main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Getting a tattoo with Aurebesh, but...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by tekkamansoul, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm a bit confused about the secondary letters. Most of the transliterations you see on the internet have "May the force be with you" written with one English letter representing the same English letter in Aurebesh - that is, with t-h being trill-herf and not thesh, etc. Cherek, enth and the rest are never used.

Whoever came up with Aurebesh is obviously not a linguist, because I can't seem to find a pronunciation guide for the letters anywhere, and trying to discern their pronunciations from their names is impossible, and there's no way to tell when 'ae' is not 'e', or when 'ch' is not 't-c-h', and so on.

Why use enth instead of esk? Why nen instead of nern? Why krenth and not cresh or krill? Are those letters just there for languages that have those optional vowel and consonant sounds? Why just those and not others? (Obviously nitpicking here.)

The reason I ask is because I want my tattoo to be perfect if its gonna be on my body for the rest of my life. If the extra letters exist in aurebesh, why not use them? I've googled pronunciations and done all the research I could but I can't come up with anything. I was hoping someone on the greatest star wars community on the net would know more about Aurebesh than I would.

Maybe there are examples in official material that use the extra letters that I can't find? Help me out!

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    We do not discuss Star Wars in the JCC, apparently. But I'm not entirely sure what forum this fits best in.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Star Wars Community, probably, though this will be the best forum to whine in (and get made fun of) when you end up regretting the tattoo.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is going to be like when people ask for something profound to be tattooed on their backs in Chinese... nine times out of ten, they end up with "chicken fried rice."

BigAl6ft6 and Adrian the Cool like this.
  5. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    you're tattoo will probably end up saying "egg drop soup" in a totally made up language.

but on the plus side, egg drop soup is awesome as hell.

Darth Somnambulous likes this.
  6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What's the question?

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, this should probably be moved to SWC.

It might help if you also share what it is you want the tattoo to say. It's kind of hard for anyone to advise you on what combination letters to use otherwise.

I actually do know Aurebesh, but I used to a lot better. My friends and I would use it when we wanted to pass notes to each other in school that we could make sure teachers would never be able to read if they caught us (as they sometimes did). For super secrecy, it's best to write notes in French but using the Aurebesh alphabet :-B

Anyway, say what words you're not sure about and someone who has more recent experience might be able to help you over in SWC. In my recollection, the combination letters seemed pretty self-explanatory (ch, th especially seem obvious)... but maybe there's more I'm forgetting.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Star Wars has only gotten better with each iteration so getting a Star Wars tattoo will continue to be cool

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Which is probably why you shouldn't use a fake language.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes, I am now moving this thread.

11. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    if your not sure, then just put "may the force be with out" word in a different language but has a cute character. or else just put the exact word. [face_peace]

12. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Sorry for posting in the wrong section.
    I want it to say "May the force be with you", sorry again, I thought that was obvious. It's going to be written in a circle surrounding the jedi symbol with other details inside.
    Basically, I'm asking if "the" is correctly written with t-h being trill-herf and not thesh, and what the pronunciations of the vowel sounds are. If enth is "ay", and not /ae/ or "eh", then it should read mern-enth-yirt instead of mern-aurek-yirt.
    Thanks to anyone that can help.
    Cute.

13. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    LOL if you think most people who visit SWC has any clue about this sort of thing your sadly mistaken,

not to blow my own trumpet, but I've known the history of this forum since 2004 and know a lot of what people will know,

the most people know in this forum is some obscure random EU character for the ABC thread :p

14. shia the hutt

shia the hutt Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2014
  15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Holy resurrected thread batman!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Bazinga'd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.