main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Give Me An Interesting EU Point

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rachel_In_Red, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    1) So you don't consider life time of of the dangerous community service to the Republic a legal repercussions?
    2) Cade had not been a pirate for some time when we first see him. I admit what he did was shady but it was not piracy

2. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Iron_lord though it depends on which side your looking at it from though. I should clarify from the Imperial perspective Luke is a mass murder like Kyp. From a Rebel Prespective Tarkin and Vader are Mass murderers for Alderann(among other places like the Falleen homeworld and they time Tarkin landed his shuttle on top of a protest) but to the the Imperials Alderann was a military target as well as it was the main source of the Rebellion's funding and leadership.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In practice, I think even the Empire would acknowledge that the Death Star "battlestation" is a warship, not a settlement.

Hence the notion in Fate of the Jedi that the Empire (now at peace with the New Republic) might ask for Kyp to be extradited- but no hints that they would have considered Luke such a target.

The Death Star was "fair game" in a Civil War. Carida, somewhat less so- especially since Kyp was not a military man acting as part of a sanctioned campaign, but a civilian acting on his own initiative.

Now- had the Empire won- I could see it treating the Rebels as "illegal combatants" rather than "enemy soldiers" - but that doesn't have any bearing on the difference between Carida and the Death Star.

A common theme in the EU is for even imperials to consider the destruction of Alderaan as a ludicrously excessive response (the stormtrooper protagonists, in Allegiance, the Death Star gunner himself, Tenn Graneet, in the Death Star novel) and even rebels to consider the destruction of Carida as murder (Corran, in I, Jedi).

4. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    1) For the second time, I didn't say he protected him from all legal consequences. Are you actually arguing that it's inaccurate to describe someone using their personal status to get someone's sentence reduced from execution to community service as "protecting them from legal consequences"? Because if so I refer you back to semantics and hair splitting.

2) We're in a fun thread about weird and interesting stuff that happened in the EU, but if you really think it's desperately important that I say, "generic nondescript criminal who engages in bounty hunting and smuggling," instead of the more amusing and basically accurate "pirate", knock yourself out.

5. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    YOU KNOW WHAT I TAKE EVERYTHING BACK, I BROKE THIS THREAD, I TURNED IT INTO A CARIDA DEBATE.

TAKE ME OUT BACK AND SHOOT ME.

Or, you know, get Luke to talk to the government and commute my sentence to community service. Whatever.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    OK- moving on from Carida.

The Silentium from the Lando trilogy are a pretty interesting EU thing- giant spherical droids like small Death Stars, who once waged a war against a rival droid race called the Abominor, and are now relatively peaceful. Their "child" Vuffi Ra was Lando's copilot for a while.

7. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I have vague memories of a fan theory on the Silentium and Vuffi Ra being connected to the Celestials.

8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Rakata are responsible for almost everything from hyperdrives to lightsabers to prisons that trap peoples' minds, to turning Tatoonine into a desert and Kashyyyk into a forest, and polluting even planets like Hoth with their stuff.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Realy? If so :rolleyes:

10. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    :p
    I'm not complaining.
    But I am biased when it comes to Rakata.

But I really don't like the idea that their invention the "Mother machine" claims it was responsible for creating everything from Twi'leks to other familiar races.

No. Just no.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Twi'leks predate the machine.

12. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I know, but just the idea of some Rakatan machine creating 90% of all species is really stupid.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There exist at least three other 'Ancient civilisations' the Rakata don’t need to have done everything we can not blame the Celestials on

14. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    "The Celestials did everything" is just as bad as "The rakata did everything"

More realistic might be, the Rakata stole some ideas from other civilizations and claimed they did it.

There, now everyone is happy.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wait guys, I think I've got it -- you know who's really responsible for everything? The gizka. Those guys are everywhere... suspiciously everywhere the Rakata had been. How do we know the Gizka hadn't been controlling the Rakata the whole time? Maybe they had been to the Rakata what the Rakata were to the rest of the civilization. Before DotJ... was the Galactic Gizka Empire. The Rakata were simply living in the hollow vestiges of their once-awesome dominion.

I mean think about it -- they maliciously confiscated the Ebon Hawk and forced Darth Revan to transport them across the galaxy, so they could spread their numbers. No other villain Revan ever encountered was so successfully heinous.

16. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    :D
    Brilliant!

Now I want the Over-predor to be a gizka.

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    not really, to be honest 95% of ther time, Luke is underpowered. He is the full power of what Anakin might have been. He is the most powerful force user ever, yet it rarely translates to being able to see it. they are mentioning rare examples of his power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.