main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Getting Over It-- Completed 4/5!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by val solo, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Title: Getting Over It
    Author: val solo
    Genre: Romance/ Drama
    Rating: PG-13

This story does contain some spoilers for the NJO series of novels, so be aware. I was dissatisfied with the lack of 'Kyp-action' in Star by Star, so this is my take on what 'might have' happened directly after REBIRTH. Turn back now if you don't like the idea of Kyp and Jaina.... or read on and be converted!!! ;) Underneath he's just a guy who needs love, too!

Disclaimer: I, of course, own none of this and am certainly making no money on it. Ultimately, George has it all. ;)

NOTE: I know the number of posts on this thread may seem a bit intimidating, but please don't let that scare you away! In order to make this easier to read, below are the page numbers where actual story posts are located. All the rest are just pages where we were all having a good ol' time! :D

1-3, 5, 6, 11-13, 16, 25, 29, 31, 33, 34, 39-41, 47, 50, 52, 55, 57-62, 70, 72, 73, 77, 87, 98, 111, 121, 129, 137, 138

Extra note: I refuse any responsibility for the mental damage that may occur to the reader as he or she reads through this thread. It starts out fine but eventually starts to go downhill by about page nine or ten. Please direct all complaints to either Eldritch009 or Rev Leidu :D

Chapter 1----
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "What a jerk!" Jaina exclaimed for the hundredth time during her space flight to the Errant Venture. She couldn't wait to meet up with her family on board the old Dreadnaught. At least she could trust them not to lie to her. If she ever saw Kyp Durron again... well, she tried not to think dark, vengeful thoughts about the man, but couldn't help it.

"What a jerk!" she yelled again. Not only did he use her to convince Rogue Squadron to destroy the Vong worldship, but the idiot had the nerve to ask her to be his apprentice. His apprentice!! She snorted in disgust. Well, after their last meeting he should know her answer to that ridiculous request.

But what really stuck in her crawl was that she had actually --- if only for a brief moment--- considered the possibility, had even tried to imagine what it would be like to train with him and be around him constantly. He was a powerful Jedi, there was no doubt about that. She still remembered the story of how his mind had Force-thrown her Uncle Luke across a room when Kyp had first come to the academy. Add to that his leadership capabilities, which Jaina had witnessed firsthand over the past several days, and the eloquent speeches he had made about the "new" Jedi order and she had seriously been quite tempted to accept his offer.

Then there were his few words of flattery that had so easily put her in the palm of his hands. Was she really that naive? She had never thought herself so, but now she wasn't quite sure. Being an adult wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Things just weren't as cut and dry anymore. Her flight had given her lots of time to think, and she had reflected so much that she was just plain sick to death of thinking. She snickered at the idea that for just once she wished she were like Threepio and could simply shut down for a while.

It wasn't possible.

So her mind drifted back to Kyp Durron and how he had irrevocably changed her life whether she liked it or not. Despite her struggle against it, part of her was beginning to agree with Kyp's rightness in destroying the new Vong worldship. What she and the others knew about the Yuuzhan Vong probably wasn't even a scratch on their scaly surface. Perhaps Kyp was right in saying that the vessel would have proven more deadly than a superweapon in the long run. If it had reached completion, who knows what kind of destruction it might have birthed.

She had told Kyp that she didn't want to kill innocent Vong, but the more she thought about it, were any of them truly innocent? After all, they were out to completely take over the galaxy and the only purpose humans and others could have in a Vong-controlled universe was to be eit

2. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Chapter 2 ---
    The sight of the red Imperial Dreadnaught filled Kyp's cockpit and, even though he'd seen it before, it was still very odd and unsettling to see. Who would have thought all those years ago that a ship formerly owned by the Empire would become a haven for Jedi? Ironic...

... and it was also ironic that he found himself following Jaina here. She was going to kill him for this, or rather kill what would be left after the rest of her family got finished with him. He figured she had been too angry to think of looking for a tracer. He chuckled. It was the same tracer she had used to find him.

Kyp had hoped she would see his side of things once she found out the truth about the Vong super structure. It hadn't been a superweapon but a worldship meant to house and sustain thousands of Yuuzhan Vong civilians, if there were such things. None of the Vong he had come into contact with could be classified as 'civilized' in the least. However, she hadn't been quite so understanding.

No, despite Jaina's objections, though, he didn't feel a bit of remorse for the destruction of the worldship. On the other hand, for some unexplainable reason, he felt downright horrible about how he had treated Jaina. He had vowed to himself right after she had stormed out of the hangar following the strike that he would make it up to her some way... somehow.

She had been part of his plan all along. He knew she had the clout with Darklighter and Antilles to get him the force needed to eliminate the worldship. He had also planned on asking her to be his apprentice. The Force had been urging him to do so for the past several months since he had seen her fly Lando's Folly and beat his record time. She held such potential, and he knew he wanted to train her.

What he hadn't planned on, however, was being so attracted to her once he saw her again. When she stepped out of her X-wing at his ice station with her hair all tousled and her flight suit all rumpled, something inside of him just snapped. No longer was she just one of the Solo kids. She was now an amazing young woman and a force to be reckoned with in every sense of the word.

Over the years he hadn't spent much time on relationships. They were a hindrance to his duties. He didn't realize how enjoyable it would be to catch her off guard with a few compliments and watch her blush so innocently, however. It only made her all the more charming to him. Then there was the way she had stood up for him in front of Antilles. That had really done him in.... and that's when the guilt began to settle in, too. He wanted so badly to tell her the whole truth, but the situation had just been too fragile to risk rejection.

Now, she hated him. His cheek still stung with her slap whenever he thought about it, and her parting remark regarding him dying of thirst and her not even spitting on him made her feelings quite clear. Any sensible man would cut his losses and steer clear of her and her Jedi family. None of them liked him much to begin with, so he wasn't too worried about dealing with them. No, besides Jaina herself, he was most upset about how Han would react. Han had always been his friend and champion. What would Jaina's father have to say about this?

Yes... any sensible man. Only Kyp had never regarded himself as such a man and wasn't about to start. Even though she had tried to fight it, he had sensed her interest in him and wasn't going to give up so easily. No, she had kept her end of the bargain, and now it was his turn. He had agreed to meet with Master Skywalker, and he would do it. And there was also the matter of an apprenticeship to discuss.

Kyp Durron was not a coward. He was never one to care whether others liked him much or not. But he had this hang up about being forgiven, and whatever it took, Jaina Solo would forgive him.
    When Kyp docked inside the Venture, he took a deep breath before climbing out of his ship. He saw the 'welcoming committee' and tried t

3. Miss_Jaina

Miss_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    I really like this story. It's started off great! Please post more soon.

~Miss Jaina

4. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    This is wonderful, I cannot believe how I possibly could have missed it. Please continue Kyp's character is so very well displayed. I cannot wait to see what shall happen next, the Kyp and Jaina interaction you have going is timeless.

Bravo!

Am [face_love]

5. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Good stuff, good stuff! Keep it up!

6. sith_lady17

sith_lady17 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2001
    Wow!!! Wonderful story! Can't wait for more! :D

7. sith_lady17

Apr 22, 2001
  8. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Wow, Val, another great story! I can't wait to read more. :)

9. sith_lady17

Apr 22, 2001
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Up! ;)

10. Risste

Nov 26, 2001
    Great story, keep it up!

11. RangerArwen

RangerArwen Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    Wonderful! Someone else doesn't think Jag+Jaina is the only option available!

12. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    When reading Rebirth I suspected a little Kyp/Jaina romance for a little while, and while I think Kyp irritating, pompous, conceited, and all the other words Jaina's called him, the idea is pretty intriguing! LOL the story so far, val, you're doing a great job with it! :D It'll be interesting to see what happens!

13. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    I really like this, val! I've always had a soft spot for Kyp despite his behavior toward Jaina.

Looking forward to the next post!

14. Miss_Jaina

Nov 30, 2001
    Please post soon. Meanwhile UP!

~Miss Jaina

15. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks for all of your kind words! It's a great encouragement. :) Somewhat off topic, I have a question for you. What do you imagine Kyp to look or act like? I can't seem to get a definite handle on what I picture him to look like, but... I kind of imagine that he acts a little like Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Any takers? You know, good guy at heart who just wants everyone to think he's bad but not really. Does that even make any sense?

Anyhow, here's another post.

Chapter 3--
    Luke Skywalker, for the first time in quite a while, felt at peace in the Force. Since the miracle of his son's birth and Mara's recovery, he had renewed hope in the future of the Jedi order. Surveying the room full of Jedi before him filled him with pride and contentment. Why hadn't he seen this obvious path earlier?, he wondered for the hundredth time. For so long he had been fighting a losing battle, but now things were clicking into place. They would work together to defeat the Vong.

It had surprised Luke how easily Kyp had acquiesced to his new role. However, he knew the past month had changed them both and that now the timing was apparently just right. Luke wondered then about how Kyp was going to handle the 'other' part of his duties which immediately led him to think of his niece. She would be furious, he knew. She had too much of her parents in her not to blow up when he made his announcement. But the Force and his experience told him that it would be the best thing to do, not only for the both of them but for the entire Jedi order.

Jaina was already showing signs of a foul mood as she scowled at Kyp across the room. Her brothers were right by her side, ever her protectors. They hadn't learned yet that she really didn't need their protection. Luke stifled a laugh. Kyp was busy talking to a few of the other Jedi trainees and would every so often glance over at Jaina, offer her a sly grin, and then go right back to his conversation. That only served to infuriate her more, and Luke decided this meeting needed to start... right away.

"I'd like to begin, if I may," he announced and instantly all other voices ceased. Every eye was on him waiting to hear about the Master's great revelation.

He began much the same way he had with Kyp the day before, talking about the vain efforts on his part to unite the differing factions of the order. Then he moved to the seriousness of the Vong threat and onto the revelation gained by his son's birth and Mara's ordeal.

"So, the course we as Jedi should be prepared to take is clear. We must unite and work together to successfully defeat this foe that has invaded our galaxy. By combining our strengths we must act to save ourselves, our worlds, and drive them out."

After a brief moment of silence, loud cheers erupted even from the Solo front. Anakin was filled with inspiration and wasn't afraid to show it, letting out a loud whoop of support. He was like his father that way, Luke noted. Jacen and Jaina also applauded, but were more reserved about showing their agreement. Luke motioned for all to quiet down. He wasn't quite finished yet.

"You will each be given new duties... new missions to accomplish. I still feel it is important to find a safe world for us to base ourselves. Kam and Tionne have volunteered for that task. They will be taking the very young initiates there to further their training before they are needed on the front. Hopefully, if the rest of us do our jobs, they may never have to face the Vong.

"Many of you know the experience Anakin has had with the Vong and their 'shamed ones.' He also discovered that one of their own biological creations is similar to our light saber crystals and might help us sense them through the Force, which until now has been near impossible. He will work to get his hands on more of these crystals for our use. Han, Leia and Jacen will continue to work on creating a safe route for other Jedi to escape the clutches of the Vong or the Peace Brigade."

Luke went on to expl

16. Miss_Jaina

Nov 30, 2001
    That was wonderful! I loved it Val! Post mre as soon as you can. I can't wait to see what happens with Kyp and Jaina.

~Miss Jaina

17. sith_lady17

Apr 22, 2001
    Wonderful post Val!!! I want more please!!! :D

18. sith_lady17

Apr 22, 2001
  19. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I must agree with the majority of opinions. That post was wonderful, keep dishing them out the was you are and you'll have quiet a fan here ;) I concur with your analysis of Kyp, I think he's sort of like a Han Solo in his own right. Reckless, Arrogant, Daring and most of all I think, loyal. There's only one icon of Kyp, so I think he'd look like 'Ben/Alec' from Dark Angel, though that is just my assessment. I may be totally whacked out of my brains. Anyhow, I think him and Jaina are a perfect match. Also one thing that caught my eye was how protective Anakin and Jacen are of her, that's how I'd think they'd be in such a situation. I hope to see you constantly keep displaying that.

By the way, I read 'Not A Boy Anymore' on NOL, a while back. I was very impressed with it. I'm mainly a A/A shipper, are you still interested in them anymore. I've got a A/A trilogy out at the moment ;) Moving right along, I eagerly await the next post.

Am [face_love]

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Good grief, it's an NJO Kypfic and I like it. ::Shivers because hell just froze over.:: Anyone want ice cream?

21. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    Jaina and Kyp on a mission together? This should be interesting!

I'm really enjoying this! :D

22. Risste

Nov 26, 2001
    I'm hooked! More, please!

23. X-AverySolo

X-AverySolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    OMG!!! I've been wanting to write a jaina/Kyp story forever now but I could never seem to find the words to write it. this is so wonderful and just how I would want it. I need more now~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~ PLEASE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!More, yes. LOTS MORE POSTS!!!!!!WWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    You guys are so great! And I'm so pleased to see some 'maybe-converts'!!! :) Here's another little post for the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jaina was adding the final items to her travel bag when her mother came in and enveloped her in an embrace. Jaina stopped her packing and turned willingly to Leia. There had been too few hugs over the years, Leia thought, and she held her daughter in her arms for several long moments.

"Thanks, Mom. I needed that," Jaina smiled.

"Me too," added Leia. "So, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, I'm just about packed," she answered as she zipped up her bag.

"I don't mean is your 'stuff' ready. I mean are you ready?" Jaina patted her bag and glanced back to her mother.

"Ready as I'll ever be, I guess," the girl sighed. "I still don't understand Uncle Luke's reasoning, but somehow I know I should trust him. It is important to find the Jedi that are hiding and get them to safety."

"Yes, it is," Leia replied, "and Luke trusts you to get the job done." A moment of silence passed. "Are you scared?"

"Scared? Of going head first into danger? No more than usual," Jaina answered casually.

Leia chuckled as she pushed a stray strand of Jaina's brown hair out of her face. "What about Kyp?"

"What about him?" Jaina spat with a snort.

"Are you afraid of being with him after what happened? I wouldn't blame you if you were. It's frightening to have to depend on someone you don't really trust."

Jaina gazed at her mother and then smiled a small grin. "I'll be okay, Mom. I can take care of myself, anyway. It's not like I'll have to depend on him too much. Besides, I'm sure Dad will threaten Kyp with his life if he hurts me again. Dad's great that way."

Leia laughed again. "Yeah, he is pretty predictable, isn't he? I just worry about you. You are my little girl, whether you like it or not. Kyp has a lot of baggage. His life hasn't been easy. He lost his family when he was young, spent most of his youth on Kessel, then found out about his Jedi powers and did the whole 'dark side' thing."

"Are you defending him?" Jaina exclaimed. "I can't believe this!" Leia put her hand on Jaina's arm.

"No, no, I'm not defending him. It's just important to remember where people have come from. It helps you deal with them a bit better."

Jaina sighed deeply. "Is that some Jedi guideline?"

"No," Leia smiled. "I learned that in politics.... from Bail." Leia's eyes drifted away from her daughter as if suddenly bombarded with bittersweet memories. Then Jaina recalled her mother's past..... raised by adoptive parents, never truly knowing her own family, separated from her only brother until adulthood. Jaina reached out and pulled her mother back into an embrace.

"I'll be okay, Mom. I'll be okay."
    "Everything check out?"

Kyp closed the hatch underneath the ship he and Jaina would be flying and turned to face Han Solo. He tried to smile even though he knew what was coming.

"Yeah. I went over everything twice. We're set to go," Kyp replied as he wiped his hands on a cloth and tossed it away.

"Good..... good," the older man said studying the ship's hull even though Kyp knew he had other things on his mind. "You know, Kid," Han began, and Kyp stifled a grin at the nickname, "we've been through a lot together, you and me."

"That we have," Kyp agreed.

"And you know I've gone to bat for you when nobody else would have dared. I've always liked you, Kyp. You and me, we're a lot alike."

"I take that as a compliment, Han."

"Yeah, well, you might want to hold your judgment on that until you hear me out." Kyp looked up at Han, who was only a couple of inches taller than himself, but right now the man seemed like a giant.

"I don't really understand exactly what makes you tick, what fire burns inside you that pushes you to do the things you do. And let's face it, kid, you've done some pretty questionable things."

Kyp snorted and a small grin spread across his handsome face. Leave it to Han to be brutally hone

25. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kyp and Jaina, Kyp and Jaina, Kyp and Jaina!!!!!!!

Sorry for that minute of momentary static fuzz. Kyp and Jaina belong together. I'm glad someone besides me sees that. I've read the whole thing over on Fanfiction.com (a great place) and just wanted to let you know how much I love it. UP UP UP UP UP UP UP!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.