main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Getting our group seen

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by geekgirl76, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    O.k. I thought I could throw together some flyers or something and post them around town, the munchkin is out of town so I have the time this week :) What I need are ideas on where to post them and maybe some volunteers to put some up. Any ideas on what extra info should be included would be good too.

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I replied to your email... :)

What have you got so far for ideas for the flyers?

I would think the most important things would be the website URL (check your email :) ) as well as a quick rundown on what we are all about? Other than that, I don't know.

Some good places: (most already mentinoed)
    • Grant MacEwan

• U of A

• Nait

• Downtown Subway stations??? (not sure if they have places)

• Fringe Festival

• Downtown and Whyte Ave. Poles and bus stops

• Comic Stores

• Neighborhood Safeway/Save On/Superstore

• Theaters when we go see the movie

• Bargain Finder??? <--- not sure on this one, maybe they would let us put it under collecting? I dunno :)

• Malls

• Eskimo/Trappers/Oilers games???

• Compusmart

That is all I can think of right now...

May the Force be with you all,

Indy

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Maybe a bit premature, but once you become official and have a nice snazzy logo, may I suggest T-Shirts?

Young Jedi Niagara has them, and when we are together, and all wearing similar shirts, it certainly makes us stand out as a group.

Some of us also have hand-painted jean jackets.

In addition to flyers, you could try business cards. They don't have to be ultra-fancy, and you can use the business card paper to print off your own.

I use them all the time, strike up a convo with someone who might be a Star Wars fan (say while checking out the figures at Toys R Us), and simply pass them a card. It has our website addy on it, and that has a sign-up form on it. They may not sign up, but at least they become aware of us.

4. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    2 great ideas Woofer... I like the business card idea... :)

Indy

5. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
    Hey here's a thought. I'm part of a group now that instead of just calling themselves a fan force, they have created their own title in calling themselves the quad city Jedi Order. Not only is it original but the logo looks amazing when monogrammed in silver into a black polo shirt.
    You can actually wear them out and it's not only socially acceptable but it inspires the right kind of questions. Making mock posters is also a good idea. When I return to Edmonton I wouldn't mind setting that up. For instance you can make a deal with a monogramming outlet that no one is allowed to monogram your logo in SW script unless they drop the name of the Jedi Orders Leading member. Something to think about

6. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Well, just to keep everyone updated I?ve started to post stuff around town, if anyone sees a place that screams ?post a sign here? let me know. I really like the business card idea, especially accosting people at the toy store :D
    I think the bigger items like the t-shirts and stuff will have to wait a while,(like till we?re official), but people can start giving some thought to an Edmonton specific logo.

7. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I have to agree with Terry about waiting for T-Shirts and stuff until we are official...

As far as a name thing goes, we had a post about it, but not much came from it... from the looks of it we only have about 5 people who are actually coming here, so we might wait till we get a few more "constant" members until we try and finalize stuff like that.

As far as the logo goes, I have made a few like this one

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jadesempire/images/eff_logo1.gif]

But if other people have some ideas, they can whip em up, or I would be happy to put my Photoshop skills to good use if you want to give me some ideas... :)

Indy

8. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Gah I hate angelfire sometimes... LOL

[image=http://www.telusplanet.net/public/indigo15/eff_logo1.gif]

And I meant to ask you Terry, do you have a copy or picture of what you are posting, and maybe a list of the places you have posted stuff? Would love to see em... :)

Indy

9. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    This isn't for every chapter that forms but...

Talk to a local charity in your city and see if they would be willing to allow you to hold a charity event for them.

Our club was formed around doing charity work. We have raised almost $4000 in the past year and a half.

The charity helps advertise, local media loves local stories, and the charity benefits by receiving the cash.

We have been in countless newspapers here and we have even been interviewed on the radio.

10. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    If we could only get onto A-Channel.... They might just be crazy enough to put us on the air...

11. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    The logo looks cool but instead of the hub cap looking imperial symbol you may want to use the traditional Alliance insignia. I realize that in the prequels the hub cap still represents the republic but just like the swastika, something that once meant something good has been twisted to evil. Not to mention the fact that the other symbol is more recognizable and also representsthe New Republic and New Jedi Order as well.

12. General_Tekno

General_Tekno Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm all for using the Imperial hubcap! The efficiency of the Imperial Forces is legendary! The New Republic symbol represents indeciciveness, bureaucracy, inefficiency, corruption!

13. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I live to serve....

[image=http://www.telusplanet.net/public/indigo15/new-efflogo.jpg]
    CLICK ME!!!!!

How is this for a quick rendering? Combined both your ideas...

This is, of course, by no means a final pic, but I figured I would whip one up to see what you guys think...

AND I NEED SOME MORE IDEAS SO I CAN CREATE SOME MORE LOGOS!!!!

Let me know!

Indy

P.S. QCPsychoJedi, please head on over to the website and sign up!!! Then I can get you on the "Order of Battle" page, since you are on your way back to us! :)

14. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    What we need to try and do is to get some snow into our logo, to represent the North. Maybe somehow even incorporate a tauntaun or wampa into it....

15. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    Snow wampas and taun tauns might end up cluttering the symbol. Besides nothing represents the North stronger than that Maple leaf and I'm no fan of overkill. Remember the Jar Jar thing? I like the half and half idea, very original and incorporates the best of both worlds while creating a sort of optical illusion too.

Oh yes lets see just how efficient the Empire is shall we. They're so efficient that they were beaten by a bunch of rag tag ruffians that they outnumbered a thousand to one. Three count em three Star Destroyers couldn't even track down and capture one lousy falling apart Corellian cruiser with no hyperdrive.
    As if that weren't enough they were outsmarted countless times even with outside assistance and then one punk kid with a two week crash course in the force goes and takes down Vader and then gets him to kill his own boss. Yes I'm very impressed. lol just bugging you man. If there were no Empire there would be no story.
    Long live Star Wars and I hope George finds someone he can trust like Speilberg to take over and make 7 8 and 9 so all those piss poor writers from the EU can finally get what they deserve. Gwahahahaha.

And I will sign up on the website. If I can find it :p

16. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Could this logo be modified in any way that we could use?
    [image=http://www.pinusa.com/products/images/detail/126.jpg]

I found it at the PinUSA website where they have a whole bunch of Star Wars logos and pins...

17. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    oh I like that one!!!

very nice

18. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Which one YJN? :)

And I will fiddle with that one... give me a bit...

Indy

19. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Sorry bout the delay... had to get the baby back to bed... :)

Here is a quick rendering... once we get the actual name of our chapter, or agree on exactly what we want the logo to say, I will spend a good amount of time on it... :)

[image=http://www.telusplanet.net/public/indigo15/shieldlogo.jpg]

I hope there won't be any problems with copyright infringement... :eek:

Indy

20. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    I like it. It's basic, and simple. And it can probably be monogrammed in black and white....

21. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    ya the last one is great

22. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I just had another thought when I was watching "Everybody Loves Raymond"... I am gonna try to fiddle with the "lens flare" on the lightsaber and change it into a Maple Leaf instead of the diamond type shape.

We'll see how it goes... :)

Indy

23. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    As promised...

[image=http://www.telusplanet.net/public/indigo15/shieldlogomaple.jpg]

Now I have to go and uncramp my fingers... lots and lots and LOTS of little clicks to do it... LOL

Indy

24. General_Tekno

General_Tekno Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2001
    Nice logo.

25. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Now that is cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.