@cox.net. Thanks guys... Alison is just devastated that her Charlene is in the hands of some grubby car thieves. Being the kind of car that it is, it's probably in 50 different pieces by now... :eek:

2. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    This is getting ridiculous.

Isn't there a device you can put on a car that would electrocute someone trying to hotwire it?

3. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    Actually, I just learned thet Lo-Jack is now/soon-to-be incorporated with the Sprint network.

So Lo-Jack won't have to build their own towers anymore.
    They can piggyback on Sprint's towers.

Edit: not awake in morning. Mistypes corrected

4. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Another Integra...that sucks man, hopefully things will turn out for her like they did for me.

5. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    Well...I could devise a way to have a couple of capacitors sitting in the trunk on a constant charge from the battery and then hook them to the body of the car...

:D

6. arizonasithlord

arizonasithlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    but you then run into the legallity issue of booby-traps.....which are highly illeagal and be caught with such a device in you home of vehicle is well, Bad

7. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    There are always those pesky little laws to deal with... :D

8. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Meh! Frell the law. Don't we have a right to defend our personal property???

9. turbo72577

turbo72577 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    We do have the right to protect our property but not at the expence of hurting someone. That runs under the assault category I think.

10. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Heh - I like the thought of lethal deterrence - see the beginning of Robocop 2 -

"And it won't even run down your car's battery"

[face_devil]

11. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm so sorry, Myles! :( :( I'll be praying that this turns out alright. Having my posessions stolen is one of the worst invasions of privacy I've ever experienced, and so darn FRUSTRATING. I can't imagine a whole car being taken. I'm so sorry. :confused:

12. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    We do have the right to protect our property but not at the expence of hurting someone. That runs under the assault category I think.

I'm not sure it does. If someone enters your house and comes out you violently and you hurt them (OK, I don't know if I running along the edge of TOS so read between the lines), isn't that considered justified?

If you're car is on your property and someone is trying to steal it, I think you have a right to defend that property.

My thoughts come from a comment made to me years ago about thieves in England stealing hood ornaments off cars and people running electric currents through the hood ornaments so that if someone touched them, they got a shocked.

Who would have expected nice ol' Jada to think such violent thoughts [face_devil]

13. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    Who would have expected nice ol' Jada to think such violent thoughts

Other than me???

hee hee hee!!

14. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    I'm always forgetting the difference between assuault and battery...but I think it is thus:

Assualt: Someone threatens you with harm, the threat can be verbal or can be done with the presence of a weapon.

Battery: Someone physically harms you.

Is that right?

Anyway, to illustrate a point, we often have men in our jail who are there because they thought it was ok to defend themselves/family in a deadly manner. Most of these men never killed the person who was attacking, they simply wounded them. For instance, one man walked into his home after work to find a man beating his wife. The man ran to the garage to find his shotgun came back and shot the man. The attacker lived and pressed charges, the man defending his wife was sent to jail. As horrible as this seems it seems to back up an old saying I heard in Texas once...

"If you're gonna shoot, shoot to kill, then he ain't gonna talk."

Not that I condone killing anyone necessarily, but it is amazing how quickly an attacker can become a victim.

15. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    I was thinking...

We have enough creative, smart & technical wizards here in the PFF...

Let's all brainstorm & try to come up with a car-booby trap like device thats cheap, thief deterring & non-harmful that they won't have an excuse to sue us.

I think we can do it.

16. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Badger and a tranquilizer gun...

Before you get out of the car...smack the badger..
    Before you get into the car...shoot him with the tranq.

I am partial to the electrifying shock therapy...or what Moe has...

Put a speaker, preferable a Bogen high def speaker in the car, if anything other than the key attempts to start the vehicle...a woman screaming 'FIRE' at 140 DB should do the trick...

Or just do what I do...drive a piece of crap that nobody wants!

17. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    My Viper brand car alarm has several additional theft-deterrent features:
    1. The standard alarm has a starter kill (most alarms have this), that disables the vehicles starter when armed, and also if it's set off.
    2. It also has an active memory state. This means that if the thief cuts the battery cable, then reconnects it, the alarm will "remember" that it was going off, and continue to sound.
    3. It has a battery backed up siren. If the thief cuts power to the alarm, this additional siren will continue sounding until shut off with the special key on my keychain. It will continue to sound even if all wires are cut and it is completely removed from the vehicle.
    4. As Sistine mentioned, I also have a 140 decibel piezo horn siren inside the car, so anyone who is inside when the car alarm goes off will be VERY unhappy. (BTW, pain and hearing damage can occur at volumes greater than 130 decibels)

These are just a few thoughts when it comes to car alarms. Things like The Club don't work well, since the steering wheel is easy to cut through. They can make a device as strong as they want, but it's only as good as the weakest link, you know? I've seen one on TV that appears pretty good, because it immobilizes the brake pedal. That seems to be a better way to go, if you want something like that.

Also keep in mind that the location the vehicle is parked helps theft deterrence, but only so far. My car was broken into a while back in my parent's driveway, and several of our neigbors' cars in theirs. Also, we have the case of Ronin's Integra, which we all know was stolen from a movie theater parking lot.

I hope some of this helps. BTW, if anyone is interested, my alarm ran about $450, including all that listed above, and the option that lets me operate the power windows by remote. Lojack runs in the neighborhood of $600-$700, installed.

18. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    Assualt: Someone threatens you with harm, the threat can be verbal or can be done with the presence of a weapon.

Battery: Someone physically harms you.

Actually, it's the exact opposite - battery can be verbal - assault is the physical act of touching someone else against their will.

19. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE...

The car has been found!!! They stole her stereo and her school books. Other than that, the car was undamaged..

20. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Myles, great news!

And this has been a great discussion.

I like Bunny's idea.

21. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    Sorry to hear about that...

NEver had a car stolen but had plenty of stereo equipment and tires stolen

Booby traps sound like a good idea. a wired hooked to a shotgun comes to mind or activate tear gas/pepper spray to come through the AC. It should be quick though so they dont crash yor car.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.