main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Getting to Know You (AU, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, OCs)-Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, Oct 3, 2014.

1. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Title: Getting to Know You (AU, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, OCs)
    Author: K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, K'Tai, An-Paj, T'lor, Rani, and a smattering of other honorable mentions
    Disclaimers: An-Paj is the creation of Jane Jinn. Rani Veko-Kern is the brainchild of Rani Veko. The GFFA is owned by the big mouse. I just play here

AN: This story was inspired by a comment by Nyota's Heart on another story that K'Tai needed a diary. I don't do diaries in RL, much less in fiction, but I have written lots of letters over the years to keep in touch with friends. Sometimes you can write/record what you cannot say in person. Many thanks to Findswoman for beta-ing this.

Preface:

Obi-Wan Kenobi cursed silently as he hobbled along the corridor to the ward in the House of Healing where the senior Tal'shari healer said he would find K'Tai. He stopped briefly to catch his breath and make sure the holocube was still firmly tucked into his belt pouch. He would rather hold it in his hand as he walked, but the crutches were hard enough to manage with his left hand splinted without trying to hold anything in his right hand. He let out a deep breath and winced as his newly healed ribs let him know that they were indeed newly healed. Maybe K'Tai would be willing to do something about that before he had to leave on the shuttle.

Keeping that thought in mind, Obi-Wan set off again down the hall. He reached the door and turned. He saw K'Tai talking in hushed tones to another initiate across the room. She was younger than he was by about 2 years. The copper waves of her hair were pulled loosely back from her face, framing her freckles. Her tunic skimmed her body, hinting at her form but not revealing it. For a moment he pondered how pretty she looked...for a healer. He shook his head. He was Jedi. That kind of thought shouldn't even cross his mind. As if she heard his inner dialog, she looked up and over at him, breaking into a smile when she saw him. Obi-Wan blushed.

"I didn't think I'd see you willingly standing at the door to the ward after you were released to quarters," she said, walking over to him. "How are you this morning? I was going to swing by and see you after I finished rounds."

"My ribs hurt a bit, but that isn't why I came by." Obi-Wan tried to recover his composure. He looked over K'Tai's shoulder to the curious stares of the other initiates on the ward. "I need to talk to you, privately. Can you take a break?"

"Sure." She turned and went to the initiate he had seen her with. After a few moments she returned. "Let's go to the garden."

They walked slowly, winding through the halls and out into the healing garden. K'Tai led him to a bench along a secluded path. They sat down. K'Tai reached over and put her hand on Obi-Wan's arm. He jerked as he felt the curious sensation that accompanied K'Tai's manipulation of the Force. It was a far different, and if he had to admit it, more pleasant experience than he usually had with healers. K'Tai laughed a little.

"It's because I don't scare you."

Obi-Wan looked at her taken aback. "How'd you..."

"I'm an empath. You were projecting happiness tinged with surprise but no fear. I took a guess at the rest. How does that feel now?"

"Better. Are you usually that accurate with guessing the reason behind a feeling?"

"Only when it's fairly obvious or I have inside information. Your master filled me in on your relationship with the healers at the Jedi Temple." K'Tai closed her eyes. Obi-Wan was a mess of mixed emotions and nerves. "OK, out with it. What's got you wound up?"

Obi-Wan paused, trying to figure out how to start this conversation. "I've enjoyed getting to know you these past few weeks. It almost makes missing that hold on the cliff worth it...almost."

"I've enjoyed it too. You have not been nearly the terror your master warned me you would be."

Obi-Wan grinned. "If we had more time, you might not think that."

"More time? What do you mean?"

"I have to leave. I wanted tell you in person. I also wanted to give you this." He stood, balancing on his crutches while he searched through his belt pouch. He pulled out a small bundle and handed it to her.

"Oh." K’Tai looked at the holocube. “What’s this for?” she asked Obi-Wan.

“It’s for us to exchange messages. You said yourself that I’m healthy enough to travel back to the Temple.” Obi-Wan said. He shifted uncomfortably on his crutches. “I’d rather stay here until I am completely well, but at least this way we can stay in touch.” He looked at her expectantly.

K’Tai felt like she had been hit in the stomach. It had never occurred to her that a healthy Obi-Wan would mean an absent Obi-Wan. “Sure, that would be great,” she replied, smiling wanly. She looked back down at the cube and swallowed the lump in her throat. She was supposed to maintain a professional distance with her patients. She shouldn't take the holocube, but there was just something about this particular patient.

Obi-Wan reached over and put a hand on her shoulder. She looked back up into his face. There was concern, hope and something else there...she smiled a little more genuinely. "Thank you," she said. "I would really like to stay in touch. When do you leave?"

Just then Obi-Wan's comlink beeped. He clicked it.

"Padawan? It's time."

Obi-Wan smiled ruefully. "Now. Walk me to the shuttle?"

"Sure you want your last view of Kress to include a healer?"

"Only if it's you."

They walked in silence to the launching pad. Qui-Gon stood, waiting patiently for Obi-Wan before boarding. K'Tai made a deep bow.

"My thanks, K'Tai, for your help." Qui-Gon returned her bow.

"It was my pleasure. He wasn't nearly as bad as you said he would be."

"I had more of a reason to behave," Obi-Wan replied without thinking. He immediately flushed.

Qui-Gon looked at his apprentice and raised an eyebrow. "Is that so?" He turned his attention back to K'Tai. "Perhaps you should visit us at the Temple some time and teach An-Paj a few of your tricks to keep him in line."

K'Tai inclined her head, eyes twinkling. "I'd like that. I'm sure I could learn from Master An-Paj as well."

Obi-Wan groaned. "Only new and inventive ways to torture patients," he said under his breath.

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Come Padawan. We need to go. May the Force be with you, K'Tai."

"And with you, Master. Safe travels and steady paths."

The Jedi and his apprentice entered the shuttle without so much as a backward look. K'Tai stood on the platform and watched the ship lift into the sky until it disappeared from sight. She shook her head. She barely knew Obi-Wan. Why did she feel like a part of her was leaving too? She tucked the holocube into her tunic and returned to her duties on the ward.

Later that night, after she had finished her homework, K'Tai pulled out the holocube. It was small enough for her to hold, but she decided to put it on her desk. She pressed play. Obi-Wan appeared in miniature as a blue ghostly being. He fidgeted a minute and then looked up. K'Tai paused the recording and studied him. His hair was short and spiky except for the nerf-tail in the back and the braid behind his right ear that just extended to his shoulder. He stood with the practiced ease of one brought up in martial arts. She couldn't see it beneath his robes, but she remembered that he had been toned, although he had yet to attain the muscle mass he would have as an adult. Her gaze lingered on his eyes. Even in the hologram, they were intense, intelligent, and inviting. She pressed play again and sat back to watch.

960:4:25

Hi K'Tai.

I hope we can use this holocube to keep in touch. My master has been called back to the Temple for an urgent mission. I won't get to go because I'm not healed enough, but apparently I am healed enough to attend class while he's gone, so I have to leave too. Personally I think the torture that is advanced astronavigation and cartography is punishment for missing that hold and falling in the first place. Ugh!

I didn't get a chance to ask before. Do you have to take classes? What is your favorite subject? What do you like the least? Where do you like to study? We have a balcony off our quarters where I like to sit and read. There are also some nice study carrels in the Archives, but Master Nu tends to shoo me out before I'm done. I also like the salles where the lightsaber sparing happens. Maybe I can spend some time in the observation section. There is no way An-Paj is going to let me spar until all my bones are good and mended, although maybe I can figure out...nah. I promised you I would be good about giving myself time to heal, and I will. I have a feeling that you might come hunt me down if I don't.

Well, I have to run, or I won't have a chance to give this to you before I leave. Thanks for healing me. You are the first healer I've met that I still want to talk to after the fact. Although I'd much rather do it anywhere else but a healer's ward.

Ewok Poet, Gemma and Findswoman like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku -- I loved the tone of this and the timeframe. Inadvertent but inevitable falling for someone -- that is the kind of stuff I love to read/write! [face_dancing] =D= And letter/message exchange is a very intimate and private way to get closer -- a blend of vulnerability with making sure you say it just right. It has the warmth of friendship and doesn't put implications or pressure on either party. "We're just keeping in touch" ;)

[:D]

Gemma and K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku like this.
  3. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    Sucked me right in. Love seeing Obi as a padawan. Gets my juices flowing a little bit again, too. ;)

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wonderful to see this posted. :) The preface is a very nice addition, providing the correspondence with a nice frame. K'Tai's empathic response to Obi-Wan, and his surprised reaction, made me smile because it brought to mind a similar scene from a Sherlock Holmes story (basically Holmes is able to complete one of Watson's unspoken thoughts on the basis of his deductive observations). I'm right with Ny that the tone is perfect for the level of acquaintance between our two main characters: just "getting to know you," but with that special undercurrent. It's fun to get a glimpse of Obi-Wan at this young age, before he becomes older and more MacGregor-cum-Guinness-ish.

And the Tal'shari healing compound seems like a very beautiful, tranquil place—I can think of a lot worse places to be recovering from a fall from a cliff! I Imagine that garden is going to become a very special place for our protagonists... :)

Thanks again—very much looking forward to more. @};-

5. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Thank you all! :) Glad you like the start. At this point, they are just two teenagers keeping in touch. I had the analogy of friends from summer camp in the back of my mind while I was writing these early entries. Let me know if you want a tag or PM as I update.

960:4:32

Hi Obi-Wan.

I wish you hadn't had to go back to the Temple either. I enjoyed our walks in the gardens, and I would very much like to learn the katas you spoke of. They sound a bit like the beginning forms we learn as acolytes in the House Guard. I bet you didn't realize that I am not primarily a healer. Well, that's not technically true. It's that I'm more than a healer. All Tal'shari are healers to some degree. Some of us have additional gifts. Mine is one of perception and strategy, so I've been assigned to the House Guard as part of our security. Maybe that's why you didn't mind me as much as you do other healers. Or maybe it is like I said: I don't scare you.

Yes, we take classes. I have another two or three years before I will finish with my classes. Astronavigation and cartography sounds like a hard but interesting course. Why do you dislike it so much? You didn't say what your favorite class is. So what is it? My favorite classes are my genetics and xenobiology classes, along with my guard training and mathematics. I really like solving puzzles. Math and for that matter healing are just solving different types of puzzles. I don't know that I have classes I truly dislike, but I wouldn't be upset if I never had to take another history class again. Or composition. I can do without having to write essays based on prompts that do not interest me in the least. I like to study in my room in my family's home. There is usually at least one relative around to help with my assignments if I get stuck. What do you do if you hit a road block in your homework?

How are your injuries? You should be pretty close to healed, so has An-Paj cleared you to spar? Is Master Jinn back from his mission? Will you be headed out with him on the next one?

I need to go do my rounds and then head to practice with the other Guards. I hope I hear from you soon.

960:8:14

Hi K'Tai.

Sorry for the delay in getting this back to you. I ended up on a mission right after An-Paj cleared me for duty. Oh by the way, Qui-Gon thinks that you are a good influence on me when it comes to following healers' instructions. I behaved like I said I would, more or less. I can only stand still meditation for a few days, then I need to be able to move at least some. I took it as an opportunity to practice one of the lateral balance forms. I'll have to teach you some of those when we meet next. Or maybe I can figure out how to record it for you and send it to you. I think you would like it.

Anyway, back to the mission. It was an exercise in "expanding my palate and appreciation for the delights of the Living Force," according to my master. What I learned was how to swallow quickly so as to not gag and give offense to our hosts. That was followed by a rather long tour of several small municipalities to investigate rumors of slave trading. It was fun at first because I had to sneak around. But then negotiations became aggressive. That was not fun. There are some seriously messed up beings in the universe. Do you see much of the aftermath of those kinds of things in the House of Healing? They were just kids, about our age. Their suffering was almost unbearable. We found them because the entire planet ached with their anguish. I'm still having nightmares. I would touch stuff - a rock, a doorway - and I'd see what had been done in that place to those people...I don't know how you do it...how healers deal with the pain of their patients. I may gripe about healers, but I do respect them.

Enough about that. You asked some questions last time. No one has ever asked me why I dislike astronavigation and cartography. I guess because it is simply numbers and weird theoretical constructs to me. I'd much rather study the cultures of the planets then how to get there, although I'm very aware of why I have to know the how. Being out in the field with Qui-Gon will impress up you the importance of being able to navigate, slice a computer, or fix a machine. I think philosophy, particularly of the great Jedi sages, is my favorite academic class. Given my choice, I'd spend my time at the Temple divided between sparing and reading philosophy. I have a strong connection to the Unifying Force, and the philosophy gives me something else to ponder other than whatever nightmare woke me up. I also keep hoping that maybe I'll stumble upon a practice that will allow me to decide when not to have the visions, but don't tell my master or Yoda that. The healers have tried to help, but...well, the consensus is that it will become more tolerable as I get older and have more control, plus get through puberty. Apparently hormones do weird things to Force-abilities. As for homework, I can ask Qui-Gon or some of the other padawans if I need help. If I get really stuck, I go ask the master teaching the course. Nothing like getting help from the source.

It's late and I have early meditation before class tomorrow. Until next time.

Ewok Poet and Gemma like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed the chatty feel and the comfyness. :) Their likes/dislikes and values and personalities shine through. =D=

7. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    960:9:4

Hi Obi-Wan.

Yes, hormones do weird things to Force-abilities. My people have a series of rituals around how they mess things up. The rituals can be...interesting. There is nothing like showing how "off" your abilities are to your closest family and friends. Supposedly the rituals give us more empathy for our patients. I'm not convinced though. I think the Elders might just put us through them for the entertainment value alone. Thankfully, I'm through most of them.

That trip sounds intense, and not just because of the trafficking, although that sounds awful. How do you switch from what seems to be a diplomatic social function to the horrors of slavery and bondage without losing your center? And yes, we see a fair number of traumatic cases, although I'm not old enough or advanced enough in my training to be allowed to attend them yet. I haven't fully mastered shielding, and I'm pretty sensitive to the emotional state of others, being an empath. When there are more than a couple of those kinds of injuries on the ward, I'm usually sent for specialized training elsewhere. I would just make things worse, so its better if I'm not around.

Do you get nightmares often? I'm just learning a technique to help suppress them. Maybe when I see you next I can teach it to you. It has helped with some of my own.

My life isn't nearly as exciting as yours. We did have a caravan of gypsies come through last week on their way to trade in the city. One of the kids broke his leg falling out of a tree. Another had a bad chest infection, but the parents wouldn't let us give her medicine. They belong to a religious sect that doesn't believe in modern medicine. I could feel the child's pain and fear every time she coughed and couldn't breathe. It was awful. The parents finally let one of the healing adepts work on her. He didn't use any chemicals, although this was something that he could have. He merely chanted while he used the Force to heal her. They believe he was praying to their god. The adept said that what mattered was that the child was healed. It wasn't important whether or not the parents understood it was the Force and not their god. He then went as far as to suggest that I couldn't be sure the Force wasn't their god. I don't know. In the end I suppose it all worked out, but I can't help but feel like we lied to the family. It doesn't sit well. What happens the next time the child gets sick, only we aren't around?

I have to run. I'm taking care of my nieces tonight. Until next time.

960:10:18

Hi K'Tai.

Qui-Gon is forever telling me that the truths we hold dear depend greatly on our perception. He's also always telling me to keep my focus on the present. Maybe the adept was trying to tell you the same? I've heard of some cultures where those who were Force-sensitive used "prayer" to access healing through the Force. Maybe he detected something in the parents or the child that you didn't. Be that as it may, it would have bothered me too.

Do you volunteer to take care of your nieces or is it a punishment? Sometimes Qui-Gon threatens to send me to the crèche so I can learn patience. I wish he would actually follow through. I think spending time with the younglings would be a nice change of pace, particularly the really small ones. They don't lie or tell the truth from a certain point of view. They just tell it like it is. That is the one thing about most diplomatic missions that just drives me batty - people never say what they really mean. It is all innuendo and implication. I don't know how anyone who isn't Force-sensitive manages. I think most of the time the only reason I know who to believe at these things is the Force. Of course to do that I have to stay calm and focused, not always an easy task.

And, since you are one, what's with the girls? I never quite know what to say to them or for that matter why they seem to think I am worth paying attention to. I'm Jedi. I'm not available. I shouldn't have to be mean or disinterested to get that point across. Just because I'm polite doesn't mean I'm interested. It doesn't mean I'm not either...don't get me wrong. I appreciate beauty in many forms. But I know full well I can't act on that appreciation. This last mission was really difficult from that standpoint. I think I hurt someone I didn't want to hurt. I didn't mean to lead her on, but apparently I did. I apologized, but I don't think it helped.

To answer your question, I'm not sure I do always keep my center when I have to switch gears like that. Although when I lose it, I can generally get it back if I can take time to breathe. The hard times happen when I don't make that time. Qui-Gon says that making the time is the key. All I know is it is really hard to do when someone is shooting at you.

I've got to run. We leave on another mission tomorrow, and I need to finish reading the prep files.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I love the insights as to K'Tai's duties as a healer and the things she needs to deal with as an empath, which is a blessing and also could interfere if her empathic sense was overwhelmed. [face_thinking] Got tickled at Obi's reflections on focusing and fighting off the female interest [face_laugh] [face_mischief] I am looking forward to how his and K'Tai's friendship develops when they see each other again. :)

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Enjoying this. :) It's neat to get a glimpse inside both Obi's and K'Tai's interests and favorite and least favorite areas of study (and why—they're all very understandable explanations). It is interesting but perfectly sensible that "hormones do weird things to Force abilities"—I know we'll see some examples of that in this correspondence—and I love that the Tal'Shari have specific rituals to deal with that eventuality. Just loving the cultural and philosophical details and the tone all around, and like Nyota's Heart, I find Obi-Wan's verbal fidgeting about girls (and his interest in them) very charming and in character.

And please do tag me for updates. @};-

10. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Thanks for the feedback! :D I'm glad you are enjoying these and that Obi-Wan is in character. I'm having fun writing them, but I am always a little concerned that I have over-emphasized Obi's strengths and not played up his faults enough. Re: Obi and the girls - I have the sense that Obi-Wan was an unintentional ladies' man. And let's face it, it takes practice to learn how to oggle discretely, and most teenage boys think they are being discrete when they are far from it. ;) I'm not sure he would ever open up about something like that to another Jedi, but I think he feels safe with K'Tai because she's from another tradition with a completely different view on relationships.
    Tags: Findswoman

961:1:18

Hi Obi-Wan.

No, babysitting my nieces isn't punishment, and yes, I usually volunteer. My nieces give me a much needed escape from the pain and suffering in the House of Healing. When I'm with them, I can forget about the patients for a bit. For someone who hates innuendo and implication, you are pretty good at it yourself. I have a feeling you have a good teacher in that regard to hone a natural ability.

As for what is up with the girls, I'm going to go with you can be quite charming and therefore, someone a girl would like to get to know. I suspect you are one of the few teenage boys they meet who is genuinely nice to them without wanting something in return. And you aren't hard on the eyes. You move with a confidence that most boys lack, and you can be wickedly funny. What's not to like? I think you are blushing. What does your master say about it? How does he handle it? I'm sure he has had more than one woman throw herself at him in your presence, if the looks he got while you were here are any indication. If you ever get a chance to visit Kress again or if I make it to Coruscant, I'd be happy to role play with you. It's not every day a girl gets to throw herself at a Jedi. I'm sure you are blushing now. I'm just teasing. I honestly think they just want to get to know you, and they forget that boys are also just beings who generally respond best to just talking to them. For that matter, a lot of boys forget that about girls too.

Speaking of talking to boys, I get to attend a reception for some state visit that my parents have been invited to. I get to go because I am family and a member of the House Guard. So I get security duty, but kind of undercover. Supposedly there will be Jedi there as well. I doubt it will be you and Master Jinn, but I kind of hope it is. I'm nervous about going. I've never done anything like this. Crowds can be kind of overwhelming. It would be nice to see another familiar face about my age. I've heard interesting things about the Crown Prince who is visiting. While I can handle myself just fine, I'm pretty sure my usual methods of deterring unwanted attention would be frowned upon. Something tells me that flipping him to the ground is out of the question.

Gotta run. Emergency at the House of Healing...something about victims of a pirate raid.

961:2:16

Hi K'Tai.

It was great to see you at the reception while it lasted. I enjoyed dancing with you when we had the chance. You move very gracefully, but more importantly I appreciated the fact that you didn't press me on the reason behind my mood. Dancing with you brought back some memories. I thought I had put them behind me, but apparently not. I know I owe you more of an explanation, but...well, I'm not ready to talk about it just yet. Thank you for understanding. I hope you had a good time in spite of it.

How are the ankle and the ribs? I've never seen a Tal'shari guard in action. Remind me not to make you mad. I'm not sure I'd be a match for you, even with my lightsaber. Speaking of which, how did you deflect those blaster bolts without one? Is it something you would be willing to teach me? My master is forever lecturing me on the importance of keeping my blade on me at all times. It would be useful to have a back up plan for when, in spite of my best efforts, my lightsaber and I are separated. How is the Crown Prince? I saw the way he was looking at you and where his hands were during your dance. Did you manage to keep from flipping him to the floor yourself? I promise I won't tell anyone about the whisper of glee I caught when you had to knock him, rather forcefully I might add, out of the line of fire. Did he understand that you were simply doing your job or did you have to fight off even more advances? I'm sorry I was otherwise occupied with the assassins. I would have been glad to help you put him in his place. There are ways to be appreciative of the female form without being rude about it...or so I'm told. As a Jedi, I would never focus unduly on the female form...at least not overtly. I can see you rolling your eyes now.

Turns out that our next mission will have us returning via Kress. I think Qui-Gon wants to check in and make sure that the situation remains under control. It would have nothing to do with me asking if we could stop by to see how you are recovering.

Gemma likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Delightful exchange between these two continues. I love and applaud how you are able to weave intriguing details into the letters. It lets the readers know what happened at the reception and yet not feel like the essential info is lacking versus flooding with details and specifics that they as participants would know already. Nice balance there.

12. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I just love your characterization of the teenage Obi-Wan. You do such a great job both expressing his (perfectly natural) hormone-induced feelings without having him devolve into a complete ape-man; the braininess, compassion, and civility that are such important parts of his character still come through in spades, and they help transform all those elemental urges into something really noble. I love it when writers can do that effectively. :cool:

And he has such an understanding and sympathetic interlocutor in K'Tai, which seems to be just what he needs right now. She, in her turn, is doing a wonderful job talking through these "matters of the heart" with Obi-Wan. Her interest in him is coming through too, but again, it's all kept perfectly in character and she doesn't turn into a complete shameless coquette.

I always enjoyed the ball scene with the Crown Prince, and with Obi-Wan's cute little hint of something like jealousy. :D

13. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Nyota's Heart: Thank you! [face_blush] That means a lot.
    :D Yeah, I think Obi-Wan is just a tiny bit jealous although if you were to ask him at this point if that is what is going on, he'd deny it vehemently and tell you that he's just looking out for a friend.
    Tags: Findswoman

961:3:10

Hi Obi.

Yeah, right. And bantha poo smells like flowers. All kidding aside, I'm looking forward to seeing you again. I was having a good time until all nine Corellian hells broke loose, even with your mood. You are easy to talk to, and I want to cash in that rain check for a walk in the garden. You can tell me all about whatever was behind your mood then. I get the sense that it is something we should talk about in person and not over a holocube. My ankle ought to be well enough that I won't be on house arrest...at least not for that.

Ugh! If I don't get to take a walk soon without my uncle hovering over me, I'm going to scream. I guess I made a bit of a target out of myself by saving the Crown Prince's sorry hide. The group who was behind the assassination attempt has vowed revenge on "the youngling who dare challenge the divine will." I haven't been allowed to leave the House without an escort. When we do group training exercises, I have to be in the center of the squad. Makes it rather difficult to see. My levitation is on the fritz right now (stupid hormones), but on the plus side I'm getting to practice a lot of far-sensing just so I can follow along. I'm pretty sure with you here, the powers that be will at least let me walk in the garden without additional supervision. Then again, I'd be walking with a boy with an unknown matriarch...however, you ARE Jedi, so my honor will remain intact, more or less. I'm sure the rumors will be circulating as soon as someone sees you talking to me. You weren't as subtle as you thought with your appreciation, especially since you were the focus of some reciprocal admiration from most of the girls at the event. I've already had to hide the holocube from a cousin or two, lest our correspondence become fodder for every idle ninny in the House. I've also had my fill of the dissection of the Crown Prince's moves after the fact. The gundark came and saw me in the House while I was healing, of all things. Acted like he saved my skin! Scruffy nerf herder! If anyone saved my skin, it was you. For that, I'm grateful. And now there are rumors that he might be interested in me. There are so many things wrong with that, starting with he's a good 10 years older than I am and a vapid idiot without a selfless thought in his head. He thinks he's the universe's gift to womanhood. Please! I don't care how well-bred his mother is, that does not make him automatically a catch, no matter what my mother, Bus'cai, thinks.

We fought well together. It was almost surreal...like I knew where you would be even before I felt it in the Force. I liked it. I hope we get to spar a bit while you are here. I'm curious if it will be a similar thing or if it was just that moment. Oh, I'll ask if I can teach you the deflection technique. It takes practice, but it is quite handy. The gist is to establish a flow in the Force, kind of like what you do with your defensive circles with the lightsaber...you are giving me one of those "how do you know about the Jedi" looks, aren't you? We have books here, you know, and just because the Tal'shari don't choose to use lightsabers doesn't mean we don't know about them. They were in existence before the split. I looked up some of the basics 'cause I wanted to try to explain the technique to you. I thought you might get the hang of it better if I related it to something you are already familiar with. Anyway, it's like setting up the defensive circle in Soresu but using a kinetic bubble rather than a saber. Once I get permission to show you, I'll either teach you when you are here or record it for you.

Any idea when you will be here? I need something concrete to look forward to.

961:3:25

Hi K'Tai.

The defensive technique sounds interesting. And no, I wasn't giving you any sort of look. I've observed that Healers are kind of curious by nature, so it didn't surprise me that you did some research, although I was a little surprised you had access to materials about lightsaber forms. As for when we will be there, it will depend on how long it takes us to negotiate the treaty between the Brinwareld Principality and its newly independent colonies. If all goes well, maybe in a month? Could be sooner or later and will depend on what else crops up while we are deployed. Truth be told, I wish I could come today. It has been difficult around the Temple lately. Hold on...Qui-Gon wants something.

Turns out it is going to be a lot longer. We've just been assigned to a long-term mission...at least six standard months. Kriff! Sorry. It's the kind of mission where we are likely to be on the move a lot. I don't know if I'll be able to correspond, but I'll try. We may need to switch to a holo-relay, or maybe when I know that I'll be some place long enough for you to send the cube back, I can get a message to you.

I...I have really mixed emotions about this, K'Tai. I really want to see you, but it is going to have to wait. Please be careful. Those assassins were wouldn't have made it as far as they did if they weren't good at their jobs. There is something to be said for safety in numbers.

I'll send a message when I get a chance.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved K'Tai's fervent non-interest in the Crown Prince LOL I can bet she's getting cabin-fever. ;) Bummed too that Obi can't see her sooner than later. I was looking forward to a spar, a chat, and anything else that might happen [:D]

Gemma and Findswoman like this.
  15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    "Scruffy nerf herder!" :D

Cool new cultural and technique details: on the technique differences between the Jedi and the Tal'shari, on the kinetic bubble defense technique, on the importance of having a good matriarch as a criterion for a good man. I love that kind of thing in fanfiction. :D It's interesting that there was a split between the two Force traditions at some point and that K'Tai has access to Jedi sources (sort of like how my aunt, who's training to be a rabbi, often checks out the Babylonian Talmud from the library of the local Lutheran seminary). I wonder if more will become known about the Jedi/Tal'shari prehistory in this story, or if it's detailed in one or more of your other stories?

16. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Ugh! I had a reply all ready to go and then Darth Safari decided to freeze and I lost it. Grrr! [face_bleh]
    Nyota's Heart: Yeah, K'Tai has no use at ALL for the Crown Prince. :D Not only does she think he's pretentious, but he's the reason her night with Obi-Wan was interrupted and her freedom is being curtailed. Keep in mind too that she is 15 or 16 at this point and the Crown Prince is 25. She finds that just a bit creepy. o_O
    Findswoman: "Scruffy nerf herder" indeed. :D The relationship between the Tal'shari and the Jedi will continue to come up in this story and others, and we will learn more. It is fundamental to how K'Tai and Obi-Wan interact with each other and leads to some conflict in their relationship. The Tal'shari and Mbant society in general are heavily influenced by my brief visit to the Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico. To have a matriarchical society that highly values familial ties and from the outside doesn't appear matriarchical is something I wanted to play with.

961:3:30

Hi Obi.

Blast! I was hoping I'd get this back to you before you left, but no luck. Stupid history class ran long, and I missed the courier. Another reason to dislike that class. I guess I'll have to keep it for awhile.

I can take care of myself, thanks. I don't need to be hidden away in the middle of a crowd to duck a blaster bolt, and it would be really nice to be able to see without standing on my tippy-toes or levitating. That gets exhausting and it gets me a lap around the perimeter of the House when I fall (levitating is still not stable...ugh) with an escort in tow.

The Crown Prince came by the ward yesterday looking for me. He's asked my mother for permission to court me. Can I tell you again how wrong this is? I'm not the least bit interested. However, I was told by Bus'cai herself, in no uncertain terms, that I had to at least spend enough time with him to get to know him. Ugh!! It just feels so...I wish...well, I won't go there. Wishing doesn't make things any better, and I have no choice but to deal with the present situation.

I hope your mission is going well. Take care of yourself. I miss you.

961:4:14

Hi Obi.

I'm going to keep recording messages until you let me know where to send the cube or what holo-relay to tag. I miss getting your replies, but I understand that duty comes above all else. I had my first "date" with the Crown Prince, who by the way has a name - Jordon Yrondonal Prespin qel Gromaldi-Friedelim. He prefers to go by Donal. If I had that name, I'd shorten it too. We took a walk in the Tendel City gardens. You would like them...the paths wander and the Force is an amazing flowing river there with deep currents. It is wonderful...and completely lost on Donal. He's about as Force-sensitive as a rock. He kept asking me what it was I felt as we walked because I had this goofy look on my face most of the time. How do you explain Unity to someone who has never felt it and never will? Aside from being mildly annoying, the questions did show a level of awareness that I didn't think he'd have. He seemed so self-absorbed at the dance.

I came back from the date to my shift on the ward. There has been a string of attacks on outlying settlements from the extremist group, Na'hathan, and one of the guards sent to defend Benders Rock suffered a really bad injury. He's lost his ability to touch the Force. Some thing got beneath his mental defenses and tore his mind to shreds. The Elders are speaking in hushed tones about it. I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to feel the Force. The thought alone just takes my breath away.

I don't know why, but I have the sense that you are in harms way a lot on this mission. Stay safe.

Gemma and Findswoman like this.
  17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    How annoying that all these silly little Darth Real Life things keep coming up to get in the way of Obi-Wan's and K'Tai's correspondence (and their time in person together, as we saw at the ball)! Hopefully that will not last long and their correspondence will be able to continue as normal. Well do I know the frustration of being instructed by an authority figure to spend enough time with someone to "get to know" them, so I feel K'Tai's pain here—especially with such a nebbish as Prince Donal. Though it's a feather in his hat that he at least has some small bit of perception and appreciation of hat K'Tai does... everyone has something in them "worth saving from the fire," I guess.

Now that I read this again, I'm struck by the two opinions K'Tai expresses about non-Force-sensitivity in the second letter—both in describing Donal's non-Force-sensitivity and in her reaction to the man who lost his sensitivity in the extremist attack. Definitely a calamitous misfortune, I agree—though given that by far the majority of beings out there are not Force-sensitive, I also sense a bit of "#firstworldproblems" in K'Tai's reaction. And there's nothing wrong with that—it's just a perfectly understandable little foible that I daresay makes her all the more likable. ;) (Though I also get the feeling that Force sensitivity is more prevalent among K'Tai's people than most...?)

Keep up the wonderful work! @};-

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I enjoyed reading K'Tai's comments on the prince and I bet those gardens are gorgeous, especially for someone who is Force-aware. The tranquility and vibrance of life combining that way :) Yikes, I hope she's not getting an accurate read about Obi's safety on this mission of his, although I am sure not hearing from him is just fueling her concern. [face_thinking]

19. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I am thoroughly enjoying this and when I realized I had read the last entry -- I thought darn -- it's a real page turner. I enjoyed the part about how K'Tai has knocked the Crown Prince out of the way and danger. Thought how Obi teased her about how hard she may have taken him down was funny. Keep up the good work and please tag me in.:)@};-

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  20. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Thanks everyone for the comments! :D
    Findswoman: I hadn't really thought about K'Tai's opinion about non-Force-sensitives before from that light. [face_thinking] In the case of Donal, she sees it as one very good reason that they aren't compatible. I think the defender is a different story. He's part of the House Guard, so she is aware that she might be in a similar position. And she doesn't have enough life experience at this point to be able to put it into perspective and appreciate how one might adapt. As for prevalence, one of the reasons the Jedi forbid intimate relationships is that they did not want to establish dynasties of Force users. Since the Tal'shari don't have the same prohibition, the ability to use the Force has spread more widely through the population, but it still isn't wide-spread.
    Nyota's Heart: Umm...yeah, K'Tai's got a pretty good read on Obi-Wan, even at this stage of their relationship. ;)
    Gemma: Glad you are liking this thus far. Consider yourself added to the tag list. :)

961:6:20

Hi Obi.

So the courtship continues. Donal is more complex than I originally gave him credit for. I can't describe it any better than that. There is the public face, the one I saw at the dance and in the healing ward, all bravado and average intelligence. I can barely stand to be with him when he's in that mode, which is just about any time we are in public together. But when it's just us, he's a different person - intelligent, solicitous, self-effacing. If I didn't know better, I'd say he has a multiple personality disorder. But he doesn't - I checked myself. If he were more like how he is when we are alone when we are in public, this might actually go somewhere.

The guard I told you about last time returned to Unity last night. He took his own life. He just couldn't live with the emptiness of not being able to touch more than just a wisp of the Force any more. I've been crying on and off all day because of it. I was just outside of the ward when he did it. I felt his emotions and tried to get to him, to stop him, but I couldn't get there fast enough. I'd been working with him, trying to help him find harmony in the chaos. We were making progress, or so I thought. He hid his intentions until right before. This wouldn't have happened if they had assigned someone more experienced to the case. They didn't because they said my empathy made me ideally suited to this particular case. But it didn't help. I couldn't stop it and I should have been able to. Kur-Cot, my uncle, said that he doubted a more experienced healer would have stopped him. That may be but it doesn't make it any easier.

I wish you were here. Donal doesn't understand why I'm so upset, or if he does, he isn't acting like he does. I feel very alone. I'm going to send these messages to the Temple holo-relay. Hopefully you'll get them.

961:7:35

Hi K'Tai.

I don't have much time, so this is going to be short. But I wanted to get a message to you to let you know that I'm still in one piece, more or less. I'm also sorry for the loss of your patient. I hate it when I do my best to serve the Force, and it just doesn't seem to be enough. I don't know what to say about Donal. I hope he understands how unique you are. If I were there, I'd let him know in person.

The mission is going longer than we thought. It has been interesting. It is protection detail, something I think you would appreciate. Satine is her name. She is a pacifist to her core and expects the rest of the universe to line up with her ideals. It is aggravating to say the least. I'm supposed to keep the bounty hunters and worse that are after us from hurting her without hurting them back. Ugh! While I appreciate the sentiment, it lacks something in the practical application, especially when we're being shot at. Like Donal, she's not Force-sensitive. We've had some close calls because of that. But we've spent enough time together now that those times are fewer than they were. Not as few as I would like. It has been hard to keep myself focused when I'm never quite sure whether she will do what I've asked her to do. It is maddening, but Qui-Gon has assured me that it will get better. I'm not so sure.

Sending the messages to the Temple holo-relay is a good idea for now. I'll check it as often as I can. Take care.

21. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I laughed when you talked about Donal maybe having multiple personality disorder. But her other patient that is sad -- but from a certain POV --- I totally understand his pain. (RDL) I hope Obi-Wan realizes what a unique young lady K'Tai is --- before it's too late. They seem to have a great friendship.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    K'Tai is appreciating the different aspects of Donal it seems, as a person/individual but not as a love interest. ;) Very sad and tragic about her lost patient. She reacted in a good balance of sadness, wishing she could do more, but not over-wallowing or questioning her innate skill for healing. Glad Obi-Wan was able to get her messages and provide assurance. LOL-ed at the mention of Satine. Protecting Satine hmmmm. Definitely room there for physical and emotional closeness. @};-

Findswoman likes this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Naturally I don't at all mean to belittle either K'Tai's character or your characterization of her; I just thought that little bit of perfectly understandable naïveté was a nice addition to the character so far. :D That's a very interesting point about Force-sensitive dynasties, and it's been really neat to see in your stories so far how the implications of that play out for both of these Force traditions.

Definitely sad about the loss of the guard. As Ny says, K'Tai's reaction is completely understandable and strikes a good balance, which attests to her strength of character and her empathy. Very intriguing to see them each "courting" others at the same time, in two very contrasting ways... is a spot of "bodyguard syndrome" in the cards for Obi-Wan...?

24. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

Apr 18, 2000
    Keep the comments coming! I'm learning new things about the characters through your responses. That's really fun for me as an author. :D
    Gemma: Thank you. K'Tai is not used to people having public and private personas because it just wouldn't cross her mind to not be who she is all of the time. Obi-Wan truly appreciates her as a friend. He's a bit slow on the uptake for anything more.
    Nyota's Heart: Yeah, K'Tai doesn't see Donal as a potential love interest at all. What she heard her mother say was "Get to know him." So she's doing that, nothing more. And then there is Satine. We have to have a little bit of Obi-torture. ;)
    Findswoman: I am struggling to write both K'Tai and Obi-Wan as teenagers since my particular reference to what that period is like was definitely not the norm. I've been 35 in my head since I was 14. So it was nice to see that her lack of life experience was coming across.:D Oh and yes, most definitly a little "bodyguard syndrome" ahead for Obi-Wan. And we will get to see K'Tai again show her age in her response.

961:9:2

Hi Obi.

I had the strangest dream last night. You were in it along with some girl with blond hair. It was clear that you had feelings for her by the way you guarded her. I got the sense that she felt the same. You were all in danger, and you were really worried about her safety, to the point of being reckless with your own. The weird thing is that I woke up absolutely furious with you. I don't know why because it was more than just being upset that you would be reckless. You are Jedi. You said it yourself: you can't act on those types of feelings. And yet...it made me jealous that she was with you and I wasn't. But the worst part was that I was afraid I would never see you again, and it would be because of her. I don't understand it. It had the feel of a vision not a dream. I'm probably being delusional or reacting to the whole situation with Donal.

As for trying to find common ground with a pacifist, you might explain to Satine that being a House guard or Jedi is a bit like being a surgeon. You cause calculated damage to prevent greater disease. Most of the time a poltice works to cure an infection, but occasionally, you need to excise the diseased tissue. I doubt you will be able to change Satine's mind though. She sounds exceptionally strong willed, probably the reason she angers you so much.

Please do take care of yourself. I got permission to show you the defensive technique. I'd like the chance to do that, and I won't be able to if you get yourself killed.

961:10:23

Hi K'Tai.

We have a brief respite so I thought I'd drop you a note. I am not going to get myself killed. I'm not being THAT reckless. However, an injury...I wish I could talk to you in person. I can't really talk to Qui-Gon about this...thing. Satine has become more than just a mission to me. And she can't be. I know she can't be. I am Jedi, and even if I weren't, she is who she is. And yet, the longer we are together...I see it when I catch her looking at me when she thinks I don't notice. And she makes me so mad! That woman can get under my skin. It's dangerous and deadly, and I don't know what to do about it. Before you say, "talk to Qui-Gon," Qui-Gon knows. I know he knows; he's as much as said so. I didn't ask for this, and I certainly haven't sought it out. He knows that too. And yet, all he can say is that when the time comes, there will have to a renunciation. And yet, that doesn't feel quite right to me...

How do the Tal'shari do it? How do you love, have families, and still be wed to the Force? How do you walk that line? And don't tell me you aren't balancing between your duty and your emotions. I felt it in you during the ball. You love your family, and yet when they were in harms way, you did your duty. I could feel the conflict in you. I could feel how you wanted to protect them, the Crown Prince be damned. And yet, you didn't. You were able to focus and do what needed to be done. I see it again in this thing with Donal. You are doing your duty, and I can feel how much it costs you to do it. How much you are sacrificing...how is it that I can feel that by the way? It's strange...but still I feel it.

I'm afraid, K'Tai. The longer this mission goes on, the more I question being a Jedi. What power does she have that she has me questioning my entire life?

Gemma likes this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent bit there with K'Tai having a vision/dream and expressing so candidly her jealousy and concern. Then to contrast that with Obi's wrestling with something the Tal'Shari seem to have gotten the knack of: balancing two things that should not and are not really mutually exclusive. The confusion and the crushing over Satine comes through also very vividly.

I look forward to K'Tai's pointers and relationship +Force tips.