main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Getting There

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Today I took my first step towards training, phsically, to be a firefighter. For all firefighters,males, you have to run a mile and a half in 13 minutes and 46 seconds. Today in weight raining 3, I ran the mile and a half in 14 minutes and 2 seconds. Considering my last year's mile was 12 minutes and 46 seconds, I have improved greatly. I did better then I expected I would do and now I plan on running the mile and a half at least once a week.

Just for a quick run down, here is what firefighters, I think New York firefighters, have to do:

MALES: (20-29 years of age)

Sit and Reach: 16.0"
    Minute Sit-UP: 37
    Bench Press: 0.98
    1.5 mile run: 13.46 min

FEMALES: (20-29 years of age)

Sit and Reach: 18.8"
    Minute Sit-Up: 31
    Bench Press: 0.58
    1.5 mile run: 16.21 min

When I have more time, I'll get all ages. They range from 20-59 years of age.

2. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    to get your cardio up for running long distances, you ought to run about 3 times a week for a minimum of 20 minutes each time if your body can handle it. If it can't, do as close as you can and keep building up until it can. :)

3. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    yes as JD said you should run at least three times a day try to go a little farther then you "have "to pushing that little bit every time will help . you can also try mixing it up a bit by trying to run the distance you have to run a bit faster, as doing that will build up your speed. when I started working out I could barely hit the treadmill for 5 minutes within a few months I was on that thing for half an hour before working out and I would cool down for at least 10 minutes.anyways back to the subject the idea is to push past what you have to do at first and then after you can exceed that with no problems then you can push the speed issue.

4. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Thanks JediDragon and chunk_the_jawa. :)

I had the same plan and wanted to start it today, but football practice, homework, and cutting the grass prevented that. Although I won't be able to run everyday, school and football, I can run the mile and a half at least twice a week in my Weight Training and Conditioning 3 class, which meets on Wednesdays and Fridays, the Monday class is only 45 minutes long and I have to lift weights also that day. I plan on running up at my local park on Saturdays and Sundays, if I can. This Saturday coming up I won't be able to, football game, and becasue of work on Sundays, its gonna be tight. But, I will find out a way to get my running in.

I am gonna try to get an intenship with the Sherdan (sp?) Fire Dept., once I can get hold of the Fire Chief up there. If that happens, I will be training when ever I can get it in, and I will love it! :) Today I planned on running how ever long I could around the park, since that didn't happen today, I'll see when I can do that. Since our varisty football team is not doing to bright right now, our conditioning will more then likely be increased. The only thing I hate about football practice is the conditioning after practice. But since its running, although not long distance, more exposive running, it will help even if its a small help, any help will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.