main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GL sez: EU = Alternate Universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobTheGoon, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Oh, and technically, his words don't apply to anything in the EU, since Splinter of the Minds' Eye, while originally written as the sequel to Star Wars, was later dropped from that role when ESB went into planning.

Therefore, there are only two sequels to Star Wars (A New Hope) - Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and neither of these are Expanded Universe items.

So, technically, his words specifically regarding items being outside of his universe don't apply to the EU at all, while the ones about him not mattering, certainly do. :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    But my point is, he's generalizing when he gives these ages and years. Just as he does about most stuff in any interview.

Maybe you do believe TPM is 30 years before ANH, but Lucas's own timeline says 32, 22 and 20 for I , II and III.

Luke and Leia's ages change. They're 20 and 16 in the novelizations, both 20 by Lucas's official timeline ( assuming Episode III doesn't span any years past - 20 ) and 18 by most EU sources.

There's no continuity errors though. It's just different planetary rotations and timekeeping used. Coruscant, Alderaan, Tatooine etc. :D

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Yep, that's what the Galactic Standard Minute must be used for - the super-secret official time-correction factor. ;)

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I just read the actual thing today. It did not feel like he was saying what is Star Wars and what is not. It is also followed up by a SW merchandise question in which he's asked if he has any SW merchandise. He says he's seen a lot of it, and would like to keep a lot of what he's seen. But that his shelves are not filled with it since he doesn't keep much of it.

Now, since the EU is essentially merchandise in one form or another, it could stand to reason that some of the merchandise he's seen and would like to keep is EU merchandise.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 1999
    Thrawn, my point was that the EU didn't need to be deeply entranched in a rock steady continuity to have validity, but if you really need to have all the dotted lines connected to enjoy the Expanded Universe, who am I to say you're wrong?

However, one thing is clear, the Star Wars continuity is not very tight, at least not as tight as the Babylon 5 continuity.

6. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    My take is this. I refuse to let a few conflicting points here and there ruin the starwars universe for me. It's just to fun to play in to worry that much.

7. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    However, one thing is clear, the Star Wars continuity is not very tight, at least not as tight as the Babylon 5 continuity.

Not very tight? I think it's very tight. More than any other franchise I've ever experienced. I think that Babylon 5 would be the only one with better continuity.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    MM: I agree with you... with the caveat that LFL enforce an arid idea of 'official continuity' which attempts to elide over the most absurd contradictions...

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    Infinities take place in AU. The EU has been touted as the "official continuation of the Star Wars saga, authorized by Lucasfilm."

Also, consider the choice of "Coruscant" as the planetary nama, a Tim Zahn creation.

George Lucas works on the films, and other writers, cheking with him and Sue Rostoni of LFL, keep up continuity and planning ahead.

Otherwise, Star Wars would be Star Trek, with more contradictions than you can shake a stick at.

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Star trek has very few contradictions, if none at all, and if you think it does, you haven't seen every episode, and the refrences they make back to previous episodes. Since books don't count, never did count, nore will count those don't really matter at all.

11. When_Clones_Attack

When_Clones_Attack Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    Um, saying the books don't count implies that ST continuity isn't very good. :p

Especally when the series creator ignored them and the cartoon series.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    No, it just means they don't have to have books to be continuity. It has good inuniverse continuity in the series alone. The creators don't believe they need novels to expand the universe of there films and episodes.

Infact it is paramount that is in controle of the books and spinoff merchandise not the creators.

It is all more for money for paramount than anything else.

As for the cartoon show, it is now considered a part of the continuity according to star trek offical site.

The difference is star wars tries really hard to keep continuity. But lucas could who doesn't touch much of the stuff at all can throw it out of wack.

Whereas with star trek they say it isn't part of continuity to begin with so that they can limit themselves to canon continuity only, and therefore make stories mesh with there ideas and there ideas alone.

Not paramount's spinoff merchandising campaign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.