Getting into Country Music

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Nagai, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Any opinion that touts The Eagles while decrying everything else, save Cash, as being soulless is lol.

This is the correct answer.
  2. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Bob Wells is the ****ing ****

and you can never go wrong with Willie Nelson

I actually do like some of the popppy stuff, but it's a genre that has several genres.

It's also a majour influence on the start of rockabilly, so while I can understand why it's kryptonite to some people's musical tastes, it does deserve respect in general.
  3. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
  4. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Carrie Underwood promotes violence in her music so I would go with her.
  5. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
  6. Nagai Jedi Youngling

star 3
  7. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Because making fun of country is the new making fun of rap.

Anyway, it's like a lot of music genres - you have to find a niche you enjoy listening to and explore it. And if you have to force it, don't even bother.

For example, I like what's (stupidly) called outlaw country, stuff like Charlie Daniels, Waylon Jennings, and of course Willie ****ing Nelson. But there's also more traditional "Nashville sound" stuff that's best described as very, very polished, Alt-Country which is... I dunno, alt, and then whatever the hell it is they peddle on the country stations these days - it's probably got a name, I call it "unlistenable."

And of course, the must-listen regardless of subgenre, as noted by the fact that even Lee likes him, is Johnny Cash.
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    There's an amazing 4-part BBC series on Country Music that I would highly recommend, The Lost Highway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/02_february/06/lost_highway.shtml

If you can find this on DVD or somewhere less legally sound, it will give you a great appreciation for certain artists and is a great springboard for musical discovery.

9. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I like Hank Williams the Third, Rockabilly rules!! :D

Also, the Gourds are fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCAM3C3dpIA

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Why, oh why, would anyone want to get into country music? To me, it is the musical equivalent of someone scratching their nails on a blackboard.

I quit listening to country/western shortly after "Delta Dawn" came out. Don't listen to the radio much anymore, either, as a lot of soft rock is beginning to sound a little bit like country. I get music thru my TV via my cable company.

It has a channel or two devoted to country music, tho. I usually listen to rock or pop.

11. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love both of those covers, but Dylan's the man.

Country's been sort of growing on me recently. I like listening to Cash now and then. I occasionally listen to Rascal Flats.
  12. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Your best bet is to either peruse youtube or listen to the radio to figure out who you like. As others have pointed out country is pretty broad now (Texas, old, new, etc) and all have different sounds and different fan bases.

Diamond Rio is one of my all-time favorites. Toby Keith puts out what I consider fun country songs. They tend to be goofy though some of his older stuff is more serious. I'd put Brad Paisley in that same category. Roger Creager is my favorite Texas Country guy.

I also like a lot of the female singers: Chely Wright, Martina McBride, LeAnn Rimes, Carrie Underwood.

If you're a guitar person Brad Paisley and Keith Urban are two to listen to.

The radio station out here does new music Tuesdays and they play four new songs sometimes debuting new artists so I enjoy finding new people to listen to from there. Plus my friend works in the industry and if someone really good comes out she usually lets me know.
  13. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Of course the Carter Family is considered the Abraham of country music so you can check that out as well.
  14. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    The Felice Brothers are also worth checking out.
  15. Shannon Darklighter Force Ghost

star 1
    KHYI 95.3 The Range plays some amazing music. I have found a lot of great music there. Plenty of 'Red Dirt'.
  16. Nagai Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
  17. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Krristin Chenowith.....
    What Would Dolly Do?