main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Give Booze A Chance": the alcohol content of 'fic/WR threads...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Thrawn McEwok, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Why not allow people to mention their drinking in moderation? It wouldn't encourage anybody to get drunk, and it would probably teach some of those who might be tempted how to be responsible.

That's always been my philosophy and it's been my parents. They always felt that introducing my siblings nad I to alchol in a safe environment would take some of hte mystery away and keep us from going out with our friends and getting plastered just because it was a novelty. Now i"m not saying htey ever got us drunk or anything, they wouldn't have done that. But the exposure did take the mystery out. Alcohol has never been a taboo topic in our hone and two out of four kids dont drink at all.

Of course, that doesnt' really work here, in practice or as an argument.

I don't really have a problem with the moderation rule, myself. If I really feel the need to write a story that involves getting plastered, I can always post it elsewhere.

This should be a "use your common sense" case by case issue.

Too many rules and people are only going to see how far they can push them.

[joking] Let's see... if the mods say, that we can't have the Rogues take Luke out to down 21 drinks, but Obi-Wan and Anakin can knock back 15...then the Rogues can obviously take Luke out to have somewhere between 16 and 20! [joking]

I have to agree with Opal on this one... It's definitely a case by case thing. And a common sense thing. We can debate this until the end of time and still be no closer to a specific number or an uncrossable line.

Edit: Could someone PM the link for "A night to almost remember"? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times now in different threads and it sounds interesting...

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    But the exposure did take the mystery out. Alcohol has never been a taboo topic in our hone and two out of four kids dont drink at all.

Exactly. Exposure really does take the mystery out and leaves you more likely questioning 'why the heck do people actually like this' than 'let's experiement and get totally drunk!'

I got drunk once and since then, I have not really touched alcohol. Why? Because for one thing, since even a glass of wine goes to my head, my tolerance is so low that I don't even bother. And two? I think alcohol tastes terrible. Beer? Awful. Vodka? How the heck can people drink that? Sternmaker? Probably the one thing that tastes worse than vodka. My exposure to alcohol was what made me decide to never really touch it again. Were I still in the US and underage to drink, then I'd probably be waiting for my chance and wanting to drink. But now that I have? No big deal.

It's definitely a case by case thing. And a common sense thing. We can debate this until the end of time and still be no closer to a specific number or an uncrossable line.

I agree. God gave us brains- use them.

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
  4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    LP: And alcohol shouldn't be used to make a character stronger or smarter since it sure as heck doesn't do that in the real world.

You sure? o_O :p

You Yanks just haven't mastered (or have forgotten) how to drink... now sure, it doesn't make you stronger, and it may not directly make you smarter, but it does taste good (if it's made properly and drunk responsibly :p) and it can put you in a frame of mind where the tradeoff is very definately worth it...

And yes, I'm prepared to defend that claim to the death...

... by liver-poisoning, if necessary...

- The Imperial Ewok

5. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Long? Ha, the longer the better! And Thanks, Kit.

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Exactly. Exposure really does take the mystery out and leaves you more likely questioning 'why the heck do people actually like this' than 'let's experiement and get totally drunk!'

Yes, I wish the US adopt the same attitude towards drinking that most European nations have. Children should learn responsible drinking from their parents, rather than some rite-of-passage when you turn 21 that becomes glamorized simply because it's been forbidden. Early exposure to alcohol would do that.

That being said, I'm of age and rarely drink :p

As for fic, I really don't see a problem with depicting the use of alcohol in stories. I would prefer not to see the drinking scenario LadyPadme offered about Luke and his buddies, as much because that story sounds like it would suck :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.