main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Giants sign Bonds!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    There goes the season.

As a Giants fan, I am utterly dissapointed.

We need to get yougner...And this is not the way to do it.

16 million bucks for one year.

:mad:

2. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Giants probably could have gotten him for alot less. I doubt any other teams even wanted him. He is only popular in the Bay Area, the rest of the country can't stand the guy, or at least the rest of the country's sports writers.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    SF will bring in a ton of money just from the tickets he'll sell there, though.

And that probably wouldn't apply to most other teams, not that most other teams were interested in signing him anyways.

Apparently theres $4 million more in incentives... I wonder if its like "$1 million if he hits 22 HRs" :p

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    *yawn*

wake me up when the feds sign Bonds to a 25 year contract. That's about the only Bonds news I want to hear.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    =D=

6. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    So, I take it you are implying that the feds should put Bonds in jail. If so, you have already convicted an innocent until proven guilty man of some heinous wrongdoing. This is a pipe dream in your, and I would imagine lots of other peoples, head(s). This will never happen. Are you a fan of illegal wiretaps to obtain incriminating evidence to convict? If so, then you should be all for using Bonds' grand jury testimony(unclear at best) to try to convict him. Otherwise, you and lots of others are hypocrites who should shut the hell up and leave the innocent until proven guilty alone. You probably want O.J. to get the gas chamber don't you? Even though a jury of his peers found him innocent when he was on trial. Bonds isn't even on trial, except in the court of public opinion. And you know what, last time I checked, public opinion doesn't mean jack in a court of law.

EDIT:
    If you're really a Giants fan as you claim, you shouldn't be disappointed. Either that or you are also uninformed about what the Giants were doing this offseason. The Giants tried unsuccessfully to sign pretty much every big name free agent outfielder this offseason. They tried to sign Carlos Lee, Juan Pierre, tried to trade for Manny Ramirez, Gary Matthews Jr, and Alfonso Soriano although the club may not have realistically had a shot at Soriano, they had enough money for the deals on the others and the players themselves chose to go elsewhere. It's not like the Giants weren't trying to become younger and to fill needs.

However, you really need to look at 2 things when it comes down to Barry Bonds playing for the Giants and ultimately resigning for another year.

1. He puts asses in the seats, which puts money in the owners pockets, which means they have more money to make the team better in the future. The Giants have had over 3 million in attendance since Pac Bell(SBC/AT&T) Park opened in 2000. Why? Barry Bonds.

2. He is 22 homers shy of breaking what some claim is the most hallowed record in all of professional sports. He has hit the last 558 of his homers as a San Francisco Giant. Can you imagine the loss in publicity and potential advertising that the Giants would lose out on if they allowed Bonds to leave and he ended up breaking the record with a different team? Also, the All-Star game will be in San Francisco this year. Could you imagine the Giants hosting the All-Star game after having let go their biggest star and one of the biggest spectator draws in all of professional sports? It would be devastating to the Giants marketing and fan support before a huge fan-driven event like the All-Star team to let go the reason a lot of fans come to see the Giants.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Are you a fan of illegal wiretaps to obtain incriminating evidence to convict?

Should this be permissible in court? No.

However, it can and will be used as far as public opinion, and when evidence such as that is available it usually means theres other evidence of guilt out there, even if not yet found, that IS permissible in court.

8. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    16 million dollars for one year. That's ridiculous, he isn't worth that much, though I am fairly glad to see him back.

9. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    "That's ridiculous, he isn't worth that much, though I am fairly glad to see him back."

LOL...that's great! Have fun with him, and the circus that he'll bring along with him...espceailly when it comes time to break Hank's record.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd like to know how he walked away with as much. I really doubt Bonds would want to play anywhere else, because I doubt he'd be welcome in any other stadium. You'd have thought the Giants would have used that to their advantage a little more, when negotiating.

11. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Hold on, Pettitte got $16 million as well, and Bonds is far, far more valuable and lucrative: I think it's pretty fair considering he can fill the seats even if the Giants stink.

12. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I think it's probably fair to say that Bonds will get the organization a nice profit even with his 16 million dollar salary. Between attendance (and all the money that comes with that--ticket sales, beer sales, etc) and jerseys and memorabilia, I'm sure they'll make quite a nice profit.

Still, I think I agree with ASG in that the management could probably have gotten Bonds for less. He wasn't going to go anywhere else and we all know that.

13. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    But keep in mind the Cardinals were used as leverage in the process, and in this market, everyone was overpaid. Why not a guy who could break a hallowed record? If a 32 year old center fielder with one great year could get a five year $50 million deal...

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Honestly, I think there's been quite a few ridiculous deals this offseason.

15. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    There's an understatement if I ever read one.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Aren't there always quite a few ridiculous deals every offseason?

Its seemed like that the last few years at least to me.

But yes, I do think this is among them.

17. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Yes, but those are for superstars: mediocre guys like Lilly, Meche and Matthews, Jr got huge deals. Things were pretty sane after 2001 and before this year.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    True, there are more this year. And not so many true stars available.

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It's the only city that cares for him. I gotta say it was shocking to hear that no one else wanted to sign him. Not for the money he was asking for. That was with the added bonus of knowing Bonds would be wearing their uniform when he breaks the record. Says something right there.

None of the other teams want to go anywhere near Bonds and that mess. Good for them.

20. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    That'll be another ringless season for him then.

21. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Judging by his actions and who signed him, do you think he's more concerned about money or winning a title?

I'd say the offers must've been pretty low for him to move. I think he wanted to, but the money was highest in SF. If that's the case, it looks like it's more about money then it is about winning it all.

Any idea if the Yankees made a serious go at him? After Giambi, I wouldn't think so.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I got the impression that no other team made a serious effort to get him, and that only a few teams at most even thought about it.

23. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The last thing the Yankees need is another DH, and that is all the Bonds is good for. Besides (I am a New Yorker and Yankees fan), the sports media here thinks Bonds in not only a loser, but a joke, and everyone I know here (yanks fans, mets fans, etc.) all can't stand the guy and think he is just a used up juicer. I still can't believe the amount SF offered him, as I don't think any other team would have offered him even 4 million. There is a good chance he won't even play the season as he is so old, and after last years "injury problems" might not even get the record, so it is a gamble that he'll even get to violate one of baseball's most sacred records.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Can't wait to see the book thorwn at him. He IS the steroid case. Really I'm getting sick of all this steroid talk myself. Not that I like Bonds or anything but when Roger Clemens was accused of steroid use no one believed it. This has turned into a good ol fashioned witch hunt which will end when Bonds is punished IMO

25. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Way to much money and I really hope he doesn't break Aaron's record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.