main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Don't Cross The Streams! The Ghostbusters Franchise (Afterlife, Frozen Empire)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 28, 2014.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    agreed. there is so very very much wrong with that Drac39 post

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's probably the wrongest post in the history of the internet.

FOr a start, he still does outright funny. See Zombieland.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    A Ghostbusters reboot? This is even worse than the sequel idea.

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    What if they make a mistake and Bill Murray ends up making Garfield sequels and nothing else for perpetuity?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Don't worry. Nowadays they'll call anything a reboot. It's just a buzz word. Idoubt they have any idea whether it's going to be a sequel or not.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Paul Feig said otherwise to Entertainment Weekly.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I retract my statement, then.

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I hate reboots, ughhhhhhhhh.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Who cares. It's not like Ghostbusters had a complex continuity or anything like that. It's simply going to be a different movie about dorks hunting spirits.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Remaking Ghostbusters is a bad idea, doesn't matter if the leads are women, men, or somewhat snarky gophers. Just a bad idea in general. There's been a wasteland of fairly crappy remakes populating the film landscape the past decade or so and, in the end, they're just remembered as crappy remakes. Seems like a giant waste of time.

12. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This is not a remake.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's not a Ghostbusters sequel. It's not Ghostbusters 3. And it's set in a world where no one had seen or heard of Ghosts before. That is a remake. As the writer / director has stated above:

It's going to be another forgettable remake of a classic film. It'll be added to the pile and maybe shelved beside the original when it's all said and done. And Feig's flick will probably end up being cheaper.

Sarge likes this.
  14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    This is not remaking ghostbusters.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not happy about the reboot aspect, but I'm still supporting this project on the grounds that it will cause misogynistic fanboys to have aneurysms, and that's ALWAYS hilarious.

16. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    If it's an all-female group they sooner or later are going to aim those Proton Streams at each other.

Sarge likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Okay, I'll bite. Keep in mind this is not a sequel or set in the same world as the first two Ghostbusters movie. How is a group of people coming together for the very first time in the world to create "Ghostbusters" in a film (probably) called "Ghostbusters" not a remake?

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Remakes follow more-or-less the same script/plot. Reboots have different stories.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If this movie is not about a group of (male, female, whatever) scientist people, an original origin story as Feig stated, starting up a Ghostbusters crew in New York City, I'll eat my hat.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, I have no doubt it will be painfully similar.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually do subscribe to the "reboot is not the same origin story" theory. Batman Begins is not a remake of Tim Burton's Batman, Amazing Spider-Man is not a remake of Spider-Man. I would call those reboots.

However, Ghostbusters plot is "failed scientist people start Ghostbuster franchise on unbelieving populace, save New York", I can't see this movie deviating from that very significantly. In the case of Batman Begins and Amazing Spider-Man, they gave mostly different characters than their "original, origin movies" and different plots (in the case of Batman Begins, that's realllllly different from the '89 Batman. ASM is only superficially similar to SM). Feig's Ghostbusters would have to be the pretty much the exact same framework as the original Ghostbusters to be Ghostbusters. You can muck of the origin details of Batman and Spidey and still land in generally the same spot but Ghostbusters is a very specific structure to land on an outcome that is still Ghosbusters. Smells more like a remake to me.

22. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    please read the things you are saying.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    That will probably be funnier than the movie it's self

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I hope they go full-meta by having the ladies battle the ghost of an indignant Harold Ramis.

What, too soon?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

They're going to steal and redo the big iconography from Ghostbusters because that is all they have to work with. Batman Begins and Amazing Spider-Man gave different villains and a different plot. They had decades of comic book stories to take elements from. That's a reboot. This is a single movie (that everyone knows, nobody really remembers Ghostbusters 2). This is going to be a remake. But, hey, you wanna think Paul Feig's Ghostbusters movie where a bunch of disgraced scientists (with most likely the names Venkman, Zedemore, etc. like the original characters) fight ghosts (with most likely the first big one being Slimer) start up a Ghostbusters franchise and save the city (from a big bad Ghost which will most likely be Gozer and they will very likely fight Stay Puft Marshmellow man) is not a remake of the original Ghostbusters, please, be my guest!