Getting a tattoo with Aurebesh, but...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by tekkamansoul, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkamansoul Jedi Knight

I'm a bit confused about the secondary letters. Most of the transliterations you see on the internet have "May the force be with you" written with one English letter representing the same English letter in Aurebesh - that is, with t-h being trill-herf and not thesh, etc. Cherek, enth and the rest are never used.

Whoever came up with Aurebesh is obviously not a linguist, because I can't seem to find a pronunciation guide for the letters anywhere, and trying to discern their pronunciations from their names is impossible, and there's no way to tell when 'ae' is not 'e', or when 'ch' is not 't-c-h', and so on.

Why use enth instead of esk? Why nen instead of nern? Why krenth and not cresh or krill? Are those letters just there for languages that have those optional vowel and consonant sounds? Why just those and not others? (Obviously nitpicking here.)

The reason I ask is because I want my tattoo to be perfect if its gonna be on my body for the rest of my life. If the extra letters exist in aurebesh, why not use them? I've googled pronunciations and done all the research I could but I can't come up with anything. I was hoping someone on the greatest star wars community on the net would know more about Aurebesh than I would.

Maybe there are examples in official material that use the extra letters that I can't find? Help me out!
  2. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    We do not discuss Star Wars in the JCC, apparently. But I'm not entirely sure what forum this fits best in.
  3. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Star Wars Community, probably, though this will be the best forum to whine in (and get made fun of) when you end up regretting the tattoo.
  4. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    This is going to be like when people ask for something profound to be tattooed on their backs in Chinese... nine times out of ten, they end up with "chicken fried rice."
    BigAl6ft6 and Adrian the Cool like this.
  5. hudzu Chosen One

star 6
    you're tattoo will probably end up saying "egg drop soup" in a totally made up language.

but on the plus side, egg drop soup is awesome as hell.
    Darth Somnambulous likes this.
  6. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    What's the question?
  7. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, this should probably be moved to SWC.

It might help if you also share what it is you want the tattoo to say. It's kind of hard for anyone to advise you on what combination letters to use otherwise.

I actually do know Aurebesh, but I used to a lot better. My friends and I would use it when we wanted to pass notes to each other in school that we could make sure teachers would never be able to read if they caught us (as they sometimes did). For super secrecy, it's best to write notes in French but using the Aurebesh alphabet :-B

Anyway, say what words you're not sure about and someone who has more recent experience might be able to help you over in SWC. In my recollection, the combination letters seemed pretty self-explanatory (ch, th especially seem obvious)... but maybe there's more I'm forgetting.
    Last edited by solojones, Nov 14, 2012
  8. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Star Wars has only gotten better with each iteration so getting a Star Wars tattoo will continue to be cool
  9. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Which is probably why you shouldn't use a fake language.
  10. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Yes, I am now moving this thread.
  11. xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

if your not sure, then just put "may the force be with out" word in a different language but has a cute character. or else just put the exact word. [face_peace]
  12. tekkamansoul Jedi Knight

Sorry for posting in the wrong section.
    I want it to say "May the force be with you", sorry again, I thought that was obvious. It's going to be written in a circle surrounding the jedi symbol with other details inside.
    Basically, I'm asking if "the" is correctly written with t-h being trill-herf and not thesh, and what the pronunciations of the vowel sounds are. If enth is "ay", and not /ae/ or "eh", then it should read mern-enth-yirt instead of mern-aurek-yirt.
    Thanks to anyone that can help.
    Cute.
  13. TheMadHatter Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    LOL if you think most people who visit SWC has any clue about this sort of thing your sadly mistaken,

not to blow my own trumpet, but I've known the history of this forum since 2004 and know a lot of what people will know,

the most people know in this forum is some obscure random EU character for the ABC thread :p
  14. shia the hutt Jedi Youngling

15. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    Holy resurrected thread batman!

[IMG]

[IMG]
    BigAl6ft6 and Bazinga'd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.