main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Getting a Job in Scotland ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Shara, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Ok this isn't exactly what it seems. Well sort of. Ok so I'm looking into seeing how possible it would be for me to work during my stay in Edinburgh for the 2-4 month period I plan for next year. Nothing fancy or professional, I'd be happy with a bookstore, restaurant, cafe, whatever. So I'm wondering, how hard would it be for an American to get a job like that? Not looking for a lot of pay, just to pay for food and travel expenses while I'm there. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm curious whether or not I should bring my bike (mountain manual one, not a motorcycle). I'm thinking of bringing it over to solve some transportation issues around town and maybe when I go our to the Hebrides and such.

Thanks all!

2. Sebulba_Sloan

Sebulba_Sloan RSA Alumni star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 2002
    You mean there's employment in Scotland? :eek:

3. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Indeed. Especially if you are trained in the ways of the deep fat fryer. :p

4. Sebulba_Sloan

Sebulba_Sloan RSA Alumni star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 2002
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm... deep fried Mars bar topped with beer-battered Haggis... mmmmmmm... heart disease... gggggggguuuuurgle...

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    In Edinburgh is super easy for a foreigner to get work. I had friends from Oz come and stay and work in Edinburgh for 6 months. They worked in a hotel, and got to stay there for free, but they had to pay for food (althought they got meals when working).

When are you going ?

During the summer its even easier because of the tourist trade, and the fact that many jobs are held by students, who go home for the summer.

As far as taking your bike with you, I don't think I'd recommend it. Scotland is a large country remember, and you'd have to be a very experienced rider to cope with the nasty hills and mountains we have.

However, public transport is very cheap and highly reliable. If you're still 24 you'll qualify for a young persons railcard, which means you could travel unlimited around scotlands rail system (which is pretty extensive) for a small amount of money.

There are loads of hostels in Edinburgh which will let you stay for a small amount of cash (as long as you don't mind spending the night in a room with 5 other girls).

Try here for more info.

Hope that helps

Malcolm

6. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    Everything Malkie said.
    Edinburgh has more foreign students behind its bars than it has natives. You should have nae bother finding something.

If you want to register your availability through one of the temping agencies, I could do that for you in advance ? but it might be just as easy to check the job ads when you get here.

I would say, though, that your bike might be quite good for transport around Edinburgh itself.
    Edinburgh council have been clamping down on motorised traffic ? one way systems, closed roads etc, so the circumstances are getting better for cyclists ............. so long as you can manage a few hills.

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    true, in Edinburgh a bike can be handy for getting around (beware of the psycho bus drivers though). Although there are not that many places you want to go outwith walking distance of central Edinburgh.

Your best bet (as Danky suggests) is to get here then look for work in the local ads papers. You'll have no problem find work. There are like 100 bars/hotels around Princess street that are always looking for people. I'm actually surprised when I walk into a bar in Edinburgh and I'm served by someone who is scottish.

8. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Wow thanks for all the tips. I don't know exactly when I'll be coming over. I'm preferring Winter-Spring of 2005 due to personal preferences, but I might come over in the early fall for a few weeks to check things out etc.

As for places to stay in Edinburgh, I have no problem at all for that. Helps that a friend of the family lives there. Unfortunately, we are 3 weeks away from my 25th birthday, so no student rail pass for me ;)

I might be able to handle some hills. It's decently hilly around here, but I'm sure nothing compared to over there. I actually got into a heated argument with my bf last night that there are, indeed, mountains in Scotland.

9. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    How can someone not know that there's mountains in Scotland?

Hasn't he ever seen Highlander?

Central Scotland's not too bad although it's still damn hilly. It's the North you got to worry about.

You should go snowboarding up in Aviemore if you get here in Winter time. 'Tis truly a fun place.

Although in a normal year the weather's wintery all year round anyway. Speaking of which, THE RAIN'S BACK!! I have sunstroke so I'm very happy.

10. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah yeah I know. Now granted they aren't mountains like over here or on the continent, but they are mountains. I don't know how to snowboard myself, but I do ski.

11. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    You must learn the ways of the snow-bo. Your error will then be clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.