main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Gilmore Girls] Something Something Something Coffee (50 Sentences Challenge - August) Set IV: 9/26

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: Something Something Something Coffee
    Fandom: Gilmore Girls[/link]
    Characters: Lorelei, Rory, Emily, Richard, Luke, Dean, Jess, Sookie, etc.
    Summary: Sometimes one sentence says it all.
    Notes: Written for the August 50 Sentence Challenge.

This is about twice as long as usual (thanks to my very butchered grammar), but so were the Gilmore Girls scripts, so it seems appropriate :p

this House is not a Holmes

01. Medical

Luke hated, absolutely hated being in hospitals?he didn?t like looking at sick and injured people?but when Lorelei got the call about her father, there was no hesitation.

02. Genius

Rory was smart?sometimes too smart for her own good, Lorelei thought?and as her daughter got older, Lorelei saw traces of her father in Rory; it bothered her a bit, but she wouldn?t change Rory for the world.

03. Unconventional

The Gilmore girls were best friends (it was easier because of the mere 16-year age gap)?and Lorelei ran the house that way: friends first, mother and daughter second . . . but even though she hated pulling the mom card, there were times when she felt she needed to.

04. Rough

Rory was out of the house; there was nothing stopping her from taking Max upstairs and?wait, weren?t the teenage girls supposed to be gone?

05. Bedside

Rory protested that she could sleep by herself, but after how close she had come that night to being even more seriously injured than she was, Lorelei wanted to be with her; it was even better when Chris showed up in the middle of the night and kept watch with her.

06. Manner

Lorelei tried to break the tension by starting an argument; how was she to know that Christopher?s father would respond by attacking her and her daughter?

07. Misanthropy

Luke put up barriers, but every once in a while, he showed that he appreciated Lorelei?s friendship . . . so Lorelei scheduled four Thanksgiving dinners and hoped her previous training in eating massive amounts of food would prepare her for the Eating Olympics.

08. Diagnosis

It was just a hairline fracture, the doctor assured her?multiple times?but Rory could have been killed; what was she thinking, letting Jess drive her car?

09. Buffer

Rory and Richard were out in the pool house; it was just Lorelei and Emily inside, and Lorelei felt very bereft without her usual buffer.

10. Teamwork

The Gilmore girls could do anything together?including eat multiple dinners, apparently (and since they?d left Richard and Emily?s early, there was no excuse for not grabbing some rolls).

11. Clinical

Her professor went straight to the point: Rory was flunking?and he wanted her to drop the class?

12. Duty

Lorelei didn?t want to tell Rory about the obligation dinners?better that she not know?but, of course, Rory found out; and seven years later, with Rory heading off for goodness-knew-where, Lorelei realized that those obligation dinners didn?t feel like so much of an obligation anymore.

13. Resignation

While Emily and Rory screamed at each other about the DAR, Richard and Lorelei thought it best to lay no on the couch.

14. Recruit

With Rory living in the house?well, the pool house, but close enough?not attending school and in need of a job, Emily thought it was the perfect opportunity to draw her granddaughter into the DAR.

15. Rugged

He was short tempered, often smelled like French fries, and somehow always managed to have two-day stubble on his cheeks?but suddenly he looked like a knight in shining armor (which he had been for her so many times before), and Lorelei couldn?t help but love him.

16. Crass

Jess said something pithy and to the point, but even though Rory looked shocked and said ?Jess!? she wasn?t in the le

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I broke down into a complete and utter squee fit when I saw these up - is there anything better than Gilmore Girls? I think not. :p

And the title - PERFECTION! :D [face_dancing]

And the sentences themselves . . .

Rough: [face_laugh] Classic scene. :p

Misanthropy: Best episode ever - and you covered it perfectly here. [face_love]

Duty: [face_love] I loved seeing Lorelai's relationship with her parents grow throughout the series - the scene in the last episode where she still says dinners are on makes me misty eyed. [face_love]

Rugged: And the smelling like french fries is always a bonus for Lorelai. [face_laugh][face_love]

Crass: And that is Jess' frankness in a nutshell. =D=

Insight: Amen. :cool:

Procedure: [face_love]!!!

Cane: Rune!! [face_laugh] Perfect. :p

Contagious: Oh, Paris . . . :p

Chronic: Oh! [face_love]

Artery: This should be the theme sentence of the set. Just so wonderfully them. :D

Patient: [face_laugh][face_love]

Terminal: Of course Lorelai tried. :p

Wonderful, wonderful sets! =D=

~MJ @};-

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mira: [face_laugh] I agree :D I love Gilmore Girls!!

Misanthropy: I love this episode :D
    Duty: Me too!! I think it?s so sweet how they bond, even through the ough patches.
    Rugged: Oh yes :D (And, to be honest, me too; I love fries :p )
    Crass: [face_laugh] I really like Jess.
    Cane: [face_laugh] Rune cracks me up :D
    Contagious: Paris is quite a character :p
    Chronic: Luke and Lorelei are the best pair of the series, hands down :D
    Artery: [face_laugh] Thanks!! It inspired the title :p
    Terminal: Of course :p

Thanks!!! :)

castles made of pen and paper

01. Pegged

Lorelei felt pinned into place; there was nothing she could do but accept her mother?s offer: The Gilmores would pay Rory?s Chilton tuition so she could get a good education and get into Harvard, and Rory and Lorelei would come every Friday for dinner.

02. Pen

Rory shoved aside all the letters from Dean and picked up her pen; she pulled out a clean sheet of paper and wrote ?Dear Jess,? then stared, wondering what she should say next.

03. Type

Jess so wasn?t Rory?s type?she liked good boys, not bad ones?but she couldn?t help feeling attracted to him; and they had so much in common . . . but she had Dean, she loved Dean?didn?t she?

04. Writer

Rory had always wanted to be a writer, and Lorelei encouraged her; Rory was good, really good, and she would make a fantastic reporter one day.

05. Cop

Emily absolutely couldn?t believe she?d been pulled over for talking on her cell phone while driving?didn?t these cops have anything better to do with their time, like arresting real criminals; but Lorelei thought it was absolutely hilarious, and even though her night with Chris had been interrupted, she was enjoying herself to the point where she was snapping photos at the police station.

06. Casting

As much as Rory was staying calm, Lorelei was absolutely beside herself with panic about what had happened; Lane, after some righteous anger at Jess, realized that her best friend was better served by calm acceptance and proceeded to decorate her cast.

07. Spark

Jason was absolutely not Lorelei?s type?in fact, he was exactly the kind of person she?d run away from?but when they met again, sparks flew; and even thought Lorelei knew they shouldn?t be doing this?Jason was her father?s business partner?she couldn?t help herself.

08. Chafe

Lorelei had always chafed under her parents? restrictions; her desire to break away from their rules was why she and Chris did so many things they weren?t supposed to do . . . including the thing that made them parents at 16.

09. Banter

The Gilmore Girls were always full of witty, fast-paced banter; Luke had learned long ago that he was never going to be able to keep up, so he kept his mouth closed and just poured the coffee.

10. Fuel

Breakfast was the most important meal of the day, so the Gilmore girls high-tailed it to Luke?s for coffee and a pastry before rushing off; despite Luke?s lectures, they didn?t usually stop for pancakes except on weekends.

11. Chasm

There had been a rift between Lorelei and her parents for all her life, and running away with Rory had only made it worse; Emily said she wanted what Lorelei and Rory had, but Lorelei didn?t think that would ever happen?they were too different.

12. Knockout

Her mother was pretty and vivacious, Lorelei had to admit, and she got a huge kick out of Emily being asked to dance by an older gentleman; apparently, in a 60/40 bar, Emily looked 40.

13. Footnote

Dean was around, but even though Rory didn?t actively try to avoid him after their final breakup, she didn?t see him much, and she preferred it that way; too much had happened for them to ever remain friends.

14. Annotation

Rory usually took extensive notes, but the huge binder the teacher handed her had her freaking out; if this was one weeks? worth of material (that she still needed more notes for) i

4. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    There needs to be more Gilmore Girls fanfiction on here, that is all I am saying - because reading these were just lovely on so many different levels. [face_love]

Pen: Ah, the most twisted and enjoyable of all of Rory's considerable guy drama. :p

Cop: Bwaha! I had forgotten about that. [face_laugh]

Casting: Great way to use the prompt! [face_laugh]

Banter: And the circle is complete. :p

Knockout: [face_laugh] I adore your focus on Emily and her relationship with Lorelai. And this was a priceless moment.

Muse: Oh for the love of squee, but that brought such a grin to my face. For all of Jess' numerous flaws, I adored how he turned out at the end of the series. [face_love] And he was a good reality check to Rory when she needed it the most. :)

Tension: So take THAT! Christopher. :p

Swagger: Eugh . . . I am glad that he found it within him to grow up to. :p :oops:

Precinct: :(

Homicide: There was so much to enjoy about this one - I just love the Luke/Taylor foe-mance that was snuck in there. [face_laugh]

Tip: [face_laugh]!! Only Lorelai. :p

Bestseller: This was probably my favorite one of the set. Just lovely.

Thank-you for sharing these, I am enjoying them more than words can say! :D

~MJ @};-

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mira: Aww, thank you!! (And I agree :D )

Pen: I enjoyed the Dean/Rory/Jess triangle (and I especially enjoyed that Jess won).
    Cop: I don?t like the seventh season much (not enough Luke/Lorelei!) but this episode was totally worth the Lorelei/Chris :D
    Casting: [face_laugh] Thanks :D
    Banter: [face_laugh]
    Knockout: Thanks!! I really liked the episode, and I really like moments when Emily and Lorelei are getting along.
    Muse: Me too!! I?m a huge Rory/Jess fan (even though he?s a bit of a jerk to Rory when they?re dating). I think he provided some much-needed perspective.
    Tension: YES! Chris is okay, but he?s nothing to Luke [face_love]
    Swagger: Me too (not that I ever liked him much).
    Precinct: Yeah :( (The only fun thing about this scene is that Colin and Finn actually were sweet, IMO, intending to get Rory and take her home. But otherwise, this sucked.)
    Homicide: I love a good foe-mance :D
    Tip: I know! I can?t remember the episode, or even the season, but I remember that Luke came after her once and she asked why he had walked after her because she hadn?t left her tip under the bottles or in change.
    Bestseller: Thanks!! As I said, I ?ship Rory/Jess :D

I?m glad you like them!! So I have more :D

the hows and the feels of the spine

01. Hands

Rory wrote furiously, her hand rushing across one page, then another, then another; she had no time to glance at the clock and see how much longer remained before the professor called ?time? and she was done with the exam.

02. Feet

?If the house was on fire, would you save Jess or your shoes?? Rory asked, and Lorelei wondered what kind of daughter she had raised who would give up shoes for a boy (especially this particular boy?Jess was probably the one who would start the fire, anyway).

03. Legs

Lorelei walked quickly down Main Street, happy about her daughter?s return; she purposely didn?t look toward Luke?s, instead surveying the hubbub of the festival set up, Taylor?s new way to spruce up August.

04. Arms

Luke didn?t hold her while she cried?he wasn?t that kind of guy, and that wasn?t their relationship?but he did pass her a doughnut, which was all the comfort she needed.

05. Chest

Lorelei kissed Luke?s chest and sat much; as much as she loved being with him and as great as it was to lay in bed beside him, she needed coffee?now.

06. Neck

Jess didn?t have any problems kissing Rory in public or nuzzling her neck, but she wanted to keep it circumspect out of respect for Dean; Jess didn?t have any respect for Dean and wanted to pretend Rory?s ex didn?t exist?didn?t she, too?

07. Back

It was three in the morning, and Lorelei Gilmore laid on her back in her bed, in the dark; for the first time in 21 years, she wasn?t sneaking down the stairs to her daughter?s bedroom to once again tell the story of her birth.

08. Elbow

Chris caught her elbow, but Lorelei jerked it away, fuming; Chris had left her, gone back to Sherri?who was pregnant!?and she didn?t want him touching her right now.

09. Hips

Luke put a hand on her hips as he led Lorelei around the dance floor, surprising her?who knew Luke Danes could waltz??and Lorelei thought. This is nice.

10. Knees

Rory spent most of the evening on her knees in the bathroom, throwing up after too much of Miss Patty?s Founders? Day punch, and Lorelei was disturbed not at her daughter?s current state, but at the fact that Rory was miserable because the boy she liked hadn?t called.

11. Support

After she thought about it, writing the letter for Luke was easy; he was a great father?after all, he?d supported Rory throughout her childhood (he?d made her birthday cake, he?d gotten get Christmas presents, he?d attended her high school graduation, and so much more).

12. Curve

Lorelei parked in her parents? oh-so-familiar curved driveway and took a deep breath, dreading this conversation; but she couldn?t pay for Rory to go to Chilton without some help, and that m

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These are hands down, by far my favorite fandom you have done sentences for. You have their banter and their wit and their lovableness all down pat. [face_love]

And that being said, you did a great job here with a tricky set of prompts. :D =D=

Some particular favorites from this set:

Feet: Anything but the shoes. [face_laugh]!

Arms: So perfectly perfect at every stage of their relationship. [face_love]

Neck: A very real point. Oh, how much fun with such a twisty web.

Hips: Indeed it is. [face_love]

Support: And I lost the battle not to squee here. This whole plot arc was one of the few gems of the seventh season, and you explressed that perfectly here.

Chin: The stuble can be its own character. :cool:[face_love]

Eyes: [face_laugh]!!!!!

Cleft: So there. [face_not_talking] :p

Heart: I love it when her claws came out there. [face_love]

Another excellent set! [:D]

~MJ @};-

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mira: Thanks!! They can be so hard to write because of their awesome banter, so I?m glad I?m doing it right!!

Feet: Well, shoes are very important :p
    Arms: I [face_love] L/L :D Thanks!
    Neck: I did love the Season 2 love triangle, and I was so glad when Jess finally won, but I did kinda feel bad for Dean.
    Hips: ?Luke can waltz? :D
    Support: I agree! (Otherwise, there wasn?t much going for Season 7.)
    Chin: [face_laugh]
    Eyes: I love that episode :D
    Cleft: [face_laugh]
    Heart: Me too! (If only it wasn?t for Logan 8-} )

Fourth set!

languidly leaning . . .

01. Lovely

The Gilmore girls thought they were absolutely lovely, strolling down the mall arm in arm like Eva Gardner; it was too bad that this window shopping business just made them want clothes they couldn?t afford even more.

02. Latent

Apparently Rory had a hidden ability to write sports stories (what the heck was lacrosse, really?), but she was having issues with a simple review?what was wrong with her writing?

03. Luminescence

Luke thought Lorelei was absolutely glowing when she ran into the diner and ordered all kinds of food; if he hadn?t been so distracted with the news about his daughter, he would have been, too?Rory was back.

04. Limber

Janet was limber and supple, and Rory was mildly jealous of her ability to stretch like that (the Gilmore girls didn?t do much in the way of exercise, unless you counted walking between the kitchen and the television), but Janet?s habit of waking up early to run or doing sit-ups in their common room drove Paris absolutely nuts.

05. Lanky

Dean was really tall (and made even taller because Rory was fairly small) and skinny, but he had enough muscles (there?that?s a use for sports, Rory thought) that he didn?t look like a string bean

06. Lofty

Working for the New York Times was a lofty goal, but Rory was determined to work hard and be good enough to get hired at her favorite newspaper.

07. Stony

Luke was wearing his habitual frown; he was often grumpy and displeased (why he ran a diner when he hated people eating trashy food, Lorelei couldn?t understand), and it was hard to make him smile?but when he did, his whole face lit up.

08. Labile

Dean had changed?graduated high school, started a job, gotten married, gotten divorced?but Rory had changed even more, and Dean realized that it wasn?t ever going to work for them?so he drove away, leaving Rory in tears, but he knew that, after the night was over?or even before?he would understand, and she would move on more quickly than he ever could.

09. Laveer

Luke walked face-first into the wind, stomping along the cold beach, Lorelei beside him; this vacation wasn?t going splendidly, but at least they were here together.

10. Lack

Even though Lorelei was with Christopher, she felt that her life was lacking something?and it was, but it wasn?t something she could ever get back by being with Chris . . . and that, more than anything, was the reason she left him.

11. Ludicrous

Dean?s accusation was ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous . . . and kind of, sort of true?Rory had let Jess interrupt her (their?her and Paris?s) evening, though she?d told Dean not to come, but it had been for her own reasons, not because Paris liked him; but Dean had no cause to be jealous, because she was with him, she loved him . . .

12. Lash

Dean?s accusation hit Rory like a whip, with all the stinging pain; he left her standing there, alone, in the middle of the dance floor, and walked away, and Rory couldn?t think of anything except, He?s right.

13. Lauriferous

Lorelei and Rory strung cranberries and popcorn on strings every year, and this year, they invited Gigi?Rory?s half-sister and Lorelei?s stepdaughter?to join them; Lorelei kept Gigi distracted by telling her that she did Santa?s laundry while she and Rory discussed The Letter.

14. Loquacious

Lorelei and Rory could?and di

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Another wonderful set! (And is it the fourth one already? Lies! ;))

Ludicrous: I loved how even her inner denial sounds like her rambling. Too perfectly done. :p

Lanai: Great job with the weird word! ;)

Leman: Aww!! This one - everything I adore about Luke and Lorelai and more!

Lacerate: Great point of view on an . . . interesting situation. :p

Limitation: And there can never be enough said about their capacity to chow! [face_laugh]

Lacuna: Nice way to use the prompt!

Lectual: Aw! I do adore these two, and this was definitely a golden moment to cover.

Levin: And perfect way to use this prompt. [face_love]

Lean: And this! The bonding theme, and perfect sentence to (almost) close the set out with. [face_love]

I am so glad you decided to write these! I enjoyed every one of them.

[:D]

~MJ @};-

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks!! I'm glad you liked them :) I had a lot of fun with this fandom :D