main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Tenken, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55912

I dunno... After seeing the clip above ^^^^^^

They may have to rename this "GI Joe: The Rise of Utter Crap"

The only bright side... Baroness and Scarlett =P~

2. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    More like "GI Joe: The Fall of my Interest".

I was never a Joe fan. I will wait for this one for sure.

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Yeah, that clip looked all manner of wrong.

Never a fan of the show, either. But this just looks down to the level of Dragonball Evolution and Streetfight the Legend of Chun Li.

4. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    I was a big fan of the show, enough to have a cobra henchmen costume that some of you may have seen at wondercon, but the clips of the movie foreshadow the new movie might possibly end up to be very campy.

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Supposedly it's not based on the TV show, but on the comic book.

I'd just like to see Snake Eyes cut a guy in half. ;)

6. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    When you hear these kind of rumors, your movie is already in trouble:

Has G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra director Stephen Sommers been fired only a couple of months before the film's release?

No, producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura told Latino Review.

The rumor surfaced in a post by someone called "EndTimes" on the posting board of producer Don Murphy.

"After a test screening wherein the film tested the lowest score ever from an audience in the history of Paramount, the executive who pushed for the movie Brad Weston had Stephen Sommers, the super hack director of the film fired. Removed. Locked out of the editing room," the post said.

According to the rumor, the studio brought in Stuart Baird to edit the film into releasable shape, with Paramount's input.

"It's very unfair to Steve, it's completely untrue. He was never asked to leave or been fired or any of that," di Bonaventura told Latino Review. "That's ridiculous. The movie tested very well."

He added: "It hurts a guy's career when people go around talking about that he was fired or he didn't do a good job, and truth is he did a really good job. People are going to enjoy the movie, and the test audiences enjoyed the movie."

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is slated for release on Aug. 7.

Source: SciFiWire

7. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Then why see Transformers then? :confused:

9. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    No, I meant Micheal Bay did a good job with Transformers, action, explosions... etc. He should of directed GI Joe since they're from the same era of action 80s cartoons. Now it's gonna be the Rise of Utter Crap with GI Joe

10. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Dagnabbit! As much as I dislike Michael Bay, at least he knows the right buttons to push for a summer action movie.

Stephen Sommers is the Director that brought us Van Helsing.

11. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    I don't get the anti -Bay movement. I know some films maynot be the most story driven films out there, but if you just want to see flash-flash-flash... you know where to go. Can't wait for Transformers... but I CAN wait for Joe.

12. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Yeah Micheal Bay does some good pew pew. =D=

13. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    In the "stuff that goes boom" department, Bay is a master. Sommers is a wannabe. The first Mummy was legitimately fun, with good effects and fun story, then he wrote and directed the next Mummy which had a bigger budget and cheaper looking effects. He wrote and directed Van Helsing. He wrote and produced the 2 Scorpion King movies and the last Mummy. But since his movies still make money despite how much they are disliked (audience and critics), he gets to make more movies.

14. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    7/8 of the reviewers on rotten tomatoes liked it, and not it has an 88%. Let's see if it keeps that percentage after opening weekend...
    I think I might actually give this movie a try this weekend...

15. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I sense a trap.

16. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Yeah... I think I'll wait for our VIP to do his duty and find it somewhere magically. Those stupid Halo suits were totally utterly retarded. The good things will be Snake Eyes doing his ninja thing and Baroness and Scarlet. =P~

17. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    I'll be the Guinea Pig and be the first to watch this... wish me luck...

18. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    No such thing as luck so may the Force be with you Blu Ray.

Best part of the movie will be Snake Eyes and/or Baroness & Scarlet cat fight. haha...

19. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    a swing and a miss

20. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    and now we know, and knowing is half the battle! [face_flag] GI JOE...... Rise of Utter Crap! [face_laugh]

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    That's just one opinion. I liked it! With everyone's rumblings of it being really bad, expectations were admittedly low, but with that said, I thought it was a pretty good popcorn summer flick, like Transformers. I know my nephews will love this, and with the way it ended, I'm sure the sequel is already in the works!

Ray was great as always, and the Scarlett and Baroness fight - yum! =P~

22. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    I wasn't the one who said it was utter crap, and Matt's right, it was a good summer explosion flick, but I just think they missed alot of opportunities. Some things I liked about the movie were: Stormshadow, he was awesome, possibly more awesome than snake eyes, Baroness was hot hot hot. My biggest beef with the movie was the numerous dissimilarities with the source material. The transformers movies feel nostalgic, this movie changed too many elements from the comics and TV show. It barely felt like G.I. Joe, and more like Team America: World Police.

But then again, that's just one man's opinion and it isn't meant to start an argument

23. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    lol... no argument here. I haven't seen it, so I can't really say anything other than conjecture and assumptions from the information at hand. From those assumptions there was enough reason for me at least to not see it. ALthough I did make the call that the ninjas would be cool :cool: and the Baroness and Scarlet cat fight would be awesome. =P~

24. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    I agree with Matt ! Personally I really liked it. Better than Transformers 2 for me. It was brought into the "now"& not faithful to the old GI Joe, but so was Michael Keaton's Batman & I liked that a lot too. I want to see it again. The Nanomite technology was a rip off of the Vong technology that ate Kyp's X Wing in Vector Prime & they even had ooglith masquers- for the EU fan ;)

25. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    lol... Other than maybe couple of others here I'm the only one that knows exactly wth you just said and wth you're just talking about... The Vong use biotechnically enhanced weapons everyone and attack the Star Wars galaxy in The New Jedi Order series of novels. Although when Kyp's Dozen and Two Avengers (minus a dozen after their first engagement with the Vong, not including his apprentice Miko Reglia), I just remember they were decimated by coral skippers and their "molten rock" like projectiles and such. Ooglith Masquers eh? Did it cause extreme pain when putting it on and off to honor Yun Yuuzhan whenever they used it? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.