main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ghost effect

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by 20x6, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    OK, I've wasted hours searching and haven't found this one, so don't jump all over me for asking. Does anyone have a good way of doing the jedi ghost effect (you know like when Obi-Wan appears to Luke)? I have Premiere 6.5 After Effects 5.5 standard and Photoshop 7.0 Thanks.

2. cdman52

cdman52 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2003
  3. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I don't know, It looks like I'll have to wait until next month because they've exceeded their bandwidth!

4. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Is there a tutorial on that anywhere?

5. RoNiK

RoNiK Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2003
    Yeah! Where can I find a tutorial on it because I need a ghost jedi!

6. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    It's like a noob summit in here.

7. GaNgStA

GaNgStA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2003
    Ohh it whould be nice if somone gave uss the link... that whould be verry helpfull indeed...

C.J

8. cdman52

cdman52 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2003
    I Will attempt to explain how I did that.
    First I filmed my actor saying his lines. Make sure you have good lighting. Then I filmed just the background with out moving the camera. Now I take that footage and put it into after effects, in a comp called Difference, as two layers the background on bottom and the actor on top. Then I set one of the layers to Difference, you did this right if all of the screen with out the actor is black and the part with the actor looks kindof like the background.

Now make a new comp, name it Edges, and put the first comp, difference, with the black background and the funny colored actor into this new one. Now add the hue/saturation effect and turn the saturation all the way down so the video is completly black and white. Next add the effect called find edges, this makes a white outline of just the actor, you may want to mask out any unwanted white spots or edges.

Next, I made a new comp, called glow, and put the comp Edges into this new one. Now you duplicate the edges comp in the new glow comp a few times and apply a gausian blur from the blur effects menu. so now you have this glowing outline of your actor.

Make a new comp called final, put the original footage of the actor in it, and turn the transperincy down then put in the background footage underneath the actor, now put the glow comp on top of the actor and background. Then you do a color change just like a light saber.

whew, hope that is clear and helpful.

Cdman52

9. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to try it within the next couple of days.

10. newbiedoobiedoo

newbiedoobiedoo Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2003
    Does anyone know a good way to make a jedi ghost in photoshop other than bumping up the blue, adding an outer glow and reducing the fill? I'm trying to make a poster and it just doesn't look quite right.

11. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    I saw something like this in another thread. Here's a link to how crew of two did it in Duality.

I haven't tried it yet. Waiting for my new After Effects.

cdman52, your clip won't play in quick time OR premeire. :_|

12. artofwot

artofwot Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2003
    It's possible to do this effect in after effects.
    Film the actor on bluescreen. Then, delete the blue screen so it is transparent.
    From here you have a couple of options. First of all, definetly adjust the transparency (opacity) to around 50% or wherever you fell comfortable.
    Try adding a new solid over the person, adjusting the opacity, and then masking the solid so that it is only over the actor. Make the solid a white so that the ghost looks paler.
    Apply a blur filter to the person layer.
    Apply an "ECHO" filter to the video. This will create a sort of "video echoe", and will look a lot better.
    For the stroke around the ghost, you have a couple of options. You can apply a regular stroke, or try something else.

Good luck, I now how you feel when you want to do something!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.