main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Getting rid of scan-lines...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Decapitated-Jango, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I currently filming a scene for my fanfilm with the actors looking at a computer monitor (it looks like a readout of a spacecraft cockpit). The problem is, those pesky scanlnes render the screen unreadable. I am using a Canon XL-1 and have heard that there is a setting on it that eliminates such scanlines.

In case you didn't know, scanlines produce the image you see on a monitor (tv or computer). The problem is that camera's lenses pick those up in a different way than our eyes do. Does anyone happen to know a solution to this or how to set a setting on an XL-1(as well as other cameras, if you know how) to fix this? Any help will be appreciated, and thanks in advance...

2. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    I can't tell you exactly how to get to it, but in the main Menu, if you go to Cam Setup, one of the options should be Clear Scan. That's what you're looking for.

3. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I've also heard of some camera having a mode called "Progressive Scan Playback" or "Progressive Scan Display," but I'm pretty sure; the XL-1 doesn't include that mode, but perhaps a "Clear Scan." Thanks for the input, Pahket. Perhaps this is a recurring problem for all of us, so the more solutions we have in here the better.

4. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    the XL-1 can shoot progressive i thought.

This sounds like a job for a time-base corrector. But they are pretty expensive.

5. Adobe_Wan_Kenobi

Adobe_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    Im not really sure, but maybe it is the frame rate. Maybe if you set the frame rate of the camera to the frame rate of the monitor, it might work. Probly wont, but its worth a try I guess. Or you could just get a flat panel :p. Flat panel monitors don't have scan lines on camera

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I always thought that if you played with the shutter speed, the scan-lines would be gone.

7. ucahg

ucahg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    I believe it's because you are shooting interlaced footage. That is, the camera takes 2 pictures of each frame at half the resolution, and combines them to form the frame. Looks great on standard (not high def) tvs, because they play video like this. However, on computer monitors, or HDTVs, etc., it's noticable.

8. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I always thought that if you played with the shutter speed, the scan-lines would be gone.

Bingo. Shutter speed can fix that. I have a Canon (not an XL-1, mind you) so maybe our menus are similar. First of all the camera cannot be in "auto" mode which is the mode with the green box next to it. Secondly, you have to go into the menu, select shutter speed, and I believe 1/60th will work. It does on my camera anyways. Actually I still have 1 tiny line moving slowly down the screen, but that's it. Hope that was helpful.

9. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Actually there's a frame mode option somewhere on the camera. Look in your manual.

10. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "I always thought that if you played with the shutter speed, the scan-lines would be gone."

Bingo. Shutter speed can fix that.

w00h00. I rock! :D

;) :p

11. Alcobra

Alcobra Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2002
    I believe you can also change the refresh rate of the monitor you are recording...sorry I don't know the setting you change it to, but I think the lower the better.

A.

12. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

yep, match your shudder speed to your monitor refresh rate and your all set to go.

13. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    that is correct, if the framerate is set to 1/60th then make sure yourmonitor is set on 60Hz, if it is set on like 75Hz you will still have scanlines.

14. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    yep, thats the best way to do it. Leave the cameras shutter alone, and change your monitor to something divisable by 30.

60, 90, 120hz should take care of any monitor scan lines.

Thank you Drive through. ;)

15. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Right, but if you have some of the more obscure refresh rates, the high end Canons can still deal with it. Change the mode to tV or manual, and activate clear scan from the camera options menu. It will let you select the monitor refresh rate and eliminates them.

16. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Remember, though, clearscan is available only on the XL1s and GL2.
    -Lokmer

17. Cammo_Man

Cammo_Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2003
    well, I dunno how much work ya wanna do, But if non e of that works, and you want a perfect looking monitor; you could just record a movie of your screen via a computer program (I forget which program does that) Then use after effects and put the movie of the monitor onto the monitor in the movie... get that? lol

-Josh

18. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

funny, but didn't uncle george use scan lines to get the original holo effect in a new hope?

Clearscan??

Is that some kind of hotkey to auto-eliminate the scan lines?

(i've got a GL1)

19. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    yeah i heard that the original hologram effect was done by pointing the camera at a tv screen with the actor on it. I think thats pretty cool, and I wonder if it would work with everyones' dv cameras. It would be much easier...although you have to go through putting it on a vhs tape etc etc.

20. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    I think Cammo-man has the best idea yet. Just turn the monitor on with a random image to light the actor's faces, etc. Then comp in whatever you want in post. This is how they did it in the AOTC library scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.