main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Gift Ideas for that Special Certain Someone

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Lord_Melkor, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Lord_Melkor

Lord_Melkor Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2005
    for those of you that are still unsure what to get that special someone in your life you may want to consider a potato bug...they make great pets...small, easy to care for and make little to no noise and best of all no poop to clean, they eat it

POTATO BUGS AS PETS?

There are nearly 35 species of Potato Bugs (Embryona Satanicus) in the world, of which only 25 to 33 have any man- or animal-threatening status. The rest are innocent members of the earth's fauna, and ? as disgusting as it may sound ? some make great pets.

Housing potato bugs in captivity poses three main problems. Firstly, most species come from moist, earthy, warm environments and therefore need to be kept at least 50ºF minimum to be happy.

Secondly, there is the problem of the potato bugs escaping and infesting the house. This problem is easily overcome by careful selection of species and cage structure. The cage needs to be escape-proof.

Thirdly, potato bugs are the most universally feared, hated and disgusting creatures on the planet. Guests in your house should be made well aware that you are keeping Satan?s spawn under the same roof with them.

HOUSING

As most species of potato bug are good climbers and can gnaw through 12-gauge steel mesh, a tight fitting lid is required made of a good quality 16-grade galvanized sheet steel with nail holes (no bigger) to allow for air flow. The walls of the cage should be galvanized steel backed with 5/8" plywood, carefully mitered at corners and reinforced with L brackets to prevent escape. Wood screws are preferred over nails for assembly, as potato bugs have been known to ram against the walls until the nails eventually loosen from the wood and work free, compromising the integrity of the structure, and allowing the creatures to infest your house and lay eggs in your ear canal or anus. The floor of the cage should be covered with wood shavings or peat for easy burrowing, lined below with: 1) 5/8" plywood treated with Thompson?s Water Seal. 2) A layer of galvanized steel. 3) Another layer of 5/8" plywood. The outside of the cage should be painted liberally with exterior latex to further help seal the materials, edges and seams.

FEEDING

All known species of potato bug are omnivorous (this means that, like you and me, they eat nearly everything) though in captivity most species do best on a mixture of dried feed/grains, fresh vegetables or fruit, human skin (old scabs), dead bugs or small animals. I feed mine mostly on oats and fruit, along with road-stunned cats or possums (they seem to like warm meat). NOTE: Although they don't need fresh meat every day, it is important that they always have enough to eat otherwise they will start eating the cage as well as each other.

BREEDING

As a general rule breeding will take care of itself; eggs are normally laid in an ootheca (nature?s answer to the polystyrene egg box). Some species will secrete these in the corners of the cage or other warm, accessible nooks and crannies throughout your house ? under appliances, near to the water heater, or sometimes on humans (ear canals, nostrils, anus) while you sleep.

2. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Oh no....not again!

3. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Whoa...

That sounds like an ad fron a 1960's comic book! I use to dig up Potato bugs back in California when I was a kid. Those things are freaky looking and used to give me nightmares.

4. Lord_Melkor

Jun 15, 2005
    dude, did you ever keep one as a pet?

5. bobasparxx

Nov 9, 2003
    Hell no, those things gave me nightmares...

6. Lord_Melkor

Jun 15, 2005
    i keep a few at home...they are better than watch dogs...i keep them on 16 guage chains...not only are they a great deterrant to people breaking into my house or yard but they also clean up the yard (dead leaves, grass, weeds, etc)and fertilize it...let me see if i can get a pic posted of my beware of potato bug signs around my yard

7. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    You're a freak, Carlos.

8. bobasparxx

Nov 9, 2003
    Those things look like there straight out of a John Carpenter movie...I could see why you'd use them to deter burglers.

9. Commander_Clem

Commander_Clem Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    We had a a pug for 3 weeks.....that was long enough. He now as a new home...:D

10. bobasparxx

Nov 9, 2003
    I read recently on the web that Californians are encouraged not to kill the Potato Bug because they are believed to be near extinction. Word!