main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ghost Towns Around the World

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    New Orleans amusement park, huh? Interesting.

Anyway, I've been doing some more reading about Centralia - found several news articles from the last few years online and some pictures. I was surprised to learn that it was nearly 20 years after the fire started before it became dangerous enough to the town that most of the residents left. I didn't even know it was possible to have fires burning underground, but now that I think about all the mining that's been done in the US and all that entails, it makes sense.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd love to take a country or even world wide journey focusing on abandoned dwellings. I would wonder how fast that woudl get old, and if a person might needs shots of some sort as with all the rust and grime and general uncleanliness I would think too much exposure could lead to sickness.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Not just any New Orleans amusement park....that's Six Flags.

The reason it's still there and most of the rides are intact is the amount of legal wrangling between Six Flags and the city of New Orleans. Six Flags signed a lease on the property, but after Katrina, they renegged on the deal. THEN...they tried to go back to the property and disassemble it, but the city evicted them completely. So, until someone takes up the lease (rumored to be a company called Southern Star who would renovate the park as a private enterprise) or buys out the property (rumored to be a developer wanting to turn the site into a shopping mall), it's going to just sit and rot away.

4. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    If Six Flags is the only amusement park in New Orleans, I would hope the park could be renovated instead of demolished completely. Another shopping mall? Riiiight.