main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Don't Cross The Streams! The Ghostbusters Franchise (Afterlife, Frozen Empire)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 28, 2014.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes, to Anthony Michael Hall! I wonder if he was asked and turned it down, or not even considered. I'm not an Ed Helms fan. He's good in small doses and pretty much ruined the final seasons of The Office. (I guess I can assign some blame on Steve Carell leaving and for the writers not ending the show with his departure.)

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I bet he wasn't even offered. Helms is more in right now.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I liked Helms on the Daily Show, but not much else. Even in the Hangover, he was kind of a generic character that could have been played by anyone really. Jason Sudeikis would have brought more to that role imo.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm pretty sure Hall was barely considered and not even asked. He hasn't been able to carry a movie in a long time and the success of "The Dead Zone" TV series is too far apart from where "Vacation" is now.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think it sounds creepy at all. It sounds like a plea for mercy.

What sounds creepy about it?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    This is why it sounds creepy.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I still don't agree with this movie (at all) but I will say this in defence of Paul by quoting one of his tweets:

It may not be my Ghostbusters any longer, but those guys will always be a material fact in that I can always revisit those films. If Paul's vision of Ghostbusters enables children of this generation to develop an attachment to Ghostbusters in the way it did for me, then I suppose there's a selfishness on my part in damning the movie to hell.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I'm just not a fan of the term "letting it happen" as a saying in any way so definitely skeeved out by that bit.

One of the twitterings seemed to imply that this isn't a completely continuity free remake, I know they have some OG Ghostbusters in it but they aren't playing their characters - however, I am very open to some sort of way of connecting the two continuities if that happens. Remake, nay, retcons, yay!

10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    This is, of course, sheer idiocy, and you should feel stupid for making the connection.

It's a Ghostbusters movie. No one is being raped, or in any way violated, by it.

And, of course, no one actually has to see it.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Not sure why you feel you need to insult me when you asked a question "why is this creepy?"

Not a good way to entice a conversation, but excellent way to troll someone.

12. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Yeah, that was uncalled for, CT-867-5309. I agree that what Feig said wasn't intended to invoke a pro-rape internet meme, but that's no reason to tell someone they "should feel stupid". [face_plain]

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In this day and age I don't know how to take "just let it happen" without thinking of the obvious parallel above...

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes, I'm trolling someone who made a connection between a movie coming out and rape. Of course, I knew what the response was going to be, but by questioning you, I provided you with an opportunity to re-examine. And I provided you with the actual meaning of his comment, which should have been obvious, anyway. That was the point of my comment. I gave you a chance to back out. But you just ignorantly barreled right through it.

Honestly, the connection is kinda offensive. I mean, it's maddening.

The comparison itself is offensive and makes light of actual rape.

But it's an even worse, far worse, comparison when the context is considered.

He's responding to a bunch of misogynists who are spewing misogyny 24/7...all over the fact that the new Ghostbuster movie's main cast is all women. These people are just that pissed that women get to bust Ghosts.

And, of course, it shows absolutely no empathy to the author of those tweets. The guy is at the end of his rope. He even said it himself, he's hit a wall with all the hate he's been getting. He's, quite obviously, asking for mercy. He's asking people to stop. In this very stupid connotation you've imagined, he's not the one raping, he's the one getting raped, and asking people to stop.

But the only response he gets is that "just let this movie happen" is creepy and carries a rape connotation. The only thought he gets is one that associates his words with rapists. The guy who's been on the receiving end of hateful misogyny for months. But he's the creepy rapist in all of this.

To see "just let this movie happen" and think of rape? Okay, whatever. But to voice that without thinking of the actual legitimacy of that thought? Incredibly insensitive and absolutely idiotic. Your mind should have went "this really doesn't have anything to do with rape, in fact it has connections to anti-misogyny". But it didn't.

Your response was bad and you should feel bad. It made me feel bad, and I didn't even make it.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If I never see a comparison between rape and anything else again, it will be too soon, from "George Lucas raped my childhood" to this to, well, anything that isn't actually rape.

And yes, please let the movie happen, don't go see it if it bothers (general) you that much that there are women ghostbusters.

I'll tell you what I've found creepy from the outset: people making a bigger deal out of this than other reboots/sequels of 80s movies (which, to be fair, should seldom if ever be rebooted).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So only people who are transcendentally enlightened did not make that connotation at all. Got it.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "You've been ranting at me and my cast for months with misogyny and insults. So go **** yourself. Good night."

=D=

You know what would be much worse than "letting this movie happen"?

Giving the sexist trolls their way, and NOT letting it happen.

You know what else would have been worse?

Feig being merciful or considerate to Twitter ***holes who send misogynistic insults over a several month period.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm not in favor of any reboot or remake of Ghostbusters since I find it unnecessary, but I haven't been against them making the movie, nor railing at them on Twitter. I only commented above on the one thing Feig said that's pretty problematic. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm not against this new Ghostbusters flick. I don't think of it as a reboot or remake because they're not recasting the original characters, but rather creating new characters and new setting; kind of like Star Trek: The Next Generation. From the reports I've heard and the cast, it sounds pretty funny. I know I'll definitely see the film.

I've been to numerous comic conventions and Ghostbusters definitely has it's following as I've seen quite a few cosplayers (both male and female). I believe there something akin to the 501st organization for Ghostbusters.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Ya, was at Boston Comic-Con last year and they had a group doing it. They looked amazing.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Keeping an open mind being equated to rape?

Wut?

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Frankly, I'm pretty darn excited for this movie, and I'm fairly certain it'll be better than 2.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I vaguely remember anything about Ghostbusters 2

Sigourney Weaver Joins ‘Ghostbusters’ Reboot

It’s currently unclear whether the actress will be reprising her role of Dana Barrett.

EDIT: This bit of news both makes me happy and sad. Happy that Sigourney Weaver will make an appearance. Sad that I am reminded that Harold Ramis isn't alive anymore. Ramis and Murray always played well of each other.

I hope Rick Moranis gets a call to be part of the film as he was big part of the original.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This is what I have to say on the subject of childhood being ruined.

Okay, it's not my words, but it covers everything.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ One of the funny things about that video is the actors sitting at the table complaining about their childhood being ruined most likely weren't born even born at the time the TV shows/movies were originally aired/released. Except maybe for Sponge Bob.

I personally never said any remake or reboot ruined my childhood. Actually, I bad remake or reboot typically makes the original all the more endearing to me.