main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Getting To Know You Thread... What Did You Do Yesterday?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I spoke with Skiara and decided to attempt a Getting To Know You thread which allows for slightly more descriptive/in depth rambling about oneself. In this thread we can, hopefully, get to know each other better based upon the content of an entire day's worth of activity. Simply share the details of what you did yesterday...

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'll offer up:
    Yesterday was the first day I was completely settled in up in Cape Cod. When I cannot get home to Ireland, I spend a season in Cape Cod immersed in the Irish community here.
    I brushed my teeth. This is significant only because my wife replaced our toothbrushes. New toothbrush = stiff bristles. Next, we had breakfast with our friend Evie, who is the semi-unofficial 'mayor' of all things social in the Irish community on the Cape. She gave us a good notion of what to do for the evening. I drank 3 entire pots of tea during our outing. After breakfast, I unpacked the majority of my studio so i could work. Instead of working, I went to a bookstore. Then, I worked. For dinner, we went to see Evie at a local public house where the odds of finding people who speak Gaelic are much more increased. Ordered some food, because they have a fair vegetarian menu, and was encouraged to ruin other people's meals during open mic night. While my favored styles of music are old jazz, reggae, and hardcore, I opted to do an acoustic cover of Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2. We went home, I finished up a page I had been working on, logged on here while working, and tossed on a film. I opened my mail before bed and another of the records I ordered arrived. I put it on my turntable and listened to it until I fell asleep.

3. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I worked all day. I am employed at a local college where I wear a number of hats (Director of Intramurals, Student Advisor, and Assistant Professor). So I did my usual 8-6 shift, then headed home and watched the USA-Guatemala World Cup qualifier. After that, I re-watched "Front Runners" the latest TCW episode. I then crashed out after reading Karen Travis' "Hard Contact".

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I walked down to the laundromat so that I could get change to do my laundry in the laundry center across the parking lot from my apartment. I walked a mile or so down the road to get quarters from a laundromat. I then walked that mile or so back to my apartment. I went inside, gathered my laundry, and hauled it across a parking lot, perhaps about ten yards, to the laundry center. And then I did my laundry. Thus, the laundromat down the road is close enough to walk to and get change from, but it's too far away to haul my laundry there on foot. And the laundry center across the parking lot is closer to take my laundry to, but it doesn't have a change machine.

The irony is strong with this one.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I did housework, cleaned the toilets and showers and did the dishes. Washed two loads of washing and hung them out as well as vacuumed the family room. Got a visit from another board member Kooky and did some sewing while she and I talked for a while. Then wrote two pages of fiction before making dinner, cleaning up and writing four more pages of fiction while watching NCIS and Law and Order SVU.....which was tense, again. Then went to bed and slept like a log.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Laundry hikes and fiction make for a lovely day. Sleeping like a log is also rather wonderful. Adalia, are you posting the fiction on here when you finish or is it unrelated?

Yesterday I...

Went to breakfast at Keltic Kitchen and decided against tea since I have been 'abusing' it as of late. Coffee, instead. I worked for a brief period, but was having a momentary creative lapse, so I went to the zoo. The zoo on the Cape is small compared to Philly, so I was only there for an hour, but it was a nice visit. Worked on finishing a page and then had a hurling match on the beach with a few of the lads. Hurling is a rather vicious Irish sport, for those of you who are not aware. Took a beating and went to dinner with some friends. O 'Shea's, again. They have a very accomodating vegetarian menu. I live a very strange dual life: I have been an active musician promoting straight edge & vegetarianism since 1988, drumming and screaming in bands, stage dives, mosh pits, that sort of outgoing lifestyle. But, on the other hand, I am part of a very traditional Irish community where I am a quiet, reclusive artist who (soberly) visits with people at pubs and listens to traditional Irish music, speaks Gaelic when required and am borderline monastic in my simplicity. It is a heckuva dichotomy, but I've lived this way for years without it ever remotely bordering on the contradictory. I finished off my evening by watching Creature From The Black Lagoon from my new Universal Monsters blu ray set and suddenly had an urge to burn through a few hours worth of work, so I stayed up the majority of the night finishing a page and a half. I listened to Billie Holiday records the entire time. It was glorious.

7. Silas Tri

Sep 6, 2012
    MyKe1138: I am a former professional musician myself (guitar, bass, drums, songwriter). Who are your influences?

Yesterday I...

Had my usual Wednesday off. I had slept horribly the past two nights so I was only up for about 4 hours before lying back down and taking a 3 hour nap. Then I got up, made a couple of eggs with toast, and headed to the gym for one of my 4-a-week workouts. Came home, showered, brewed some coffee, and then worked on some notes for a SW fiction idea for about 3 hours. I watched Return of the Jedi with the commentary track while working. After that I crashed because I had to be up by 6:00AM for work today.

8. Darth Avnius

Darth Avnius Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2012
    Yesterday I...

Got up, went to a place called School (A place of mostly ignorant ones if you ask me, but I too am ignorant in some areas so I must learn...for now), when I got to school I was immediately hit with a wave of exciting thoughts for my story I said I would be posting on the page when I'm ready (sadly for you, no spoilers ;)). I did my work, endured the Practice SAT as well as some of my teachers, and came home on the bus. Came home and did all the usual chores and did my best to avoid the rabid 8, 7, and 4 year old cousins within the household (Whom I might say are EXTREMELY annoying and plain rude) but that didn't workout too well. Went up to my room and began meditating on myself, trying to get to the core of what it is that I want most and that I believe (you know about teens being confused and stuff). Unlike most people I am passionate about understanding my mind, body, soul, emotions, and purpose. Anyways I did that little meditation session and learned practically nothing (I usually learn something when I am not distracted by the ravings of children lol). After meditation went on to watch something on T.V. I don't think the debate was yesterday but I know I watched that sometime within the last 3 days. Went to do my usual push up routine (I never really work my abs, I probably should but I'm a push up addict) and managed to do 3 sets of 50 and stopped at 42 on my 4th set (a disappointment). Btw if you're wondering my rest time it was 2 minutes. Did that and the rest of the day I just didn't take any interest in. All in all it was a pretty decent day.

FairLili likes this.
  9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Let's see...

I did some grocery shopping and got some more Halloween decorations, some costume supplies (duct tape and bubble wrap, I have plans for the tape, but not for the bubble wrap... yet), and some stuff to give to trick-or-treaters. Then, I came home, put stuff away, and went outside to decorate some more. As I'm adjusting the spiderwebs already on the door, I notice something...

A real spider had taken up residence in a fake web. It also has spun a web within the web.

WEBCEPTION.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The web within a web sounds rather grand. Post a pic once Charlotte finishes assisting you in decorating. You sound as though you take Halloween decor very serious, which I commend. I don't decorate for Halloween, because my house looks like Halloween all year round. Cannot wait to see what you come up with.

Silas - I will attempt to answer this without turning it into an overly complicated mess. I listen to absurd amounts of old jazz: Billie Holiday, Ella, Louis Armstrong, Carmen MacRae, Nina Simone, Bessie Smith, etc. But, my primary genre has always been the golden age of Jamaican ska/reggae, which means roots & rocksteady. I grew up in a very diverse, urban neighborhood, so I have an ear toward black "sufferer" music. My favorites would be Jimmy Cliff, Lord Creator, Prince Buster, Alton Ellis, Melodians, that sorta vibe.

BUT... I began drumming in fast straight edge hardcore bands at age 12. I have been in several reggae/ska units, but the majority of my musical output seems to be in the hardcore vein. Most of the bands I idolized became my friends and it was such a tight scene up the east coast. And, since the major talking points were positive, sober living, it made it simple for my mother to allow me to drive all over creation to play shows because the people I was surrounding myself with were all doing the opposite of the negative horror stories that moms think of when their jr. high school kid wants to tour during the summer. I was really into Minor Threat, DYS, SSD, the early pioneers. The biggest influences on me in hardcore (and became my friends and tourmates) were Youth of Today, Shelter, Gorilla Biscuits, Chain of Strength, Bold, Token Entry, Pagan Babies, Flag of Democracy, and countless others. Basically fast, aggressive but melodic bursts of energy with positive lyrics. Generally straight edge lyrics promote abstaining from self destructive behavior. I will post an example below. There was a crop of more methodical, mapped out song structure by people from the scene who created intelligent, intricate bands such as Fugazi, Quicksand, and others, and we went in that direction as well. I screamed in some bands, drummed for others. I now also play the theremin.
    Here is a spectacular example of the speed and lyrical content of the music scene I was 'raised' in:

And, here is what my life was committed to in 1996:

ON TOPIC:
    Yesterday I...
    Was mellow. Worked a bit, opted for a day of laziness, which doesn't happen often. Stayed in, which also doesn't happen too often. Watched some monster films and had a lovely PM chat on here with [face_love] Natalie [face_love]

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yesterday, I went to work, went out for dinner, watched the Big Bang Theory, and got on here (and chatted with MyKe :p ).

MyKe1138 likes this.
  12. Silas Tri

Sep 6, 2012
    MyKe1138, Thanks for sharing the vids, really enjoyed them. I'm assuming the second video is one of your former bands? As for me, I played guitar in my band. We were active throughout most of the 90s, playing the local club circuit in my old hometown. We played originals only music which is the only reason I even wanted to play music. I refused to ever become a cover act. Yeah, that's where the money is, but I was never in it for that. I wrote about 95% of the band's material (with my friend, the drummer, contributing the other 5%). Our sound was influenced by the heavier end of the mainstream style of the day (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc). As far as my personal tastes, I listen to just about anything and everything with the exception of country and hardcore gangsta rap.

Yesterday I...

Went to work earlier than usual (7:30AM) and prepared for a day in hell. The college I work for had our biggest event of the year and I was out in the sun and heat (89 degrees was the high) for 8 straight hours. I ended up getting blisters on both feet, dehydrated (because I didn't drink near enough water), and mild sunstroke. I came home and drank tons of water, had some dinner, and crashed in my recliner for the rest of the night.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yesterday I...

Went on a reference scouting expedition for a script I recieved. Worked during the day, other than to have a Christmas morning episode when my pre-order of the new Further Seems Forever record arrived earlier than expected. New shirt, posters, and the album on vinyl. It is a really strong, coherent record. Glad the original lineup got back together. Even happier they sound this good. Went out to eat and got distracted by some friends, never really making it home til later than planned. We spent the abnormally unseasonally warm evening on the beach. Got back to the house (early for a Friday night) and decided to watch a film.

14. Darth Avnius

Oct 14, 2012
    Yesterday I...

Lived a no life lifestyle. Did my work outs and meditations still but I basically just cleaned up and sat on the computer all day working on my Sith and Jedi Projects' pages (not sure if that is proper grammar) and was on youtube watching all sorts of stealth Games including Dishonored, SWTOR Imperial Agent, Assassin's Creed, etc... It was a slow day for me.

15. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Yesterday I...

Spent most of the day being pretty lazy, it was one of those days where I didn't really have much to do so I put my feet up and chilled. In the afternoon I decided to explore the area a bit having only moved to Bolton recently and went off looking around. I ended up stumbling across a shop they have back where I used to live and it was almost freaky going inside it as it was identical to the one I used to go to except everything was on the opposite side, so when you walk in the tills were on your right rather than your left ect. Felt somewhat akin to being in a mirror universe. After that I chilled with the partner and watched some t.v. Pretty dull day really, but relaxing :)

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yesterday, I ...

Babysat and caught up on this season of Once Upon a Time.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yesterday I...

... e-fancied [face_love] Natalie [face_love] ... just as I would any other day. It was a mad day, with a lot of variety. Had a lovely breakfast with friends, went to Barnes & Noble, visited the home/museum of one of my favorite artists (Edward Gorey) whose home/memorial I visit often, bloated myself at Panera, went to a Halloween store hoping to find undisappointing selections, caught dinner, went to see a local musician perform, decided to put an hour or so of work in, before viewing 2 films and calling it a day. In between each activity, I posted on here and another site via the technological witchery known as the Cloud.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yesterday, I...

Actually put in a very full day of work on a page and a cover. I stopped to grab lunch with my friend Evie and brought back a scone and some already-brewed tea for the afternoon. I've been running monster films the entire time I've been in the house all month, even if only as background, so I got a few more of the old classics in. Went out for a brief jaunt in the evening to watch some of the local parkour runners do their mad routines. I have a lot of fun stuff planned for the next few days, so I made a preemptive strike on more work in order to be ahead of schedule in spite of not planning on actually working too consistently the remainder of this week & weekend. While putting in a few extra hours, I logged on here to check in on WNU in case anything needed bumping or any newbies were needing a greet or any answers... and also hoping to... you know... talk to [face_love] Natalie [face_love] .

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yesterday, I...

...Tried to post in this thread and kept getting a Javascript error. Otherwise, I worked on a costuming project.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Sorry about the javascript error. We are glad that you are persistent, though.

Yesterday, I...
    Drove back home to Philly for the day. Stopped in the comic book store to hang out and see how the new issues look in print. Ate some falafel and tabouli for lunch before heading over to the drum shop to pick up new heads. I visited my house to check on things and pick up a replacement I need for my turntable in cape cod. I had dinner with my cousin Colleen and then went to the Fathom Events screening of the recently restored Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein at the cinema. I have viewed both films countless times, but in a packed theatre on a huge screen, it felt like seeing these films for the first time. It was grand. I sat at the diner and logged on here for a brief moment, but since I had no messages from Natalie, my site enjoyment was decreased significantly. I then drove back up 95.

21. Darth Avnius

Oct 14, 2012
    Yesterday I...

Wasted 24 hours of my life...Something I think I will forever regret.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yesterday, I ...

Went to work, grabbed coffe with a friend, lunch with another, picked my sister up, and re-read a book. Pretty nice day.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yesterday, I...

...Posted in this thread, complaining about the Javascript error. I also took a couple walks.

24. Adamina

Adamina Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    Yesterday I...went to work, came home, made dinner, dropped my daughter off at the Boys and Girls Club, then went and got her, then went home

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yesterday I... Finished helping out some of the less capable in my community prepare to survive death-by-hurricane, took my dog out for a nice long walk in the lull bewteen the rain falling and the wind coming in, had people over for a monster film marathon during doomsday outside, and went out during the first break in the early morning to patrol the area & make sure nobody was stuck out in it with problems. It was a really good night. Philly got pounded, but we made out a lot better than our neighbors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.