main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Giver of Light - Book 1: Finding a Father in a Memory (JA; AU~Qui, Obi, Xan) *Completed 12/4/04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Chapter 11

One week later

Staring at his empty room made Obi-Wan’s heart ache. He had few belongings of his own, but they were precious. His favorite was a holograph of himself and his two best friends, Garen Muln and Siri Tachi, when the three were six years old. They had their arms around each other’s shoulders, Siri in between the two boys.

“You look happy in that one,” Xanatos said from behind his son.

Obi-Wan whirled around. For the first time that he could ever remember, he hadn’t sensed the presence of a person near him. Collecting himself quickly, he nodded. “I was happy the day this was taken. All three of us were. We’d just returned to the crèche after swimming. We did everything together at that age. I’m going to miss them.”

Xanatos stepped up next to his son and rested a large hand on Obi-Wan’s shoulder. He cleared his throat, and then spoke. “You’ll still have contact with them, Obi-Wan. I would never disallow you from speaking with, or even returning here to see them on occasion. They’ve been your friends all of your life and there is no reason for that to change.”

Obi-Wan managed a small smile. He wished Qui-Gon had been as open-minded where Xanatos was concerned. “Thank you, Father. That means a lot to me.”

Xanatos pulled his son closer to him. “You mean everything to me, Ben. There is no more special connection than the one that exists between a father and his son. I’m looking forward to spending our days getting to know everything there is to know about one another. I love you, my son.”

Obi-Wan leaned into Xanatos’ side and wrapped his arm around the older man’s waist. “I love you too, Father.”

Xanatos’ heart warmed to the point of melting as he absorbed those words. He pressed a soft kiss to the top of his teenage son’s spiky head and just enjoyed the moment. They would have a lifetime full of moments like these, but this was special because it was one of the first.

“Hey Anakin, when do you leave with Master Renashaii?” questioned ten year-old Jedi Initiate Zev Irigaard, Anakin’s best friend.

“In just a few hours,” Anakin replied, his voice a little sullen.

“Will you ever be coming back?”

Anakin turned from the travel bag he was packing and faced his younger friend. “Sure I will, Zev. Master Xan promised that Obi-Wan and I would both be allowed to contact our friends here as well as come and visit as often as we’d like.”

Zev smiled, happy that he wouldn’t be completely losing his best friend. “Good. I’m going to miss you, my friend.”

Anakin hugged the smaller boy tightly. He cared for Zev like a younger brother. They’d been inseparable since Anakin had come to the Temple three years before. Zev had been the first person to befriend him. “I’m going to miss you too, Zev. But we’ll speak often, I promise.”

The two boys sealed the promise with a handshake. Zev then moved across the room with Anakin and helped his friend finish his packing.

Wandering the temple with no particular place to go wasn’t something Qui-Gon had done since he was a child. But it seemed appropriate now. He was losing his apprentice, the young man he’d come to treasure as a son. By his own choice, Obi-Wan was leaving the only home he’d ever known and following a father he’d never known. It was enough to make Qui-Gon nauseous.

“Will you be all right?” he heard from behind him.

Qui-Gon didn’t need to turn around to know who it was behind him. He knew Xanatos’ voice be heart. “I don’t think you really care.”

“You’re right, I don’t. But my son does care about you, Jinn. He cares more than you’ll ever know,” Xanatos told his old master. “For his sake, because he asked me to, I’m asking if you’ll be okay.”

Qui-Gon turned around and stared at his former apprentice. “It will take time, but I will be fine. Assure Obi-Wan of that.”

Xanatos nodded. “He also would like it if you came to the landing platform and see him off.”

Qui-Gon visibly shuttered at that request. That would be too much for him. “I can’t do that, Xan. I can’t watch him fly away from me.”

Xanatos seemed to understand, or at least accept that answer. He simply nodded and turned to leave.

“Xanatos?” Qui-Gon called.

Turning back around to face the older man, Xanatos waited for him to speak.

“May the Force be with you, Knight Renashaii,” he whispered to Xanatos.

Somewhat taken aback, Xanatos did the only thing he could. “May the Force be with you as well, Master Jinn.” With that, he spun on his heels and walked away, leaving Qui-Gon alone once again.

“He’s not coming, is he?” Obi-Wan asked from his position next to his father on the landing platform.

“I’m afraid not, Obi-Wan,” Xanatos said quietly. “He said he simply couldn’t watch you fly away from him. I have to admit, I understand that reasoning. I don’t think I could do it either.”

Obi-Wan just nodded as Anakin came to stand next to him. The twelve year-old was nearly as tall as Obi-Wan himself. “I’m sorry about your Master not coming, Obi-Wan.”

He looked over at the younger boy and gave him a small nod. “Thank you, Anakin. I wish he could be here, but I understand his reasons. We should be going.”

Anakin picked up his travel bag and slung it over his shoulder and walked up the ramp into Xanatos’ ship.

“We’ll return soon, Obi-Wan, I promise you that,” Xanatos said to his son.

Staring off in the distance, Obi-Wan shook his head slightly. “No, Father. We won’t be back here for a very long time,” he said, turning to look at Xanatos. “I can sense that much. I can feel it.”

Xanatos nodded. He didn’t question how exactly Obi-Wan knew what he did; he just accepted it as a part of his son’s amazing power. If Obi-Wan said they wouldn’t be back for a good long while, then they wouldn’t. He took one last look at the Temple in which he had grown up and whispered his goodbyes. He too knew it would be a long time before he saw it again. Then he slowly walked up the ramp, his black cloak billowing behind him as a gentle breeze arose. The ship lifted off moments later, carrying the future, the only hope for the Jedi Order away with it.

2. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
    That was great! Good job, I really like where you've taken this story, the next book promises to be very, very interesting.

Can't wait! And again, great job!

3. DarkDream

DarkDream Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    He's away!! :_| :_| :_|

That was really good! =D=

4. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Briman~That was great!

Thanks.

the next book promises to be very, very interesting.

Well, I hope so.

DarkDream~ He's away!!

Yep, he's gone away. :(

That was really good!

Thanks.

Epilogue is posted below!!

Epilogue

“Will they return? All of them?” Mace Windu asked Yoda from their seats in the Council chamber.

It took the ancient Jedi Master a moment to answer. It wasn’t what Mace wanted to hear. “No, not all.”

The night sky is always darkest just before the dawn. Mace remembered having heard that somewhere when he was a child. It seemed an appropriate analogy for the current situation the galaxy, and the Jedi found themselves in. The galaxy was just beginning to darken. It would be many, many years before the dawn.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmm, can't help but wonder at Obi-Wan's decision that getting to know his father is more important than being a Jedi, for that in essense is what he's doing. We know Xnantos is asking Anakin to be his apprentice and unless the Council is allowing him two padawans...

I feel bad for Qui-Gon. :( :(

Arrghhh... will Qui-Gon and Xanatos ever find out the truth of that message, and when will we discover what happened and who kept that message from Qui-Gon... and why do I think it's the meddling little troll again. :D :D

Looking forward to checking out the next one.

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahhh my heart goes out to Qui... I don't think I could watch him fly away either. That would do more than break a feller's heart.

Excellent job!!! Hmmm wonder what mischief those 2 boys will get into? hehehehehe

Great work!!

7. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Healer_Leona~Hmmm, can't help but wonder at Obi-Wan's decision that getting to know his father is more important than being a Jedi, for that in essense is what he's doing.

Well, it's not that he thinks getting to know his father is more important than being a Jedi, it's that Obi wants both. Just like Anakin in AotC--he wants to be a Jedi and have Padme.

We know Xnantos is asking Anakin to be his apprentice and unless the Council is allowing him two padawans...

Well, the Council has done some pretty strange things so far. I guess we'll see what happens next.

I feel bad for Qui-Gon.

Arrghhh... will Qui-Gon and Xanatos ever find out the truth of that message, and when will we discover what happened and who kept that message from Qui-Gon... and why do I think it's the meddling little troll again.

I feel bad for Qui too. He loved Xan and Obi as sons and now he's lost them both.

The meddling little troll--he's always sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong, isn't he? But did he do it in this instance? Read Book 2 for the answer. [face_laugh]

Looking forward to checking out the next one.

Thanks.

Kynstar~Ahhh my heart goes out to Qui... I don't think I could watch him fly away either. That would do more than break a feller's heart.

Yep, it breaks his spirit, not just his heart.

Hmmm wonder what mischief those 2 boys will get into?

Plenty, I'm sure.

Excellent job!!! Great work!!

Thanks a bunch.

8. Skywalker_Angel

Skywalker_Angel Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    Great story, Jen. I can't wait for Book 2 to really get going.

9. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Hey there Angel. I didn't know you finished reading this one yet. We haven't spoken on the phone for a few days. :( I miss you sis. See ya next weekend--Hubby and I are coming up for a visit.

Try and stay current on Book 2--shouldn't be hard, only the prologue is done. [face_laugh]

10. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    I'm on chapter 5. . .pg 2

looking interesting :D

11. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Wow. .. I have the feeling Xan won't be back. . .

definately AU, Anakin is only two years younger than Obi, and now Older than Padme. .
    intersting. . .

hrmmmmm I feel bad for Qui-Gon, really. . . it almost seems as if he's being punished. . . but he's not. Poor guy. .

12. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    maramijade~Glad you're reading, and I hope you're enjoying.

13. PureBlood_Jedi

PureBlood_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2004
    Just read this again Jen and it's wonderful. Still. =D=

14. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Thanks, PureBlood. Read it as many times as you want.

15. Salmeera

Salmeera Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Amazing, again, I've only had time to read the first chapter, but I love it! I can't wait to read more, keep up the good work. :)

16. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Salmeera I've only had time to read the first chapter, but I love it! I can't wait to read more, keep up the good work.

Thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

17. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I finally finished reading this and it was fantastic!
    very very engrossing, and very original at that...

So Anakin is only a few years younger than Obi..and he is the apprentice of Obi's father..who is Xanatos, a Knight who once embraced the dark side.. and a liar too, since he said he sent Qui a message but he didn't. Or maybe it got lost. But that bit was so sad. :(

I love the propehcy of the Giver of Light! Fantastic!

it's so sad though, how Qui and Obi had to part.. :( I wonder if they will meet again..

so they won't be back to the Temple in a long time..

I really must question Yoda's motives. He seems a bit reckless. Too much faith in the Force, he has. ;)

Can't wait to read the second part! :D

18. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    JOINME I finally finished reading this and it was fantastic!
    very very engrossing, and very original at that...

:) Thank you very much.

I'm glad you liked this fic, and enjoy the second fic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.