Amph Getting started with DC comics.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NJOfan215, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm mainly a marvel comics reader, but i've decided to pick up some DC stuff. I know superman and batman are the two main heroes in the dc universe, but besides that i know very little about it. I'm looking to pick books with good art, that aren't too involved any larger story, and that are available in trade. What do you guys recomend?
  2. whisperjedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Kingdom Come...nuff said.
  3. StarscreamPrime Jedi Master

star 4
    For good re-introduction stuff to what Superman and Batman are up to, these days, I'd recommend:

"Superman- Up, Up, and Away"
    "Batman- Detective"

For a brush up on the new Justice League line-up, "Tornado's Path" is a must read.

If you also want rather complete collections of the two big events that helped set what's going on in the universe, now, you have the double-shot of "Identity Crisis" and "Infinite Crisis". (Both collections provide some background material for what came before, should you feel overwhelmed.)
  4. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  5. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Infinite Crisis and 52 will probably be enough to introduce you to the universe. From there it depends on what characters you want to get into. Green Lantern can be taken care of with Rebirth and Geoff John's run, the GL Corps by Recharge and Green Lantern Corps trades, the Flash by Geoff Johns's, Batman by Face the Face and Morrisons run, Nightwing you can just start with Tomasi's run, Wonder Woman pick up the Rucka run and then the current Simone run, and JSA by Johns.

Also good are Birds of Prey, Teen Titans, Secret Six, and the lead ins to Infinite Crisis.
  6. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Basically you want to start simple. So we'll go simple. Don't read "Infinite Crisis". Not that it's a bad story, but it's a big DCU crossover. So wait on that for a while.

Superman.

-"Up, "Up & Away", "Back In Action", "Last Son" (forthcoming), "Camelot Falls", "Redemption", "Camelot Falls II" and "Superman & The Legion Of Super-Heroes" (forthcoming). Out of continuity you should read "Kingdom Come", "Secret Identity", "Red Son" and "Peace On Earth". Also, "All-Star Superman".

Batman.

-"Year One", "Batman & The Monster Men", "Batman & The Mad Monk", "The Long Halloween", "Dark Victory", "The Killing Joke", "A Death In The Family", "A Lonely Place Of Dying", "Face The Face", "Detective", "Death & The City" and "Grotesk".

Green Lantern.

-"Rebirth", "No Fear", "Revenge Of The Green Lanterns", "Wanted-Hal Jordan" and "The Sinestro Corps War".

Justice League of America.

-"Tornado Path" and "The Lightning Saga" will get you up to speed. "Identity Crisis" is more stand alone, but it'll give you a good view of various DCU characters. But read it after you've read the other stories.
  7. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks.

I will keep an eye out for those. I work at Barnes and Noble, i can barow hard cover books. I've also bought a few.

Here's what i've read so far.

Batman
    grotesk, Batman and son, False faces, The man who laughs.

Superman
    For Tomorrow, All Star Superman.

Green Lantern
    Sinestro Corp war

I'm picking up Batman Hush Tomorrow because i'm very impressed with Jim Lee. I'm going to be barowing the Killing joke on Friday. I'll probably read the two Dini batman trades over the next few days when i'm on break.

Overall my impression of the DC universe is that it's a bit more serious than the Marvel universe. I like what i've read so far. I need to read more before i make many more statements about the two universes. I've been really impressed by the artist that DC uses.
  8. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Most of the DCU stories that you've read are the ones that either came out of "Identity Crisis" in 2004 or were from the time period when comics began to go dark in the mid to late 80's and most of the 90's.
  9. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok,

I'm a few issues into hush now and i like it. I'm going to pick up the killing joke tomorrow, then on sat i'll probably start taking out some justice league stuff.

Do you know if the wonder woman book by piccoult was good? Her novels sell very well.
  10. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I don't read Wonder Woman, even though I like the character. But from what I saw from fans, it was not well recieved. So read it at your own risk. But once Gail Simone's first arc is collected, that I can recommend because Simone is well loved and very good at her job.
  11. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've heard good things about her.

I read the killing joke, i really liked it. It seemed to be a bit of an allegory for the cold war.
  12. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I finished tornado's path a few days ago. It was a good read. Benes's art is pretty good and Meltzer's was a lot of fun. I got a kick out of Hawk girl, and i really liked the fight between the JSA and the robot at the end of the story.
  13. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    To see more of Metzler, you can read "Identity Crisis". Now that you have a good idea of the team dynamics, you should read it next. Then do "The Lightning Saga".
  14. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I actually barowed lightning saga before i saw your post. I enjoyed it. I was little confused by the amount of characters in it, but i think i figured it out.

It seems that the big three had a fall out at some point. Is that what is coved in identity crisis?
  15. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    "Identity Crisis" sets these events in motion. After that you'd need "The OMAC Project" and "Superman: Sacrifice" which run concurrent to each other and is where their falling out truly begins. These events also tie into and then lead into the following stories. "JLA: Crisis Of Conscience" where we see Batman dealing directly with those involved in "Identity Crisis". "Villains United" deals with the villains who were involved in "Identity Crisis". These all lead into "Infinite Crisis". These stories are part of a major DCU crossover which has ties dating back to "JLA/JSA: Crisis On Multiple Earths" volumes 1-4 and "Crisis On Infinite Earths". So if you want to read those the order is as follows.

"Crisis On Multiple Earths" (optional)
    "Crisis On Infinite Earths"
    "Identity Crisis"
    "The OMAC Project"
    "Superman: Sacrifice"
    "JLA: Crisis Of Conscience"
    "Villains United"
    "Infinite Crisis", "Superman: Infinite Crisis" and "Infinite Crisis Companion". These stories all occur at the same time. The Superman one takes place during issue five, while the companion takes place during part six and leads directly into part seven.

There are others, but they're not nearly as essential. That's if you want to see the fallout of "Identity Crisis".
  16. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Damn that is a lot of stuff. Thanks for listing it all out like that. I would assume 52, ww3, countdown and final crisis follow infinite crisis? I'm not sure when i'll end up actually reading all of the main dcu events. I can barrow HC books from work, but the ones you listed in we only have in soft cover. I may end up picking them off one at a time, but for now i'm content reading the HC's we have and buying the occational tp of batman or superman.

I got Batman Arkham Assylum a few days back, i like what i've read of it so far. I also barrowed Batman lovers and madmen, but i haven't even looked at it yet.
  17. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, there is a lot when dealing with the Crisis franchise. "Crisis On Infinite Earths" was the first time DC had all of the characters that they owned, who were still alive, appear at one time in a series. Prior to that, the only team-ups occurred in the JLA and "All-Star Squadron" books. When "Infinite Crisis" was done, they produced five mini-series to lead into it and had all of the main books build up to it and then tie-in. For "Final Crisis", there's a lot smaller venue as DC has restructured how they're going to handle these types of crossovers, using "The Sinestro Corps War" as a template.

After "Infinite Crisis" we have "52", "World War III" and then all the books that are labeled One Year Later. After it, there have been a few mini-series and the launching of two monthly series. "52 Aftermath: The Battle For Bludhaven", "52 Aftermath: The Four Horsemen", "52 Aftermath: The Five Books Of Blood", "Black Adam: The Dark Age", "Booster Gold" and "Infinity Inc." which feature characters found in "52". "Identity Crisis" is definately needed to read "52", because one of the main characters has his story continue in the latter.

"Arkham Aslyum" is definately a good book to read. Very surreal and yet compelling at the same time.
  18. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah i really love Arkham.

Have you read Batman Gothic? I usualy don't go for older books since they don't look as good as the newer ones, but imight make an exception since i've loved all of the bat stuff by morrison that i've read.
  19. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I only read the first issue of "Gothic", so I can only speak for that part. From what I've read, it's just as surreal as "Arkham Asylum" and not too bad. It should be noted that the Legends Of The Dark Knight series were already using computer coloring before all other DC and Marvel books. It might not have been the first, but it was one of them. So in terms of coloring, it's pretty good all things considering. "Gothic" though was done as a black and white type story.
  20. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well i've done a bit of reading since i last posted.

Batman Lovers and Madmen: This is from batman confidential. It's an alternate joker origin story. It was entirely lack luster.

Batman and Superman volume 1: This was a nice fast paced action story that had a good compare and contrast of the two mains. I'm happy i read it.

Identity crisis: I was really happy with this book. It had a perfect balance of human and super human moments. It was well drawn and well written. Again i'm very happy with it.

Next up:
    Batman: Face to Face
    Batman resurection of ra's al ghoul.

I took a look at gothic and i decided to spend my money on something a bit more modern. Who knows, if i suddenly get more money i might pick it up just because it's morrison.

I also saw superman doomsday, it was a hell of a lot better than superman returns.

One thing that struck me when i was watching doomsday and reading supes/bats, is that the idea of kryptonite is really stupid. The krytonite astroid was weakening supes while it was still in space, how could his people live on a planet that contained large quantities of it?
  21. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Kryptonite was only irradiated when Krypton blew up.
  22. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok, now it makes sense.
  23. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    See, Kryptonians were an advanced race with all kinds of advanced technology. Unfortunately, in their efforts to control the planet, they unintentionally caused their own destruction. The core of the planet began to change and combined with a bomb that had been left in the planet's core during a series of wars centuries earlier, the core of Krypton became unstable. It began to turn into Green Kryptonite and was slowly but surely killing the populace, as it built towards a huge explosion. Jor-El discovered this and tried to convince the Science Council, but they refused to listen and called him a heritic. And even if they had, there was not enough time to build new starships to take them offworld. Their xenophobia had led to a ban on all interstellar space travel. Thus Jor-El and his brother Zor-El chose to do something about this. Jor-El was going to send his pregnant wife to Earth, but she went into premature labor and gave birth to Kal-El. Zor-El, meanwhile, sent his only daughter to watch over Kal-El and make sure that he was taken care of. Thus Kal and Kara were among the few survivors. All that is left of Krypton is an area filled with Kryptonite asteroids and the red sun.
  24. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Krypton's fate was actually sealed millennia earlier though. It was a proposal from Despair to Rao.
  25. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the explanation. Who is Kara, obviously we aren't talking about Starbuck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.