GL had no defined vision in SW: he just created it as the movies passed

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by -Emperor_Palpatine-, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Lucas's original plan.

He would release STAR WARS in 1977 and release many sequels depending on the success of the first one. A total of 9 episodes were planned with STAR WARS being Episode 1.

However, by 1980 when ESB had been completed, he realized the potential of the Anakin Skywalker story so he decided to label ESB as Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back. Many movie-goers were suprised and confused by this title.

In 1981, he retitled STAR WARS as Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope.

When making ROTJ, he decided to can the idea of episodes 7, 8 and 9. Either due to lack of interest, or lack of story. He crammed the last 4 episodes into one.

In 1983, he released ROTJ as Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi.

So as you can see, there was never any plans to make a prequel trilogy. While he did have the basic Star Wars story outlined, he never planned for prequels to be made. Lucas does changes things as he goes along.
  2. Pfft Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I strongly advise you to read Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays unless you don't want to know just how wrong you are.

The story as defined in the AS's outlines ANH - a script which had many different functions and features.

The idea of Trade Guilds and Barons didn't appear until about the second draft.

Yes, GL has used many ideas from the original "ANH" drafts - a for defining plotting the SAGA, that didn't happen until after ANH.
  3. Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    As far as I know, he added "Episode IV: A New Hope" once he realized that he could continue his saga. That is, before he started filming TESB!
  4. TheOzhaggis Jedi Master

star 5
    It's amusing that people are so steadfastly confident in their beliefs despite Lucas himself contradicting them ...

Much fear I sense.

It couldn't be easy to take a defiant stand proclaiming that you are absolutely positively infallibly correct - and then have to admit you were wrong.

Much easier to just deny everything and refuse to accept it.

What's that saying ... Ignorance is bliss ?
  5. Wal Jedi Youngling

star 1
    http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20021031.html
  6. Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There it is. Thanks, Wal!
  7. Durwood Jedi Master

star 5
    Classic examples of "Lucasspeak": Yes

reminds me of when one of our former presidents lied and explained it by saying he "misspoke"

Here, class, we have the classic basher argument that producer and director George Lucas is a pathological liar. Any time a critic of STAR WARS finds himself backed into a corner where Mr. Lucas' words directly contradict his own opinions and speculation, he erroneously feels that simply calling Mr. Lucas a liar will provide him a convenient escape hatch whereby he can deflect any and all arguments and pretend that his own point of view remains unchallenged. This is better known as a delusion.
  8. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "As far as I know, he added "Episode IV: A New Hope" once he realized that he could continue his saga. That is, before he started filming TESB!"

That is incorrect. If he had decided to do prequels before filming ESB, the Episode IV tagline would have been added to the 1979 re-release of Star Wars. It was decided near the original 1980 release of ESB to do prequels. That is why there was no Episode IV till 1981.
  9. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I remember Lucas saying that when he cut Star Wars into 1 movie that he had to move some things around. Like Chewy. The wookies were going to be what the ewoks became. The wookies whould live in tree houses on a forrest planet. This planet whould be at the end of the Star Wars story. Chewbacca was (I kind guessing here) most likely going to have the Wiket role from ROTJ. A wookie who helps our heros join with the Wookies to fight the Empire.

Now when Lucas cut all of that out as the 3rd ACT and decided he could only do the 1st ACT he moved the Wookie in the 1st ACT just so he could have a wookie in the film.

Now I'am also guessing that the Death Star was not suppose to appear until the final film when they whould have the final battle for the galaxy.

When Lucas cut the 3rd ACT he moved the Death Star into the 1st film. Because he wanted it to be seen. When SW became a hit and he whould get to do ACT 2 and ACT 3 he just decided to make a second Death Star. He also chaged the Wookies into Ewoks. Now I love Ewoks but I had wish they had been Wookies.

It is also quite clear after reading the prolouge from Star Wars novel. That a lot of the story for the prequels had already been laid out.

The basic outline for the films could be like this.

Anakin is a slave boy on a remote planet that is discovered by a Jedi. He is taken to be train by the Jedi. This is basicly what TPM is just no names or locations.

When he adds names and locations it looks like this.

Anakin a slave boy from Tatooine is discovered by the Jedi Master Qui-Gonn Jinn. Jinn takes him to Corusant to be trained as a Jedi.

Lucas has had the basic outline the whole time. He only had to flesh it out to make the PT.
  10. Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    DarthMaul13: Too late, I already changed my mind! Please read my previous post ;)
  11. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6
    And one has to look no further than the prologue to the original 1976 novelization of A New Hope for evidence that Lucas had always intended for the prequels' stories to be predicated upon the involvement of the Commerce Guilds of the Old Republic, and for Senator Palaptine's eventual rise to be tied up with them...
  12. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    George Lucas has a definate outline of the saga from the very beginning, in the terminology of the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy back in 1977.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.