main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ghost Towns Around the World

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I've done a little searching on the Internet regarding ghosts towns in the United States after a conversation between my parents about flooding following a recent heavy rain here in my section of the country. After doing a search for ghost towns in my state, I was surprised to discover that one town near where I live in the western section of NC was abandoned after the Flood of 1940. We may have visited the general area before, but if so, I don't remember it at all.

What ghost towns have you heard of, if any exist, in your state (or country?)

2. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm living in one.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I looked up ones in the state of Michigan for this thread, and I found this one, which happened to be near a lumber camp in the Upper Peninsula. I think we can all guess what was going on there, based on its name.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
  5. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Hmm?

Just Kidding. LOL. The Senate can't be considered a real ghost town, though.

6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    http://boards.theforce.net/forums/the-senate-floor.10320/

7. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    And I modified my reply appropriately, once I realized the joke.

8. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I take it you're in the mountains?

I've never researched this so you probably know more than I do about ghost towns between Charlotte and the Tennessee border.

10. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Ruddock and Wagram, Louisiana. Ruddock was a lumber town, and Wagram was a German settlement. They were located on the isthmus between Lake Maurepas and Lake Pontchartrain.

They were two of three towns completely destroyed by the New Orleans Hurricane of 1915. The third town, Frenier, was rebuilt and survives today.
    The only things left of Ruddock and Wagram are the foundations of buildings and one paved road that leads to a few other towns.

11. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Yeah. There's a couple of ghost towns between Charlotte and Tennessee, but I've only been to one (I think). I suppose a visit to Fontana Dam when I was a child with my family could qualify as well, since I found out there's one or two ghost towns around that area. But I don't really know that much.

12. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I'd love to live in a ghost town

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    For a serious response to this thread, does anyone know much about Centralia, Pennsylvania which is said to have been the inspiration for the Silent Hill video game/films?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There's a neat documentary about Centralia available on Hulu. The Town That Was, I think.

I've been to Calico, a ghost town outside a silver mine.

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Centralia, Pennsylvania was also the basis behind this movie:

[​IMG]

16. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bodie, California. When the gold ran out, the people ran out. Since the town is at such a high elevation and so remote, it was very difficult and
    expensive to ship materials and supplies to and from the place; when it went bust, the former population simply left everything behind.

17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Been to Bodie. It is worth a visit. Eerie little town.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Why don't the homeless people move there?

19. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Yeah, I discovered that article about Centralia while I was doing some searching yesterday. What I really found interesting was the fact that the mine fire spread and led to another town being abandoned. What I don't understand, though, is why the fire still hasn't been fully contained after 50 years. Even though it is burning in a coal deposit, is there still absolutely no way for firefighters to try to contain it, especially with the technological advances in the last few decades?

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    There is nothing to do that's worth the risk of doing it.

21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I don't know about ghost towns nearby but if I had the chance, I'd like to visit Chernobyl one day. I know it's risky due to radiation exposure so maybe I'll save it for after I have kids :p

22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/sanantonio.html

I have driven through here twice every weekend the last month (not entirely dead).

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/sanmarcial.html

I drive past here too. (Dead and owned by Ted Turner)

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/dawson.html

I've driven past here around five or six times this summer. It used to be a town of 12,000, and now it's totally gone. When the mine closed down they sold the town. (Not to Ted Turner. But he owns the Vermejo ranch on the other side of the highway).

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/colfax.html

Driven past this one too.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/swastika.html

Swastika, NM. I went to the Raton museum and they had a large sign that said, "Use Swastika Coal". This whole area used to be a very bustling mining community, but the mines in Raton closed down about ten years ago, and I don't know if there are any other mines nearby open.

Rural New Mexico is shrinking. The big "cities" are growing, as are some of the larger towns, but the old towns of a few thousand are disappearing. We lost quite a few of them in the 20th century.

23. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Because the Scooby Doo villains kick them out.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  24. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    And I don't know if you could rightly consider them "ghost towns"...but abandoned amusement parks are always fun too.
    [​IMG]

25. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Let us not speak of that cinematic abortion ever again.