main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Girls and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Captain_Mara_Jade, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Mara_Jade

Captain_Mara_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    I have a group of friends who are all Star Wars fans, and when I first started liking Star Wars, they didn't think I knew much because of the fact that I was a girl, and most girls are only interested in the "Love Scenes." That is not the case with me. Does anyone else see the wrong in these types of statements?

2. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I know a lot of girls who enjoy and understand the Star Wars films as much as I do and I also know lot's of girls who roll their eyes when I say I'm a big fan of the series, claiming they are 'boy's films'.

I have always seen Star Wars as a movie series that appeals to a very wide audience. Any movies that are this entertaining would have to have a wide audience appeal.

3. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    I just looking for a good woman who enjoys Star Wars....I'd marry her.

4. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    im a girl and a serious Star Wars fan... a few of my friends (who are also girls) are Star Wars fans as well... i think that there are more female Star Wars fans than we think.. we're just not as outward with our Star Wars "nerdiness" :p

5. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I'm a girl and I like Star Wars. :)

The only other female SW fans I can think of are my mom and sister. SW is an action, sci-fi sort of movie, which is usually labeled a "man's movie". I guess in general women aren't as open about being a fan. I don't tell people I like Star Wars unless it's brought up.

6. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    How dare you call Star Wars Sci Fi.

I prefer to think of SW as a space opera, or a myth on the same sort of scale as Tolkeins works.

The only girls I know who like SW are my sisters.

7. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm a girl, and I love Star Wars. Unfortunately, I don't know any other female SW fans in RL, that's why I hang out here. I have just introduced my flatmates (all girls) to the Saga, and they think it's great. Jo and Giada insisted on watching all five in the space of two evenings, and now can't wait for Ep III. But they're not fans, just casual viewers.

I would say that I tend to keep my silence about liking SW, unless it comes up in a conversation. It's obvious to the people that know me - I have the movies, novels and a bunch of action figures, but I don't usually talk about it much in RL. In fact, the only people I can discuss SW with are my brothers and my best friend - who is a bloke.

It's unfair to say that Star Wars is for the boys, or that girls are only interested in the love story. The A/P scenes in AOTC bored me, I'd much rather watch a space battle or lightsaber fight instead :)

8. Captain_Mara_Jade

May 17, 2003
    Ariadne, I'm glad you participated. You and I have a lot in common. I too am the only female Star Wars fan I know, and worse yet, I'm the only real fan in my house!

9. pixiee

pixiee Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2003
    I like sw AS MUCH AS GUYS DO SOMETIMES I EVEN KNOW MORE ABOUT SW THAN SOME GUYS I KNOW! WOW DIFFRENT GENDER WE STILL KNOW THE SAME. SW IS MY LIFE!!!

10. byrdnest

byrdnest Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    i have loved star wars since dec 76 when i bought a gold paperback. me and my group of boys were the first in the line to see the movie. i was in 5th grade. i wonder if a lot of it is that i dont do well with girls. they want to compete with me and i dont enjoy the catfighting and jealousy. i have always been a tomboy though. after i saw the movie i hoped that luke would come and rescue me and take me away to fight the good fight. silly!

11. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Yeah, I'm a tomboy too :) I am wondering if you ladies have ever encountered any sort of prejudice from male fans? I occasionally get the 'you're a girl, what do you know?' reaction from boys (as opposed to adult fans). That is when I like to floor them with my intricate knowledge of the inner workings of an X-Wing, or similar :D

12. Captain_Mara_Jade

May 17, 2003
    Yeah I have Ariadne, I actually was challenged by one of my "would be" friends. They started quizing me on the basics, and then I stumpped them! I started asking them questions, and when they jnew they were beat, they didn't bother me again about being a girl and liking Star Wars.

13. ThePenkhullPimp

ThePenkhullPimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    Thank god my girlfriend likes Star Wars because since I've discovered these boards my interest level has gone up some what!

Also I never understand when people don't like Star Wars so I expect everyone to like it, no matter what sex.

Its a mad concept though, you can't like Star Wars because of your sex, imagine if someone said you couldn't like a book or a painting, its just nuts.

14. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Where have you ladies been all my life? [face_love] [face_love]

I don't know any girls in RL who love Star Wars. Come to think of it, I don't know any guys in RL who love Star Wars. ;)
    A Star Wars fan's life is a lonely one here in the New Forest... :(

15. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    I'm a girl and I like SW. Like some other people I don't mention how much of a fan I am unless they bring it up in conversation. I have never met a female SW fan in RL or a male one. They all love Spider-Man too much and then there are my conformist friends who like what everyone else likes, but whatever.

16. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm a Star Wars fan and I have been since I was a kid. I don't have any true SW chick friends. So, it was kind of a shock when I registered here and saw all these Star Wars lovin' women :D

17. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I am Woman and I love, love Star Wars! I have known many casual viewers in my life-male and female. But haven't know many hardcore SW fans until recently I am getting to know more...

but i have never heard of SW only being considered a "guy" film...

I was actually told by a close friend of mine that I am the first girl he has ever met that is so into SW and I am not even close to being as big as a SW person as some on the board I have seen... just making my first costume and saber now... but of course until recently I have never really had the support system to back me up and encourage me to do it...

Want to find some more SW chicks-check out the SWGals Thread in this forum, http://starwarschicks.com and check out your local fan force if you want to meet some in RL...we have just as many girls as guys in our group...

18. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    *jumps into the group* Hey!! I'm a girl and a huge Star Wars fan. Unfortunately I don't know anybody in RL that likes SW much, certainly not any women. :( But its great here, because I see so many SW fans around. That said, I am also a tomboy. :D Also, I found the AOTC love scenes to be kinda flat. Sure, I love movies like "Moulin Rouge", but I'm a sucker for sci-fi, action, and I lvoe huge lightsaber battles. :D

19. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Fans of, let's say, more cerebrally oriented interests are often attributed with the infamous geek stereotype. Whether the object of interest be Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, or comic books, among many others, the word "fan" brings to mind images of pimply faced poindexters or lardy losers living in their parents' basements. In either case, the picture is of a male. Female adherents are generally seen as oddities, or diamonds in the rough, so to speak. They don't fit into people's preconceived (and skewed) notions of geekdom.

Aside from that, there simply seem to be more males in the ranks of nerdhood (and I use the term affectionately). If you saw Conan O'Brien's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog segment at the New York Episode II line, you know that women were definitely in the minority there.

20. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I'm gonna have to repeat what Tarkin said...where HAVE you all been? I've never met a female SW fan in real life - I mean a real, beyond-casual fan. My girlfriend considers it a mystery why I love it so much...but I don't get Newsies, so I guess we're even.

21. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    <<I like sw AS MUCH AS GUYS DO SOMETIMES I EVEN KNOW MORE ABOUT SW THAN SOME GUYS I KNOW! WOW DIFFRENT GENDER WE STILL KNOW THE SAME. SW IS MY LIFE!!!>>

Pixiee.....I love you.....

22. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I may have to strangle the next guy who says "You're talking about Star Wars? I didn't think that was a chick movie."

At least six of my female friends are also SW fans.

23. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    actually according to some estimates women make up approx 40% of the fan base, and growing.

I have been a SW fan from the start. (I was 7 almsot 8 in '77) I have a few friends who are also great SW fans, though most of my SW friends I met on the web.

There are even some Websites just for us.

www.starwarschicks.com for example.

Go Girl Power.

Down with negative steriotypes.

I even wrote an email to a local dj about a year ago or so, after he made the mistake of referring to sci fi / fantasy/ action adventure as "guy things". It even got read on the air. (it was a morning call in show, but still..)

24. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    i've always loved star wars for the action. han/leia interaction was fun to watch, the bickering and such but i wasn't too thrilled with the romance b/t anakin/padme. the romance in the movie is okay, but the fanfiction, is where you find the love :D

~aeryn

25. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    My sister and girlfriend both like SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.