main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ginchy's gambit - UDC 3 - Complete - Replies and Extras - 3/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ginchy, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Title: ginchy's gambit
    Author: ginchy
    Timeframe: Various
    Characters: Various
    Author's Note: Well, this time around I thought I'd give the drabbles a try. I'm really hoping I can do this. Wish me luck! Thanks to Jade_Pilot for all of her help and encouragement, to RedGold for advising me to have a more common theme, and to Jade_eyes for the swift kick in the pants to get me started. ;)

EDIT 2/7/14: Fixing my old fics. Tempted to edit them for quality, but have decided to let them stand unless there's something that just plain drives me nuts.

Week 1: Progression

Happy

Shifting closer to Luke, Mara brushed her fingers along his cheek. “What are you smiling about?” she asked, her voice a whisper in the dark.

He only grinned wider and pulled her to him, reaching down to tug the rumpled sheet over their bodies. “I think you know.”

She gave a low, husky laugh. “Perhaps.”

“Only perhaps? Well, perhaps I should remind you…” he said, his hand running up her thigh to her waist.

“If it’ll make you happy,” she teased, shivering against him and winding her arms around his neck.

“Being with you is what makes me happy, Mara…”

Sad

The day was much the same as any other. Luke woke early and took his morning jog, ate breakfast in the cafeteria, and taught three classes. Late in the afternoon he spoke to Leia, keeping the topics of conversation light, discussing Han, Amelia, and Leia‘s newest senatorial gossip.

But as afternoon lengthened into evening, he met up with his son standing near a grove of trees watching the first sun set.

He grasped Ben‘s shoulder in greeting. “Ten years,” he said quietly. “I still miss her.”

Ben nodded and gave Mara‘s familiar smirk. “At least we can be sad together.”

Curious

“Do you know Leniya Brev?” Tionne asked.

Luke looked across the cafeteria. As if feeling his gaze, Leniya looked up at him and tucked her dark hair behind her ears, smiling. He smiled back automatically.

“Not well,” he answered. “Why?”

“Oh, she just told me that she was… curious… about you,” Tionne said.

Luke put down his fork, and looked again in Leniya’s direction. He had only minimal contact with the newly knighted Jedi. “What did you say?” he asked, lifting his glass.

Tionne looked at his hand, holding the glass. “I told her you still wear your wedding band.”

Angry

“You know,” Luke mused, “I once told your mother she looked beautiful when she was angry.”

Ben arched a brow. “You’re either a very brave or very foolish man, Dad.”

“I like to think I was… bold. Who would have thought someone like me, and someone like her…”

“Uncle Han says he always knew you had the hots for Mom. Besides, I don’t think you’ve ever really been good at deception.”

Luke smiled and turned to look at his son. “You sound just like your mother.”

“And am I beautiful, too?” Ben grinned and ducked away from Luke’s playful swat.

Content

Mara had once asked him to make Ben the center of his world if anything were to happen to her. That by doing so, their future and his would be assured.

Looking now at the little red-haired girl that climbed up his leg, Luke thought that Mara couldn’t have fathomed the future they had secured by loving one another and their son.

The little girl settled onto his lap, muttering a word that resembled “Grandpa” before falling asleep, her rhythmic breath warm and damp against his arm.

Luke was content to sit quietly while his granddaughter snoozed in his lap.

2. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I love it already! I like all of your different views on Luke at different times in his life. I will keep reading all of your drabbles!

3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Oh these are lovely!!! And wonderfully refreshing! I love it the way you let Luke go on with his life! So optimistic - exactly him!!!
    Great job!
    Can't wait for more!!!

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent start, ginchy. I think you have then knack. ;)

I was touched Sad, and amused by Curious and Angry. Content was a good 'awww' moment.

I have to say Curious has me curious. Who is this Jedi Knight who has her eyes on the Grandmaster? Will we see more?

5. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Oh! Ginchy I'm thrilled and tickled to death that you're doing these! I can't tell you the excitement that's just brimming over...woo hoo!!! [face_dancing] This is going to be the best ever!

Can't wait for more...this is going to be amazing! These were sweet and wonderful drabbles...sad about Mara not being there, but still beatufully bittersweet. I love them as much as I love you!

Huggles! Best best wishes, and eagerly awaiting the next installment!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Yay! Ginchy's back in town for drabbles! These were lovely. I loved the interplay between Luke and Ben.

=D= =D=

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, ginchy!!!!!!!! PM's please? :* I love the title for your drabbles--you know Happy melted me ;) :) Curious touched me because Luke still wears his wedding ring. [face_love] Sad, Angry, Content were sweet because they showed Luke intimate with Ben--and now he can spoil his grandling ROTTEN LOL. Eagerly awaiting next week's set. :D @};- Huggles!!!!

8. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Yay! You're doing drabbles! :) I really enjoyed these, especially the camaraderie between Luke and Ben. "Angry" was my favorite, but I loved "Content" as well, and the idea of Mara's legacy being passed to her grandchildren. Can't wait to read more!

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Awww....

I loved them all, but I think my favorite was Content.

[face_love] =D=

10. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Woot!! :D Love 'em and I'm so excited you're doing these. I have to say, that angry was my favorite set. Loved the banter and the snark: "?You?re either a very brave or very foolish man, Dad.? Just like his mom!

These will be like chocolate chip cookies after I finish my homework. I'll be looking forward to them every week. :D

Bravo ginchy lee!! =D= =D=

11. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Oooooh, ginchy! I'm SO glad you're doing the drabbles this time! =D= [:D] [face_love] I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us. ;)

Loved this Luke set! Especially this line:

Tionne looked at his hand, holding the glass. ?I told her you still wear your wedding band.?

It's only one sentence, but it speaks volumes.

Will you have a PM list? If so, please add me.

12. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Lovely! [face_love] They're all so touching, I can't pick a favorite. I hope you're able to continue through the entire challenge.

13. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Loved these so much. [face_love] Great job of keeping everyone in character with what seems to be very little effort. I can't wait to see what else you can do with drabbles.

14. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Oooh I told myself I wouldn't get too caught up in a long-length fic, but now I find out ginchy is doing drabbles :eek: I can't resist!

Don't have much time to formulate a real reply at the moment ... but sign me up for PM's! :D

15. Tabby

Tabby Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2008
    Lovely set of drabbles! Some of them made me tear up and some made me grin. I can't really pick a favorite ... they were all fantastic. Great job, and I'm looking forward to more! :D

16. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Tionne looked at his hand, holding the glass. ?I told her you still wear your wedding band.?

Wow. You said so much with this one sentence.

These were all wonderful! Fantastic work, ginchy! =D=

17. Angelmine_29

Angelmine_29 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    Beautiful - Angry and Sad were my favorites.

18. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    First, a word on the title--I tried to come up a good one, and couldn?t. My husband suggested this one, and I liked it but still wasn?t sure. Jade_Pilot clarified to me the meaning of ?gambit? (apparently it is not only an X-Man ;)) and I liked it even more, in that I feel like I?m taking a risk in proving myself with these drabbles. Thanks to everyone for reading and enjoying so far! [:D]

[b]SithGirl132:[/b] Thank you so much! :D

[b]kataja:[/b] That is Luke; even through it all I think he still remains optimistic. With this set I wanted to show that even though he?ll never be quite as happy as he was when he had Mara in his life, he?ll still have moments of love and contentment. Thank you!

[b]brodiew:[/b] Thank you! [i]I have to say Curious has me curious. Who is this Jedi Knight who has her eyes on the Grandmaster? Will we see more?[/i] I don?t know that my little heart could write anymore about her and Luke. LOL It just hit me that some lady would set her eyes on him (I could hardly blame her! ;)) I do have one idea for a possible future for Leniya (and Luke) but we?ll have to see how the drabble words work out in the following weeks.

[b]Irish_Jedi_Jade:[/b] Thanks, lady! Your replies are always so energetic and sweet. I?m so glad you found something to love in them. [face_hugs]

[b]divapilot:[/b] Thanks, girl! I really wanted to see Luke and Ben together and happy as a father and son should be.

[b]Jade_eyes:[/b] Of course I?ll PM you, lady! Thanks so much for checking in. I somehow had an inkling that you might like ?Happy?. [face_mischief] LOL!! Let?s hope for more words to get the Muse ?in the mood?. [face_laugh]

[b]path-seeker:[/b] Thank you! I?m glad the idea of Mara?s legacy to her grandchildren came through. She has such an impressive one to leave to them, and I don?t think Grandpa Luke would ever let them forget it!

[b]VaderLVR64:[/b] Thanks! :D

[b]Jade_Pilot:[/b] Hey, JP-gator! Aww, you?ve got me in your siggy line! Thank you! Thanks so much for helping me with the LOTF stuff I don?t know, and for always being there as a (very funny) sounding-board. I plot so well with you! I hope these lil? ?cookies? will be worth it!

[b]Jedi Trace:[/b] Thanks, gal! I have always wanted to try the Drabble Challenge, so we?ll see if I can keep up with the pros! You?re too sweet to me. Of course I?ll put you on my PM list!

[b]DarthBerryStraw:[/b] Thank you! I hope I?m able to continue through the challenge as well. That?s my ?gambit?. Wish me luck!

[b]BigFatty:[/b] Thanks! I?m so glad they read as Luke being in character. I really tried to have him go on and live for Ben and in Mara?s memory.

[b]Myriad_Daydreams:[/b] Thanks, M! I?m glad to see you?re doing drabbles again this time, too. I will certainly PM you!
    [b]Tabby:[/b] Thank you for peeking in! I?m glad you enjoyed the drabbles.

[b]amidalachick:[/b] I have to say that was my favorite drabble to write, surprisingly enough. Thank you so much!

[b]Angelmine_29:[/b] Thank you! ?Angry? was a last minute entry--I had an entirely different drabble and it just wasn?t working. Then I thought of Ben being a bit like his granddad, Anakin, and that one fell into place.

[hr]

[u][b]PM List:[/b][/u]

[i]Jedi Trace
    Jade_eyes
    Myriad_Daydreams[/i]

19. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Sad

The day was much the same as any other. Luke woke early and took his morning jog, ate breakfast in the cafeteria, and taught three classes. Late in the afternoon he spoke to Leia, keeping the topics of conversation light, discussing Han, Amelia, and Leia?s newest senatorial gossip.

But as afternoon lengthened into evening, he met up with his son standing near a grove of trees watching the first sun set.

He grasped Ben?s shoulder in greeting. ?Ten years,? he said quietly. ?I still miss her.?

Ben nodded and gave Mara?s familiar smirk. ?At least we can be sad together.?

Awww. :( So bittersweet. @};- I think this one was my favorite [face_love], though they were all wonderful!
    Terrific job!! :D I'm looking forward to see what you come up with for week 2!![face_dancing]
    =D==D==D==D=

20. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Those were gorgeous!

I loved Happy but I think Sad is my favorite because I love the image of Grandpa Luke and his granddaughter.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Please PM me when you update

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

21. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    ginchy - these were all great!

Happy ? wonderfully, playfully sensual
    Sad ? very touching.
    Curious ? I really loved how you fleshed this one out. Hard to pick a single thing ? the whole work was so nicely done.

I agree with brodiew ? you have the knack. :)

22. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    When I saw you as the author, I knew that they were going to be beutiful, but these surpassed my expectations! I do not have enough words to stress how much of an amazingly brilliant writter you are. Seriously.=D=

Angry was my favorite, hands down . . . all though Happy was up there too. ;)

Can I have PMs too? I don't want to miss a single one of these. [face_dancing]

~MJ@};-

23. redtenko

redtenko Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2006
    beautiful, ginchy. As usual.

you've packed so much emotional POW! into 100 words, not to mention the awesome that is Ben

24. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    dancing_star: Thank you so much! That one was hard for me to write, but I had comfort in knowing that Luke and Ben were together.

KELIA: Thanks! I will add you to the PM list. I love the idea of Luke and a baby granddaughter, too. [face_love]

BigE: Thank you! I have to admit that "Curious" flowed the easiest from my idea onto the screen. Which was surprising to me, but worked out really well.

Mira_Jade: I have added you to the PM list! Thank you so much, gal. Your words have really brought a smile to my face. I worked hard on the drabbles and I'm glad they are touching to others, as well. Thanks!!

redtenko: Hey, you! Great to see you over here again. Thanks so much! I haven't written too much 'older' Ben, so it was fun for me to imagine the things he would say.

[i]Thank you everyone for your support. It's meant so much to me![/i] [face_hugs]

[b][u]Updated PM list:[/u][/b]

[i]Jedi Trace
    Jade_eyes
    Myriad_Daydreams
    KELIA
    Mira_Jade[/i]

25. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Week 2: Destinations

Thank you to Jade_Pilot for looking these over for me! [:D]

Week 2: Destinations

Alderaan

Leia deftly tucked one last flower into place in front of Mara’s gauzy veil. “Perfect,” she said, looking in the mirror at her soon-to-be sister-in-law.

Mara reached up to finger the garland of flowers in her hair. “Alderaan roses,” she said softly. “I’ve only ever seen these on the HoloNet.”

“Yes, well…” Leia gently swatted Mara’s hands away from the roses. “They’re traditional for a bride… a symbol of beauty and love.”

Mara’s eyes met Leia’s. “Thank you,” she mouthed.

Nodding, Leia moved to sit on the settee opposite the mirror. “So,” she asked, “are you packed for your honeymoon?”

Yavin IV

Mara turned away from the mirror, and nodded to a small satchel in the corner of the room.

Leia eyed the case. “That’s all you’re taking?”

“It is our honeymoon. I’m sure I won’t need much in the way of clothing.” Mara smirked.

“That’s true,” Leia allowed. “Luke still hasn’t told me where the two of you are going.”

“He hasn’t told me how we’re going to get where we’re going, without a ship…”

“Public transport?” Leia guessed. “They always make stops at the largest space-ports…”

Mara made a face. “Knowing Luke, we’ll probably just end up on Yavin IV…”

Bespin

Leia covered her mouth with her hand, trying not to laugh. “Surely you have more faith in my brother than that,” she teased.

Mara brushed at an invisible wrinkle in the skirt of her gown. “Well… I trust that he wouldn’t pick a place like, say, Bespin…”

Leia grimaced before nodding in agreement. “It’s a shame to have so many unhappy memories associated with some places, though,” she said. “I hear there’s a wonderful bed and breakfast with quite the spectacular view on Cloud City.”

“I think Luke already had a close enough view of that particular area….” Mara mused.

Hapes

“Mara!” Leia exclaimed, before squashing her lips together to contain a laugh.

“What?” Mara asked, feigning ignorance. “We can’t go to Tatooine--not that we’d want to, mind you, and we can’t go to Cloud City, Coruscant, or Gods’ forbid, Endor. Too many bad memories are associated with most of those places. Add to that mix Chad, Bakura, or… Hapes… and you have too many bad memories associated with--”

“Too many exes,” Leia finished. “You’re right. It must have been hard for the two of you to settle on a honeymoon destination.”

“Hard doesn’t even begin to describe it!”

Dagobah

“Well,” Leia said, “you haven’t mentioned the one place I already have…”

“I don’t remember you giving out honeymoon destination pointers.”

“When we were at the baths, with the girls…”

Mara’s eyes widened. “Dagobah.”

“It does have its high points,” Leia reflected. “Warm climate and land right on the… water…”

“And there is the solitude,” Mara chimed in with a wicked leer.

Leia laughed, and impulsively hugged Mara. “Seriously, wherever you go will be perfect as long as you’re together.”

Mara smiled. “Thank you, Leia.”

Wiping at suddenly damp eyes, Leia nodded. “Come on,” she said. “Let’s get you married.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.