[GIFs] Mark Hamill's great acting mired by shoddy stunts, and other goofs

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dport41, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dport41 Jedi Youngling

2. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    That's not a problem with his acting so much as it is with the stunt's execution.
  3. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Yeah, it not Hamills fault the stunt guy didnt stick his head over further, heh.
  4. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Just a simple Force Kick...
  5. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Yep..

Luke's version of the force push.
  6. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The stuntman not wanting to get booted in the face has nothing to do with Mark Hammill's acting skills.

7. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I agree with everyone else. That had nothing to do with Mark's acting skills. Actors are supposed to do that. It's the job of the stuntman to be close enough and make it look realistic, and it's the job of the director to notice it. The stuntman pulled didn't do his job right, and Marquand didn't notice it. That's their fault, not Mark's.

And if that nearly ruined the movie for you, then you must take your stunts very seriously. :p
  8. Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, to be fair, it is a fairly obvious stage combat faux-pas, but I agree, it certainly doesn't have anything to do with Hamill's acting skills.
  9. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    Beyond the other points made, I'd like to say that Hamill's acting overall was excellent. Without Hamill, Yoda wouldn't have been nearly as believable in ESB.
  10. Darth_Davi Jedi Master

star 4
    In addition to what has been said, that clip made it past George Lucas when he was editing as well. Its obvious he misses, but, seriously, Lucas must have felt it was close enough not to require a re-shoot. Its a movie, sometimes things happen. We could also get into Oola's nipple slip, the stormtrooper hitting his head, the transparent snowspeeder on Hoth, etc, but, sometimes the film maker just misses stuff. Its not Mark Hamill's fault the stuntman didn't make it look real enough. Hamill is an actor, not a stuntman. The stuntman needs to make him look good, not the other way around.
  11. dport41 Jedi Youngling

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    So, should the thread title be changed to "stuntman bloopers" or "editing oversights" or some such? Because the talking points so far posted have nothing whatever to do with acting, terrible or otherwise.
  13. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    the stormtrooper hitting his head
    Lucas did catch that in editing, but decided to leave it in.
  14. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    They even amplified the sound effect of the helmet for the SE.
  15. Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's an all time classic movie blooper. They do a great bit with it with the stormtroopers at Star Wars Weekends.
  16. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    And Lucas even referenced it in AOTC when Jango whacks his head on Slave I.
  17. Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've never seen that. I'll have to slow-mo it next time I watch it. Is it during the battle on the landing platform?
  18. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    It's even reappeared in one of the recent Season 2 TCW episodes!
  19. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It's when he escapes into his ship.
  20. Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'll check it out. Thanks guys!
  21. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    [GIFs] Mark Hamill's great acting mired by shoddy stunts, and other goofs

Best thread title change EVAR. =D=

Hamill's terrific performance in ANH is also marred, at one point, by shoddy FX -- namely, the white/green/what-the-heck-color-is-that? light saber on-board the Falcon.
  22. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I don't think those lightsabers effects really marred his performance at all. Sure they effects there are pretty bad, but I don't think it really drags down his own acting.
  23. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Excellent choice of title change. :D

And clearly the stormtrooper hitting his head in ANH was "enhanced" in the SE to make fans argue more about whether or not stormies are clones. :p
  24. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Thank you I'm here all week

I thought of another gif-worthy (though somewhat less self-explanatory) one that's actually mis-acted, but by Ford instead of Hamill. Cuz RotJ was on TV today and the minute I watched during Millionaire's commercial break was when they approach the Pit of Carkoon and still-almost-blind-Han throws a quirky glance at Skywalker. Sure, he knew he was standing right there, but he shouldn't have looked him right in the eyes, no matter how dreamy blue they are :p

Best gif ever is Han groping Leia on Endor anyway...
  25. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    There is something that beats the .gif of Han groping Leia, though. Darthipedia has an in-game image from KOTOR 2 where one of the Mandalorians at the base camp is meant to be using a computer, like he's typing, but instead he's groping the Jedi Exile. [face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.