main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Getting to Know Your Fellow Housemates - 20 Questions

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother House' started by Jjanda_Solo, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Question 14, Erik!

2. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks, must have been so excited to answer the questions that I skipped that one.

Erik

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey Miss, I didn't know you were a Canuck! Yay, 2 of us!

Of, and I got a bad shoulder injury playing basball like 8 or 9 years ago, and I'm too stubborn to get it looked at, so every once in a while it acts up.

4. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    I went to the doctor and had surgery on it. They had to cut away some of my muscle because it was stretched out too much. Fun times.

Erik

5. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    wild, niiiiiice. :D //maple leaf//

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    //good beer

7. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    I'm a Canadian too... just currently living in the States as a permanent resident married to a U.S. citizen. :)

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
  9. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Heh heh heh. Sweeeet!

"A toque is not a hat!"

10. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    [image=http://www.mycheers.com/images/canada/canada6.jpg]

11. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    HAHAHAHA!!! [face_laugh]

12. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    ;)

Here's a SW fan census (I didn't come up with the questions, but my answers are in blue).... I'd love to see your responses!

1- Do you have a spouse/SO, children; do they or will they share your SW obsession?

I am married (he shares my appreciation of SW), we have no children.

2-How long have you been a fan; and when did you become one?

I have been a fan since I was eight (when I first saw the trilogy).  My fandom what rekindled when the Special Editions were released.

3-What kind of sci-fi and/or fantasy do you enjoy other than Star Wars? What are your favorite sci-fi and/or fantasy books, movies, and TV?

I love Tolkien, and the Vampire Chronicles, but mostly I prefer scientific works based on fact (Carl Sagan, etc.) and fantasy based on human mythology (Joseph Campbell, etc.).   However, I enjoy films such as "Dark City", "Ghost in the Shell", "Jin-Roh", "Princess Mononoke", "Unbreakable", "Blade Runner", etc.  
    8-What is it about SW and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences??
    I am and psychology and anthropology lover.  It is the mythology and universality that is present in fantasy stories that appeals to me.  Sci Fi has always satiated my obsession with space, and the prospect of finding other intelligent cultures.   I love the imagination and grandeur of Lucas' vision.

4-What are your hobbies? Do you collect sci-fi memorabilia, write or draw sci-fi and fantasy?

I write, read, draw and swim.  I don't collect, but I often like to write or draw sci-fi/fantasy.

5-How long have you been posting in Star Wars forums? Why do you frequent these boards? What do you get out of it; and what do you hope to give to others?

I first started posting on the council in summer 1998.  I haven't been to Jedinet in a long time, but I came back to revisit old friendships now that AOTC is coming out.  I love that feeling of comraderie.

6-Who were your childhood heroes or role models?

My mother and father.

7-What film or TV characters do you slightly or largely resemble in appearance and/or personality and actions?

I've had people tell me that I look like a cross between Kate Winslet in "Holy Smoke!" and Winona Ryder in "How to Make an American Quilt".  In personality, I'm probably a cross between Natalie Portman and Motoko Kusanagi.

8-Name something you dreadfully fear yet dearly love and enjoy and/or find relaxation and fascination from?

Flying...

9-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends?  And, what message do you want inscibed on your tombstone?

I want to be remembered as a free spirit, and individualist, a dreamer... who wouldn't compromise her instincts.   I also hope to be known as someone who was empathetic and compassionate.  I don't want to have a tombstone.  I want my ashes to be scattered.

10-If you could contribute one aspect of yourself to all of humanity, what would it be?

My love and respect of different cultures.

11-If a book or movie were to be made about your life, what would you have it called?

Where the Wind Takes Me.

12-If you could figuratively ?consume? or absorb three people to gain or understand their particular
    knowledge, attitudes, and insights, who would they be and why?

Wade Davis (anthropologist, wonderful human being), Daniel Quinn (tribalist, revolutionary thinker), Jane

13. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    1- Do you have a spouse/SO, children; do they or will they share your SW obsession?

married, 6 1/2 years, we have children and yes they are all already huge star wars fans, especially our youngest... he could watch star wars all day.

since i was 3 years old when i first saw ANH in the theater

3-What kind of sci-fi and/or fantasy do you enjoy other than Star Wars? What are your favorite sci-fi and/or fantasy books, movies, and TV?

i love all things tolkien, dune, 2001, battlestar galactica, not much of a star trek fan but i'll watch it occasionally, i like phillip k. dick, and the movie versions of bladerunner and total recall. haven't seen minority report yet but i plan on going friday.

4-What are your hobbies? Do you collect sci-fi memorabilia, write or draw sci-fi and fantasy?

my hobbies include working on and listening to music, sports, reading, movies and playing chess. i collect star wars toys but that's about it and i don't take it very seriously. i can't draw at all and i've never even tried to write science fiction, or much fiction at all for that matter.

5-How long have you been posting in Star Wars forums? Why do you frequent these boards? What do you get out of it; and what do you hope to give to others?

i started posting around the 1st of february, i started lurking and reading the spoilers a couple weeks earlier right around the time that i decided to quit smoking. i'm happy to say that i still haven't smoked, and after 13 years of being a smoker that is quite an accomplishment. i really don't think i could have done it without the JC, it really gave me something to take my mind off cigarettes those really tough first couple weeks. and now i really feel at home here. i'll go through short phases where i don't post very much and in time these might become more frequent but i think i'll always come back.

my parents and han solo ;)

7-What film or TV characters do you slightly or largely resemble in appearance and/or personality and actions?

The Fonz :cool: :p

8-Name something you dreadfully fear yet dearly love and enjoy and/or find relaxation and fascination from?

performing live

9-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends? And, what message do you want inscibed on your tombstone?

i would hope that i would be remembered for being a loving family man and a good father, something similar to that on my "tombstone" would be nice (i want to be cremated)

10-If you could contribute one aspect of yourself to all of humanity, what would it be?

my 50's sideburns. no really, probably my sense of humor. that or my full stomach, sometimes we forget how truly blessed we are just to have that.

11-If a book or movie were to be made about your life, what would you have it called?

unfinished tales ;)

12-If you could figuratively ?consume? or absorb three people to gain or understand their particular knowledge, attitudes, and insights, who would they be and why?

socrates for his thirst for knowledge, gandhi for his strength and wisdom, and nietzsche to see once and for all what really went on in that mind... of course that might just send me over the edge.

13-Finally, journey back with me to Dagobah. Yoda told Luke, ?Your weapons, you will not need them.? Luke asked, ?What?s in there??, to which Yoda replied, ?Only what you take with you.? What did Yoda want Luke to take with him; and what meaning does Luke?s lesson hold for the rest of us?

nothing, i think ideally luke would have brought no preconceptions or "baggage" wit

14. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

Met my girlfriend on these boards

Liked the movies ever since I was about 4 or 5. Only really got into it when I read Heir to the Empire at th eage of 13 in October 1993

Orson Scott Card, David Feintuch, Tolkien, Tim Zahn, RA Salvatore for books. Anything SF/Fantasy for movies, mostly anything SF/Fantasy for TV

4-What is it about SW and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences??

It's the expansion of thinking that I enjoy, being able to "think outside the box" as it were, and come up with new ideas and new ways of looking at life, the universe, and humanity.

5-What are your hobbies? Do you collect sci-fi memorabilia, write or draw sci-fi and fantasy?

Only SF I really collect is Star Wars, but I enjoy all of it. Always have plenty of ideas for stories, but haven't gotten around to writing any of them down yet.

6-How long have you been posting in Star Wars forums? Why do you frequent these boards? What do you get out of it; and what do you hope to give to others?

Been here since Oct 99. I like it because I get to talk about things I enjoy, not just SW, with other peple who do too. Also met my g/f here :D

7-Who were your childhood heroes or role models?

Didn't really have any, I don't think

8-What film or TV characters do you slightly or largely resemble in appearance and/or personality and actions?

hmm, I have a deep voice, and have been compared to James Earl Jones ...

9-Name something you dreadfully fear yet dearly love and enjoy and/or find relaxation and fascination from?

Space travel

10-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends? And, what message do you want inscibed on your tombstone?

Dunno, never really considered it

11-If you could contribute one aspect of yourself to all of humanity, what would it be?

Sense of humour. And ability to drink a lot of beer without getting sick or hung over (24!)

12-If a book or movie were to be made about your life, what would you have it called?

I Came, I Saw, I Got Drunk

13-If you could figuratively ?consume? or absorb three people to gain or understand their particular

Stephen Hawking, because he's the smartest man alive and understands the universe better than anyone else. Only one I can think of

14-Finally, journey back with me to Dagobah. Yoda told Luke, ?Your weapons, you will not need them.? Luke asked, ?What?s in there??, to which Yoda replied, ?Only what you take with you.? What did Yoda want Luke to take with him; and what meaning does Luke?s lesson hold for the rest of us?

"Only what you take with you" refers to his own fears. He wanted Luke to confront himself and his own deepest fears. Lesson? Learn to confront them and accept them, not try to destroy them.

15. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001

I have a girlfriend, she doesn't really understand Star Wars. No one I know knows what it is, actually. Except my mum, who still remembers having to go to toy shops and ask for "Bib Fortuna" and "Jabba The Hutt" and crazy names like that.

Since 1983. Until '87, I think, and then I forgot about it until circa '97, SE time, and then I forgot about it until I read an ad in the paper for TPM.

None, I'm afraid. I liked I, Robot, and there are a couple of others, but it's not really my department.

3b-What is it about SW and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences??

I think it's escapism, basically. Just being somewhere else, different world, different time. And the feeling of being completely overwhelmed by something. Often "escapism" is seen as something only nerds and outcasts and the like strive for, but go tell that to the fat macho who watches TV all evening to avoid having to talk to the wife. Escapism is only human.

Nein.

I've signed up because no one I know felt any anticipation for AOTC. I just wanted to be among fellow freaks. :D

There have always been heroes and models for me, but only for a short time; I always disposed of them after a while.

I really don't know. Maybe Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge, from the top of my head.

Giving in to a certain need that can't really be discussed right here, right now.

9-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends? And, what message do you want inscibed on your tombstone?

I want to be remembered as a great mind. My tombstone message should read: A Unique Human Being. A bit arrogant, yes, but I'll be dead so no worries for me.

My middle finger. No. My insights.

The Rise And Rise Of Casper Dekker.

12-If you could figuratively ?consume? or absorb three people to gain or understand their particular knowledge, attitudes, and insights, who would they be and why?

Harry Mulisch (a Dutch writer), George Harrison and Stephen Jay Gould.

13-Finally, journey back with me to Dagobah. Yoda told Luke, ?Your weapons, you will not need them.? Luke asked, ?What?s in there??, to which Yoda replied, ?Only what you take with you.? What did Yoda want Luke to take with him; and what meaning does Luke?s lesson hold for the rest of us?

Get rid of your inner demons, I think the muppet meant.

16. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001

Nope.

I don't remember. I know that I used to hate it. Thne I got around to watching it on tape and loved it.

Movies is about it: A.I., and some other films.

3b-What is it about SW and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences??

I think that a compelling story will always keep my intrest in anything.

I collect SoBe caps, and surf the net.

Since January 2001. Before that I didn't even visit any message boards.

Cal Ripken, Wade Boggs, Don Mattingly, and Papa Smurf.

A girl said that I looked like Tom Cruise. I laughed. She was good looking, but had a kid. So that was a no-go.

I can't think of anything.

For my Theory of Gravity.

My genorosity.

I don't know.

John Lennon, The guy who runs "Area 51", and my ex-girlfriend(to see just what was the matter with her).

Yoda wanted Luke to confront his fears.

So I guess the message would be to confront your fears. (Profound. I know.)

Erik

17. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001

Well, I'm not married. There's this guy that was my boyfriend then we kind of broke up but I think we may get back together, and he's actually more of a Star Wars fan than I am (has tons of SW stuff, actually went to the SW Celebration back in May, made 8,000 posts on a SW message board, actually met his girlfriend on said message board...). Kids. Well, that might depend on who I marry I guess, but I would figure they'd be at least somewhat SW fans.

I can't remember how old I was when I first saw ANH (maybe 6, 7? I'm not sure). Quite young. I've basically been at least somewhat of a fan, at least off and on, since then. (And I'm 18 now, so go figure... a little over 10 years I guess, with no sign of ceasing to be one of course.)

I like (in no particular order except as I think of them) Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Narnia (and Space Trilogy), most things by Orson Scott Card, Dune, Redwall, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and probably some other things that I'm either forgetting or else haven't read yet but will like. Basically all of my favorite stuff to read or watch is sci fi and fantasy (though I do like lots of other things as well, my real forte is sci fi and fantasy).

As I said, I read and watch sci fi and fantasy. I don't collect or draw. I do write some though. I've completed one SW fan fic, started several others, and written a couple of poems on the subject. I've also from time to time toyed with inventing/writing other non SW sci fi. Other than that my hobbies are more writing, more reading, the net, shopping, and talking to people (and probably some other things I'm forgetting).

I started posting a little on the very small forum at fanfix.com a little before I went to an ezboard called Soul of the Jedi, which was a little before I came to the JC in February, 2001. So I've been at the JC for a year and four months, and at a couple of other SW message boards for just a few weeks before that. Before that though, I for several years did a lot of reading of SW fan fics, and some frequenting of other SW sites. I come to these boards mostly to be social on the net in a place that is familiar and fairly safe and where I have some friends and at least one common interest with everyone (SW). Also, as I mentioned, I met my boyfriend here, which was a reason to hang around. Plus I guess now I'm just addicted. :p I get out of it mostly, as I said, social interaction. What I hope to give is basically the same thing: I want to be friendly and entertaining and add something to the lives of the others here.

I guess my parents, and maybe, odd as this sounds, characters, even versions of myself, that I invented in my head. Like, I'd tell myself stories about myself as I wished I was. I never really was much into heroes or role models that much. I never really hero-worshipped any actors or characters or whoever much.

I have no idea. I'd never thought about it much. Mostly, again, probably characters I invented. I have entire worlds worth of characters and situations in my head, both SW, real world, and in universes I invented myself. I've never really compared myself much to actors or characters. As far as appearance, y

18. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999

No/no and no. I'm not going to force anyone to share my SW obsession.

I have no idea. Sometime when I was a kid and I had a Han Solo action figure I guess.

Favourite sci-fi series are Red Dwarf, Buffy and Angel. Favourite books are Tolkien and Pratchett. Favourite movies are Bladerunner, Metropolis, Dragonheart, Pitch Black, Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal.

Photography, and a bit or art. I collect some of the figures.

Just before TPM came out. I still come here for the people, not the drama. I hope others branch out and don't stick in one area, or one star wars site. There's plenty to go around.

Mum, Dad and G-Force.

Good lord, I don't know.

There's not too much I'm dreadfully afraid of, sorry.

9-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends?  And, what message do you want inscibed on your tombstone?

I hope I'm remembered as being unselfish and loving. I would like "There is no god" on my tombstone.

My love of the unknown.

Fantasy will get you nowhere, Kid.

12-If you could figuratively ?consume? or absorb three people to gain or understand their particular

Stephen Hawking (so I could really understand astrophysics), Richard Branson (so I could be successful and extravagant at the same time) and Truganini (so I could know what real fear and pain is, but also have her strength and determination).

Yoda wanted Luke to rely on his own instincts and knowledge, not something that wasn't a part of him. I think Yoda was trying to tell us to tackle your fears with what you have, don't stand behind something else.

19. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    G-Force -- sweet Lord! You remember it! I thought I was the only one on Earth.

20. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    I think I love you a little more each day, Debo.

[face_love]

21. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    You're pure magic, Sil.

22. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001

Nope.

I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. I think I first fell in love with SW around the age of three.

Harry Potter, the Narnia books... for fantasy.

For other sci-fi: 2001 A Space Oddysey, The Golden Compass Series, Brave New World.

I don't watch too much sci-fi on TV. I personally hate Star Trek. (Sorry to all the Trekkies out there! ;) ) The only show that I love that might be considered sci-fi is The X-Files.

What is it about SW and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences??

Sci-fi/fanatsy help give me a chance to "escape" from life. I simply lose myself in wonderful new worlds and forget all my problems.

I wrote some FanFic for a while. :)

I started lurking here in March '01. I first came to TF.N to look for AOTC spoilers. I eventually joined in May '01 to talk to other SW fans about the films.

Now, I mainly frequent the boards to chat with friends I made on the JC. I am highly active in the group The Lightsiders... we're basically an anti spam group committed to trying to do everything we can to make the JC a better place.
    :)

I never really had a hero...

I look almost EXACTLY like Scully from The X-files. Except that my hair is not as red... and recently I grew it out longer for dancing.

Nothing is coming to me.

For my determination to try and be the best person I could possibly be.

Also, the acceptance of all peoples...despite their ethnic background, interests, or social class.

I'll have to think about this one and get back to you.

Gandhi (He is just an incredibly patient and accepting person)
    Baryshnikov (If only I could be that good at Ballet!)
    Bradbury, (As I stated earlier, I simply love his writing style.)

The ability to calmly face one's fears.

In addition, Yoda realized that Luke greatly hates Vader. After Luke depatitates the imaginary Vader, and sees his face in the helmet, he realizes that hate is never constructive. Violence only

23. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Gandhi (He is just an incredibly patient and accepting person)
    Baryshnikov (If only I could be that good at Ballet!)
    Bradbury, (As I stated earlier, I simply love his writing style.)

Cool. You -- I -- don't often see these names together.

24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Oh, just thought I'd correct: yours truly is girlfriend-less now. In case you get a question about it.

25. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Debo, should we be sorry to hear that, or should we cheer you on (i.e. did she break up with you or you with her?). Okay, it's none of my business. I'm just saying that I'm sorry to hear that... unless I'm supposed to be glad to hear that, in which case I'm glad to hear that.

:p :)

(Basically I'm just trying to be nice and sympathetic.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.