main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Getting back into PC gaming.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Mustafar_66, Mar 5, 2015.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Windows 8 isn't too catastrophic. I've just got Ubuntu though which I'm trying on an old laptop to see what it's like before I consider the leap of dual running operating systems.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't really get the hate for it....I've had Windows 8.1 for almost a year and haven't had any problems with it. If it's the Start Menu that bugs everyone then you can just download Classic Shell (or one of many other similar programs) and boom it looks like Windows 7 again. And yes, I get it that it's stupid that you would have to download a third-party program in the first place to fix that but it literally only takes a few minutes of your time.

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    As someone who's been exclusively a Mac user the past five years, it's incredibly clunky and ugly. A bit more used to it now, but it's more tolerating than enjoying it.

The PC itself runs like a dream. Been playing a fair bit of Battlefield 4 and TOR. Even on max settings there's no stutter, lag or slowdown. Also just bought South Park The Stick of Truth in a Steam sale so looking forward to playing that. It's so nice to be able to take part in Steam Sales as well :D.

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Honestly, I myself don't understand the Windows 8 hate either. We have a PC with 7 and another with 8 and, admittedly, the 7 boots up faster and opens programs faster, but the 8 is still pretty neat. The Xbox-like tile interface is something of a novelty unless you have a touch screen, imo, but 8 does feature a traditional Windows desktop.

I have a Windows 8 phone and have had it for a couple years now. I absolutely love it and its features, which constantly outdo my wife's iPhones. The only advantage in her favor has been a much larger app market.

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Yes! Take advantage of those sales! They're lovely.

As a strategy and simulation gamer I would be remiss if I didn't recommend:
    Strategy:
    -Paradox Development Studio (PDS) games: Especially Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV, the two current main titles. They have a huge learning curve, but once you get into it they're amazing. Paradox does do a lot of DLC, but they also do a lot of free updates with new features as well. They also have great relations with their fan community and are extremely supportive of mods and LPs and other fan related works. Their games and updates are often buggy on release, though, so be careful about that. These games won't max out your graphics cards (they're mostly staring at maps and text), nor will they take up a lot of memory, but they do require some decent processing power because the game world and AI is extremely intricate and dynamic. More recent games require Steam.
    - Total War series by Creative Assembly (CA): This has some caveats. The Total War series is generally very good, but there have been some really buggy misfires (Empire: Total War and Total War: Rome 2, though both of these had several patches, and can be very playable and enjoyable). Older games like Rome 1 and Medieval 2 also still have good mod communities (unfortunately newer games are harder to mod, but there are good mods there as well), and Medieval II especially has some amazing mods. These games are a lot of fun for the sheer spectacle of the battles, but do also have a deep layer of strategy to them. They also have good mp communities. I highly recommend Medieval II, Napoleon, and Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai especially. Note: the games look great, but are memory hogs.
    - HD remakes of Ensemble Studios games Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology: These games were my childhood, and I can't recommend them enough. Good mod communities.
    - Civilization V (with expansions!): Very detailed and deep turn based game. It has some great mods, and a thriving community. I honestly haven't played this as much, but there's a good reason why everyone and their mother recommends it. Check out Civ IV as well while you're at it.
    - Company of Heroes: The World War II strategy game. Getting old now, but still well worth it. I haven't played the second one yet. Another good WWII series is the Men of War franchise and the Men of War: Assault Squad games.
    - XCOM: Enemy Unknown: One of the best turn based tactical games ever made, with expansion. Alien invasion sci-fi setting, with a high difficulty (and pain, as the soldiers you took time to customize and grow attached to are ambushed by Sectopods (I am not bitter)) and lots of depth. The expansion Enemy Within is also well worth it.
    - Homeworld Remake: Tentative as I haven't played it yet (or the old one), but it's gotten a fantastic response so far, and it's one of the most pedigreed strategy games in history.

Sim:
    - Banished: An awesome indie city sim from last year with a medieval setting. Set up your settlement and try to stave off starvation and neglect throughout the generations as you expand your town and try to become self-sustaining. Very hard in the early years, but very satisfying once you get farther in and have made something great. Has a good mod community adding lots of content.
    - Tropico: Play as a dictator (or "el presidente") in a small Caribbean island country, as you try to tax your citizens for all they're worth without falling to guerilla rebellions, and pick a side in the Cold War. 4 and 5 are both good starts for the series. I haven't played these too much, but they're a lot of fun nonetheless.
    - Game Dev Tycoon: This is a personal recommendation; I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. Play as a small company in your garage in the 80s and expand to a large company making AAA games on next gen consoles (or make your own console). Pretty much bare bones graphics and sound, but surprisingly addictive as you try to make lots of great games. Has a decent if small modding community.
    - Democracy 3- The premiere political simulator as you try to run one of several default nations (or one of many mod nations). Try to balance the budget, run the military, save the environment, curb unemployment, revoke all civil liberties, tax the poor, tax the rich, monitor everyone's movements, demolish separation of church and state, and give free health care for all. You can't please everybody, and you have to decide who to side with on each issue, because if you lose the next election it's game over. The only downside is it's somewhat lacking in (unmodded) foreign relations content. It has a great mod community.
    - Cities: Skylines: This is tentative as 1. it just came out and 2. I haven't played it yet, but from everything I've seen in LPs this has the potential to be the best city sim in years.
    - Pretty much any Sid Meier Tycoon game. Railroad and Roller Coaster Tycoons are favorites.

Other kinds of games:
    - Telltale's games: You've already heard of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us and Sam & Max. You should go get them now. And then play them. Now. Also Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People if you like Homestar Runner, and Poker Night at the Inventory if you like poker/ridiculous character interactions.
    - Long Live the Queen: Visual novel about a princess trying to survive the year before her coronation. Heavy on political intrigue, noble plots, pretty costumes, stat building, commoner rebellions, and ESPECIALLY ways to die. Do NOT eat the chocolates (you will ultimately fail at this and eat the chocolates). Lots of endings and branching paths, and a well-realized world.
    - The Stanley Parable: It's essentially "Meta: The Game". Brilliant comedy. The narrator is one of the best characters I've seen in any game in several years. And it has the most amazing broom closet ever. You need to check out the broom closet ASAP.
    - To the Moon: A visual novel with some adventure components, and one of the most touching stories I've experienced in any medium. Great characters, dialogue, and score, and deep themes about what's really important in life and why. Honestly, if you were to only get one game I'm mentioning, this might be it, my 1,000+ hours on EUIV notwithstanding.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.