main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ghost towns and tumbleweeds

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by SovereignKnight, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Wow this place is dead. I admit I don't post here very often, but it appears no one else does either.

Yep.

**looks around**

Yep.

So then...

My date cancelled tonight. I'm bored now, and it looks like I'll be bored all night. She said she has a cold and doesn't feel good. I can understand. I was looking forward to meeting her though. Now I've got no one to play with tonight. Being single is not only the best thing, it's also the worst thing. Especially in Salt Lake. I knew moving 2000 miles from all of my friends and family was going to be tough. I tried to prepare myself for lonely weekends with nothing but a Blockbuster rental and some Mac & Cheese, but the reality of it sucks. People are social animals, and social cravings are hard to replace. Mac & Cheese does little to stave off companionship.

Yep.

The atomic number of Iridium is 77. I knew that off the top of my head. Interesting, no?

Yep.

Lindsey Jacobellis crashed last night on the last hill of her race while showing off to the crowd. It cost her a sure gold medal. Bob Costas and company won't let her forget it either. I feel for her. She's just a kid, and she did a kid thing, and she shouldn't be punished anymore for a mistake she obviously regrets. Sometimes you get to learn life's lessons in the harshest way possible. Now she's immortal.

Yep.

I have a refund check sitting on my table for $909. It's been sitting there for a week. I should probably take it to the bank. Maybe I'll take it and buy a new guitar. I need a new guitar, and that would give me something to do tonight. Yeah. I think I'll do that.

Yep.

I realize everything I've said here is off-topic. What is the topic anyway? It appears this whole board is a social board, so maybe off-topic posts are allowed. I've been with TFN for 5 years now, but I've only ever been involved in the fanfilm boards. A post like this over there would have gotten me banned instantly and incurred the wrath of MadMax Veers. (He and I don't get along). I'm notably cautious when posting on TFN boards because of that.

Yep.

I like my job. I get to travel all over the country and meet new people and see new things. I hate my job. I'm never home long enough to form any meaningful relationships or do the things I want to do. I like my job, because it pays really well and it's allowed me to have things I want instead of just bare essentials. I hate my job, because no matter how much money you have, it's never enough to buy any sort of happiness. Joy isn't a tangible good. I like my job because it gives me opportunities. I hate my job because it takes away opportunities. When my teacher asked me in grade school what I wanted to be when I grew up, I never would have guessed I'd be what I actually turned out to be. That question is bull**** anyway. No kid knows what he wants to be. I'm in my 30s, and I still don't have a clue. You really only know what you don't want to be, don't you?

Yep.

I have no clue why I'm writing random thoughts here. I guess I just feel this urge to type stuff. Typing is sorta fun.

Yep.

I'm out.

2. Shadow_Wolf_3882

Shadow_Wolf_3882 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    It is a social board, so posts like that won't get you banned. And yes, this board is a rather...."post-bursting" board. What I mean by that is that there is a time where people post a lot (bursts of posts) then it dies. So yeah. And as I have nothing better to do, I have the time to check the boards at least once a day.

And yeah...I know what it's like to move 2000 miles from everything you've known. Granted, I had someone here, but then, you have us, so that's not too bad. And it's scary that I know the fact that a person who just died (literally up to 10 minutes since they passed) they can be hit by lightning and (somehow) and there is a chance that they can come back to life. Or even the fact that the longest someone has been dead that has come back to life was (if I remember properly) about 10 days...it was some fisherman in Finland, I think. His family was just about to bury him and he just started breathing again. Yeah, that was freaky.

Oh, great, I'm rambling again...not good. Or is this monolouging? If so, I should stop as monolouging is the downfall of villans and heroes alike, and I don't feel like having my downfall just yet.

3. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I can sympathize with you. I moved from Chicago to SLC. At times it's great & other times I'm really homesick for the Lake & the Field Museum & all my friends at the museum. I love my job but it can be hard & the people drive me crazy sometimes. And why is it so hard to find Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice around here? In spite of all that I may buy a place of my own out here; put down roots. And I'm still hopeful that I'll find somebody worthwhile around here.

4. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    The fun thing about the FanForce boards, SovereignKnight, is that off-topic ramblings are not only welcome, they're expected.

Plus, your post was fun to read!

5. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Sorry, I've been sick for awhile and I haven't been able to get online.

Please keep up the ramblings, I ramble myself all the time. Course I talk really fast anyway so there's really no big deal there.

6. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Yes, the SLCFF boards sort of fluctuate with posts....

I had a rather busy weekend (ok, wed-sun) so there was no way I was going to be online...crazy weekend. A whole bunch of people voted me as most likely to help them succede. It is very humbling, and at the same time makes me want to curl up in my bed and go back to sleep.

I like sleeping...well, dreaming actually. I can be anything when I dream. Oddly, I dream that I'm a guy often...perhapes I have guy envy *shrugs* oh, and I can fly in my dreams! Always...it is so great. There are some dreams where it is nothing but me soaring around in the clouds...skipping over the water in the middle of nowhere. I would love to be able to fly in real life...the closest I have come to that is riding motorcycles.

It makes me so sad...I earned my motorcylce endorsement on my license over a year ago and have never really been able to use it. The same summer that I earned it 2/3 of my biker buddies sold their bikes to finance a wedding/law school/new car. My bike just sits in the garage gathering dust and leaking oil. I tried riding by myself....but never got very far...the stupid thing kept dying on me. It is an older bike, 25 years old to be exact (just like me! well, almost). I don't know how to fix it and can't afford the $50 an hour to have someone tell me what is wrong and then another $50 an hour to actually fix it! Moreover, I don't know anyone with a truck to haul it anywhere to be fixed.

If you know anyone who is looking to buy an 1981 bike that has 'staying on' issues....let me know.

7. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    I'm guessing you meant "succeed?" I totally read that as "secede", to which I thought, "so there's a whole group of people that want to break off and get away from her?" I was confused.

:)

I'm better now. I seriously did read it that way though. It wasn't until I came back a second time that I read it right.

So Mary... how does being sick keep you away from the compy? I would think that being sick and moping around the house would be the perfect time to be online. Unless you had some deal where you couldn't get up or something. I hope you feel better. :)

Erin. I want to go skydiving this summer. I had a friend that promised to take me, but she um... can't go now, so I'm gonna need a jumping buddy. You wanna fly for real? You know you want to. Come with me.

8. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    um......well....see, I have this fear...of heights. Well, it isn't so much the height but the idea of watching the ground come up really really fast and then stopping my fall.
    How about I wait for you on the ground? How does that work? Then we can go eat and you can tell me alllllll about it ;)

9. Shadow_Wolf_3882

Shadow_Wolf_3882 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    And the reason that Mary couldn't be near the compy when she was sick is because she had to be near a bathroom. Yeah, she wasn't doing too well, and I'm getting to be feeling crappy, even though we both got sick on the same day.

10. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Much like what Brandon so nicely put. I could barely leave a bed from Saturday night to Sunday night. Not a very good feeling to have.

11. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I think that everyone's had that feeling.

12. weemansith

weemansith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    I know that feeling as well. I haven't been on the boards very much since the holidays. Works keeping me pretty busy and all. Skipped out on work today though, thus this post.;) I'm getting ready for a basketball tryout this weekend. It's for the new ABA team here called the Salt Lake Dream. Kindof a lame name, but if I can get paid to play basketball I think I can live with that.

Man I'm almost 26! On the 28th to be exact. It's crazy. Well, that'll be all from me for now. Wish me luck this weekend.[face_praying]

13. Master_Beorn

Master_Beorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    And I thought that this thread was going to be about ghost towns. You know, Utah has a proliferation of them. There was a book written on the subject called "Some Dreams Die" about Utah's ghost towns and lost treasures. Go find it at the library, and I'll wager you'll get a hankering to find some of these places. I know, I did. And I went and found, and it was COOL.

There's something to do. Yep!

14. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I've gone ghost town hunting before! It is SO much fun!!

15. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    Hmm... A March activity perhaps?

16. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    you read my mind ;)

17. ENIGMA2006

ENIGMA2006 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    Hello everyone.
    I hope everyone is doing well. I'm bored.
    My job sucks. I do relay calls for the "deaf." 95% of the calls are fake or people from other countries trying to buy things with fake or stolen credit cards.
    I'm new to The Fan Force and to the forums. I've loved Star Wars ever since I can remember.
    I'm a gamer, but I don't get to play as often as I'd like to. Oh well, that's life.
    I hate gas prices.
    I applied for the Amazing Race! I hope I get on, I think it would be a lot of fun. I know it will be hard work, but I know it would be a blast.
    I'm looking for a new job.
    It's hard to find a night job. (2-10 or something similir)I need one so I can go to school during the day.
    It's my wife's birthday. Happy Birthday Kelci!
    I get off of work in half an hour.
    Not soon enough.
    I just got Lego Star Wars, it is a great game! I'm excited for the second one!
    My wife is going to California next week. I wish I could go too. Her Grandma is retiring, so all the girls are going there for a big party. So next Saturday I will watch all six Star Wars movies;) It will be fun!
    There was talk about the guys going to St. George, but I haven't heard anything else about it.

Thanks for reading this!

18. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    You do the phone thing for the deaf?? That is SO COOL!! When I was working at 1-800-Contacts I had a phone call from a service that did that. I did a whole call through the 'translator'. I think that is so great that you do that!
    I hear your typing skills have to be incrediable to do that!

19. ENIGMA2006

May 21, 2006
    They want it to be at least 50 wpm. Sometimes I can get 55-60 wpm, but only on good days. If there wasn't all of the fraud calls it would be a lot better. The pay isn't bad though.

20. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I was supposed to do that during a temp agency thing I was with. Didn't really want to do that, I've been on the recieving end of many of them when I worked for ZCMI. I don't think I would want to repeat what some of the people would say to us.

But now I work with 2 deaf clients and it's fun, I'm trying to brush up on my sign but finding time between school and work is rather difficult.

21. ENIGMA2006

May 21, 2006
    SOS Staffing? That's the agency I went through. Yeah, some people say stuff that I hate repeating.

22. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Yes it was SOS. I'm so very glad I'm no longer with them. It's an okay company but 5 years as a temp was enough for me.

23. ENIGMA2006

May 21, 2006
    I don't blame you. I'm looking for a new job. I thought this would be a good one with school and everything, but I'm tired of phones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.